[APP][NST][NSTG][1.2.x]NTGAppsAttack - Google Apps Installer Addon For NookManager

Search This thread

sun4384

Apr 12, 2012
I tested straygecko's approach instead of adding layout_width, and gtalk didn't crash. It runs fine on execution. Still the keyboard doesn't popup though. Believing that I can find a working alternative, I tried Xabber. Well, it suffered exactly the same problem: no keyboard popping up, and no auto scrolling down to the new message. I tried the same change I suggested for the keyboard issue with gtalk to Xabber, and it did take care of it.

Regarding the scroll issue, the root cause is that android:transcriptMode attribute in the chat_view.xml, which automatically sets the message list view anchored to the bottom, is not supported on NST. You can easily confirm this in the logcat output. Also android:stackFromBottom behaves somehow weirdly because on NST list view always scrolls by page. For example, when there are 25 items on a list that can show 10 items at a time, you can see the items from 1~10, 11~20, and 21~25, but not from 16~25. So, when the list size is smaller than the page size, android:stackFromBottom works fine. However, when bigger, it only shifts the items on the last page, like 21~25 in the previous example, to the bottom.

At least we can do something for the android:transcriptMode issue by force-scrolling the list all the way down whenever the list is updated (new messages on gtalk). Find ChatView$ChatAdapter.smali under smali/com/google/android/talk, and add the following code. What's being done in the code is that scroll events are being monitored, and when there is an update to the message list (except when user manually scrolls), the list is scrolled all the ways down to the last item.

1. add the following after line 24:

.field public mIgnore:I​

2. Find "onScroll" method. Modify its first line to ".locals 1" (from 0 to 1). Then at the end of the same method right before "return-void", insert the following code:

iget v0, p0, Lcom/google/android/talk/ChatView$ChatAdapter;->mIgnore:I
if-nez v0, :ignore

add-int/2addr p2, p3
if-eq p2, p4, :ignore

const/4 v0, 0x1
sub-int/2addr p4, v0
invoke-virtual {p1, p4}, Landroid/widget/AbsListView;->setSelection(I)V

:ignore
const/4 v0, 0x0
iput v0, p0, Lcom/google/android/talk/ChatView$ChatAdapter;->mIgnore:I

3. Find "onScrollStateChanged" method. Then at the end of the method right before "return-void", insert the following code:

iget v0, p0, Lcom/google/android/talk/ChatView$ChatAdapter;->mIgnore:I
const/4 v1, 0x1
xor-int/2addr v0, v1
iput v0, p0, Lcom/google/android/talk/ChatView$ChatAdapter;->mIgnore:I

Read my previous post to figure out how to download, decompile, build, sign, and replace the Talk.apk file. It sounds a bit daunting, but once you go through the process, you can hack any app you want. Also don't forget to apply the other changes (removing "|textShortMessage" from chat_screen.xml, and adding "<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="7" android:targetSdkVersion="9" />" to AndroidManifest.xml as suggested by straygecko).

Regarding the scroll-only-by-page issue, I think we really cannot do anything at this point. Maybe injecting some dummy messages to the beginning of the list? Oh well...

I found some info on the layout_width problem and it seems to apply to the keyboard problem as well. It seems to have something to do with SDK compatibility behaviors. Talk doesn't declare a minimum SDK level its compatible with or a target SDK so Android tries to use some compatibility behaviors for Android 1.0. I found a reference to this problem that said a fix was to declare minimum SDK level 7 and target SDK level 9. I tested that and Talk opens fine, doesn't crash and the keyboard seems to display properly. But I don't use Talk so I don't have any way of testing further. Would you try adding the following line to AndroidManifest.xml without any of the other changes to the layouts you have been trying and let me know how it goes.

Code:
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="7" android:targetSdkVersion="9" />

Goggles2114

Mar 13, 2013
Has anyone figured out what BnN apps to put back in the app directory to get google play/store working again?

MrPuddington

Jan 11, 2011
Hmm.. That's a tough one. The server error is a problem that has affected a lot of people on a lot of different devices ever since the Google "upgrade" to Google Play. Its sounds like you did things right and uninstalling with TiBu and reinstalling from the NTGappsAttack package was a good idea - too bad it didn't work. There is a lot of voodoo out there on things that might work to fix it. Some things I've found you might try are:

• Try a different wifi connection
  • Go into GMail and add a second GMail account
  • Use an app called Market Enabler to add a fake carrier id to your Nook (not sure if this is for phones only)

If none of that works I would restore to your backup from before you started and reinstall GApps.
I had the error two, on all three nooks that I am setting up in fact. So it seems to be quite persistent. I tried a lot of recommendations, clear data, different connection, reinstalling the market, reinstaling Gapps, and nothing helped immediately. However, all three are now magically working, without any changes since the last (failed) attempt.

So my guess would be that this is indeed a server issue, and it just takes some time to resolve it. Does that sound like a good theory? I also wonder whether it has to do with using the search function, and I am sure we could imagine and run a few tests to find out.

apap

Jan 31, 2003
I am unable to install searchMarket from play.google.com because I think the 2nd step verification is not working. I tried to install it as an apk from my sdcard but I get the messge that there is no space. Is this because it is treated as an unknown source?

Without searchmarket and without the ability to install via apk I am stuck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, A.

stannoo

Feb 22, 2012
Sorry to be thick but when I unzip the NTGappsAttack to my SD card and load it I don't see a Install NTGappsAttack option there. All I have is the Custom folder with files/menu/scripts folders and the credit and readme files. What am I doing wrong?

straygecko

Feb 20, 2009
Sorry to be thick but when I unzip the NTGappsAttack to my SD card and load it I don't see a Install NTGappsAttack option there. All I have is the Custom folder with files/menu/scripts folders and the credit and readme files. What am I doing wrong?
Before you unzip NookManager already has the custom folder with subfolders files/menu/scripts. When you unzip NTGAppsAttack it also has the same custom folder & subfolders and the unzip should add those files to the existing custom folder and subfolders already on the sd card. You must have the file /custom/menu/custom on your sdcard for the NTGAppsAttack menu to appear and, of course, all the other NTGAppsAttack files in the appropriate folders for it to work. Then boot NookManager and from the NookManager main menu select More, then Custom, then Install NTGappsAttack.

Reactions: cifa and stannoo

straygecko

Feb 20, 2009
I am unable to install searchMarket from play.google.com because I think the 2nd step verification is not working.
From the OP: If you use Googles 2 step authorization, create and have ready an application specific password since when registering your Nook it won't redirect to the page where you add a generated pin from the Authenticator app.

I tried to install it as an apk from my sdcard but I get the messge that there is no space. Is this because it is treated as an unknown source?

Without searchmarket and without the ability to install via apk I am stuck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, A.
If you never got through authorization its unlikely searchmarket will work or, at least, you won't be able to download and install anything so make sure you get that done first. If you still need to install searchmarket from apk try using ADB as it doesn't get the bogus not enough space message.

Xadious

Mar 20, 2012
If during step 14 i accidentally untick the location tracking box - is there anyway to enable it later on? Is the setting in a file somewhere as i might be able to access it via AirDroid?

Also, anyone have issues with reading mail via Gmail (All Mail section)? A lot of emails don't seem to open. It will show the loading screen for a second but then go back to the previous screen showing all the emails. An example email is the ones you get from ebay when you purchase something or even Amazon and many other emails.

oursoul

Apr 11, 2010
Chippenham
gamersx.co.uk
If during step 14 i accidentally untick the location tracking box - is there anyway to enable it later on? Is the setting in a file somewhere as i might be able to access it via AirDroid?

Also, anyone have issues with reading mail via Gmail (All Mail section)? A lot of emails don't seem to open. It will show the loading screen for a second but then go back to the previous screen showing all the emails. An example email is the ones you get from ebay when you purchase something or even Amazon and many other emails.

Honestly I would do a factory reset and start over again, on mine I tried all sorts of things until I was happy, flashed older OFW's, wiped a few times with CWM, rooted with both the main options here. I've settled with NookManager and NTGAppsAttack and was lucky to get it working first try.

I don't have any issues with gmail, both Amazon and eBay mails are opening just fine. I have 'show pictures' disabled by default on all my gmail browsers but even when I tap 'show pictures' on each email everything loads just fine too.

patp

Oct 27, 2006

I did this too, and Market hasn't updated itself, so Searchmarket isn't appearing even though on play.google.com it lets me do the install. Is location tracking essential?

toibs

Nov 16, 2006
Noob question....

"16. Go back to ReLaunch and open the Market"

Where is this??!!!

(Apologies!)
Cheers

Last edited:

dmreeceuk

Feb 17, 2010
sd card too small

I am a complete beginner and have just rooted my nook, I backed up during the process and used a 4GB sd card. Now when I try to unzipNTGAppsAttack on to the same card to continue with installing all the google stuf the card not big enough. What can I do? Can I take some things off the card or just transfer it all to a bigger card. It put the back up on a separate partition on the card but I cant see it and anyway I don't think if I made space there it would help.
I really don't know what I am doing but after rooting I saw that installing NTAppsAttack was the next thing to do? Any help guys/girls

dmreeceuk

Feb 17, 2010
I am a complete beginner and have just rooted my nook, I backed up during the process and used a 4GB sd card. Now when I try to unzipNTGAppsAttack on to the same card to continue with installing all the google stuf the card not big enough. What can I do? Can I take some things off the card or just transfer it all to a bigger card. It put the back up on a separate partition on the card but I cant see it and anyway I don't think if I made space there it would help.
I really don't know what I am doing but after rooting I saw that installing NTAppsAttack was the next thing to do? Any help guys/girls

Got it working I just needed to adjust the partition on the sd drive to a sensible state the backup partition was huge for 3 books!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nook Touch Google Apps Attack aka NTGAppsAttack

Custom Menu Addon for NookManager
    Google Apps Installer for Nook Simple Touch & Nook Simple Touch Glow firmware 1.2.0 , 1.2.1

Highlights
    • Improved GApps install that uses the setup wizard to register eliminating the YouTube / GMail dance.
    • Market update enabled so Market updates to latest version including in-app purchases.
    • New patching method that should allow quick releases for new firmware versions.

What apps does it install?
    • Installs Google apps to NST/NSTG running firmware 1.20 or 1.2.1 rooted with NookManager
    • Google Market (Play Store)
    • Automatically updates to latest Market for NST/NSTG Android version. Includes in-app purchases.
    • GMail & GMail sync
    • Google Contacts sync
    • Google Calendar & Calendar sync
    • Google Talk
    • Google News & Weather
    • Calculator

What system files get modified?
    • /system/build.prop - set device fingerprint and turns on checkin
    • /data/system/packages.xml - clears signatures so new apps will install properly
    • /system/framework/framework.jar - patches to generate device id & phone type to allow market registration
    • /system/framework/services.jar - patch to start Backup Manager so setup wizard works

Getting ready to Install
    • Root your NST/NSTG using NookManager
    • Make a backup!!
    • Download NTGAppsAttack 0.5.0 for NookManager 0.5.0 (attached at end of post)
    • If you have a reader installed that uses Adobe DRM (Aldiko, Mantano, etc.) and you have authorized it with your Adobe ID you should deauthorize it before installing GApps and reauthorize it afterwards. If you don't the change to your Android Id that happens as part of the GApps install process will invalidate your Adobe authorization and force you to reauthorize. This counts against your device limit for Adobe authorizations (6 authorized devices). If you forget to deauthorize first and you run up against the limit you will need to contact Adobe to reset your device authorizations.
    • Do not disable BN Apps or reenable them before installing NTGAppsAttack
    • If you use Googles 2 step authorization, create and have ready an application specific password since when registering your Nook it won't redirect to the page where you add a generated pin from the Authenticator app.
    • Connect to wireless before powering off and installing NTGAppsAttack so that when you boot up after installing you'll be connected and ready to register your Nook.

** Warning **
    I have tested this on my Nook Simple Touch. It works for me. I think it will work for you. But it might not. It might brick your Nook.
    You must root your Nook using NookManager before installing NTGAppsAttack. Using NTGAppsAttack on a Nook rooted using any other method will probably break some stuff you like. Maybe even your Nook.
    I haven't tested this on a Nook Simple Touch Glow. But the XDA forum talk is that it runs the same firmware as the Nook Simple Touch from 1.2.0 forward. NookManager roots a NSTG same as a NST and all seems rosy. So I assume NTGAppsAttack will work fine on a NSTG. But it might not.
    Install at your own risk.
    ** Warning **

** Important **
    Your version number of NTGappsAttack should match the version of NookManager you are using as NTGappsAttack replaces a file that is patched by NookManager. If your versions don't match things might not work when you're done. Updates to NTGappsAttack for the same version of NookManager will add a suffix to the NookManager version. For example the first NTGAppsAttack release for NookManger version 0.5.0 is NTGppsAttack version 0.5.0. An update to NTGappsAttack for NookManager 0.5.0 will be NTGppsAttack version 0.5.0.1 or 0.5.0.2, etc.
    ** Important **

** Important **
    ** Important **
    ** Important **
    Make a backup before you get started! NookManager makes it easy. Thanks jeff_kz!
    Make a backup before you get started! NookManager makes it easy. Thanks jeff_kz!
    ** Important **
    ** Important **
    ** Important **

OK, I'm ready to Install
    • Make sure your NookManager and NTGAppsAttack versions match (see above).
    • Make sure your have rooted your Nook with NookManager and all is working correctly.
    • Deauthorize any readers you have installed and authorized with your Adobe ID.
    • Unzip the NTGAppsAttack zip file into the the root of your NookManager microSD card
    • Power off your Nook
    • Insert NookManager microSD card into your Nook
    • Power on your Nook and let NookManager load
    • From the main NookManager screen select More, then Custom, then Install NTGappsAttack
    • If all goes well, select Back, Back, Exit, eject your microSD card and let your Nook boot

** Important **
      Once your Nook has booted you need to follow the next steps without delay. You don't need to rush but you need to move through them without interruption. Your Nook will be downloading an update to the Market while you are doing these steps. You need to be done before the update is installed. Otherwise when you open the Market you'll get a "server error" message. If that happens tap Cancel on the message and the Market will close. Go back to ReLaunch. Long press on the Market and select Uninstall and let it uninstall the update. When its done Market will still be there in ReLaunch. Immediately open the Market and pick up at step 14 again. And don't get interrupted this time. :) If the "server error" message persists try restoring your backup and try registering using a different GMail account.
      Why didn't I preinstall the update? For some reason it doesn't work and won't communicate with the Google servers.
      ** Important **

• Touch the Android to begin
    • Skip the tutorial
    • Tap Sign In
    • Enter your gmail account and password and tap Sign In
    • Leave location tracking boxes checked and tap Next
    • Uncheck Backup Settings to My Google Account box and tap Finish (You can try leaving backup checked but I haven't tested it as I use Titanium Backup)
    • Go back to ReLaunch and open the Market
    • Accept the Terms & Conditions
    • Tap on Apps
    • Tap on All applications
    • Tap on Top Free
    • Tap on one of the Apps and install it. Any one of them, it doesn't matter which, you can uninstall it later.
    • Exit the Market.
    • You're not quite done yet. Keep reading.

This gets the process of connecting your Nook with the Google Market servers going. At this point you are hooked up with Gmail, Contacts and Calendar syncing to your Nook. Try Gmail and Calendar out. You'll see your appointments in the Calendar and contacts in Gmail but the Contacts app isn't installed because it doesn't work on the NST/NSTG. Try Go Contacts EX once the Market is up and working. Now you need to take a break to let Google's servers get all cozy with your Nook before the Market will work properly. For me it usually takes less than an hour but it might take longer. As long as 24 hours+ has been reported for other GApps install methods. I think the installing of the free app speeds things up so I don't think you'll have to wait that long.

To see if the Market is ready:
    • Go to http://play.google.com - its most reliable to do this from your PC
    • Search for SearchMarket
    • Click on Install
    • Open the Send To dropdown. You should see a device called "phone". Thats your Nook. Select it and click Install. If it responds "the app will be downloaded to your device shortly" your Nook and Google have cozied up nicely. If you dont't see "phone", it won't let you select "phone" or gives you an "Oops we had trouble with this request" error when you click install you need to wait longer. Once it says it will be downloaded, back on your Nook open the Market again. It should look different. You've been automagically upgraded to the most current version of the Market app supported on our Nooks. It supports in-app purchases if you care. You should see a notification balloon in your status bar. Tap on it and the message should say SearchMarket has been installed. Now you can use SearchMarket on your Nook to find apps and install them (search in the Market app is broken). If you don't get the installed notification continue on.
    • Open the Market on your Nook.
    • Tap on My Apps.
    • Tap on SearchMarket to install it.

Missing and/or Broken Stuff
    • Market Search doesn't work - Use SearchMarket from the Market per above instructions
    • No Contacts app - try Go Contacts EX from the Market - default and iPhone themes are decent on our eInk displays
    • No Google Books - see this thread on Google Books[/URL]
    • No YouTube, Maps, etc. - download them from the Market
    • How to change sync settings - Go into Gmail, open the menu and tap on Add Account. Add your same Google account again and you'll get a screen that will let you select what you want synced. Don't worry, it won't really add the account twice.

Thanks to:
    jeff_kz - NookManager NST/NSTG 1.20+ firmware rooter
    GabrialDestruir - for working examples of how its done TouchNooter and GlowNooter
    Decad3nce - doc of how to patch framework.jar
    clockworx - original development of framework.jar patch
    Mistar Muffin - getting gapps to work on Nook Color
    nookdevs - nook color calendar sync / how to get to account & sync settings
    CyanogenMod - archive of old gapps files

For Developers:
    • Source is on github for my patches and build system Feel free to use any of it in your rooters or other tools.
    • I got the setup wizard to work with a patch to services.jar to start the Backup Manager. It was looking to populate its checkbox for backing up apps & data up to Google.
    • The patch is written as an awk script to eliminate problems with line number and baksmali label changes with firmware changes. I rewrote the patch to framework.jar as an awk script as well.
    • I had to pull the MarketUpdater.apk from a different gapps package to get a matched pair of vending.apk and MarketUpdater.apk signed with the same cert. Otherwise MarketUpdater would fail. I tried just using everything from the EPF30 package but it seemed a bit flaky in its communications with the Google servers. YMMV.
    • Cert mismatches may have been why I added a sed to delete the certs for uid.shared in packages.xml as well as the usual uid.system. After dozens of reinstalls I can't remember. It looks like now a different shared user id is added to packages.xml and the one the certs are removed from doesn't have any certs added to it. So maybe this isn't needed with my final selection of GApps apk's but it doesn't hurt either.
    Thank you, this is helpful.

So is there any way to get Pocket and Kindle reader on this tablet? If yes, how?

If no, then how do I remove my Android credentials from this tablet completely? I'd like to eBay this device and put that $30 towards an Onyx Boox C67ML Carta.

You can sideload the Kindle app from here: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024062

You will also need to update the cacerts.bks file because the security certificate for amazon.com that's in the device has expired. Once you do that, the Kindle app should function just fine. Instructions here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65503037&postcount=24

Pocket is another issue. There was a lot of buzz about it on the forum. Not sure if there was a resolution. You might search the forum for "pocket" and see what was decided (if anything). As with most apps, finding a version that will run on Android 2.1 and still log in to servers is often difficult since so many layers of security have been added since 2.1 and often the NST just can't navigate through the hoops.

As for removing a Google link from a device, many people would like to know how to get Google out of their devices once it's in. If you do a factory re-image (turn off, turn on and as soon as the screen changes hold both lower hardware buttons until the prompt comes up, then continue), anything you've done will be wiped out and the NST left in out-of-the-box condition. For all the reasons already discussed, it's unlikely someone will want to install GApps on the device if purchased. But there is no way I know to remove a device from Google's hive mind.

Actually, I'd be surprised if your device shows up in Google. Mine does not and I logged in a long time ago when we still had PlayStore access. My device "disappeared" after the denial of access to Android 2.1.

Always meant to pick up an extra NST or even NSTG to experiment with but never did it. I guess I should look into that since there are now so many developing issues with older schemes that are no longer working properly.
    I`ve followed all the steps in the post. Everything seems to work, but I got only three apps in the market. I tryed intalling all kinds of opera, including opera mobile, but it says that device is not compatible. Please help!?!:confused:

To my knowledge there is no longer a version of Opera available on the Play Store that will work with the NST/G.

I've attached a generic version of the last Opera Mobile that will install and run. It's what I use.

It's hard to know sometimes which apps to choose from the Market but you might make a start by checking out some of the recent sample configurations posted in this thread (and even find more apps to sideload, by-passing the Market completely).
    Before you unzip NookManager already has the custom folder with subfolders files/menu/scripts. When you unzip NTGAppsAttack it also has the same custom folder & subfolders and the unzip should add those files to the existing custom folder and subfolders already on the sd card. You must have the file /custom/menu/custom on your sdcard for the NTGAppsAttack menu to appear and, of course, all the other NTGAppsAttack files in the appropriate folders for it to work. Then boot NookManager and from the NookManager main menu select More, then Custom, then Install NTGappsAttack.
    Hope I'm not too late to this party...

I just bought a Nook Simple Touch this week. and I'm having difficulty w/ NTGAppsAttack.

I can't get the Market app to work, even when I try deleting it and quickly opening it again. All I see is "Web Page Not Available"

Similarly, the Gmail and Calendar apps do not work (though tbh I'd like to remove them if possible)

Any advice is much appreciated. My end goal is to have 2 apps: Pocket and Kindle Reader. That's it. That's all I need.

Here's what I've done so far:
    -Successfully installed NookManager
    -Installed NTGappsAttack onto the Nook Manager SD card (and MERGED the 2 Custom folders)
    -Got the Android icon on my Nook and logged into my Android account using a 1-time password

I see the Google apps (Gmail, Market, Calendar) in my app drawer, but none of them work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!!!
    Well, as it happens, you are late to the party. Last year Google cut off Market access to devices running 2.1. See https://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/general/google-support-android-market-android-2-t3625175

FWIW, GMail never worked properly. It would receive OK but had to be reinstalled constantly because it would freeze up sending after a few messages. Calendar never worked. There may still be some 3rd party apps with calendar sync capability for the NST, but you'd have to hunt. Start by searching the forum for "calendar". You'll find a discussion (which may now be out of date).

It is currently a moot point whether there is any point in installing GApps unless you want to run the last remaining version of Google Books. For that you need the behind-the-scenes syncing capability of GApps. No telling how much longer that may continue to work. See https://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/general/gapps-post-market-era-t3656982 for a longer discussion.

What's not known is whether the older apps that will still run on the NST require GFS (Google Famework Services) to run. Many current apps do. I have the Market app disabled on my NST and all of my apps still run OK, but there's more to GFS than just the vending app, so someone will have to test this eventually. In the meantime, you've got GApps installed so it should not be an issue for you.

As for Market access, most apps that are useful are so old they are not in the Market any longer and you need to hunt them down (or ask around) and sideload them (many choices in the package in my signature, including a slim email client), but if you want access to the Market anyway, you can install the Yalp Store. See https://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/general/regain-market-acccess-nst-g-t3662594 for more discussion. The version I currently have installed (0.33) works really well, but you do have to update it occasionally when Google changes something in their api.

The good news? You didn't do anything wrong :D