[Q] Nexus 7 Fastboot Does Not Work

Search This thread

justasiam

Dec 16, 2012
I am sorry if this topic is covered in other threads. I search around and could only find the developer thread and I am not yet allowed to post there.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I have a new Nexus 7 running Jelly Bean 4.2.1. I have activated developer mode and checked the "USB Debugging" box. Other than that, it is in the default configuration.

I want to root it, so I went to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1809195 and downloaded the Google Nexus Toolkit.

After identifying my device (Android 4.2.1 (Build JPP40D) for Wi-Fi Only 32GB), the first option was the install drivers. I did that. The 2nd step was to backup the device and I did that with no problems.

The 3rd step was to Unlock the Bootloader (requires Fastboot Mode). When I try to do this, it says that a Fastboot Device was not found.

I am at a loss here as to what to do?

I have some screencaps. I hope this helps.

Ideas?

Attachments

• DeviceManager.jpg
    DeviceManager.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,421
  • GoogleNexus7ADBInterfaceDriverDetails.jpg
    GoogleNexus7ADBInterfaceDriverDetails.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,334
  • GoogleNexus7ADBInterfaceProperties.jpg
    GoogleNexus7ADBInterfaceProperties.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,134
  • Nexus7DriverFileDetails.jpg
    Nexus7DriverFileDetails.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,733
  • Nexus7DriverProperties.jpg
    Nexus7DriverProperties.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,696

justasiam

Dec 16, 2012

TY, this says I need to be able to use "adb and fastboot". That is the problem. I do NOT know anything about fastboot. I turn off my nexus and then hold the volume up and volume down buttons then turn it on. I get a screen that looks like the image I have attached.

However, I do not know what to do from here. I press the volume up and down keys to change "Start" other options, but Fastboot is not one of the options.

Ideas?

Attachments

• Google-Nexus-7-Fastboot-Mode.jpg
    Google-Nexus-7-Fastboot-Mode.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,745

strafe_dog

Dec 5, 2012
You don't have the right drivers installed. When you see the boot loader screen, you should see 'android fast boot interface' or similar in your device manager.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

adamz2013

Jan 4, 2013
Unfortunatly no one will help you here, they will just give you links to docs you have already read.

Keep clicking OK a few times, it might find it.
if not, then, press the volume down button until it says reboot bootloader or reboot recovery, sorry i can not remember 100% right now,
press ok a few times more, well keep pressing it and it will find it

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
Unfortunatly no one will help you here, they will just give you links to docs you have already read.

You are replying to a post from December 16th. Doubtful that the OP is still waiting on an answer.

Nice pot shot at people that do try to help, though. Either that or an unmet entitlement issue. No one in here is entitled to an answer for anything. Anything you or others provide in response to an inquiry is a gift, plain and simple. The answers might even be completely wrong or crap; but they are still a gift.

If the OP is still waiting, then they should know that all the detail that they showed (screenshots) are immaterial as they were taken with the device booted into the OS (composite ADB + MTP/PTP showing in Device Manager) instead of the mode that was having communication difficulties - fastboot/bootloader mode.

Immaterial information does not imply that the wrong driver is installed for a different operating mode for which similar information was not provided.

Most of the trouble in these types of post are due to the fact that the posters have no clue how WINDOWS drivers are managed/installed/ etc. That has everything to do with WINDOWS and user skills, and almost nothing to do with the device on the other end of the cable.

Having said that, the principal reason there is confusion is due to the following set of circumstances:

- Casual Windows users are "accustomed to" doing a single install of a driver package when they buy a new device. Even when that device might have many logical endpoints across the USB bus. (Think of a multi-function printer - it might have an SD card slot on it, the printer, a scanner function, etc). When that multifunction behavior exists, usually the OEM provides a "driver installer" package which will actually install multiple drivers, depending on the plurality of USB endpoints in the device.

- Unfortunately, if you carefully inspect any of these three driver bundles:

- Google (SDK) USB Driver
- Asus Nexus 7 USB Driver
- XDA "Universal Naked Driver"

you will find that (as shipped) NONE OF THEM will work for all of the following modes of the Nexus 7:

- Fastboot mode
- ADB Mode, OS (Single or Composite)
- ADB Mode, Custom Recovery
- APX Mode
- PTP Mode*
- MTP Mode*

That's right. As shipped NONE OF THEM will handle all of these cases. The "as shipped" part is a reference to the fact that a trivial edit of the "android_winusb.inf" file for any of them will allow a single driver to handle all fastboot and ADB modes.*

* The MTP/PTP drivers are meant to be handled by MS Windows generic class drivers; in the case of Windows XP you might need to install a Windows Media package to get the MTP driver - I'm not sure that it is part of Vanilla XP SP3

So, anyhow - people get confused because they "install the driver" for one mode (usually ADB), and then are surprised when they boot the device into a different mode (fastboot or ADB running under custom recovery) and surprise, surprise - their PC says "unknown device".

My advice?

Install the Asus Nexus 7 Driver for everything but the Custom Recovery ADB mode, and then install the Universal Naked Driver for that.

Or, prior to installation fix up the android_winusb.inf file that comes with the Asus driver so that it also supports

%GoogleNexus7ADBInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001
%GoogleNexus7ADBInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001&REV_9999

Then a single driver will support everything but APX, MTP, and PTP. The latter two of which are provided by Mister$oftie, and the first of which is currently of unknown value to Nexus 7 rooters.

cheers

Last edited:

juicejuice

Jul 15, 2007
Gold Coast
That is actually a nice clear description, worthy of a wikipedia entry :) Seriously though the driver situation with Android gives me the sh17s sometimes.

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
That is actually a nice clear description, worthy of a wikipedia entry :) Seriously though the driver situation with Android gives me the sh17s sometimes.

Neither Linux nor OS/X require any drivers to use either ADB or fastboot.

It's a Windows problem, not an Android problem.

318sugarhill

Aug 31, 2010
Neither Linux nor OS/X require any drivers to use either ADB or fastboot.

It's a Windows problem, not an Android problem.

I am a Mac user, and I'm having problems with fastboot. My nexus is unlocked, and I'm trying to flash the lastest 5.1 factory image. I was rooted long ago, but really have no need for root, and lost it during one of the OTA's. I'm not a noob by any means, but none of my terminal commands are working, because fastboot has decided to disappear on me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I can't even get TWRP because I don't have root, and I can't get into fastboot.

Edit.....I'm an idiot....I figured it out. On top of it all, my USB cable sucks too so that didn't help any.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You are replying to a post from December 16th. Doubtful that the OP is still waiting on an answer.

Nice pot shot at people that do try to help, though. Either that or an unmet entitlement issue. No one in here is entitled to an answer for anything. Anything you or others provide in response to an inquiry is a gift, plain and simple. The answers might even be completely wrong or crap; but they are still a gift.

If the OP is still waiting, then they should know that all the detail that they showed (screenshots) are immaterial as they were taken with the device booted into the OS (composite ADB + MTP/PTP showing in Device Manager) instead of the mode that was having communication difficulties - fastboot/bootloader mode.

Immaterial information does not imply that the wrong driver is installed for a different operating mode for which similar information was not provided.

Most of the trouble in these types of post are due to the fact that the posters have no clue how WINDOWS drivers are managed/installed/ etc. That has everything to do with WINDOWS and user skills, and almost nothing to do with the device on the other end of the cable.

Having said that, the principal reason there is confusion is due to the following set of circumstances:

- Casual Windows users are "accustomed to" doing a single install of a driver package when they buy a new device. Even when that device might have many logical endpoints across the USB bus. (Think of a multi-function printer - it might have an SD card slot on it, the printer, a scanner function, etc). When that multifunction behavior exists, usually the OEM provides a "driver installer" package which will actually install multiple drivers, depending on the plurality of USB endpoints in the device.

- Unfortunately, if you carefully inspect any of these three driver bundles:

- Google (SDK) USB Driver
    - Asus Nexus 7 USB Driver
    - XDA "Universal Naked Driver"

you will find that (as shipped) NONE OF THEM will work for all of the following modes of the Nexus 7:

- Fastboot mode
    - ADB Mode, OS (Single or Composite)
    - ADB Mode, Custom Recovery
    - APX Mode
    - PTP Mode*
    - MTP Mode*

That's right. As shipped NONE OF THEM will handle all of these cases. The "as shipped" part is a reference to the fact that a trivial edit of the "android_winusb.inf" file for any of them will allow a single driver to handle all fastboot and ADB modes.*

* The MTP/PTP drivers are meant to be handled by MS Windows generic class drivers; in the case of Windows XP you might need to install a Windows Media package to get the MTP driver - I'm not sure that it is part of Vanilla XP SP3

So, anyhow - people get confused because they "install the driver" for one mode (usually ADB), and then are surprised when they boot the device into a different mode (fastboot or ADB running under custom recovery) and surprise, surprise - their PC says "unknown device".

My advice?

Install the Asus Nexus 7 Driver for everything but the Custom Recovery ADB mode, and then install the Universal Naked Driver for that.

Or, prior to installation fix up the android_winusb.inf file that comes with the Asus driver so that it also supports

%GoogleNexus7ADBInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001
    %GoogleNexus7ADBInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001&REV_9999

Then a single driver will support everything but APX, MTP, and PTP. The latter two of which are provided by Mister$oftie, and the first of which is currently of unknown value to Nexus 7 rooters.

cheers