***Emergency Thread*** Here To Help!

Search This thread

...Awesome...

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 10, 2010
Chicago
plus.google.com
I have created this thread for all you SG-SIII Noobs & Senior Members!

The purpose of this thread is to limit the number of (sometimes useless) threads, that are created over a simple problem that can easily be solved by READING OR SEARCHING.

This is the Emergency thread!

*Did you run into a problem and need quick assistance?

*Do you have a question or concern about your SG-SIII device?

Don't panic just ask here and I or WE THE SG-SIII COMMUNITY will gladly help!

Rayman0625

Dec 3, 2008
New York
Okay I guess I'll be the first to post.

About an hour ago my phone shut off at 26% battery (16gb galaxy S3 running CM10.1 nightly 01/16). As I went to turn it back on it will boot into the CM splash screen spin a few times and just shut off. I attempted to charge it, and turn it back on but same thing. After that an attempt to get into CWM, which I was able to get in and it shut off while I was in it. I also tried putting the phone in download mode and about the same time frame it took for the other attempts resulted in a shut down.

Any advice? Or am I stuck doing a warranty exchange?

...Awesome...

Jul 10, 2010
Chicago
plus.google.com
Okay I guess I'll be the first to post.

About an hour ago my phone shut off at 26% battery (16gb galaxy S3 running CM10.1 nightly 01/16). As I went to turn it back on it will boot into the CM splash screen spin a few times and just shut off. I attempted to charge it, and turn it back on but same thing. After that an attempt to get into CWM, which I was able to get in and it shut off while I was in it. I also tried putting the phone in download mode and about the same time frame it took for the other attempts resulted in a shut down.

Any advice? Or am I stuck doing a warranty exchange?

Sounds like its your battery not a hardware problem. Leave it overnight or a couple hours charging and if it indeed boots up its your battery.

If it doesn't then flash stock and test it if the same result then call up that Warranty. I've seen this same issue with other devices where the battery dies at 50%+ and usually replacing the battery fixes the problem. Test your battery for overheating or swollen.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Rayman0625

Dec 3, 2008
New York
Sounds like its your battery not a hardware problem. Leave it overnight or a couple hours charging and if it indeed boots up its your battery.

If it doesn't then flash stock and test it if the same result then call up that Warranty. I've seen this same issue with other devices where the battery dies at 50%+ and usually replacing the battery fixes the problem. Test your battery for overheating or swollen.

The battery isnt swollen, thats one of the things I checked also. I thought it might be that, the only other option I have is to try a different battery. The good thing is I work in a tmobile store so im gonna give that a shot tomorrow.

lintz

Aug 21, 2011
Sv: ***Emergency Thread*** Here To Help!

Can you start it without battery connected to the wall charger? If so try wipe cache. Or after reflash ROM.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

...Awesome...

Jul 10, 2010
Chicago
plus.google.com
The battery isnt swollen, thats one of the things I checked also. I thought it might be that, the only other option I have is to try a different battery. The good thing is I work in a tmobile store so im gonna give that a shot tomorrow.

Even better then lol just test it out at work. I'm about 80% its your battery specially if you OV/UC.

heartspains88

Jun 4, 2010
I have the t-mobile US t999.

Last night I was having an odd issue with the networking dropping. I've had the phone for about a month, modded since day 1 with a CM10 variation of a rom (sorry, I forget the exact rom). I had no issues whatsoever up until this point. After a few restarts thinking maybe it was a fluke issue with the network, or network signal in my room, the phone forced itself into emergency call mode only. I couldn't get it to come out.

So I decided I was going to odin on a stock rom as I could get it into download mode, that went through successfully. When the phone boots, I get the android taking off (Tmobile 4g) logo. Then the white samsung logo, and it doesn't go beyond this. I know this can take long so I left it there for about an hour, nothing. The phone also displays a blue led the entire time it's hanging as well.

Also worth noting, when I attempt to boot into recovery it just vibrates over and over.

Not sure what my next steps should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mattedwards2686

Oct 16, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
I have the t-mobile US t999.

Last night I was having an odd issue with the networking dropping. I've had the phone for about a month, modded since day 1 with a CM10 variation of a rom (sorry, I forget the exact rom). I had no issues whatsoever up until this point. After a few restarts thinking maybe it was a fluke issue with the network, or network signal in my room, the phone forced itself into emergency call mode only. I couldn't get it to come out.

So I decided I was going to odin on a stock rom as I could get it into download mode, that went through successfully. When the phone boots, I get the android taking off (Tmobile 4g) logo. Then the white samsung logo, and it doesn't go beyond this. I know this can take long so I left it there for about an hour, nothing. The phone also displays a blue led the entire time it's hanging as well.

Also worth noting, when I attempt to boot into recovery it just vibrates over and over.

Not sure what my next steps should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
after you odin, you need to wipe data/ factory reset to boot. If you can't get into recovery ( Power, Home Button, and Volume Up), then try reflashing your stock image in Odin and check your MD5 sum, so you can rule out a bad download

heartspains88

Jun 4, 2010
Thanks for the reply, I'm re-downloading the stock rom now to verify it's integrity and do a new flash. I cannot get into recovery, so we will see after the new flash. Pleading ignorance on one subject, how would I go about checking the MD5 sum to verify the file has no issues?

Additionally I did try to Odin recovery and still could not boot into it, this was however before attempting to re-download and flash a stock rom again.

**Edit//Update** Re-downloaded and flashed stock rom, was able to get into recovery and wipe, booted up fine.

Last edited:

frettfreak

Jan 19, 2010
Apple Valley, CA
Wow.. great idea for a thread and THANK YOU!!

Perfect timing too cause i need a little help please.

I am not new to android but new to samsung (WOW, didnt realize it would be so different from HTC ont he rooting and flashing side of things).

Long story short. I have a tmo s3. Bought it today and wanted to root. phone was working perfectly as it shoudl on stock rom unrooted. I downloaded the tool kit v7, used that to root adn install TWRP and rebooted into the stock rom that is now rooted. Still everything working perfect.
Here is what i did next and where the issues start.

Downloaded Synergy r290, went to recovery.
Wiped Cache, Dalvik, Data, and System (made a backup first)
flashed the rom and rebooted to system

However, nothing ever happened. I see the samsung logo, then all goes black and nothing happens (left it there for 10min)

I cant seem to get back into recovery holding vol up, home and power either and have no adb access to use that. I AM able to get into download mode which i know i can fix my problem here with odin, but i am just not sure what to flash and where.

Is there an easier way??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Towle

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2010
The Wild

I am not new to android but new to samsung (WOW, didnt realize it would be so different from HTC ont he rooting and flashing side of things).

Long story short. I have a tmo s3. Bought it today and wanted to root. phone was working perfectly as it shoudl on stock rom unrooted. I downloaded the tool kit v7, used that to root adn install TWRP and rebooted into the stock rom that is now rooted. Still everything working perfect.

However, nothing ever happened. I see the samsung logo, then all goes black and nothing happens (left it there for 10min)

I cant seem to get back into recovery holding vol up, home and power either and have no adb access to use that. I AM able to get into download mode which i know i can fix my problem here with odin, but i am just not sure what to flash and where.

Is there an easier way??

If you absolutely can't get into recovery to restore your backup..

Flash the UVDLJA root66 file in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1949687 via odin. You will have the latest UVDLJA JB update, and will be rooted. From there, install goo manager from the play store to flash TWRP.

After that you're all set to flash whatever you want (just make sure it's for the Tmobile s3).

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

frettfreak

Jan 19, 2010
Apple Valley, CA

Flash the UVDLJA root66 file in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1949687 via odin. You will have the latest UVDLJA JB update, and will be rooted. From there, install goo manager from the play store to flash TWRP.

After that you're all set to flash whatever you want (just make sure it's for the Tmobile s3).

Ok, easy enough, but do i put that in the PDA field in Odin or phone?

This sounds MUCh easier than what i thought i would have to do.. thanks a ton!

ohshootrawr

Dec 28, 2010
Ewa Beach
Weird problem. When I set kernel frequencies on my phone, they at some point get locked at the maximum frequency. This has happened every time I flash a new ROM or kernel, and I'm worried that it will soon start to affect the battery. I'm using the msmdvcs governor on both kernels that I've tried (stock and faux)

...Awesome...

Jul 10, 2010
Chicago
plus.google.com
Weird problem. When I set kernel frequencies on my phone, they at some point get locked at the maximum frequency. This has happened every time I flash a new ROM or kernel, and I'm worried that it will soon start to affect the battery. I'm using the msmdvcs governor on both kernels that I've tried (stock and faux)

Do u happened to have apps that control frequency like setcpu etc? They might be conflicting each other

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have created this thread for all you SG-SIII Noobs & Senior Members!

The purpose of this thread is to limit the number of (sometimes useless) threads, that are created over a simple problem that can easily be solved by READING OR SEARCHING.

This is the Emergency thread!

*Did you run into a problem and need quick assistance?

*Do you have a question or concern about your SG-SIII device?

Don't panic just ask here and I or WE THE SG-SIII COMMUNITY will gladly help!

Is there an easier way??

Ok, easy enough, but do i put that in the PDA field in Odin or phone?

This sounds MUCh easier than what i thought i would have to do.. thanks a ton!

Just upload the file to PDA and hit start. Make sure to let it finish completely, once the phone reboots, it's done.

thanks alot guys!!
    got it up and running
    ill be more careful from now on to make sure im flashing the right gapps!!!!
    ok i found the new version for twrp

but cant seem to find adb shell does anyone have a link for this?

Extract the twrp8.img from the zip file to your sdcard. Open terminal on your phone and type "su" then hit enter. Type "dd if=/sdcard/twrp8.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18" andd hit enter. Let it do it's thing and type "reboot recovery" and you should restart into the new recovery.

Its easier that ADB specially if you don't know what ADB is.

Edit: replace twrp8.IMG with the name of the one you downloaded