[Q] Windows Phone 8 on WP7 devices?

Search This thread

PhoneTamer

May 30, 2009
Brandon
I've looked, but i can't seem to find much on this. Does anyone know if Windows Phone 8 will be able to run on my 1st Gen Samsung Focus when it's released, or will it be too much for the older hardware to handle?

elpinta25

Mar 1, 2012
I understood what I have is that if Tango will be available for first-generation devices and Apollo will not get to see it because multicore devices will run normal and the technology advances and we will remove our devices and buy a new one, asin is the technology :D

downloaderintruder

Jul 1, 2008
I remember reading somewhere that 1st Gen won't , but 2nd gen will. can't remember the source though. If I find it, I'll post a link.

Oh sure, even low-range Tango devices, which is apparently 2nd<->3rd gen devices, will get Apollo, and mid-range 1st gen devices dont? Its been said, all current WP's WILL GET Apollo, only with a few missing features due to hardware limitations. Its like those HTC devices, 1st gens don't have extra features like STK and Camera Mode, whereas 2nd gens have these nifty features.

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
Let me rub my crystal ball.... No answer

To the OP, you need to wait till there is More info, When they are starting beta testing, then I am sure by then everyone on XDA will know.

I'm starting to hate these posts. Like anyone here can tell the future...

I guess it could be worse, I could have a Android phone waiting for ICS from their carrier...

Last edited:

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
All of you guys are just making assumptions and going off of rumors that some blogger has pulled out of their ass, lol. I personally feel it will be upgradable, especially considering Microsoft's history with being able to install an OS on significantly older hardware. Yes, we might be missing features, but, hello, the same thing happened on Mango. Afaik I don't have a gyroscope, so guess what, my phone doesn't utilize it. And that's my assumption on what's going to happen with Apollo. All devices will get it, it'll just have the tango-effect in the marketplace and with features.

EgoMaximus

Mar 14, 2010
I am not sure how many IT techs are aware of the new MS approach, but let me tell you this, as from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sinofsky

Sinofsky's philosophy on Windows 7 was to not make any promises about the product or even discuss anything about the product until Microsoft was sure that it felt like a quality product. This was a radical departure from Microsoft's typical way of handling in-development versions of Windows, which was to publicly share all plans and details about it early in development cycle. Sinofsky also refrained from labeling versions of Windows "major" or "minor", and to instead just call them releases.

This is what they do with all MS products right now.

Feb 18, 2012
I am not sure how many IT techs are aware of the new MS approach, but let me tell you this, as from Wikipedia

Sinofsky's philosophy on Windows 7 was to not make any promises about the product or even discuss anything about the product until Microsoft was sure that it felt like a quality product. This was a radical departure from Microsoft's typical way of handling in-development versions of Windows, which was to publicly share all plans and details about it early in development cycle. Sinofsky also refrained from labeling versions of Windows "major" or "minor", and to instead just call them releases.

From talks with a few Microsoft employees, I can tell you that are hard feelings in Redmond about Mango.

Apparently, Mango was announced way too early. As a result, competitors were able to copy features and Windows Phone Mango weren't impressive compare to the competitors.

In addition, Microsoft is furious about Pocketnow's Apollo leak. In fact, furious is an understatement.

EgoMaximus

Mar 14, 2010
From talks with a few Microsoft employees, I can tell you that are hard feelings in Redmond about Mango.

Apparently, Mango was announced way too early. As a result, competitors were able to copy features and Windows Phone Mango weren't impressive compare to the competitors.

In addition, Microsoft is furious about Pocketnow's Apollo leak. In fact, furious is an understatement.

Why was it shown to so many Nokia employees anyway? I understand if it was CEO only and few execs but now?

Are they trying to do something about it?

Last edited:

sure haven't

Feb 5, 2009

I'm not sure what their competitors apparently copied? Mango brought the wp platform to 2009 standards.

I was originally told that ALL WP devices will get at least 2 major revision updates in their life cycle. Read that carefully. 2 Major revision -- Mango is a major revision. Tango is a minor update. So I'd assume Apollo will be the next major one. So ALL phones currently in the market will get Apollo.

Which is a big issue for OEMs since OEMs would rather sell you a new phone (see Android). WP also does not need multicore devices to function well anyways... so... I think we'll see Apollo on all of our devices.

Reactions: Kenzibit

steve10

Dec 10, 2005
I was originally told that ALL WP devices will get at least 2 major revision updates in their life cycle. Read that carefully. 2 Major revision -- Mango is a major revision. Tango is a minor update. So I'd assume Apollo will be the next major one. So ALL phones currently in the market will get Apollo.

Which is a big issue for OEMs since OEMs would rather sell you a new phone (see Android). WP also does not need multicore devices to function well anyways... so... I think we'll see Apollo on all of our devices.
We were also once told that wireless carriers wouldn't be able to permanently hold back multiple updates; yet, AT&T continues to delay (or block, as they won't confirm either) 7740 and 8107 for all of their devices. I wouldn't believe anything you hear today, regardless of the source. When summer or fall comes around and Apollo is in the near future, I'd say that's when we'll begin to find out what their plans are. Though with wireless carriers taking more control of the update ecosystem (through the increasing lack of update transparency this year) I wouldn't be surprised if there is no official announcement from Microsoft at all. If Microsoft makes an Apollo build available for older generation devices I'd expect most carriers to sit on it for months, that is, if they ever release it.

Kenzibit

Mar 4, 2012
Accra
Google Pixel 4 XL
Who knows, MSFT will be surprising us all in a good way. I hope they know what we talk about in forums coz they READ what we write...I bet you there's a MSFT guy here among us and reading our posts....and I'm telling that guy right now that, MSFT will be DAMNED to not upgrade 1st gen phones....NO DOUBT!!!

EgoMaximus

Mar 14, 2010
Who knows, MSFT will be surprising us all in a good way. I hope they know what we talk about in forums coz they READ what we write...I bet you there's a MSFT guy here among us and reading our posts....and I'm telling that guy right now that, MSFT will be DAMNED to not upgrade 1st gen phones....NO DOUBT!!!

LOL, people already whine about no WP8 update, yet they have no idea what it will bring to the table, all they want is a number. All I care about is bit locker encryption and quad core CPU, there is no way WP8 update will add this on my device.

- I want WP8 update
- Why?
- Cause it says 8

- I want Apple, Apple is the best
- Why?
- Cause it's Apple

Well, hopefully, MS will release a registry patch, which changes version number from 7 to 8, so everyone is happy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

We don't mean numbers when we talk of wp8. We talk of support, features, reliability and great updates. I don't need quad core in wp, to ask you, why u would u need it...it's not android os we talking about here we here in the forums know what we talking about and what we need so you just cant come here and say we need stuff cz the are there. Yea we need better encryption but to hell with quad cores on this os....it's for the market.

Sent from my HTC HD7 Windows Phone using Board Express.

Because quad core enables to:

- Utilize all cores for the next generation games and apps, improving user experience and developers income options
    - Utilize 1 out of 4+1 cores when idling, saving battery life and improving user experience
    - 1080p video recording and support for 1080p high profile video
    - Faster app and game loading times
    - Better utilization of touch
    - Better power per watt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehlRJZPsDY
    I think that 1st generation phones won't be updated to Windows Phone 8, and here's the reason:

http://articles.businessinsider.com...5804_1_windows-phone-android-phones-andy-lees

Anyway I think this sucks. I bought my phone even before NoDo and it became completely usable only with Mango, so Microsoft used me as a betatester, because what I had before Mango was NOT a finished product!
    They say that Apple is wrong because new OSs make older devices slower, well at least users have the possibility to choose if they want to upgrade or not!
    Make my phone upgradable to WP8 and then I'll choose if it's too slow for me or it's OK, but this seems to me just a lame excuse to break the support for 1st gen devices. I don't want to change my phone because it's perfect as it is and I don't need something more powerful, that's all, but don't tell me that WP8 will need more than 1Ghz to run smooth...