[Q] Flash directly from official CM11 to 4.4 OTA-based CM11 using bootstack?

Search This thread

_b_d_

Nov 2, 2013
I'm currently on the official CM11 nightlies, and I just haven't had the time to go through the entire process required to switch to the 4.4.2 OTA-based CM11 ROM. However, the random reboots and SODs are getting to me so much these days that I'm willing to try something different to quickly flash over to it. I was wondering if anyone knew if the following process would work:

1. Reboot into recovery
  2. Make a backup of course :)
  3. Flash TWRP 2.7 and reboot recovery
  4. Flash the 24A OTA bootstack from XDABBEB's VS98024A ROM and reboot recovery
  5. Wipe system, cache, dalvik
  6. Flash JackpotClavin's OTA-based CM11 over my current install and reboot

I realize a dirty flash in this way may introduce its own set of problems, but I'm willing to take the chance if it means I can go straight from my current CM11 install to JPC's without having to wipe everything and go back to stock first.

I'm very comfortable with the command line and I have a good knowledge of how most Android devices work (bootloader, radio, recovery, kernel, cache, system, and data, and how they all tie together, all that necessary info). I just don't really know much about all the extra stuff for the G2 and I haven't had time to research it, so I've got no clue if flashing the bootstack is all I need, or if I'll also have to go hunting for a 4.4.2 radio zip to get the baseband up to date or anything else.

Last edited:

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
I'm currently on the official CM11 nightlies, and I just haven't had the time to go through the entire process required to switch to the 4.4.2 OTA-based CM11 ROM. However, the random reboots and SODs are getting to me so much these days that I'm willing to try something different to quickly flash over to it. I was wondering if anyone knew if the following process would work:

1. Make a backup of course :)
  2. Flash TWRP 2.7
  3. Flash the 24A OTA bootstack from XDABBEB's VS98024A ROM
  4. Wipe system, cache, dalvik
  5. Flash JackpotClavin's OTA-based CM11 over my current install

I realize a dirty flash in this way may introduce its own set of problems, but I'm willing to take the chance if it means I can go straight from my current CM11 install to JPC's without having to wipe everything and go back to stock first.

I'm very comfortable with the command line and I have a good knowledge of how most Android devices work (bootloader, radio, recovery, kernel, cache, system, and data, and how they all tie together, all that necessary info). I just don't really know much about all the extra stuff for the G2 and I haven't had time to research it, so I've got no clue if flashing the bootstack is all I need, or if I'll also have to go hunting for a 4.4.2 radio zip to get the baseband up to date or anything else.

Follow steps 3-5 in XDABBEB's thread you posted and you should be good to install the CM11 4.4.2 based release. No harm in trying a dirty flash, worse case you need to wipe and install clean anyway.

_b_d_

Nov 2, 2013
Replying to say it worked perfectly, for anyone else in the same situation. I updated from the official CM11 4/26 nightly to JPC's 4/30 CM11 build by following the steps in my first post (and without wiping data or internal storage) and it booted right up with no issues whatsoever like a normal nightly upgrade. Huzzah!

Reactions: nowetdio

xsirxx

Dec 27, 2011
Replying to say it worked perfectly, for anyone else in the same situation. I updated from the official CM11 4/26 nightly to JPC's 4/30 CM11 build by following the steps in my first post (and without wiping data or internal storage) and it booted right up with no issues whatsoever like a normal nightly upgrade. Huzzah!

I did this same thing although my previous CM 11 worked just fine except my GPS didnt work. So after this install and upgrading my bootstack and modem to 25A that my GPS would be fixed but its still broken under this as well. Any ideas guys?

JRJ442

Jan 18, 2011
Salisbury, Md
Google Pixel 6a
I did this same thing although my previous CM 11 worked just fine except my GPS didnt work. So after this install and upgrading my bootstack and modem to 25A that my GPS would be fixed but its still broken under this as well. Any ideas guys?

Did you make sure to get a GPS lock on a stock based 25A ROM by opening maps and letting it locate you? That seems to calibrate the GPS sensors.

morphtcat

Sep 13, 2014
Did you make sure to get a GPS lock on a stock based 25A ROM by opening maps and letting it locate you? That seems to calibrate the GPS sensors.
up
I found that I had to go to a stock-based 25A ROM to fix this as well. Not a big deal - first back up everything in TWRP, wipe everything except internal storage, flash xdabbeb's ROM, get the GPS lock, then reflash as above (not really necessary if you're restoring but I did it anyway), then restore from backup.

I'm now on a 25B bootstack (dirty flash) and so far, so good - it's much more stable than straight CM11.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.