Search This thread

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Yes VTS needs an update but it's still working great. It is an amazing piece of work! I wish it could be further developed and updated. Nothing else compares to this set of tools. I've been using it for years and I'm very fluent with it. Things that are very important with the current apktool, devices and Android versions of today are as follows:

1. You MUST set the "disassemble dex file" option to KitKat when decompiling apk's and jar files. (Template for API 20 doesn't work right. Also with the new apktool and smali/baksmali, API's will be handled within the apktool & smali java apps so VTS API setting just needs to stay set to KitKat)
2. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS delete current imported frameworks whenever you update apktool!!! Do not overlook this and if you don't do this then you WILL have bad decompiles/builds for new apk's/jars, period. So the rule of thumb is... if you replace apktool then you MUST delete then re-import all of your frameworks if you plan to do any work using the new apktool version.
3. You will need to continually monitor and delete the temp files that VTS creates in C:\Users"YOUR NAME"\AppData\Local\Temp
these temp files will continue to use up space on your hard drive and they do not get removed by VTS upon each successful build. You will easily use up 5, 10 or 20 Gb of space if you use VTS regularly like i do. So delete these files often! There is absolutely no harm in deleting them. Your project will continue to build just fine as they will be recreated as needed automatically.
4. If your device uses multiple frameworks then you should use the "multiple frameworks" option when importing your frameworks instead of adding them independently. Trust me on this one.
5. To make life easier on yourself, always name your imported frameworks to coincide with the software version in which they are from. Use the last three digits of the software version in the name of your imported frameworks. EX. "N5-PC3-multi-frameworks"
This will keep all of your frameworks in a nice orderly fashion and will make switching between frameworks a simple and pleasant experience allowing you to be more productive from not having to fumble around looking for the correct frameworks.
6.ALWAYS make it a habit to refresh the project before you build!!! Why? Because often you will make edits to smali or resources outside of VTS such as Photoshop or Notepad++ and these changes can sometimes slip through unnoticed by VTS and the build will not include these recent changes. Normally VTS will catch changes outside of it's working environment and prompt you to update/refresh the project... but not always. Save yourself time and confusion by rememberring to refresh before each build as a habit.
7. if you need help or have questions about current issues with VTS and modern android/apktool, ask here in this thread and I will offer what i know at this time.

Last edited:

plex342

Apr 3, 2016
Yes VTS needs an update but it's still working great. It is an amazing piece of work! I wish it could be further developed and updated. Nothing else compares to this set of tools. I've been using it for years and I'm very fluent with it. Things that are very important with the current apktool, devices and Android versions of today are as follows:

1. You MUST set the "disassemble dex file" option to KitKat when decompiling apk's and jar files. (Template for API 20 doesn't work right. Also with the new apktool and smali/baksmali, API's will be handled within the apktool & smali java apps so VTS API setting just needs to stay set to KitKat)
2. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS delete current imported frameworks whenever you update apktool!!! Do not overlook this and if you don't do this then you WILL have bad decompiles/builds for new apk's/jars, period. So the rule of thumb is... if you replace apktool then you MUST delete then re-import all of your frameworks if you plan to do any work using the new apktool version.
3. You will need to continually monitor and delete the temp files that VTS creates in C:\Users"YOUR NAME"\AppData\Local\Temp
these temp files will continue to use up space on your hard drive and they do not get removed by VTS upon each successful build. You will easily use up 5, 10 or 20 Gb of space if you use VTS regularly like i do. So delete these files often! There is absolutely no harm in deleting them. Your project will continue to build just fine as they will be recreated as needed automatically.
4. If your device uses multiple frameworks then you should use the "multiple frameworks" option when importing your frameworks instead of adding them independently. Trust me on this one.
5. To make life easier on yourself, always name your imported frameworks to coincide with the software version in which they are from. Use the last three digits of the software version in the name of your imported frameworks. EX. "N5-PC3-multi-frameworks"
This will keep all of your frameworks in a nice orderly fashion and will make switching between frameworks a simple and pleasant experience allowing you to be more productive from not having to fumble around looking for the correct frameworks.
6.ALWAYS make it a habit to refresh the project before you build!!! Why? Because often you will make edits to smali or resources outside of VTS such as Photoshop or Notepad++ and these changes can sometimes slip through unnoticed by VTS and the build will not include these recent changes. Normally VTS will catch changes outside of it's working environment and prompt you to update/refresh the project... but not always. Save yourself time and confusion by rememberring to refresh before each build as a habit.
7. if you need help or have questions about current issues with VTS and modern android/apktool, ask here in this thread and I will offer what i know at this time.

I need help decompiling an apk with VTS, but I am a complete noob. I don't understand why you need a framework that is specific to your device since vts is running on the computer. I used the latest apktool to decompile an apk to test and it installed the 1.apk framework file to c:\users\<localuser>\apktool\framework\1.apk. how do I decompile in vts with this framework file? I went to settings but it would not let me type anything into the framework tag field. I tried following the documentation on the VTS site but it did not help. Any help for this noob would be very much appreciated. Also, where do I find "disassemble dex file" option in VTS. I can't find it.

By the way, the java file code was messed up in some places when I used the apktool. I am hoping this won't be the case with VTS. :)

Thanks for your help in advance.

S

sawdoctor

I need help decompiling an apk with VTS, but I am a complete noob. I don't understand why you need a framework that is specific to your device since vts is running on the computer. I used the latest apktool to decompile an apk to test and it installed the 1.apk framework file to c:\users\<localuser>\apktool\framework\1.apk. how do I decompile in vts with this framework file? I went to settings but it would not let me type anything into the framework tag field. I tried following the documentation on the VTS site but it did not help. Any help for this noob would be very much appreciated. Also, where do I find "disassemble dex file" option in VTS. I can't find it.

By the way, the java file code was messed up in some places when I used the apktool. I am hoping this won't be the case with VTS. :)

Thanks for your help in advance.
Ok vts is using apktool to decompile apks. Apktool reverse engineers to decompile the apk. Without the framework installed apktool won't be able to find some of the resources it needs to decompile the apk. Some apks won't need a framework some will need 2 especially Sammy apks they normally need tw framework-res.apk as well as the normal framework-res.apk

Sent from my SM-N920C using XDA-Developers mobile app

plex342

Apr 3, 2016
Ok vts is using apktool to decompile apks. Apktool reverse engineers to decompile the apk. Without the framework installed apktool won't be able to find some of the resources it needs to decompile the apk. Some apks won't need a framework some will need 2 especially Sammy apks they normally need tw framework-res.apk as well as the normal framework-res.apk

I decompiled an apk using the apktool at the command line. when I opened up the .java files, I saw a lot of errors in the code and there would be single letters for class names and such. why is that? would the same thing happen even if I use VTS to decompile? So, how do I set the framework file for the project? Under "Decompile Resources", when I try typing in the tag, nothing happens. Nothing is typed into the text field. ??? :eek: :confused:

Last edited:

plex342

Apr 3, 2016
I decompiled an apk using the apktool at the command line. when I opened up the .java files, I saw a lot of errors in the code and there would be single letters for class names and such. why is that? would the same thing happen even if I use VTS to decompile? So, how do I set the framework file for the project? Under "Decompile Resources", when I try typing in the tag, nothing happens. Nothing is typed into the text field. ??? :eek: :confused:

ok ok im sorry if I seemed like a jerk, but why is VTS better than the rest? where do I get these frameworks? from the phone? how do I setup VTS to work? I followed the official guide but can't figure it out. thanks.

Last edited:

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
ok ok im sorry if I seemed like a jerk, but why is VTS better than the rest? where do I get these frameworks? from the phone? how do I setup VTS to work? I followed the official guide but can't figure it out. thanks.

Trust me, VTS is hands down the best set of tools. however there is a learning curve especially for people with limited knowledge on this stuff. Your frameworks come from the stock software for your device. The best way to acquire these source files, including framework files, is to download a stock deodexed rom for your specific device model. Also keep in mind that there are different software revisions so you will need to make sure you download the version of software that you plan to be working with and use the framework files from that rom/software.

As for how to setup vts properly, it's a lot to go over in a single post. I had to learn the hard way and it's the best way to learn. i didn't have anybody to hold my hand and answer technical questions when i first started using it. But I knew right away that this software was absolutely my first choice and was worth devoting countless hours learning the in's & out's of it all. You will just have to figure things out take the advice i posted above once you understand how to apply those tips in VTS.

If you have the passion for this sort of stuff then you will be as determined as i was and learn on your own which is the best way. Sorry, i can't offer any other specific steps for setup but you first need to follow the setup instructions on the VTS homepage if it's still available. This involves installing java, java jdk and then going into VTS settings and click on auto detect for java detection. Do that first. Next you will need to learn how to import your frameworks and use the "multi-frameworks" import option if your software uses more than one framework-res.apk such as htc and samsung devices. VTS will automatically detect them if you just point it to the framework folder of the extracted rom on your pc. This stuff is fairly simple actually. VTS can seem very confusing at first but you just have to keep digging and learning what does what. It's the only way you will truly learn how to use this set of tools. nob amount of tips and advice can prepare you to be proficient with this stuff. Good luck.

Josephigloe

Sep 1, 2013
Menifee
Trust me, VTS is hands down the best set of tools. however there is a learning curve especially for people with limited knowledge on this stuff. Your frameworks come from the stock software for your device. The best way to acquire these source files, including framework files, is to download a stock deodexed rom for your specific device model. Also keep in mind that there are different software revisions so you will need to make sure you download the version of software that you plan to be working with and use the framework files from that rom/software.

As for how to setup vts properly, it's a lot to go over in a single post. I had to learn the hard way and it's the best way to learn. i didn't have anybody to hold my hand and answer technical questions when i first started using it. But I knew right away that this software was absolutely my first choice and was worth devoting countless hours learning the in's & out's of it all. You will just have to figure things out take the advice i posted above once you understand how to apply those tips in VTS.

If you have the passion for this sort of stuff then you will be as determined as i was and learn on your own which is the best way. Sorry, i can't offer any other specific steps for setup but you first need to follow the setup instructions on the VTS homepage if it's still available. This involves installing java, java jdk and then going into VTS settings and click on auto detect for java detection. Do that first. Next you will need to learn how to import your frameworks and use the "multi-frameworks" import option if your software uses more than one framework-res.apk such as htc and samsung devices. VTS will automatically detect them if you just point it to the framework folder of the extracted rom on your pc. This stuff is fairly simple actually. VTS can seem very confusing at first but you just have to keep digging and learning what does what. It's the only way you will truly learn how to use this set of tools. nob amount of tips and advice can prepare you to be proficient with this stuff. Good luck.

Hey Dean, do you know if VTS will decompile , system ui , on Note 5 MM PC3 build on sprint, I'm trying to add 3minit and have been unsuccessful in decompile. I have been using the latest ApkTool 2.1

lukss12

Jul 22, 2013
Mar del Plata
Xiaomi Mi A2
Hey Dean, do you know if VTS will decompile , system ui , on Note 5 MM PC3 build on sprint, I'm trying to add 3minit and have been unsuccessful in decompile. I have been using the latest ApkTool 2.1

What do you mean by been unsuccessful in decompile? What error, warning, problem? Be a little more specific... Also it would be helpful if you upload the apk and framework you are using.

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA

No. The official Apktool v 2.1 will not work on samsung marshmallow apk's. the resources will not decompile and will throw arsc decode errors. I have a private build of Apktool that mostly works on Samsung MM files. However not all apk's will decompile without errors. Ont the Sprint N5 InCallUI.apk will not decompile but systemui seems to do fine. I have been working on the N5 software for several days and this is what i know right now. Give this apktool a try. It's specifically for samsunng MM so delete all your current frameworks and re-import them once you replace apktool and you should be in business.
This is on my afh account... https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24459283995309527

Edit: Another thing. You need to only use one apktool in vts when using this test build of apktool. Normally you can have several different versions in the External/apktool folder but for some reason if you use multiple versions at once then select the test build when decompiling it still throws errors. So delete all other apktool jars in the Apktool folder and place only the version i posted above. then when you go to decompile you will need to click on the dropdown menu and manuallyselect the apktool v2.0.1 as it will still say the previous version untill you do this. Then you can continue to decompile with success.

Last edited:
Reactions: ted77usa

Josephigloe

Sep 1, 2013
Menifee
thanks

No. The official Apktool v 2.1 will not work on samsung marshmallow apk's. the resources will not decompile and will throw arsc decode errors. I have a private build of Apktool that mostly works on Samsung MM files. However not all apk's will decompile without errors. Ont the Sprint N5 InCallUI.apk will not decompile but systemui seems to do fine. I have been working on the N5 software for several days and this is what i know right now. Give this apktool a try. It's specifically for samsunng MM so delete all your current frameworks and re-import them once you replace apktool and you should be in business.
This is on my afh account... https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24459283995309527

Edit: Another thing. You need to only use one apktool in vts when using this test build of apktool. Normally you can have several different versions in the External/apktool folder but for some reason if you use multiple versions at once then select the test build when decompiling it still throws errors. So delete all other apktool jars in the Apktool folder and place only the version i posted above. then when you go to decompile you will need to click on the dropdown menu and manuallyselect the apktool v2.0.1 as it will still say the previous version untill you do this. Then you can continue to decompile with success.

Thank you dean your the man..

thereassaad

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 22, 2013
Bierut

Have u try this i posted somewhere on many thread by using apktool v200 , just install framework-res.apk & twframework-res.apk then dec/rec framework-res.apk with apktool v200 then install it with v2.0.3 or v2.1 then u can dec/rec incallui as i did it here many times , its working fine , i don't know if ur attached apktool its as this one but i will leave it here too thats working with my end used

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=66156789

For dec/rec secsettings see my post on S6 unified thread ,

Good luck ,

Reactions: tx_dbs_tx

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Thanks for that info. Very creative technique. i like it! I have not trusted apktool due to these problems. hopefully it works with no problems with the decompiles with the method you mentioned. Now to get a proper convertor for the latest .9.qmg images. current convertor doesn't properly convert the .9 images, only regular images are produced. Thanks again.

Josephigloe

Sep 1, 2013
Menifee
Have u try this i posted somewhere on many thread by using apktool v200 , just install framework-res.apk & twframework-res.apk then dec/rec framework-res.apk with apktool v200 then install it with v2.0.3 or v2.1 then u can dec/rec incallui as i did it here many times , its working fine , i don't know if ur attached apktool its as this one but i will leave it here too thats working with my end used

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=66156789

For dec/rec secsettings see my post on S6 unified thread ,

Good luck ,
Hi again dean so I need the Vts download I went to vts.com and all links are dead

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
If the links are dead on the official VTS site then somebody will have to upload it. i'm not sure if this is something that would not be approved by diamondback and the dev team of VTS. Try searching for it with google. Maybe somebody has already uploaded it elsewhere.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vts%20banner.png

Virtuous Ten Studio (VTS) is the ultimate solution for the modification of android applications.
    This program allows you to manage entire Android projects within an easy to use and familiar environment.

The intended group of users covers anyone from a themer over ROM devs up to the smali gods known for their awesome mods of existing apks.
    The modifcation of smali code is one of the biggest features in VTS. You can easily decompile, edit and recompile any apk or jar file.
    However, the application is not limited to smali files. You can edit almost any file found inside an apk or jar.

Virtuous Ten Studio is also the official successor to the highly important M10Tools released 2011 by the Virtuous Team.
    You can easily edit any m10 file from Sense apps in order to resize or change them.

Additionally VTS brings support for un- and repacking of boot images (boot.img), a job that previously required a cygwin installation with the dsixda kitchen.
    Since VTS' own implementation is a native windows solution, which means you don't need dsixda or cygwin anymore.

VTS has been designed to run on Windows, has been in development for nearly two years and has gone through many stages of testing.

Today VTS is a highly respected, multiple purpose Android IDE (Integrated Develoment Environment) suited for all your reverse engineering tasks.

Screenshots

XDA Portal posts

Main Features

This is only a short summary of all features, a full list of features can be found here.
    • Never before seen UI
      • Fully featured IDE
      • Seamless integration of useful third party tools
        • ApkTool
        • Smali/Baksmali
        • ADB
        • Zipalign
        • Sign
        • dex2jar
        • WinMerge
        • Remote Theme Injector (RTI)
        • many more

• Work with your apks just like having real java code
      • Support for apks and framework jars
      • Easily keep track of multiple apks/jars with the Solution Explorer
      • Manage big projects with ease

• Edit smali code like never before
      • Syntax highlighting
      • Jumping to smali references (method calls, fields, classes, gotos)
      • Help files on almost every smali command and topic
      • Connection between smali code and public.xml to expose hex references
      • Have a helpful look at the java source of any smali file if needed
      • Paste often used smali snippets right from the editor

• Enhanced XML workflow
      • Easy navigation in XML documents
      • Follow XML resource paths and jump to the source file with a simple click
      • Previews of color codes, images and string resources directly in the xml file

• Edit M10 files with great usability
      • Support for all Sense versions (3.0, 3.5, 3.6, 4.0, 4.1, 4.5)
      • Work with m10 files either with the dedicated M10-Project or via the combined APK-Project
      • Decompile m10 images of all Sense versions to create HTC Sense themes
      • Quickly analyze the contents with the M10-Structure viewer
      • Validate your m10 changes with the syntax checker
      • Unimportant m10 parts are greyed out or completely hidden

• Unpack and repack boot images (boot.img)
      • Easily edit any content of your boot.img
      • Dedicated syntax highlighting for *.rc and *.prop files
      • Advanced support for files modes and symlinks
      • Native implementation, no need for cygwin or the dsixda kitchen

• Communicate with your device with yet to be seen ease
      • Tight integration of most ADB commands
      • Push apks or jars easily to any place on your device
      • Remote import files to edit them with VTS
      • Debug your device with the integrated Logcat-Viewer

• Enhance your workflow with useful additions
      • Easily create backups of your projects
      • Dedicated compare interface for easy comparision of files, folders or projects

• Hundreds of other awesome features (seriously, you really have to see and try it yourself)

User feedback

I've had the pleasure of beta testing and writing tuts for vts and I must say that it is the most useful, well put together program for Android that I've ever used.
    I got that excited that I almost pre jacked when I first used it.
    It is simply truly fxxxxng amazing.
    Thank you team and testers
    Diamondback and everyone involved in this project - thank you! I just started learning (this morning) and
    I am already pushing out some alpha mods to the lockscreen thanks to your tool!!
    It is a great tool, and I will be using it more as I learn more.
    Thank you for the effort you put into this for free, it is amazing. Keep it up! :)
    VTS has done amazing, meticulous work that has enriched, massively, the android community.
    Thank you!

As someone that's been using your tools since they were first available, I give a HUGE thanks.
    I have, like duce been innovative with m10 modding. There are probably endless options, through mostly trial and error.
    The payoff on the end result is always worth it. I'll be more than happy when your next release is out.
    I've been using VTS for over 2 months now and it has become the only tool I use. There are tremedous advantages and I'm still finding more. The java source tools are invaluable when working with xmls and smalis. I can now switch between projects with 3 clicks. Great program for modding.
    This is probably by far the most useful thing I've used on windows lol
    Ohh this is going to be awesome. I'm giddy with excitement. Great job on the app as a whole but with the upcoming m10 editing?
    You guys rocked any other editor out of the water. Keep it up :good:
    Waw.. this project is being developed very fast.... many changes in the software since the last 2 months when I tried it...

Awesome!!!
    Thanks alot for the hard work, and great job.
    I want to give a huge THANKS for the Virtuous Team!
    I finally released a working transparent HTC clock widget on One X thanks to the new editor.
    I'm just glad that there are people out there smart enough to do this stuff! I was seconds away from getting a Samsung.
    Thank you Diamond for this superb tool and updates!

Thanks everyone for this. I decompiled, made an edit, then recompiled my first skin last night thanks to this tool and my helpful huddle mates and teammates.
    Great job VTS team and thanks for the many hours of hard work and testing.
    Thank you very much Diamondback for all the hard work you put into this. You're the man!
    I just tried it now :D And I would just say WOWWWW.....
    This is awesome! [..] And again bravo for your help, HTC Sense is much sexier thanks to you
    Thanks again man, I really love this :good::highfive:
    I have just found this, and it's amazing
    Just dropped in to say that Virtuous Ten Studio has been an enriching experience for me
    You make us feel crazy ,This tool is a bomb .
    Thanks so much man, its nice to have the dev give a direct and clear response.
    Awesome tool.Comes in handy many times.thank you
    Dude you rock thanks so much for your kick ass creation!

Featured Projects

These projects were created with the help of VTS, check them out :good: (alphabetical order)

XDA:DevDB Information
    Virtuous Ten Studio, Tool/Utility for the Android General

Contributors
    Diamondback

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.6.30.14100
    Stable Release Date: 2014-06-30

Created 2013-11-14
    Last Updated 2014-10-31
    Changelog & News

Bugs & Issues

If you are about to make a new post in this thread asking for help because you got an issue, please make sure to check the FAQs here first.
    If you still need help, please include all the required information listed under the "Something else went wrong" section.
    I can't help you if you forget to provide these information.

If you got any issues feel free to ask here while adhering to the guidelines above.

I am also usually available on IRC, channel #vts-dev on Freenode. If I don't immediately answer you, stick around for a while and make sure to mention my name so I get a notification.

Guides and tutorials

My team and I spent a lot of time on writing detailed and comprehensive guides and tutorials about VTS.
    They cover a wide range of topics, from a total beginner level up to complex topics like creating your own HTC Sense skins.

You can find the guides on my website:

Need help with M10 mods? Have a look at this thread. (no requests please)

Download and more information

The downloads, tutorials and many more resources can be found on the dedicated VTS website

http://www.virtuous-ten-studio.com/
    Reserved for later :)
    Reserved for later :)
    Okay, everyone, we are getting ready for release. :highfive:
    However, there are a few points everyone has to understand, so I'll publish them prior to the official launch to get a bit more attention. :silly:

First of all, a huge thanks to my beta testers and tutorial authors: (alphabetical order)
    • Dunc001
    • eg1122
    • Fernando sor
    • fisha21
    • Gumby63
    • il Duce
    • jeffsanace
    • mcluvn
    • memnoc
    Those guys earned my trust and did the major work on writing all the nice guides and tutorials on the all new VTS website (more on that later).

Let's have a look at the new key features being added in this release:
    • VTS is now able to decompile m10 images. This means everyone can do skins for HTC Sense devices
    • Navigatin in XML documents is much easier now. Simply hold CTRL and click on any reference inside a XML document to jump to the source
    • The content of smali documents gets automatically checked for syntax errors now. Live. And in color. :p
    • We worked hard to provide you useful guides and tutorials on the new website. Additionally, VTS has a (little) help system built in. These are short explanations for a few key features. You can find everything related to "Help" in the new Help tab.
    • It seems nobody saw the potential of the old "Backup" feature, so in this version I added an additional window to easily compare different projects, folders and files. This comes in super handy when porting all kinds of stuff to new apk/jar versions for example.

Okay, so, this is only a super short list of new features, the full list of changes (almost 2 pages long) can be found (as always) here:
    VTS Changelog

A few additional notes:
    • I changed the license system a bit to help those that had to start VTS with admin rights to find the license. However, to fully use that fix, you need to activate your license in VTS again. Have a look at your license email if you don't remember anymore how to do that.
    • This release should fully support Windows 8. There's a little glitch in the "View tab" where one checkbox is a bit cut off, but I'll fix that with the next version.
    • Speaking of the next version.... This is the last release with support for Windows XP. The next version (the one after the the one that will be released shortly :p) won't suppor XP anymore. So if you are still using XP (shame on you :p), remember to not update after this release.
    • Despite having fixed the admin issue with licenses, it still seems that VTS needs admin rights for certain other things. If something goes weirdly wrong, try restarting VTS with admin rights.