[MOD] JB Inspired Google Search Widget

Search This thread

Why So Serious?

Apr 28, 2012
London
Hi Guys,

This mod is for those of you who like the new Jellybean style Google Search Widget but don't want to wait for JB or mess around installing Google Now on ICS.

I've re-themed the Stock ICS widget, so it's just a cosmetic change - it won't give you Google Now functionality. It's not an exact replica of the new JB search box but looks better IMO when used with the new Sony Home launcher:

newgooglesearchbar.png

Installation:

1. Copy .apk to SDCard
2. Move to /System and change permissions to RW-R-R
3. Move to /System/App and overwrite the old .apk
4. Reboot and (re-)add search widget to home screens

Attachments

• GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    608.5 KB · Views: 2,465

Redstarr1

May 19, 2012
Keerbergen
Thanks a lot man, this combined with Google_Now_Remover makes searching on XZXperience a lot more fluent and still matching with the Z launcher style :).

gopiraj_m

Oct 5, 2012
Hyderabad
Where did you find the Google now remover?

sent from my Sony Xperia ion running xzx experience 2 (lt28at)
download from here if you want to. ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/35dfrcrhxjxs2dl/Google_Now_Remover.zip?m

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

After the Icon's pack, back with this modified search widget.

Just looks apt with the new Z launcher, and much better than the original JB search widget.

Thanks and keep it up! :good:

Reactions: Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

Apr 28, 2012
London

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Just looks apt with the new Z launcher, and much better than the original JB search widget.

Cheers dude.

I'm working on a custom Z launcher at the moment too because I don't like how grey the app tray is. I'm finding the difference in screen output between my laptop and my XS is making it hard to perfect new designs as what looks good on my laptop doesn't necessarily look good on the XS.

I've tried a couple versions so far and am aiming to release in the next couple of days. I'll update the Icon Pack after that too.

Reactions: gopiraj_m

gopiraj_m

Oct 5, 2012
Hyderabad
Cheers dude.

I'm working on a custom Z launcher at the moment too because I don't like how grey the app tray is. I'm finding the difference in screen output between my laptop and my XS is making it hard to perfect new designs as what looks good on my laptop doesn't necessarily look good on the XS.

I've tried a couple versions so far and am aiming to release in the next couple of days. I'll update the Icon Pack after that too.

There's already one customized version by niaboc- black and white versions.
I also made one with 5x4 grid for both versions. Let's try to optimize its speed now. I mean, the app drawer is laggy while swiping. Have you noticed?

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

Why So Serious?

Apr 28, 2012
London
There's already one customized version by niaboc- black and white versions.
I also made one with 5x4 grid for both versions. Let's try to optimize its speed now. I mean, the app drawer is laggy while swiping. Have you noticed?

Yeah I've seen Niaboc's launchers but want to do something a bit different. No offense to him as I love his work!

Do you just change one piece of xml to make a 5x4 grid? I think I found the xml I need to change but wasn't sure if I had to do anything else.

Edit: My App Tray doesn't lag at all... Only lag I experience with the launcher is swiping home screens the first time the phone has to draw widgets. After that it's smooth.

Last edited:

gopiraj_m

Oct 5, 2012
Hyderabad
Yeah I've seen Niaboc's launchers but want to do something a bit different. No offense to him as I love his work!

Do you just change one piece of xml to make a 5x4 grid? I think I found the xml I need to change but wasn't sure if I had to do anything else.

Edit: My App Tray doesn't lag at all... Only lag I experience with the launcher is swiping home screens the first time the phone has to draw widgets. After that it's smooth.

Pm-ed you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

This mod is for those of you who like the new Jellybean style Google Search Widget but don't want to wait for JB or mess around installing Google Now on ICS.

I've re-themed the Stock ICS widget, so it's just a cosmetic change - it won't give you Google Now functionality. It's not an exact replica of the new JB search box but looks better IMO when used with the new Sony Home launcher:

newgooglesearchbar.png

Installation:

1. Copy .apk to SDCard
    2. Move to /System and change permissions to RW-R-R
    3. Move to /System/App and overwrite the old .apk
    4. Reboot and (re-)add search widget to home screens
    Where did you find the Google now remover?

sent from my Sony Xperia ion running xzx experience 2 (lt28at)

Cheers dude.