Mineral water "bath" - will my phone evenutally die?

Search This thread

xperiaforme

Nov 9, 2010
Yesterday my phone got spilled with sparking mineral water. I found it in sort of boot loop, realised what happened, pulled the battery, tried to dry it a bit, tried turning it on (not a good idea, I know now), then turned it off again and left it to dry with a fan. My phone sort of turned on then, only the screen was still a bit weird, shortly flashing from time to time from brown color to home screen. Anyway, today it seems to be OK. BUT I read now that any water that is not distiled water can cause corosion because of mineral content. Obvisouly my water had lots of mineral contents. So my phone is now just hanging by the thread before it dies? I am not about to go get it all wet now to wash it down with distiled water, alchol or one of those repair kits they are offering. I might just make things worse. Does this mean I better start shopping for Note 3?

Last edited:

sms2000

Mar 5, 2009
Modi'in
OnePlus 8 Pro
Water just heavily increased the probability for your phone early retiring.
If say for healthy phone the time before 50% fault chance is 5 years of everyday service, you shortened it maybe as twice.
Yet it may be fully conditioned for next 10 years. Or be killed tomorrow from other reasons...

I'd start to collect money for the next device. But would never rush to buy it before the days of the current one are over. it's not a too long wait those days, you have plenty of sellers.

I always have near my old Motorola Atrix with a parallel SIM card. Helps me when I overplay to much with ROMs and kernels.

Pommes_Schranke

Feb 22, 2010
I have a N1 which was in the washing machine for at least 20 Minutes back in 2009. The bluetooth chip was fried but everything else is still working.
If you wanne be sure that the problem is note getting bigger you have to make sure the phone is completely dry before using it. I'd turn it off, remove the backcover, put it in a rice bowl and let it sit in a warm and dry enviroment for a few days. Mineral water is one of the better things you can wash you're phone with ;).