[ROM][Kernel][Bootloader] OUYA EPRJ Kernel 3.4.37, OUYA-Enhanced rom, repacked image

Search This thread

Mattthev

Oct 16, 2012
Kernel:
EternityProject Kernel 3.4.37 for OUYA (CPU 2GHz - GPU 650MHz)
Suitable for StockPlus Rom 1.0.519r2

You will also need EPRJ bootloader:
EternityProject TPL Bootloader for OUYA

nchantmnt said:
Kholk's kernel is designed to be used with StockPlus Rom 1.0.519r2.
If you decide to use it with another rom there might/will be unpredictable issues like no access to internal storage and many more.
The Images here are created to fix this problem.
Only use them for the firmware-version they are designed for and of course only if you know what you are doing.
If you want use kernel with the newest rom:

Repacked Bootimages - EternityProject Kernel 3.4.37 for OUYA

For news go to the EPRJ forum :good:

New rom for OUYA from nchantmnt is here:
[ROM] OUYA-Enhanced 0.1

nchantmnt said:
based on latest official OTA (RC-OUYA-1.2.858-r1_ota)
rooted & busyboxed
deodexed & zipalinged
Xposed-Framework, Playstore & Modcollection comes preloaded
slightly themed
no boot.img, nor recovery.img in this one! read isntructions ;)
some minor tweaks

Last edited:

cronikman84

Dec 8, 2012
Holyoke

Ok, awesome... now my question is, would it work on Stock OUYA rom? cause i see someone is having massive issues when he flashed this kernel to his Stock OUYA Rom and now he's having all kinds of issues from not being able to download to sd, ADB, random reboots and others... or is this for a custom OUYA rom? i don't plan on sticking with the stock OUYA Rom for long but i'm not sure if i want to flash this yet without knowing if it works fine with stock OUYA rom, someone said it works perfect on "stock plus rom"...

sqkid89

Jul 8, 2010
I'm watching that board anxiously for updates. My Ouya's been collecting dust for some time now, would be nice to get some new rom support

Mattthev

Oct 16, 2012
Ok, awesome... now my question is, would it work on Stock OUYA rom? cause i see someone is having massive issues when he flashed this kernel to his Stock OUYA Rom and now he's having all kinds of issues from not being able to download to sd, ADB, random reboots and others... or is this for a custom OUYA rom? i don't plan on sticking with the stock OUYA Rom for long but i'm not sure if i want to flash this yet without knowing if it works fine with stock OUYA rom, someone said it works perfect on "stock plus rom"...

I'm sorry, really don't know. Check the EPRJ forum for updates. I didn't test it. I'm not so advance to try that in this phase.

cronikman84

Dec 8, 2012
Holyoke
hopefully this kernel fixes the HDD problems that i'm having were my HDD constantly turns on and off after a while so i have to unplug it and plug it back in quick for it to work again, i've already broke one of my 160gb HDD by hitting it hard thinking that the hard drive was at fault every time the OUYA turned off my HDD, i can't be the only person experiencing this :confused: and im willing to bet that the STOCK OUYA KERNEL has something to do with it...

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

I'm sorry, really don't know. Check the EPRJ forum for updates. I didn't test it. I'm not so advance to try that in this phase.

i did, i can't ask any questions over at that forum, it won't allow me even tho i registered a new account, every time i try to post or ask/ reply it wont allow me too, it only allows me to "Like This" that's all...that's why i asked here...

Mattthev

Oct 16, 2012
hopefully this kernel fixes the HDD problems that i'm having were my HDD constantly turns on and off after a while so i have to unplug it and plug it back in quick for it to work again, i've already broke one of my 160gb HDD by hitting it hard thinking that the hard drive was at fault every time the OUYA turned off my HDD, i can't be the only person experiencing this :confused: and im willing to bet that the STOCK OUYA KERNEL has something to do with it...

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

i did, i can't ask any questions over at that forum, it won't allow me even tho i registered a new account, every time i try to post or ask/ reply it wont allow me too, it only allows me to "Like This" that's all...that's why i asked here...
Write kholk e-mail he will make you account.

That's why I'm not using my 1TB HDD, OUYA almost destroyed it. Now SMART shows only half of permonace even I formated my HDD

nchantmnt

Jan 26, 2012
sorry guys, didnt want to scare anyone ;)

that was me, having issues with kholks kernel, but like i said i'm using his kernel repacked with stock ramdisk on almost stock firmware and this is not what this kernel was designed for, so i had to expect issues.

fyi: since repack i can access /sdcard like supposed to
for the reboots i can imagine that either too low voltage for high load/frequency or generally weak chip i got there.
didn't have much time to do some in-depth testing thoug since i got myself a new pc today and had to set up everything first :p

for now i'm going to keep everything the way kholk intended it to be (stockromplus) and try how good it works. only then i will retry on uptodate firmware.

but hey: how was your experience with this great kernel?

cronikman84

Dec 8, 2012
Holyoke
sorry guys, didnt want to scare anyone ;)

that was me, having issues with kholks kernel, but like i said i'm using his kernel repacked with stock ramdisk on almost stock firmware and this is not what this kernel was designed for, so i had to expect issues.

fyi: since repack i can access /sdcard like supposed to
for the reboots i can imagine that either too low voltage for high load/frequency or generally weak chip i got there.
didn't have much time to do some in-depth testing thoug since i got myself a new pc today and had to set up everything first :p

for now i'm going to keep everything the way kholk intended it to be (stockromplus) and try how good it works. only then i will retry on uptodate firmware.

but hey: how was your experience with this great kernel?

i haven't tested the kernel on my OUYA yet, but i might now that i just got me a second new OUYA from my best bud that he asked me to buy him an OUYA back in august 2013 and never opened it or used it so now he passed it on to me to put it to good use :D, now that i got a second OUYA i'm going to try the kernel on my personal OUYA since the ethernet port **** the bed 2 months ago and i can't get it back in working order and ill keep the new OUYA ready just in case anything goes wrong...

magimog

May 21, 2012
Life is good for those who wait! I have already stripped my StockRomPlus of all OUYA apps and used Xposed (Greenify, Bootmanager and others) to make this a fast Android-only machine. And that's with the stock kernel!

Think I'll wait for another release before taking any steps (can't remember what recovery I have installed, it's been a while) but good times lie ahead!

Reactions: primo_4c4

realhuh

Nov 10, 2011
.. mine not working very well .. 1st boot is get to main screen .. and after a few second it restart .. after that .. no success .. it keep restarting ..

maybe if it start from lower clock .. we can overclock bit by bit to get the right freq for our ouya .. kholk said our ouya may be too WEAK to handle this clock ..

will wait for next update .. cheers :D ..

cronikman84

Dec 8, 2012
Holyoke
.. mine not working very well .. 1st boot is get to main screen .. and after a few second it restart .. after that .. no success .. it keep restarting ..

maybe if it start from lower clock .. we can overclock bit by bit to get the right freq for our ouya .. kholk said our ouya may be too WEAK to handle this clock ..

will wait for next update .. cheers :D ..

are you on stock or stock plus? maybe is overheating, the stock OUYA fan can only do so much, i would try to open it the top cover to the console for more ventilation, i know this might sound crazy but you can also try forcing more air to the ouya by taking the top cover from the OUYA and putting a small house fan on HIGH against the opening and see if that helps. Like i said, it sounds crazy but that's what i would do just to make sure...

realhuh

Nov 10, 2011
.. on stock .. anyway .. this is the 1st release .. next will be surely get better .. i guess :D .. cheers

nchantmnt

Jan 26, 2012
shouldnt be really overheating. cooling should be on constantly and since i also have reboots i can assure you they do happen at way lower temperatures than what i would call overheating. limit for ouya should be about 80-85 degrees celsius and ouya reboots for me at aout 55-56 degrees.
if i keep the case open it does not reboot. my shot at this is that we might be able to increase stability by increasing voltage for overcklock-frequencies a bit.
again: we cannot be absolutely sure these issues aren't caused by stock ramdisk / rom as well until we get same on both roms. anyone tested already?

realhuh

Nov 10, 2011
shouldnt be really overheating. cooling should be on constantly and since i also have reboots i can assure you they do happen at way lower temperatures than what i would call overheating. limit for ouya should be about 80-85 degrees celsius and ouya reboots for me at aout 55-56 degrees.
if i keep the case open it does not reboot. my shot at this is that we might be able to increase stability by increasing voltage for overcklock-frequencies a bit.
again: we cannot be absolutely sure these issues aren't caused by stock ramdisk / rom as well until we get same on both roms. anyone tested already?

.. hey nchantmnt ..

is it possible to lower clock using app like tegra overclock .. not ouya version but google play version .. since it can lower cpu & gpu clock ..

on stock the highest setting is 1700 on cpu & 520 on gpu .. and this working fine

the range is wide .. 1700-2000 & 520-650 .. may be we can find max setting without changing stock or open ouya ..

nchantmnt

Jan 26, 2012
of course its possible to limit cpu and cpu clock in userspace.
for trickstermod should do the trick

open case: max 2000mhz reaching ~53° C (shold be almost near limit)
closed case: max 1700mhz reaching ~51 °C
1800mhz is failing after 5 runs of antutu reaching almost 63°C

bear in mind these are not the limits of t33 soc, but a higher temperature does need higher current to stay stable.

Last edited:
Reactions: realhuh

cronikman84

Dec 8, 2012
Holyoke
.. on stock .. anyway .. this is the 1st release .. next will be surely get better .. i guess :D .. cheers
Well I can tell you that this kernel does not work like it should on stock, the kernel was made for custome rom and its been confirmed already...Over at eternity project kernel forum post #8 The administrator Kholk said that OUYA shuts down with the case CLOSED during heavy load, but no problems with shut down with the case OPENED. I think I'll also wait till a updated version with a dummies guide on how to exactly flash it and if we need to use EP bootloader or stock bootloader :), instructions are not very clear...

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

True, maybe is not overheating but Over at eternity project kernel forum post #8 The administrator Kholk said that OUYA shuts down with the case CLOSED during heavy load, but no problems with shut down with the case OPENED. So im guessing is something to do with not having enough airflow but I'm just going to wait for a better guide and an updated version of the kernel...

realhuh

Nov 10, 2011
of course its possible to limit cpu and cpu clock in userspace.
for trickstermod should do the trick

open case: max 2000mhz reaching ~53° C (shold be almost near limit)
closed case: max 1700mhz reaching ~51 °C
1800mhz is failing after 5 runs of antutu reaching almost 63°C

bear in mind these are not the limits of t33 soc, but a higher temperature does need higher current to stay stable.

.. @1800 and still not stable.. oh well..

. . Not really sure .. on ep forum some dude use stock plus.. still face same problem..

Sent from my Spice MI410 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

nchantmnt

Jan 26, 2012
Don't mix anything up ;) kholk just said he leaves his case open and that there is a automatic shutdown function if the device reaches 85 degrees celcius. We are nothing near 85 degrees yet, so don't care about that.

And just for your interest: if you repack kholks kernel with the ramdisk of stock ROM it should work just the same. I tried and didnt get any issues I didn't have on stockplus later.

Gesendet von meinem One X+ mit Tapatalk

And oh hello... I'm that dude :)

Last edited:
Reactions: realhuh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kernel:
    EternityProject Kernel 3.4.37 for OUYA (CPU 2GHz - GPU 650MHz)
    Suitable for StockPlus Rom 1.0.519r2

You will also need EPRJ bootloader:
    EternityProject TPL Bootloader for OUYA

nchantmnt said:
    Kholk's kernel is designed to be used with StockPlus Rom 1.0.519r2.
    If you decide to use it with another rom there might/will be unpredictable issues like no access to internal storage and many more.
    The Images here are created to fix this problem.
    Only use them for the firmware-version they are designed for and of course only if you know what you are doing.
    If you want use kernel with the newest rom:

Repacked Bootimages - EternityProject Kernel 3.4.37 for OUYA

For news go to the EPRJ forum :good:

New rom for OUYA from nchantmnt is here:
    [ROM] OUYA-Enhanced 0.1

nchantmnt said:
    based on latest official OTA (RC-OUYA-1.2.858-r1_ota)
    rooted & busyboxed
    deodexed & zipalinged
    Xposed-Framework, Playstore & Modcollection comes preloaded
    slightly themed
    no boot.img, nor recovery.img in this one! read isntructions ;)
    some minor tweaks
    so hello everyone,

as i promised here are the repacks for stock rom
    repacked with ramdisk for version 1.2.771

head over here for repackes boot images.

all the thanks for this work goes to our main developer kholk of course ;)
    Good news so far. I'll have a new ROM in the making and should be able to publish it today or tomorrow.
    But to be honest: nothing fancy yet. Just progressing where stockplus rom was put on halt.

I'll post link here as son as it's up on our forum :D

Gesendet von meinem One X+ mit Tapatalk
    update for now: i'll keep on making repacks but will not publish the them here anymore, but over at our forum.
    I'll still keep you up2date but that will be rather basic updates.
    i'd prefere all discussion over at our forum to keep everything in one place - else reports, questions and so on might get lost.

forum link in the op

regards

edit:

thread for repacked bootimages created here

may be added to OP
    Good news, even thou I will not bring you cm11 kernel I can at least tell you that kholk might continue his work as I will do with mine.

News will be spread over @ EP first of course. Will keep you up2date of course.
    About latest repack...got to get at my PC later. Don't know when exactly, but its ready to be uploaded...

Edit:
    repack of ep-kernel for latest stockrom (1.2.1084):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6hjToYRU1kOU9mV1ZXTGFQbjQ/edit?usp=sharing
    (caution: this is a temporary link ... seem to have some problems with our server)