Stuck on low battery - 4.4 Kitkat update problem

Search This thread

aerospaceCU

Mar 7, 2014
Hi All:

I am not experienced with smart phones and therefore would like to seek your advice/assistance regarding an issue that came up with my S 4 GT-I9505 International.

What happened:

- The 4.4 Kitkat update came out on my phone through my provider (Rogers, Canada)
- I downloaded the update via Wifi and began its installation at a relatively low battery
- During the update, precisely after the reboot while the % bar with the android guy was filling up, I plugged in my phone to ensure it would not die (wall outlet)
- Coming back to the phone after some time I noticed it was OFF

My phone is the international version, unlocked and was going to be sent to Europe (Portugal) based on the language of the manual and the fact that it came with a North American adapter.

What I have done since then:

- The phone turns on and the Samsung words appear on the screen with the model number and then it goes BLACK

- When plugged in, it turns on and shows the ''very low'' battery symbol and stays like that

- It is recognized through USB but does not connect to Kies

I have done the factory restore and cache wipes, those work fine. But when I do go to reboot the device I notice that "Error!" appears under the little android guy momentarily before booting up.

Any help is well appreciated. Thanks so much.

Jay

jaswinky

Jun 24, 2009
Hi All:

I am not experienced with smart phones and therefore would like to seek your advice/assistance regarding an issue that came up with my S 4 GT-I9505 International.

What happened:

- The 4.4 Kitkat update came out on my phone through my provider (Rogers, Canada)
- I downloaded the update via Wifi and began its installation at a relatively low battery
- During the update, precisely after the reboot while the % bar with the android guy was filling up, I plugged in my phone to ensure it would not die (wall outlet)

My phone is the international version, unlocked and was going to be sent to Europe (Portugal) based on the language of the manual and the fact that it came with a North American adapter.

- The phone turns on and the Samsung words appear on the screen with the model number and then it goes BLACK

- When plugged in, it turns on and shows the ''very low'' battery symbol and stays like that

I have done the factory restore and cache wipes, those work fine. But when I do go to reboot the device I notice that "Error!" appears under the little android guy momentarily before booting up.

Jay

Are you really sure your charger works? Are you sure your battery is not damaged? Try with a different charged battery and you will get your answers.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2

Anubhav Agrawal

Nov 26, 2012
Delhi
Hi All:

What happened:

Jay

I think it's a case of soft brick..
If your warranty is intact then go to Samsung care they will fix it for you.
Don't tell then what exactly happened. .
Say I updated and it's not working..

Sent from my GT-I9500

Reactions: aerospaceCU

aerospaceCU

Mar 7, 2014
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will attempt these solutions.

Does anyone advise against going to one of those kiosk style cellular repair shops?

Jay

jaswinky

Jun 24, 2009

Does anyone advise against going to one of those kiosk style cellular repair shops?

Jay

Before doing that, try to buy a new battery and test it. In the worst-case you will get a new replacement battery ; in the better case you will save a lot of money trying to repair something that it is not needed to be repaired.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 usando Tapatalk 2

Reactions: aerospaceCU

aerospaceCU

Mar 7, 2014
Hey all,

Good news. So I got on SamMobile.com, grabbed a UK 4.3 Android file and used Odin to flash it onto my unresponsive S4. It worked like a charm and the phone is back up and running.

Just a few questions as I am new to "flashing":

So now that I will have to flash UK releases of the latest firmware as my Canadian network provider will probably brick my phone every time they release the latest firmware, should I simply wait for the internet to have the latest firmware of my regions version and flash it every time via odin?

Also, is flashing over time going to decrease my phone's performance in terms of processing speed and memory (RAM)?

Finally, any suggestions that are different from what I plan to do as described above?

Thanks to everyone who contributed, I "thanked" the posts.

Jay

aerospaceCU

Mar 7, 2014
Why would it brick installing their firmware :confused: .....u r on 4.3 without root so why would I m not able to understand ur question either

Well OK I use my phone in Canada but since its a UK phone I went out and got the UK firmware. So now when I get the latest firmware update (4.4) from Canada, won't it brick?

I mean that is what happened last time...

The phone is unlocked and I have never rooted it. Just used Odin to throw on the firmware.

Thanks.

aayushkhajuria2842

Mar 1, 2012
Udhampur
Well OK I use my phone in Canada but since its a UK phone I went out and got the UK firmware. So now when I get the latest firmware update (4.4) from Canada, won't it brick?

I mean that is what happened last time...

The phone is unlocked and I have never rooted it. Just used Odin to throw on the firmware.

Thanks.

Last time u said u had less battery I dont think flashing canada firmware will brick your phn

aerospaceCU

Mar 7, 2014
Last time u said u had less battery I dont think flashing canada firmware will brick your phn

Ya I mean I did updates BEFORE the last one so that got me thinking, maybe it WAS the battery...

So do you think its safe that I go and try to update my firmware from my network provider on top of the UK firmware I put on it just last night?

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its a brick .....u need to flash a stock firmware via odin :rolleyes:
    Hit thanx if I helped u

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2673134 here u will get the full guide to unbrick your phn and also download firmwarepackages through alternative download links (faster)
    Hi All:

What happened:

Jay

I think it's a case of soft brick..
    If your warranty is intact then go to Samsung care they will fix it for you.
    Don't tell then what exactly happened. .
    Say I updated and it's not working..

Sent from my GT-I9500

Jay

Before doing that, try to buy a new battery and test it. In the worst-case you will get a new replacement battery ; in the better case you will save a lot of money trying to repair something that it is not needed to be repaired.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 usando Tapatalk 2
    Yes updating in this way is the safest but u should have adequate battery
    Updates u will get of the region wheres firware u flashed....uk I think is yours

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

The firmware u flashed via odin was of which region