Which memory card should I choose for Galaxy S4

Search This thread

gisek

Apr 11, 2009
Hi

I want to buy a 64GB micro SD card form my Samsung Galaxy S4 (getting one next week :) ). I'm thinking about:

• Samsung Pro (read: 70MB/sec write: 20MB/s)
  • SanDisk Ultra (read: 30MB/sec write: 30MB/s)
  • SanDisk Mobile Extreme (read: 45MB/sec write: 30MB/s)
  • ADATA (read: 30MB/sec write: 10MB/s)

All of them are class 10 and support UHS-1

The first three cost pretty much the same, ADATA is like 2/3 of their price.

The speeds provided are probably for sequential read/write. I don't know what it looks like in terms of random access. Does it even matter since this is only storage for data? (as far as I know Galaxy S4 doesn't allow you to install apps on SD card)

My second concern is recording videos in full hd. Will all of the cards handle it?

Finally will the phone take full advantage of the declared read/write speeds?

What is the most reasonable choice here?

Speaking from personal experience, if you read up on it you'll find a lot of S4's having difficulty with some SanDisk higher capacity cards. When my SanDisk 64 gb card failed, I replaced it with a 64 gb UHS1 Samsung card. I have not had one issue with it, where the SanDisk failed daily.

JessSayin

Aug 25, 2012
OnePlus 5T
Samsung Galaxy S10e
No problems after CM11 M3 Snapshot

Hi

I want to buy a 64GB micro SD card form my Samsung Galaxy S4 (getting one next week :) ). I'm thinking about:

• Samsung Pro (read: 70MB/sec write: 20MB/s)
  • SanDisk Ultra (read: 30MB/sec write: 30MB/s)
  • SanDisk Mobile Extreme (read: 45MB/sec write: 30MB/s)
  • ADATA (read: 30MB/sec write: 10MB/s)

All of them are class 10 and support UHS-1

The first three cost pretty much the same, ADATA is like 2/3 of their price.

The speeds provided are probably for sequential read/write. I don't know what it looks like in terms of random access. Does it even matter since this is only storage for data? (as far as I know Galaxy S4 doesn't allow you to install apps on SD card)

My second concern is recording videos in full hd. Will all of the cards handle it?

Finally will the phone take full advantage of the declared read/write speeds?

What is the most reasonable choice here?

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card I got on Amazon for about $50 and It's working great. I had to do a FULL format as opposed to a 'Quick Format' on a Windows PC.
Before the phone would suddenly tell me the SD card was removed when it wasn't. Now after a full format and CM11 SnapshotM3 no probs.

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIJ6W4S

currently with a deep discount for a card that was just released if you're willing to pay for it

I know they have just been released but are the 128GB cards compatible with the S4? Currently have a 32GB card at the moment, which is a San Disk replacement, the original one I had failed completely out of the blue a few months back and San Disk replaced under warranty, not had any problems since. Probably wouldnt have need for a 128GB card but would be tempted to upgrade to a 64GB one in a few months. Still nice to know we can expand to 128GB. Would make an even better justification of the inclusion of the sd card slot on the S4. :cool:

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
I know they have just been released but are the 128GB cards compatible with the S4? Currently have a 32GB card at the moment, which is a San Disk replacement, the original one I had failed completely out of the blue a few months back and San Disk replaced under warranty, not had any problems since. Probably wouldnt have need for a 128GB card but would be tempted to upgrade to a 64GB one in a few months. Still nice to know we can expand to 128GB. Would make an even better justification of the inclusion of the sd card slot on the S4. :cool:

Hmm, this would seriously help extend the lifespan of my S4. Considering most android phones now have no sc card slot and 16/32GB tops.

http://phandroid.com/2014/02/27/phones-that-work-with-sandisk-128gb-microsdxc-card/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kuljit55

Feb 11, 2008
I Just brought a samsung pro 64gb from ebay, was genuine :) for £31 and its decent, running smooth, no problems.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium