[STARTER] Upgrade Kit 3.7.5 | Apps 2 | Root, Flash, Unbrick, Tuts...

Search This thread

Ilko

May 30, 2007
Funky town
ilkos-home.blogspot.com
| Upgrade Kit (UPK) |

UPK_Box.png

Description :

This is a package which contains all needed things to root, install ClockWorkMod Recovery and upgrade/flash following described methods.

Includes :

• ADB + basic cmds (reboot, logcat, reboot-recovery)
  • BlackJack (root utility, Froyo)
  • Bootloader Unlocker (Stock ICS firmwares) | It uses the u-boot.img by payback from 4pda.ru (Thanks jockjoint)
  • CWMT (ClockWorkMod Recovery Touch 5.8.1.3 flasher)
  • CWMT6 (ClockWorkMod Touch 6.0.1.4 flasher - USB broken)
  • Drivers (USB, Modem, Bluetooth)
  • FW Converter 2.1 by jes0411
  • KDZ Updater
  • LGMobile Update (B2C)
  • MSXML 6 SP1
  • PDF guides
  • R&D Test Tool (unbricking tool / hard reset)
  • README - About HTML file
  • TWRP 2.6.1.0 (TeamWin Recovery Project 2.4 flasher)
  • UnlockRoot 3 (ICS Root tool)
  • Windows Enabler (X64 / R&DTT)
Some packages are also available separately to avoid repetitive downloads. ▼ Direct Download

| Apps |

Apps.png

Description :

An setup package which lets you the choice between useful apps. There are predefined install types but you can also customize the installation. USB debugging must be enabled on your device. Read package's intro for more details.

Screenshots :

image.png
ANTIVIRUSES MAY DETECT EXPLOITS

Some Extra files : V10E Patched (EU), V20S Patched (EU) | V30B (FRA) | Superuser+.zip (will push AnReboot + ES Explorer as well) | SuperOneClic 2.3.3 | Gingersnap 2 | ADB.zip | FW Converter | GPS_Fix_2.zip | and more...

Note : V10E & V20S here are the OPEN EUROPE versions in binary format, and are patched with CWMT so they're ready for root (flash superuser.zip from SDC via recovery, see below the root tut)

| Firmwares |

Now I let this task to more competent than me :D

image.png
WARNING : keep files's original name/case or you'll get errors while flashing.
  • Syntax = V10A_00.kdz | characters in red will never move. Characters in skyblue are according to versions.
  • AFRATL = language/brand code | VXXX = firmware version | (...) = Provider/Country

| The upgrade |

image.png
You assume the fact that flashing may result in getting errors, and even bricking the phone.

You can use standard methods by using B2C, R&D Test Tool (to use with .kdz firmwares), or simply PC Suite. If you're going to manually downgrade with R&DTT, doing a factory reset before flashing may prevent of errors and bricks.
NOTE : Now LG blocks manual upgrades via B2C ("upgrade start" will show LG update window instead of performing the flash process), so neither KDZU nor R&DTT will work unless you apply the following tip to fix it.

But the fastest and safest method is to use the SmartFlash tool (also used for rooting). For this method you'll need a firmware in binary format which is in two separated files (*.fls & *.bin). You can downgrade as well if needed. The process takes only 3 min and erase all internal datas. So you'd better save all saveable things like contacts, apps etc... use your favorite way (full nand, titanium, listing...)

Requirements : any firmware, UPK, and USB drivers. Follow related PDF guides for manually flashing.

If for some reasons, you need a particular firmware, you could convert it in binaries yourself by using the FW Converter. Just put it in the same dir where the firmware is and run it. This tool is also able to patch FWs OTA with CWM

Note : don't apply the patch on ICS firmwares (V3XX) since it will break the boot. Refer to "Recovery for ICS" of this tutorial below

Reference thread by jes0411

| The root |

image.png
Device's warranty won't be avoided ! Read this !

Method 1 - FW V10A / B

1. Download the latest GingerBreak
  2. Allowed non Market Place apps (settings > apps > unknown sources)
  3. USB debugging ON (settings > apps > dev > USB debugging)
  4. A SDC must be present and mounted
  5. Launch Polaris Office to explore your SDC, then touch the apk file
    • in the case you don't have a file explorer, install ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer (Apps)
  6. Phone will reboot on sucess. Cool, it's rooted ! (now you can uninstall GingerBreak)
Loading can take several minutes. If after 10 minutes at most nothing happens, GingerBreak doesn't work for you....

Method 2 - Froyo (V1XX)

1. Enable USB Debugging (settings > apps > development)
  2. Plug the phone, launch BlackJack and follow instructions
    • Allow 127.0.0.1 connection if prompted by AVs / Firewalls. Read BlackJack's intro for more details.

Froyo alternative root method with Smartflash :
  • Follow steps as described in method 3 below, but with these patched binaries V10E (EU) instead

Method 3 - Gingerbread (V2XX)

image.png
Caution, this method is a full flash ! EVERYTHING on the internal memoy will be lost !

1. Copy Superuser+.zip in your SDC
  2. Follow the PDF guide procedure (UPK)
  3. Phone will reboot into Recovery, do a wipe / reset
  4. Now select "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" and select Superuser+.zip (will push AnReboot + ES Explorer)
  5. Go back on main menu and validate on "reboot system now". System is now permanently rooted.

Method 4 : ICS (V30X)

image.png
Caution, this method is a full flash ! EVERYTHING on the internal memoy will be lost !

1. Flash your device (the PDF guide in UPK may help noobs) | Ignore this step if you have already updated your phone to ICS, so you won't lose any data !
  2. Unplug it (this is important) and boot normally (don't put your sdc yet so overall process will be shorter)
  3. Do a factory reset (settings > backup & reset) | Ignore this step if your system is already running ICS
  4. Ensure of LG software connexion type is selected (settings > PC connexion > USB connexion type)
  5. Enable USB debugging before pluging the phone (settings > developer options), then plug
  6. Install UnlockRoot, run it and follow instructions
For getting a working custom recovery, refer to the tutorial "Recovery for ICS" below

| Unlocking the bootloader |

This must be done through ICS 4.0.4 and is only needed if you want to flash a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. You have to root first before attempting. See below the "Recovery for ICS" tut.

| The Recovery |

image.png
You assume all facts by doing that

• Ensure of : installed USB Drivers / rooted system / USB debugging ON (settings > apps > dev)
  1. Plug phone, wait for installation complete (first time plug), launch "CWMT", "CWMT6" or "TWRP"
  2. Grant root access if prompted by SuperUser (phone)
  3. Use AnReboot (or else) to boot into recovery
    • If you try booting into recovery without a custom recovery flashed, phone will perform a factory reset by default !
To load into recovery (or DownloadMod etc..), you have to use an app since LG P970 doesn't have a key combination for it. AnreBoot is perfect (included in Apps). But, if you apply a modded kernel, it becomes possible to go into CWM while the initial boot process.
Two other apps : ROM Manager, Quick Boot.

Reference thread by xantaro

| Recovery for ICS |

The following tutorial will help you getting a working custom recovery for stock ICS firmwares. This is an U-Boot flasher package, based on the work of payback from 4pda.ru. Thanks to jockjoint for the share.

image.png

• Ensure of : installed USB Drivers / rooted system / USB debugging ON
  1. Follow the 4th root method for ICS if needed
  2. Unlock the bootloader with the Bootloader Unlocker tool
  3. Flash your favorite custom recovery, CWM or TWRP.
Don't forget to install an app like AnReboot to reboot into recovery. If you use one of my recovery flasher packages, check AnReboot in the task list.

| ROMs / Mods / Tools |

• (Discovery) Remove battery, hold power buton, plug USB cable and wait until LG logo appears. Yeah ! The phone boots and you can use it with an infinite supply without killing battery's life !! But the phone seems having to be in airplane mod, otherwise it will shut down and display the battery missing message.
    > It also works with my GT540, holding the call key. This could work on any LG androphone.
  • See the [INDEX] thread by RomWiz which intends to list every existing ROMs, mods, tools etc... for our device.
  • Sim unlock tutorial by Orcusen

| The GPS hook fix |

Read this thread.

| Troubleshooting |

- New to Android ?

- Got a bootloop or bricked your phone ?
  • Try the emergency recovery ; launch LGMobile Update (aka B2C) > Support > Recovery phone (aka SOS...)
  • Try hard reseting with R&D Test Tool (follow pdf guide)
  • Use SmartFlash with binary files of a firmware

- Lost/freezed your home ?

- Lost IMEI ?

Last edited:

kzhus

May 25, 2011
Found several sw following your post and this thread as well: http://www.android-hilfe.de/lg-p970...6673-lg-serverlinks-firmware-bin-gesucht.html

AESTL (no-brand Spain?)
V10A: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGP970/AESPTL/V10A_00/V10A_00.kdz

AORETL (Orange Spain)
V10B: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGP970/AORETL/v10b_00/V10B_00.kdz

ANEUTL (no-brand Europe?)
V10A: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGP970/ANEUTL/V10a_00/V10A_00.kdz
V10B: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGP970/ANEUTL/V10b_00/V10B_00.kdz

I just downloaded all of these kdz files, so they are active links right now.

BTW. We still need a forum for the LGP970 "Optimus Black",
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1089967&page=10

Last edited:

rgabi88

Jan 11, 2011
Constanta
You mean KDZ updater? I didn't try it ...yet. I am not sure that it works and I don't want to risk my phone.

Late edit:
I just flashed V10B_00 ANEUTL (european unbranded).
I was inspired by this tut: http://www.android-hilfe.de/anleitungen-fuer-lg-p970-black/106331-how-optimus-black-flashen-kdz.html
except steps 2, 3, 7, 8, 10
Instead of step 10 click on "Read phone information" and then on "Upgrade start".
Select Country -> Different country
Select Language -> English
Hit "OK"
LG Software phone update must launch and begin to update the software.
Stay back and wait for reboot!

Last edited:
Reactions: sirdrakem

Ilko

May 30, 2007
Funky town
ilkos-home.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Al3xxxinho

Jun 19, 2008
Craiova
Tell me ... If I unbrand my phone ( as far as I can see it has the lg firmware, not the orange one, although it was bought from orange ), and flash the latest firmware, can I later restore it to the original one in case of warranty issues? thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Ilko

May 30, 2007
Funky town
ilkos-home.blogspot.com

back0ne

Mar 17, 2011
Taubaté - SP
My P970 does not work - turned into a paperweight

Translation by tradukka. (rsrs)

1 - when I turn the phone into the computer by holding the volume + PC finds the phone does not appear over the screen "S/W upgrade please wait while upgrading"

2 - Even so did the upgrade process and it happened as expected, giving dll error until the phone restarts.
He changed the boot screen (VIVO) by LG screen. the problem is it takes the LG logo and then flashes the screen and the buttons and does not enter the android.

please need help, because now I have a paper weight $ 500 :D .
I also have a SE X10 and X8, and none of them gave me trouble. This LG is complicated.

Ilko

May 30, 2007
Funky town
ilkos-home.blogspot.com
well, I'dlike to help, but I'm not a dev, only a contributor who wanted to make things fowarding with this thread.

Also, to get the s/w screen, you must pull out the battery, then hold V+, then plug the cable. It must work. Try flashing to a stock firmware, that's the only thing which I can advise you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    | Upgrade Kit (UPK) |

UPK_Box.png

Description :

This is a package which contains all needed things to root, install ClockWorkMod Recovery and upgrade/flash following described methods.

Includes :

• ADB + basic cmds (reboot, logcat, reboot-recovery)
    • BlackJack (root utility, Froyo)
    • Bootloader Unlocker (Stock ICS firmwares) | It uses the u-boot.img by payback from 4pda.ru (Thanks jockjoint)
    • CWMT (ClockWorkMod Recovery Touch 5.8.1.3 flasher)
    • CWMT6 (ClockWorkMod Touch 6.0.1.4 flasher - USB broken)
    • Drivers (USB, Modem, Bluetooth)
    • FW Converter 2.1 by jes0411
    • KDZ Updater
    • LGMobile Update (B2C)
    • MSXML 6 SP1
    • PDF guides
    • R&D Test Tool (unbricking tool / hard reset)
    • README - About HTML file
    • TWRP 2.6.1.0 (TeamWin Recovery Project 2.4 flasher)
    • UnlockRoot 3 (ICS Root tool)
    • Windows Enabler (X64 / R&DTT)
    Some packages are also available separately to avoid repetitive downloads. ▼ Direct Download

| Apps |

Apps.png

Description :

An setup package which lets you the choice between useful apps. There are predefined install types but you can also customize the installation. USB debugging must be enabled on your device. Read package's intro for more details.

Screenshots :

image.png
    ANTIVIRUSES MAY DETECT EXPLOITS

Some Extra files : V10E Patched (EU), V20S Patched (EU) | V30B (FRA) | Superuser+.zip (will push AnReboot + ES Explorer as well) | SuperOneClic 2.3.3 | Gingersnap 2 | ADB.zip | FW Converter | GPS_Fix_2.zip | and more...

Note : V10E & V20S here are the OPEN EUROPE versions in binary format, and are patched with CWMT so they're ready for root (flash superuser.zip from SDC via recovery, see below the root tut)

| Firmwares |

Now I let this task to more competent than me :D

image.png
    WARNING : keep files's original name/case or you'll get errors while flashing.
    • Syntax = V10A_00.kdz | characters in red will never move. Characters in skyblue are according to versions.
    • AFRATL = language/brand code | VXXX = firmware version | (...) = Provider/Country

| The upgrade |

image.png
    You assume the fact that flashing may result in getting errors, and even bricking the phone.

You can use standard methods by using B2C, R&D Test Tool (to use with .kdz firmwares), or simply PC Suite. If you're going to manually downgrade with R&DTT, doing a factory reset before flashing may prevent of errors and bricks.
    NOTE : Now LG blocks manual upgrades via B2C ("upgrade start" will show LG update window instead of performing the flash process), so neither KDZU nor R&DTT will work unless you apply the following tip to fix it.

But the fastest and safest method is to use the SmartFlash tool (also used for rooting). For this method you'll need a firmware in binary format which is in two separated files (*.fls & *.bin). You can downgrade as well if needed. The process takes only 3 min and erase all internal datas. So you'd better save all saveable things like contacts, apps etc... use your favorite way (full nand, titanium, listing...)

Requirements : any firmware, UPK, and USB drivers. Follow related PDF guides for manually flashing.

If for some reasons, you need a particular firmware, you could convert it in binaries yourself by using the FW Converter. Just put it in the same dir where the firmware is and run it. This tool is also able to patch FWs OTA with CWM

Note : don't apply the patch on ICS firmwares (V3XX) since it will break the boot. Refer to "Recovery for ICS" of this tutorial below

Reference thread by jes0411

| The root |

image.png
    Device's warranty won't be avoided ! Read this !

Method 1 - FW V10A / B

1. Download the latest GingerBreak
    2. Allowed non Market Place apps (settings > apps > unknown sources)
    3. USB debugging ON (settings > apps > dev > USB debugging)
    4. A SDC must be present and mounted
    5. Launch Polaris Office to explore your SDC, then touch the apk file
      • in the case you don't have a file explorer, install ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer (Apps)
    6. Phone will reboot on sucess. Cool, it's rooted ! (now you can uninstall GingerBreak)
    Loading can take several minutes. If after 10 minutes at most nothing happens, GingerBreak doesn't work for you....

Method 2 - Froyo (V1XX)

1. Enable USB Debugging (settings > apps > development)
    2. Plug the phone, launch BlackJack and follow instructions
      • Allow 127.0.0.1 connection if prompted by AVs / Firewalls. Read BlackJack's intro for more details.

Froyo alternative root method with Smartflash :
    • Follow steps as described in method 3 below, but with these patched binaries V10E (EU) instead

Method 3 - Gingerbread (V2XX)

image.png

1. Copy Superuser+.zip in your SDC
    2. Follow the PDF guide procedure (UPK)
    3. Phone will reboot into Recovery, do a wipe / reset
    4. Now select "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" and select Superuser+.zip (will push AnReboot + ES Explorer)
    5. Go back on main menu and validate on "reboot system now". System is now permanently rooted.

Method 4 : ICS (V30X)

image.png

1. Flash your device (the PDF guide in UPK may help noobs) | Ignore this step if you have already updated your phone to ICS, so you won't lose any data !
    2. Unplug it (this is important) and boot normally (don't put your sdc yet so overall process will be shorter)
    3. Do a factory reset (settings > backup & reset) | Ignore this step if your system is already running ICS
    4. Ensure of LG software connexion type is selected (settings > PC connexion > USB connexion type)
    5. Enable USB debugging before pluging the phone (settings > developer options), then plug
    6. Install UnlockRoot, run it and follow instructions
    For getting a working custom recovery, refer to the tutorial "Recovery for ICS" below

| Unlocking the bootloader |

This must be done through ICS 4.0.4 and is only needed if you want to flash a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. You have to root first before attempting. See below the "Recovery for ICS" tut.

| The Recovery |

image.png

• Ensure of : installed USB Drivers / rooted system / USB debugging ON (settings > apps > dev)
    1. Plug phone, wait for installation complete (first time plug), launch "CWMT", "CWMT6" or "TWRP"
    2. Grant root access if prompted by SuperUser (phone)
    3. Use AnReboot (or else) to boot into recovery
      • If you try booting into recovery without a custom recovery flashed, phone will perform a factory reset by default !
    To load into recovery (or DownloadMod etc..), you have to use an app since LG P970 doesn't have a key combination for it. AnreBoot is perfect (included in Apps). But, if you apply a modded kernel, it becomes possible to go into CWM while the initial boot process.
    Two other apps : ROM Manager, Quick Boot.

Reference thread by xantaro

| Recovery for ICS |

The following tutorial will help you getting a working custom recovery for stock ICS firmwares. This is an U-Boot flasher package, based on the work of payback from 4pda.ru. Thanks to jockjoint for the share.

image.png

• Ensure of : installed USB Drivers / rooted system / USB debugging ON
    1. Follow the 4th root method for ICS if needed
    2. Unlock the bootloader with the Bootloader Unlocker tool
    3. Flash your favorite custom recovery, CWM or TWRP.
    Don't forget to install an app like AnReboot to reboot into recovery. If you use one of my recovery flasher packages, check AnReboot in the task list.

| ROMs / Mods / Tools |

• (Discovery) Remove battery, hold power buton, plug USB cable and wait until LG logo appears. Yeah ! The phone boots and you can use it with an infinite supply without killing battery's life !! But the phone seems having to be in airplane mod, otherwise it will shut down and display the battery missing message.
      > It also works with my GT540, holding the call key. This could work on any LG androphone.
    • See the [INDEX] thread by RomWiz which intends to list every existing ROMs, mods, tools etc... for our device.
    • Sim unlock tutorial by Orcusen

| The GPS hook fix |

Read this thread.

| Troubleshooting |

- New to Android ?

- Got a bootloop or bricked your phone ?
    • Try the emergency recovery ; launch LGMobile Update (aka B2C) > Support > Recovery phone (aka SOS...)
    • Try hard reseting with R&D Test Tool (follow pdf guide)
    • Use SmartFlash with binary files of a firmware

- Lost/freezed your home ?

- Lost IMEI ?
    Lg p970 flash guide

THIS GUIDE WAS INSPIRED BY http://android.modaco.com/content-p...imus-black-clockworkmod/page/20/#entry1708746

You will need:
    LG P970 firmwares
    KDZ_FW_UPD_EN
    B2CAppSetup (LG Mobile Support Tool)
    LG United drivers (or download them with LG Mobile Support Tool)
    A LG P970 :)

* Download Ilko's Update Kit (and find all you need except firmware files)

HERE WE GO:

1. Install LG Mobile Support Tool (launch B2CAppSetup.exe)
    1a. Download with LG Mobile Support Tool and install USB drivers!!

2. Unzip KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.7z and install msxml.msi

3) .....So:
    3a. Your phone doesn't work - Remove the battery and connect the USB cable holding down the Volume Up button and wait until the drivers are installed (the phone should be on the "S/W upgrade Please wait" state while upgrading!!!!).

To unbrick your phone and avoid a boot-loop after flashing by achieving a hard reset, use ziiljuks's's tutorial

3b. Your phone works and you want to flash another .kdz - Do a factory reset, Enable USB debugging and connect USB cable to the phone...

4. Open your device manager and disable the Modem LGE Mobile USB Modem

5. Start KDZ_FW_UPD.exe

6. In the Software Updater select "Type"=CDMA , "PhoneMode"=DIAG, and at "KDZ file" select the desired (V10B_00.kdz) file; (The firmware .kdz file must have the name in this form, and the letters must be capitals!)

7. Click down left "Read phone information"
    af45036007a9ba9085e47b9ff5a04bcd.jpg

This will open "Read phone information" window. IN THAT WINDOW:

8. Click "Upgrade start". DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING ELSE BEFORE!
    7100bc646cc7bb30d59556b8e1203359.jpg

LG Updater launches.....

9. Select Country="Different country" (unless you are in Korea) and Language as you wish
    a6a6d6720d4a5c3cad798ac0b3bcc194.jpg

LG Mobile Updater Launches.......... warning you and asking your permission to continue..

10. Follow LG Mobile Updater instructions...

Let the tool running and be pacient (for a few minutes)!
    ATTENTION!!
    After the phone reboots first time, DO NOT UNPLUG USB CABLE!!!
    WAIT!! Remove USB cable only after the log says that the flash was OK!

11. Reboot your phone once again.

12. Do a factory reset!

13. FINISH !!
    =============================================================
    I used 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 OS and worked like a charm.

All of course without guarantee! If you'll brick your phone, it is not my problem!

Many thanks to uncle_cracker at http://www.android-hilfe.de

===========================================================

Following this guide I managed to flash many (a lot of) times my phone with different .KDZ firmwares.
    ***********************************************************************************************************
    Apps 2 full list :

Code:
    920 Text Editor
    AdFree
    Adobe Flash Player 11.1
    Adobe Reader
    AirDroid
    Android Assistant
    AnReboot
    Appy Geek
    Appy News Republic
    Backgrounds
    Box
    Chrome
    Compass
    CPU Master
    Dolphin Mini
    Dropbox
    eBay
    Elixir
    ES File Explorer
    Facebook
    Firefox
    Flashlight (Small Tech)
    Flickr
    FrAndroid
    Go Backup Pro
    GO Launcher EX
    Google Translate
    GPS Test)
    Hebus HD Wallpapers
    Hoccer
    Holo Launcher
    Image Shack
    Kakao Talk
    La Chaîne Météo
    Launcher 7
    Le Bon Coin
    LG Notifications
    Marmiton
    MX Player
    NoLock
    Note Everything
    Opera Mini
    Outlook
    Pages Jaunes
    Pixelr
    PlayStation
    Quadrant
    Quicker
    QuickPic
    RealCalc
    ROM Manager
    Root Checker (Burrows)
    Searchlight
    Shell Commander
    SketchBookX
    Skyrock
    Solid Explorer 1.3.9b
    Spare Part+
    Spirit Level Plus
    TCM Music Tag Editor
    Titanium Backup
    Touchpal Keyboard
    Tumblr
    TV d'Orange
    Twisted Home Manager
    Twitter
    UC Mini
    UnitTab
    Viber
    Winamp
    Xbox SmartGlass
    XDA
    Xperia S
    Xperia T (ICS+)
    Youtube
    rgabi88 said:

I'm gonna flash mine too if the update doesn't suit to me.

Also, following your given url, there is a link which points to a list of firmwares here. This is just a copy of the first edit of my thread lol. It seems that I was the first to publish those links. If some of you speak german, you can discuss here.