[Q] Just got stock Note 2 and I WANNA ROOT Without Changing to 4.3 Bootloader

Search This thread

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
Hey guys, I just joined the club. I have a stock, never been rooted Note 2 and I want all that 4.3 or 4.4 goodness with Air Command

I've read a little bit and it seems that I should never upgrade this OTA because if I did, It would install a new bootloader with KNOX.

Since I still have the 4.1.2 bootloader, any chance I can root without installing 4.3 bootloader so that I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I want to sell the Note 2 when Note 4 comes in.

Can you guys recommend a 4.3 or 4.4 ROM that won't change my bootloader and will also give me the AirCommand function and apps (I really want Quickmemo). Oh and any ROMs that extend battery life and streamline BloatWiz is very welcome.

my battery is draining more than I like with Bloatwiz

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
Hey guys, I just joined the club. I have a stock, never been rooted Note 2 and I want all that 4.3 or 4.4 goodness with Air Command

I've read a little bit and it seems that I should never upgrade this OTA because if I did, It would install a new bootloader with KNOX.

Since I still have the 4.1.2 bootloader, any chance I can root without installing 4.3 bootloader so that I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I want to sell the Note 2 when Note 4 comes in.

Can you guys recommend a 4.3 or 4.4 ROM that won't change my bootloader and will also give me the AirCommand function and apps (I really want Quickmemo). Oh and any ROMs that extend battery life and streamline BloatWiz is very welcome.

my battery is draining more than I like with Bloatwiz

Thanks in advance

bump

ciphercodes

Oct 25, 2012
Few options.
1) Flash Mrrobinsons stock 4,3 using mobile odin pro and then flash the wifi patch or devil kernel.
2) If you do not have mobile odin pro you can flash the stock Rooted odin image which is packed with 4.1.2 bootloader from here.
3) You can basically flash any 4,4 ROM just make sure it does not come with bootloader (Most custom roms dont include), make sure to read the compatibility notes.

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
Few options.
1) Flash Mrrobinsons stock 4,3 using mobile odin pro and then flash the wifi patch or devil kernel.
2) If you do not have mobile odin pro you can flash the stock Rooted odin image which is packed with 4.1.2 bootloader from here.
3) You can basically flash any 4,4 ROM just make sure it does not come with bootloader (Most custom roms dont include), make sure to read the compatibility notes.

Do any of those come with Air Command? Do they streamline Bloatwiz? and since I will flash with the 4.1.2 bootloader intact, does that mean I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I'm about to sell my Note 2?

ciphercodes

Oct 25, 2012
Do any of those come with Air Command? Do they streamline Bloatwiz? and since I will flash with the 4.1.2 bootloader intact, does that mean I can go back to 4.1.2 stock when I'm about to sell my Note 2?

They are stock 4.3 images and they do not come with Air command, you may try DN3 ROM but again read the OP to ensure compatibility with 4.2.1 bootloader. Yes, you can go back to 4.1.2.

Last edited:

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
Are there more aggressive battery saving ROMs that wont compromise my 4.1.2 bootlader

From my understanding only Kies, OTA, or Odin/Heimdall (PC version) will touch the bootloader. Flashing in recovery shouldn't mess with it.

4.3 roms on the 4.1.2 bootloader need either a custom kernel such as Devil Kernel or the bootloader patch flashed via PC Odin or Heimdall to allow wifi to work. The patch can be overwritten by odin flashing 4.1.2 roms etc. Once 4.3 had been kies, OTA, or Odined the 4.3 bootloader is set.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Last edited:

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
From my understanding only Kies, OTA, or Odin/Heimdall (PC version) will touch the bootloader. Flashing in recovery shouldn't mess with it.

4.3 roms on the 4.1.2 bootloader need either a custom kernel such as Devil Kernel or the bootloader patch flashed via PC Odin or Heimdall to allow wifi to work. The patch can be overwritten by odin flashing 4.1.2 roms etc. Once 4.3 had been kies, OTA, or Odined the 4.3 bootloader is set.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

Yeah I'm pretty confused lol. Can someone make sense of this for me. Are all 4.3 ROMs gonna knock out my wifi and require me to reinstall a patch?

Any recommendations on 4.3 or 4.4 patches that can elongate battery life without killing my 4.1.2 bootloader. I NEED to be able to sell this phone like I never rooted it

Erik20t

Mar 9, 2013
Need a little help if you don't mind :) every time I restore any of my roms I backed up I lose service and phone can't find Sim card. Any idea what to do about this?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wingmann

Mar 2, 2007
Need a little help if you don't mind :) every time I restore any of my roms I backed up I lose service and phone can't find Sim card. Any idea what to do about this?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Er.... you might want to place this as a separate question in the Help & Troubleshooting forum, instead of asking it inside of this question. More people will see it as your own question with a pertinent title, than inside this poster's question. Just a thought.... :good: