[Q] Verizon G3 in bootloop from font change. Flash?

Search This thread
J

JacksonG

Thrown into a bootloop after rebooting using ROM Toolbox to change fonts. Rebooted, nothing. I reset cache, nothing. I can boot into recovery (the menu for clear cache, factory reset) but I'm not sure that's the solution. Sorry about this, I'm new to rooting and need some help.
Do I flash to the original .kdz file if I want to retain the settings and memory (music, photos, etc.)? Do I use LG Flash Tool 2014 for this? Or is there another way to get out of this bootloop without loosing internal data?

Koroz

Sep 3, 2010
Thrown into a bootloop after rebooting using ROM Toolbox to change fonts. Rebooted, nothing. I reset cache, nothing. I can boot into recovery (the menu for clear cache, factory reset) but I'm not sure that's the solution. Sorry about this, I'm new to rooting and need some help.
Do I flash to the original .kdz file if I want to retain the settings and memory (music, photos, etc.)? Do I use LG Flash Tool 2014 for this? Or is there another way to get out of this bootloop without loosing internal data?

you need to re-flash the tot file located in the Verizon development section on how to flash back to stock located here, follow the instructions exactly, don't rush it and it will put you back to stock. You will not "retain" any settings and if all your stuff is saved on the internal memory and not an external SD you will lose them also. I was unable at any point after a font change to save the system via the factory reset option, nor via the clear cache option. I eventually re-flashed.:

http://xdaforums.com/verizon-lg-g3/development/restore-verizon-to-stock-t2827878

J

JacksonG

you need to re-flash the tot file located in the Verizon development section on how to flash back to stock located here, follow the instructions exactly, don't rush it and it will put you back to stock. You will not "retain" any settings and if all your stuff is saved on the internal memory and not an external SD you will lose them also. I was unable at any point after a font change to save the system via the factory reset option, nor via the clear cache option. I eventually re-flashed.:

http://xdaforums.com/verizon-lg-g3/development/restore-verizon-to-stock-t2827878

So this method http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2797190 if I chose to normal flash would not fix it?

Last edited:

nory82688

Jan 8, 2011
South Jersey
So this method http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2797190 if I chose to normal flash would not fix it?

You may be able to get away with just doing a "wipe data / factory reset" to fix this.yes, you're going to lose your current data that's on the phone, but its a faster solution than flashing the TOT. Just try that first to see If that works, if not, go with the TOT like the other guy said.

I assume you're not running a custom ROM, because this could be easier if you were (you'd just reflash the ROM without wiping).

Sent from my LG-D851 using XDA Free mobile app

J

JacksonG

You may be able to get away with just doing a "wipe data / factory reset" to fix this.yes, you're going to lose your current data that's on the phone, but its a faster solution than flashing the TOT. Just try that first to see If that works, if not, go with the TOT like the other guy said.

I assume you're not running a custom ROM, because this could be easier if you were (you'd just reflash the ROM without wiping).

Yeah I'm running stock, this means I can't reflash without losing data? I know I'm repeating myself but after looking at several tutorials it seemed that I could just flash the stock firmware to fix the system errors that are causing the bootloop, but you're saying that's only possible with a custom ROM?

nory82688

Jan 8, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah I'm running stock, this means I can't reflash without losing data? I know I'm repeating myself but after looking at several tutorials it seemed that I could just flash the stock firmware to fix the system errors that are causing the bootloop, but you're saying that's only possible with a custom ROM?

No no no. You can flash the TOT file if you want to. It will work. Just make sure if you do, its for the Verizon G3. All I was saying is that it will be faster to just boot into recovery and try a factory data reset that way. It should fix the boot loop. You will lose the data on you phone either way though, whether its the TOT file you flash, or the more simple way of booting into recovery and doing a complete factory data reset. (In TWRP)

My comment about the custom ROM was that if you were running a custom ROM and ran into this bootloop, you could just reflash the custom ROM in recovery without wiping, and you would be able to keep phone data, and it would fix the bootloop. That's all. Lol

Koroz

Sep 3, 2010

I do not know of how to do this with the LG Flash tool. This might be available to do if you have an image of the filesystem then used the chinese recovery apk but I am not 100% sure as I do not use it nor have I tried it personally. I do know I was able to get the phone to boot if I used the same size filenames, but if any of the filenames or filesizes deviate from the list already in the system/font directory it causes a bootloop. When I attempted to use the L based fonts and matched filesizes, and names, I got a systemui crash that was also unrecoverable and even though the system loaded I couldn't get debug mode even though it was set before the crash.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

No no no. You can flash the TOT file if you want to. It will work. Just make sure if you do, its for the Verizon G3. All I was saying is that it will be faster to just boot into recovery and try a factory data reset that way. It should fix the boot loop. You will lose the data on you phone either way though, whether its the TOT file you flash, or the more simple way of booting into recovery and doing a complete factory data reset. (In TWRP)

My comment about the custom ROM was that if you were running a custom ROM and ran into this bootloop, you could just reflash the custom ROM in recovery without wiping, and you would be able to keep phone data, and it would fix the bootloop. That's all. Lol

This does not work as I have already stated. Factory data reset did not change/alter the system/font folder at least on the VZW model I have. I tried both from recovery and from the LG boot menu (Hold Vol Down and Power, once LG screen comes up release and then hold down vol and power again until it boots into the LG service menu.) Also, WE DO NOT HAVE UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS on VZW there is no custom recovery for his model.

Last edited:

nory82688

Jan 8, 2011
South Jersey
I do not know of how to do this with the LG Flash tool. This might be available to do if you have an image of the filesystem then used the chinese recovery apk but I am not 100% sure as I do not use it nor have I tried it personally. I do know I was able to get the phone to boot if I used the same size filenames, but if any of the filenames or filesizes deviate from the list already in the system/font directory it causes a bootloop. When I attempted to use the L based fonts and matched filesizes, and names, I got a systemui crash that was also unrecoverable and even though the system loaded I couldn't get debug mode even though it was set before the crash.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

This does not work as I have already stated. Factory data reset did not change/alter the system/font folder at least on the VZW model I have. I tried both from recovery and from the LG boot menu (Hold Vol Down and Power, once LG screen comes up release and then hold down vol and power again until it boots into the LG service menu.) Also, WE DO NOT HAVE UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS on VZW there is no custom recovery for his model.

Ahhh... Yeah , that's going to hinder things. Sorry, I have a t-mo g3, and we obviously have unlocked bootloaders and recovery . just assumed you guys did too by now.

OK, TOT file is the only option then . sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: Koroz

Koroz

Sep 3, 2010
Ahhh... Yeah , that's going to hinder things. Sorry, I have a t-mo g3, and we obviously have unlocked bootloaders and recovery . just assumed you guys did too by now.

Yup unfortunately. Had this happened in a week when the rumors are we might see unlocks for other models, he would have been in a much better position. I lost a bunch of photos too, which is why I now back them up to a cloud. I just have to remember to erase the "Special" ones from the wife! =P

Sorry for the caps, it was meant more for those people who come after reading this then you. The OP Already sounds a bit confused on what his phone can and can't do so I didn't want him getting confused which was why there was emphasis added. =)

Reactions: nory82688

nory82688

Jan 8, 2011
South Jersey
Yup unfortunately. Had this happened in a week when the rumors are we might see unlocks for other models, he would have been in a much better position. I lost a bunch of photos too, which is why I now back them up to a cloud. I just have to remember to erase the "Special" ones from the wife! =P

Sorry for the caps, it was meant more for those people who come after reading this then you. The OP Already sounds a bit confused on what his phone can and can't do so I didn't want him getting confused which was why there was emphasis added. =)

Lol totally understand. I was just trying to help, and now I feel bad that I confused him more .

I actually ran into the same bootloop with trying to flash a new font a couple days ago , but my fix was much less involved than the TOT file haha . I hope you guys get an unlock soon and untethered recovery ( I think you guys have tethered right?) , because flashing the tot can be a pain in the ass. Plus development should start to pick up across the board too.
We have some kernels and stock deodexed Roms, but I'm dying for some aosp on this phone ;)

Koroz

Sep 3, 2010
Lol totally understand. I was just trying to help, and now I feel bad that I confused him more .

I actually ran into the same bootloop with trying to flash a new font a couple days ago , but my fix was much less involved than the TOT file haha . I hope you guys get an unlock soon and untethered recovery ( I think you guys have tethered right?) , because flashing the tot can be a pain in the ass. Plus development should start to pick up across the board too.
We have some kernels and stock deodexed Roms, but I'm dying for some aosp on this phone ;)

Agreed. =)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.