Polaroid ICS PMID701i 5 points capacitive 7" tablet $99 BigLots

Search This thread

yebyen

Apr 26, 2012
hey fester, I think we're going to have to flash a custom rom...

I've never done this, but I've been into android roms and android-x86 for a long time. Hopefully someone has already built the thing. I don't know if it's gotten any easier since I was building roms for the android-x86 project (way back in Eclair or Donut is the last time I successfully built one on my own.)

If anyone knows which version of Cyanogenmod rom to install, or if there is a solution I can download from another device with market access and just install, I will probably take that road, but your factory reset problem sounds like something that will really need a new/custom rom. Maybe it came with something bad?

I am really surprised to find these tablets with no root protection out of box. Even Chih-Wei's roms for Android-x86 project would leave the "factory image" in a squashfs read only mode if you followed all of the instructions correctly when building. That way when your factory reset doesn't work anymore, it's because _you_ rooted the device and screwed it up. Not because the rom vendor (or builder) has done anything wrong, but because the factory image was improperly "hacked".

I think they might make jokes about me if I try to contact Polaroid company for support. The vendor website looks pretty non-polaroid, I was pretty sure that company did not exist anymore until I bought the thing. I think this company doesn't want to provide phone or other support for $99 devices. Maybe we can get them to release their build sources, though?

Is there anything in ISV contract from Google that would prevent this?

Where can we get full rooted (tested) roms with all Google framework?

Is that what you pay the $1500 for franchise agreement, Polaroid? :)

dinmorerbedst

Mar 15, 2012
Is it only me or is that tablet not 16:9 format? that resolution 800x480 is 5:3 is a square more or less, meaning ether a strecthed picture or not filling out the screen.

Seems cheap but resolution is everything atm, who wants streched image or black boarders on movies/music videos?

yebyen

Apr 26, 2012
dinmorerbedst, it looks like a widescreen to me

I got a Velocity Cruz T301 that is 640x480 or some other mostly 4:3 resolution,
That one sucks :) This 4.0 7" tablet is really quite nice.

So far youtube videos mostly seem to fit well on this screen, don't look stretched, no black bars. I am really impressed except that I have to go through actual work to get the market working. I had issues that I haven't seen anyone describe yet.

Maybe I will try adb push/adb reboot method again after work tonight, and it will just work, but for now it seems like I'm having silent key error, can't connect to market. It's almost as bad as only having access to Amazon market :D

Corki2

Aug 5, 2008
Play Store download error code 942

Hi, I got this tablet the other day and love it. I returned a Coby MID7012 I bought in favor of this one. The coby had a resistive screen and ran 2.3. World of difference. This is a huge upgrade for the same price. The only issue I am having is with Play Store. I originally copied my framework, one time initialalizer and vending apk's to my sd card and installed. Good to go except an error code "unable to download error code 942" on certain paid and free apps. I just reset my device and used the procedure and zip file from here and reinstalled the Play Store. I'm getting the same error. I have contacted the devs for some of the apps in question and they tell me their apps are compatible with tablets and don't know what the problem is. One of them sent me the apk and the app installed and ran perfectly.

I also tried the market fix in DPI manager and that didn't help either.

Does anyone else have this problem?

yebyen

Apr 26, 2012
I went out and looked up a newer version of Market (Google Play)

Downloaded, installed, now I get a more different "Server Error (Retry)" where the button is beneath the message instead of beside it.

The market is 3.5.15
The tutorials I've found suggest logging in and out of Talk until Play tries to download an update for itself to resolve this issue.

Talk crashes immediately on startup, so that is a no-go. I keep thinking if I clear caches and reboot enough times, it's just going to work. Maybe I can get a new version of that Talk APK, too. Someone help me market enable my PMID701i?

I have bitcoins! :)

Corki2

Aug 5, 2008
I went out and looked up a newer version of Market (Google Play)

Downloaded, installed, now I get a more different "Server Error (Retry)" where the button is beneath the message instead of beside it.

The market is 3.5.15
The tutorials I've found suggest logging in and out of Talk until Play tries to download an update for itself to resolve this issue.

Talk crashes immediately on startup, so that is a no-go. I keep thinking if I clear caches and reboot enough times, it's just going to work. Maybe I can get a new version of that Talk APK, too. Someone help me market enable my PMID701i?

I have bitcoins! :)

I couldn't get talk to open either. It downloaded fine but does nothing when I click on it.

MikeyLee

Jul 20, 2010
Phoenix
Talk doesnt work but Text Plus gold works for both texting and also calling over WiFi. It's pretty funny to go into a Starbucks and turn on WiFi and then call someone with Text Plus and then hold a 7" tablet up to your ear hahaha!

Reactions: Corki2

tritiumh3

Apr 26, 2012
I've gone through these steps several times now, and I am able to see the Google Market. Unfortunately, whenever I start up my tablet, I get the following the message: Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped. I can press OK on that message. I also cannot download anything from the market. I get a message that says: <<App Name Here>> could not be downloaded due to an error. It does not elaborate further.

Any ideas on how to address these problems?

Download the file below

Unzip and copy it into your sd card
insert the sd card into the tablet
open file manager (already there on your tablet)
navigate to your sd card and tap to install
ES File Explorer 1.6.1.3.apk
OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk

To check root access
- Open es file explorer
- go to settings
- scroll down to Root settings
- make sure there are check sign under Root Explorer and Mount File System (Mine already selected since its fully rooted out of the box) If not, select or check it to have root access to system folder

Install Market

- With ES file explorer Navigate to your ext-sdcard (by tapping the star sign/Favorites) and copy Vending.apk to system/app by the following
- Long press Vending.apk and select copy (you will see drawer icon on the bottom)
- Select favorites (star symbol) and tap phone symbol or / (its the second icon from the left after Home icon)
- Tap system folder than tap app folder
- Once you on app folder, drag the drawer icon up and tap Vending.apk to paste it.
- Once its successfully done you need to change the Permissions to RW R R
by long press the Vending.apk-Properties - than change (under permissions)

If for some reason you cant install OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk by tapping it, do the same procedure as copying the Vending.apk

Now reboot and you should have Google Market.

MikeyLee

Jul 20, 2010
Phoenix
I've gone through these steps several times now, and I am able to see the Google Market. Unfortunately, whenever I start up my tablet, I get the following the message: Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped. I can press OK on that message. I also cannot download anything from the market. I get a message that says: <<App Name Here>> could not be downloaded due to an error. It does not elaborate further.

Any ideas on how to address these problems?

Do this:

Download Root Explorer

Go to system/app and rename GoogleServicesFramework.apk to GoogleServicesFrameworkbak.apk so that you have a back up

Take the GoogleServicesFramework.apk and vending.apk files from the zip and copy them to your SD card. Then again with Root explorer go to SD card, copy the two files and paste them in system/app. Change permissions to

Read Write Execute

Owner X X

Group X

Others X

Reboot

Reactions: tritiumh3

tritiumh3

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks, MikeyLee, but that still hasn't resolved the issue. When I power back up, I'm still seeing the "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."

I can press OK and continue into the OS, but this message does pop back up at odd intervals. I've researched it with some Google queries, and the causes are varied and do not seem to apply to this case. I'm stumped.

Do this:

Download Root Explorer

Go to system/app and rename GoogleServicesFramework.apk to GoogleServicesFrameworkbak.apk so that you have a back up

Take the GoogleServicesFramework.apk and vending.apk files from the zip and copy them to your SD card. Then again with Root explorer go to SD card, copy the two files and paste them in system/app. Change permissions to

Read Write Execute

Owner X X

Group X

Others X

Reboot

RodMyers

Jun 21, 2011
tritiumh3 , I get the same thing, at times.

for me though, it does not affect the operation(s) of the tablet

Reactions: tritiumh3

Pigumon

Apr 27, 2012
Thanks

Download the file below

[...ETC.]

I wasn't able to find the 701i, just the 701C, but this procedure worked on the C just the same. Perfectly easy to follow, and it WORKS!

Thanks!

tritiumh3

Apr 26, 2012
Right on. For my tablet, I'm averaging once or twice per minute with that error, so its really interfering with my ability to use the tablet. Often, it will close whatever I had open at the time too.

Its definitely tied to the GoogleServiceFramework APK file. If I revert that, I lose the error message, but that comes at the expense of the store.

tritiumh3 , I get the same thing, at times.

for me though, it does not affect the operation(s) of the tablet

airanp

Apr 7, 2011
I picked one up today, honestly its my first Android product. It seems cool but once the screen lock is used, i wake it up the screen doesn not respond at all. The physical buttons on the side work but nothing on the screen responds to my touch. I have to completly reboot it to get it to work again. I am going to take it back and exchange it for another one as long as they still have em. I did the factory reset twice and nothing.

Corki2

Aug 5, 2008
Talk doesnt work but Text Plus gold works for both texting and also calling over WiFi. It's pretty funny to go into a Starbucks and turn on WiFi and then call someone with Text Plus and then hold a 7" tablet up to your ear hahaha!

I guess you can only talk for free to people who have TPG also. I found another app called Talkatone that uses your google voice number to recieve and make phone calls as well as texts to anyone in the US. It seems to work pretty good. The app is free as are the calls and texts.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

I picked one up today, honestly its my first Android product. It seems cool but once the screen lock is used, i wake it up the screen doesn not respond at all. The physical buttons on the side work but nothing on the screen responds to my touch. I have to completly reboot it to get it to work again. I am going to take it back and exchange it for another one as long as they still have em. I did the factory reset twice and nothing.

Do you have a lot of apps running when it bogs down? Mine is pretty responsive unless I have too many apps open at the same time.

airanp

Apr 7, 2011
I guess you can only talk for free to people who have TPG also. I found another app called Talkatone that uses your google voice number to recieve and make phone calls as well as texts to anyone in the US. It seems to work pretty good. The app is free as are the calls and texts.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Do you have a lot of apps running when it bogs down? Mine is pretty responsive unless I have too many apps open at the same time.

No apps running, I can literally cold start it, wait for it to boot up, then hit standby and then wake it up and the screen doesn't respond at all. I have done it over and over. I have looked at every setting I can find. I think it's just a defectiveone because I can't find anyone with this issue online. I like it and want to keep it so hopefully they have one for exchange.

Update: Exchanged for new one, no problems.

Last edited:

N4RPS

Jun 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I tried installing GoogleServicesFramework along with the rest of the GApps bundle that I've found commonly distributed for this (same linked in this thread)

I got a message about an existing package with non-matching key. So I struggled for a while, and I got Google Market working, but Talk and Setup Wizard were both having problems, and I still hadn't installed my own GoogleServicesFramework.

I got in and figured out enough ADB to remove (not move away) the old one, and put in the new one, now I am able to install the services framework, but Google Market always gives me connection problem (retry)

Server Error

I think it's unlikely that the servers all went down right after I overwrite this APK...

Help?

Does anyone distribute the signed apk from vendor? I lost my copy and I can't find what vendor or unofficial rom to install in order to recover myself.

Other than this framework difficulty (I was willing to try Amazon market, but it wouldn't even let me download a free app once I logged in...) great tablet! I got it at Best Buy $99 last day on this special today right? :)

(I hear they ran the same special a few weeks ago)
Hello!

At this time, Southern Telecom has not released recovery images for either the 701c or 701i. I recommend you return it to its place of purchase for exchange or refund.

Some people on Freaktab.com have copied the stock ROM for the 701c, and one for the 701i is close. They just have to work out the g-sensor being backwards on the 701i units with tv out jacks. The ROM for the ones without TV out jacks on them works just fine.

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Hello!

At this time, Southern Telecom has not released recovery images for either the 701c or 701i. I recommend you return it to its place of purchase for exchange or refund.

Some people on Freaktab.com have copied the stock ROM for the 701c, and one for the 701i is close. They just have to work out the g-sensor being backwards on the 701i units with tv out jacks. The ROM for the ones without TV out jacks on them works just fine.

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
They either fixed the rom image or it doesn't affect everyone. My PMID701i has the TV Out jack and the g-sensor worked fine for me. Unfortunately, mine is going back today. Twice now the internal memory has gotten corrupted, or something, and the unit starts up as a brand new unit, all my account info and apps are gone, and there is no free space anywhere to install new apps. I'm assuming a defective unit and don't know if I want to chance it with another one. I guess I'll make up my mind between here and Big Lots.

By the way, for anyone interested here is the link to the Polaroid section of Freaktabs. The 701i image is one of the stickies.
http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?62-Polaroid-Tablets

Mar 10, 2012
Would anyone with this device be so kind as to upload the ContactsProvider.apk system/app that comes with it and give me the link?

I deleted mine by accident when trying to add the People ICS app from my phone. All I have is now is the ContactsProvider.apk from my phone, and when I use it Google Voice crashes upon opening.

Anyone? Please?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just returned my first 701i because the display was fuzzy at the comfortable viewing angle. The new one is definitely better. I went throught the same set-up as the first, without my previous fails at loading the Google Market. This time I tried installing the com.android.vending-3.5.15.apk without doing any roots. It installed fine, I went through the whole set-up process with Google and it was in my Apps. When I tried to use it I got a "Unfortunately....has stopped". I uninstalled it and installed vending-3.1.3-signed.apk that I found in a downlod of 4 files on another post. It worked on the other tablet and works on this one. I have downloaded a few apps successfully, even after receiving errors on re-boots. I get "com.android.smspush" and "cpm.google.process.gapps" has stopped on every re-boot. Do I need to worry about these messages, I seldom re-boot and hiting OK a couple of times is an agrevation I can live with as long as the Market works? Will I still get updates for the apps I have downloaded or do I need to install another apk or two?I have not rooted this thing yet nor do I have a clue how to do that.

It should be rooted out of the box.

Here's what I did step-by-step from the start, out of the box. I have Market and Google Apps working with no issues or error messages:

1. Download this on your computer: http://rapidshare.com/files/4069402236/marketpolaroid.zip
    2. Plug your tablet into your computer via USB, tap the 'USB connected' notification on the tablet, and press 'Turn on USB Storage'
    3. Drag all of the .apk files from 'marketpolaroid.zip' anywhere onto your tablet's SD card. For the sake of example, I extracted them into the 'Download' folder in my home directory on the tablet.
    4. Open 'File Manager' which comes preinstalled on the tablet and navigate to the 'Download' folder in your home directory.
    5. Tap 'ES File Explorer 1.6.1.3.apk', 'OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk', and 'GoogleServicesFramework.apk' to install them.
    6. Open ES File Explorer. Menu button > Settings. Scroll down to the 'Root Settings' section. Check to enable 'Root Explorer' and 'Mount File System'
    7. Within ES File Explorer, navigate back to your 'Download' folder.
    8. Long click on 'Vending.apk' and click 'Copy'
    9. Click on the 'Favorites' button at the top, and then click on '/'. Click on the 'system' folder. Click on the 'app' folder.
    10. Click the 'Paste' button at the top of the screen.
    11. Long click on 'Vending.apk' and scroll down to 'Properties'
    12. Click on 'Change'. Vending.apk's permissions should look like this:

8151954.png

13. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to this:

8151957.png

14. Reboot

You should now have the Android Market (will update to the Play Store automatically once you use it).

You can use the paste-into-system/app-and-change-permissions method outlined above to install Google Apps from your phone (assuming it is running Android 4.0) onto the tablet. For example, I copied 'YouTube.apk' and 'Talk.apk' from the phone's system/app folder to my computer, and then moved them from the computer to the tablet's SD card. I then pasted them into system/app on the tablet and fixed their permissions. Rebooted and voila: they work perfectly.

To get the People (contacts) app from your phone, just move Contacts.apk and ContactProvider.odex from your phone into the Tablet's system/app. DO NOT REPLACE THE 'ContactsProvider.apk' THAT COMES WITH THE TABLET WITH THE 'ContactsProvider.apk' FROM YOUR PHONE. This will cause your Google Apps to force close upon opening and just randomly every 45 seconds. At least that's what happened for me. Just using 2 of the 3 files has the People app on my tablet working as it should.

If you simply tapped on the vending-3.1.3-signed.apk that you mentioned to install it, I would recommend uninstalling it normally, rebooting, and then doing what I outlined in this post. If you put vending-3.1.3-signed.apk in the system/app folder, delete it, reboot, and then start from step 1.

Hope this helps.
    Just picked one up yesterday for $99.99
    Very impressive so far

Here are the specs

ICS 4.0.3 (Fully rooted out of the box)
    7" tablet
    512 DDR3 RAM (307mb user available)
    Arm Cortex 8 1Ghz
    Graphics Open GL ES2.0/3D game support
    Screen 800 by 480 16:9 format
    5 points capacitive
    Internal Memory 4GB (expandable through Micro SD)
    wifi 8011. b/g/n
    Mini USB (to charge and work as a host as well)
    Video output jack
    Speaker and microphone

there are no google play market
    however I dont have any difficulty installing it by copying google services framework.apk and vending.apk from CM7 website
    No force close or any problem so far.

Netflix works
    Skype also works (no video chat cause it doesnt have camera)
    All angry birds also works

Booting time under 25 seconds
    How did you get root? Grabbed es explorer and tried to get off of the sd card, and no go.
    Google play store keeps "force closing ".on me

Sent from my A1_07 using Tapatalk 2

Download the file below
    http://rapidshare.com/files/4069402236/marketpolaroid.zip

open file manager (already there on your tablet)
    navigate to your sd card and tap to install
    ES File Explorer 1.6.1.3.apk
    OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk
    GoogleServicesFramework.apk

To check root access
    - Open es file explorer
    - go to settings
    - scroll down to Root settings
    - make sure there are check sign under Root Explorer and Mount File System (Mine already selected since its fully rooted out of the box) If not, select or check it to have root access to system folder

Install Market

- With ES file explorer Navigate to your ext-sdcard (by tapping the star sign/Favorites) and copy Vending.apk to system/app by the following
    - Long press Vending.apk and select copy (you will see drawer icon on the bottom)
    - Select favorites (star symbol) and tap phone symbol or / (its the second icon from the left after Home icon)
    - Tap system folder than tap app folder
    - Once you on app folder, drag the drawer icon up and tap Vending.apk to paste it.
    - Once its successfully done you need to change the Permissions to RW R R
    by long press the Vending.apk-Properties - than change (under permissions)

If for some reason you cant install OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk by tapping it, do the same procedure as copying the Vending.apk

How did you get root? Grabbed es explorer and tried to get off of the sd card, and no go.
    Google play store keeps "force closing ".on me

Sent from my A1_07 using Tapatalk 2

device comes prerooted, you need to install a root capable file explorer first. here's how:

1. download and install the latest Android SDK
    2. Using ADB commands
    a. connect your 701i to your PC
    b. at a command prompt type "adb remount"
    c. type "adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app/"
    d. type "adb push Vending.apk /system/app/"
    e. type "adb reboot"
    3. open "Google Play" from your apps drawer
    4. search for "esfile explorer"
    5. install "esfile explorer"

now you have google play and a root capable file explorer.
    google apps can be found searching google or xda (make sure it the ICS version)
    hoodred-

I believe I have read thought this thread pretty good, but I don't recall seeing if your "fix" adding the Play Store to the Polaroid made the store "show" more available apps? Is this a "standard" store or a modified store so we can get almost any app? Thanks for your work...as well as the others working on improving this tab. BTW, I am using a PMID701c with ICS installed.

It's only to install Google Play Store. To show more apps you need to change/tweak build prop. Just becarefull just because it shows more apps, it doesnt mean it will run on the tablet.