Any Epic users coming over?

Search This thread

lordcyrus

Jun 23, 2010
NJ
I'll be moving over from the Epic 4G. As nice as the keyboard is, I very rarely use it. This is going to be a long week.

jimmiekain

Oct 21, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga
www.twitter.com
I had the HTC Touch Pro 2 and before that the HTC Mogul... I got the evo then the evo 3d then the epic touch 4g

(the touch pro2 had a slide out keyboard)... I dont have any issues with not having a real KB... I am probably faster on my touch screen phones. My gf has the regular Epic right now and im gonna talk her into getting the evo lte too... she will be happier with it.

bohiti

Jan 4, 2008
WI
Coming from an Epic myself. Not too worried about missing the keyboard, as I've been forcing myself to use the on screen KB for awhile and feel just as comfortable. In fact looking forward to a sleek phone. The KB makes this thing fat!!

Hate the GPS and some other signal quirks on the Epic, a main reason I'm switching.

Concerned about s-on, root, and developer commitment on Evo compared to the aforementioned Samsung super alliance, but I have faith that this phone will be very popular.

NissanNick

Jun 12, 2011
I love the keyboard on the epic and I use it all the time (right now being one of them). This phone also has been the toughest phone I have ever used! I have not had one problem with it....

I thought about the s3 but I don't want to wait... And I really don't like all the "cool features".... They seem like security risks to me lol... Having my phone watch my eyes is to much.

Plus they are basically the same phone.. But we get a kickstand.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

kidstechno

Dec 6, 2009
Epic 4G user here, contemplating making the jump.

My upgrade isn't until early June, but I'm tempted to see more reviews (especially concerning battery life). The non-removable battery isn't a quip for me since I primarily use mine at work and I'm able to plug it in but I'd like to know if I travel and forget a charger I'd be fine through a day or day and a half.

The Galaxy 3 looks neat but coming from Epic 4G (****ty GPS, sticky software response w/ physical keyboard, EClair took FOREVER) it only took 2 years for the device to be worth a damn :rolleyes: Loved the development community and running AOKP ICS with no problems whatsoever which turned the Epic 4G into an actual solid device.

I'm scared that with all the extra features Samsung has tacked onto the S3 and TouchWiz, upgrading to Jelly Bean (or whatever the new version is) will be a nightmare. From what I've seen, HTC has a much better track record with updates and support (still rolling out updates to the original Evo 4G).

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
Funny u mention the add ons being a problem I brought that up w android police in their review of the s3 lol and I feel that may be why it took so long for the 3d as well on top of them throwing it to virgin mobile

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Liner81

Jan 12, 2011
I'm planning on jumping from the epic as well. I never use the hardware keyboard. I also am tired of the long waits for upgrades from Samsung. Just hope the dev community is as solid as the epicmtd... been rocking ics since day one on the epic.

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
super alliance haha that's funny...hopefully developers from other devices will see how beneficial it was for all of us to come together and actually get stuff done

Rodderik, you just made my decision much more difficult. Upgrade hits on June 1 and I change my mind everyday. I think the fact that I have never owned a HTC and I would be back to square one may be clouding my judgment a bit. I am starting to troll both the S3 and this forum to see who is getting what and trying to see which has the greater dev support.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Rodderik

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
Rodderik, you just made my decision much more difficult. Upgrade hits on June 1 and I change my mind everyday. I think the fact that I have never owned a HTC and I would be back to square one may be clouding my judgment a bit. I am starting to troll both the S3 and this forum to see who is getting what and trying to see which has the greater dev support.

life's not always easy my friend...will be my first HTC device as well :D

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
life's not always easy my friend...will be my first HTC device as well :D

Man, I just popped in Radio Shack and showed manager my phones. He said he would push my upgrade early and guaranteed I can have one on launch day if I want. I also got the employee's "confidential" memo discussing particulars. They are really making it hard to say no...lol

Edit..they are really trying to unload Photon ($49.99) and Epic Touch ($99.99) to make room for the next generation

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336857464350.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336857464350.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

tmuka

Oct 25, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I pre-ordered today! I'm a former epic 4g user until I bought a used nexus s 4g in November when I got tired of waiting for sprint's galaxy nexus info... I'm glad they finally launched the galaxy nexus, just feels 6 months old... i love that the evo 4g lte is fresh new tech! S4 chip at 28nm ftw! Glad to see some respected names I recognize in this thread!

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
I'm thinking about it, but my upgrade isn't until January, so there may be better phones on sprint by then.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

jspsuperman

Feb 19, 2011
Visalia
I'm thinking about it, but my upgrade isn't until January, so there may be better phones on sprint by then.

I was in the same boat and called sprint and asked if there was any way I could get a early upgrade, I was put on hold and the lady came back after a few mins and said if I paid 85 bucks I could have a full upgrade. I said hell yes to that! And now the 18th cant come soon enough! Oh and John, I had asked you about the epic touch but it fell through and I think this workd out much better. :D

Reactions: ckoadiyn

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
I was in the same boat and called sprint and asked if there was any way I could get a early upgrade, I was put on hold and the lady came back after a few mins and said if I paid 85 bucks I could have a full upgrade. I said hell yes to that! And now the 18th cant come soon enough! Oh and John, I had asked you about the epic touch but it fell through and I think this workd out much better. :D

I'd rather wait til lte is here though since I have fairly decent wimax.

Jayavarman

Jan 20, 2011
I do a lot of e-mail and writing, so I prefer a physical keyboard for the long compositions of text during my day-to-day travels away from a computer. However, if no adequate successor to the Epic 4G comes out by this fall, then I may go for one of these big phones.

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen

I am in the same boat as you. I love what I'm reading about both the gs3 and the evo lte. Things that make me non committed on either phone are.

Samsung: Radios, radios, radios. Need I say more?

Evo... S-off. I do not want to resort to fastboot to flash roms and kernels. I want my cwm recovery or equivalent. This is pretty much the deal breaker and the only reason this phone isn't already pre ordered.

If I had to choose between the Samsung crappy radios or no cwm or equivalent I will choose crappy radio every time.

downsouth11

Mar 29, 2011
Miami
Had the Epic since launch and making the switch on Friday. No hardware keyboard is not a problem since I haven't used it in months. Software alternatives are excellent.

My concern is the camera. Samsung always has the best cameras and best picture quality (my Epic is better than most phones that came out after). I worry that the SGIII camera will blow this one out of the water.

I am ready to try something other than Samsung. Their update process leaves a lot to be desired.

Robbzilla

May 12, 2010
I've got concerns about not having a keyboard..

Does anyone who has owned a keyboard phone ever made the switch to one of these large screens?

I'd love to hear about the transition..

I went from Moment --> Epic --> Epic Touch, so I can speak. I honestly DO miss my keyboard, but the Touch was so much nicer (esp. battery life) that I live with it. Swype has been a godsend, but it still doesn't really replace a physical KB... There are times I LOVE Swype, esp. when I'm working one handed, but the Physical KB is surely missed... Just not enough to stop me from pre-ordering my EVO :)

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

If I had to choose between the Samsung crappy radios or no cwm or equivalent I will choose crappy radio every time.

I'm in the other boat... My office building doesn't have available WiFi, and it's got crappy reception, so I need a better radio if possible...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got concerns about not having a keyboard..

Does anyone who has owned a keyboard phone ever made the switch to one of these large screens?

I'd love to hear about the transition..

i'll be making the journey with you...no fears my friend...i will be giving my overflashed and abused epic to my wife
    super alliance haha that's funny...hopefully developers from other devices will see how beneficial it was for all of us to come together and actually get stuff done

Nothing will ever beat Swype!

Except for SwiftKeyX and SwiftKey 3 Beta.

;)

Seriously, I loved Swype for a long time - now I never use it.
    For me personally, having come from a touch pro 2 to the old evo, with all of my close friends using epics, i would have to say that the transition was not as hard as i imagined it to be, from one of the best hardware keyboards on a phone to having no keyboard at all. The screen size on the original evo definately made a difference in usability, and i would imagine that the even bigger screen on the new one will make it much less harsh. At first i thought it was because i was just able to adapt because i just got the hang of it, but then i tried to use the tiny keyboards on my parents' iphones and i realized fast that the screen size was a big factor.

I use keyboard manager to keep it in swype in portrait mode and switch to thumb keyboard in landscape, its a little less accurate than having a hardware keyboard, but its not the end of the world.
    The tp2 had the best keyboard I ever used

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium