[ROM][July13][KitKat][4.4.4] Beanstalk | Release 6 | bravo

Search This thread

Chromium

Oct 5, 2012
Toronto
chromium1.blogspot.ca
Aha! I think I know the problem. I had to slim the keyboard in order to get the ROM to fit on the standard desire hboot. So i removed all languages except english. Could you please try full wipe and reflash, but this time use English? If this is the problem I'll have to find a way to get other languages in.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kaaposc

MICH_**

Jul 5, 2013
Aha! I think I know the problem. I had to slim the keyboard in order to get the ROM to fit on the standard desire hboot. So i removed all languages except english. Could you please try full wipe and reflash, but this time use English? If this is the problem I'll have to find a way to get other languages in.

sure :) just a second

keyboard now working with englich (US) selected !

Last edited:
Reactions: Chromium

koolkunz

May 13, 2013

Add this as a note OP before more people start asking

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

koolkunz

May 13, 2013
Yay. Anyone have some idea on a good solution or workaround for including other languages?

One possible solution...make flashable language packs on the request of users and keep adding them to OP..so other people with same language can use it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

kostelo

Apr 28, 2011
Yay. Anyone have some idea on a good solution or workaround for including other languages?

Personally the first thing I do before installing any rom is to delete launcher.apk and latinime.apk. Instead of them, I place a copy of Hacker's keyboard apk and nova 2.2.3 version (not the latest one 2.3, as it always lags for me) in /system/app. With this setup, everything works fine for me.
However I don't know if you are allowed to include hacker's keyboard apk by default in your rom, even though it is freeware. :rolleyes:

Reactions: UncannyValley

bundo111

Oct 19, 2011
I am using it for a day, and only bugs i saw are that high brightness in torch isn't working (works for a sec, turns off) and random screen flashing (just a few times).
The rest of it works like a charm. It is fast, there is a lot of free ram (mostly between 200 and 250 mbs), very stable, etc.

looking forward to new releases, good job mate :)

spezi77

Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jan 27, 2013
/home/less

For slimming down the rom, you could remove Gallery2.apk and use GalleryGoogle.apk instead. The advantage of GalleryGoogle is that it can be installed on /data.

My first impression on beanstalk:
- fast (especially nova launcher)
- eye candy
- interesting rom control options
- HW keys do not work, except for the Home button
- even with softkeys on, the back button does not work for me

Keep up the good work! :cool:

Last edited:

kostelo

Apr 28, 2011
For slimming down the rom, you could remove Gallery2.apk and use GalleryGoogle.apk instead. The advantage of GalleryGoogle is that it can be installed on /data.

- eye candy

Both HW keys and softkeys work for me as expected, each and every one.

Chromium

Oct 5, 2012
Toronto
chromium1.blogspot.ca
I am using it for a day, and only bugs i saw are that high brightness in torch isn't working (works for a sec, turns off) and random screen flashing (just a few times).
The rest of it works like a charm. It is fast, there is a lot of free ram (mostly between 200 and 250 mbs), very stable, etc.

looking forward to new releases, good job mate :)

Thanks for the feedback. Im also loving the fact that theres so much free ram. Im guessing its a kitkat thing, cause on jellybean i was usually around 100mb of free ram.

- eye candy

Thnaks for the suggestion. Ill do that in the next release. As kostelo said, HW keys are working fine for me. :eek:

Reactions: aelfinn

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GZutZQu.jpg

HZX60s6.jpg

gGu6zrP.jpg

m26tNOt.jpg

Info:
    I am proud to present you with Beanstalk ROM for the HTC Desire. This feature packed ROM is created and maintained by scott.hart.bti, and contains tons of customization from SlimROM and CyanogenMod. This is currently by far the most feature filled KitKat ROM available for the HTC Desire, so if you like customization, this is the one for you.

Features:
    Basically everything that you could possibly want including...
    - Navigation bar settings (colours, icons, layout, buttons)
    - Pie with many options
    - Status bar settings
    - Lockscreen settings
    - Lockscreen blur effect
    - MultiWindow
    - Dark stalk
    - Halo
    - Lockscreen notifications
    - Theme chooser
    - Performance control (overclock, underclock, change kernel governor)
    - Notification drawer and Quick settings customization
    - Active Display (the thing from the Moto X)
    - Built in Screen Recorder
    - Custom system animations
    - Custom ListView (scroll) animations
    - Custom ProgressBar animations
    - Xposed built in
    - Per App Settings via xposed module
    - Customizable power menu
    - Gesture Anywhere
    - Many Init.d tweaks
    - Recents RAM bar
    - Slim recents
    - Hover
    - Heads Up notifications
    - Battery saver mode
    - Shake events
    - Tons of other stuff that I cant fit here

To do for next build:
    - No complaints yet

Download:
    Release 1: Mediafire // AndroidFileHost
    - Initial release

Release 2: Mediafire // AndroidFileHost
    - Add trackpad wake
    - Performance enhancements via bionic optimization
    - Full hardware acceleration enabled
    - Flash this to get translucent bars
    - Lots of slimming
    - GApps no longer built in, available as a separate package.

Release 3: Mediafire // AndroidFileHost
    - Updated to latest Beanstalk sources, resulting in new features, optimizations and other useful commits
    - New Android build number, KVT49L - 4.4.2 r2
    - Better performance increase by including all suggestions from here
    - Translucent bars enabled by default
    - Fixed Downloads app crash
    - Fixed Audit continuous background crash in log
    - Built tun.ko module for VPN app compatibility
    - Included fix for WiFi tethering

Release 3.5: Mediafire // AndroidFileHost
    - Updated to latest Beanstalk sources which include the new Slim recents

Release 4: Mediafire // AndroidFileHost
    - Updated to latest Purity bionic repo
    - Updated to latest Beanstalk sources bringing the following features:
    ----• Battery bar
    ----• Status bar colour
    ----• Status bar font style
    ----• Keyboard animations
    - ART is no longer included since it doesn't even work
    - Use mako Adreno blobs
    - Fix the bug that stopped the torch from remaining on while the screen is off
    - Fix torch high brightness not working
    - Moved Gallery, Camera, Email and Exchange to /data in order to make room for Adreno libs on /system

Release 4.5: Mediafire // AndroidFileHost
    - Reverted use of mako Adreno blobs (they were causing some lag)

Release 5: Mediafire // AndroidFileHost
    - Fixed WiFi getting stuck while turning on
    - Fixed VPN/tun.ko (thanks @spezi77)
    - Fixed random SystemUI corruption
    - Replaced incorrect Halo toggle drawable with the proper one
    - Merged a bunch of kernel tweak commits from croniccorey's Eternity kernel
    - GCC top level optimizations via O3
    - Included few CM dalvik patches
    - Added LowSoundFixer
    - If your Camera is force closing, flash this

Release 6: Mediafire // AndroidFileHost
    - Updated to latest Beanstalk sources (lots of new features including Hover, Heads Up, Shake Events, Battery saver mode, and many others)
    - New Android version, 4.4.4
    - Speed improvements
    - Faster boot time
    - Fixed MediaProvider crashing on boot
    - Fixed SetupWizard so that we no longer have to reboot in between flashing ROM and GApps
    - WiFi improvements

GApps: Mediafire // AndroidFileHost
    GApps 4.4.4 (RC6): Mediafire // AndroidFileHost
    Instructions

Recommendations/Requirements:
    - An hboot with at least 250mb on system. These include stock hboot or @jmcclue's 250/5/182 hboot.
    - A 512mb - 1.5gb EXT partition (EXT4 recommended) on your sdcard. Use this guide, and this guide only to create the partition. Partitions made using other tools (CWM, Minitool Partition Wizard, etc.) will likely cause issues.
    - The latest TWRP or 4EXT Recovery. Old versions of CWM may cause issues.
    - A somewhat decently functioning brain (optional)

Installation Steps:
    - Boot into recovery
    - Full wipe *
    - Flash ROM
    - Flash GApps
    - Reboot
    - Setup m2sd using the instructions below
    - Start Play Store to load setup for WiFi, Google account, etc.

* Full wipe includes system, data, cache, dalvik cache, .android_secure and sd-ext

Note: All keyboard languages except English have been removed in order to save space. (There are still many system languages though). If you want to use a language other than English on the keyboard, after completing the setup you can download and install the Google Keyboard which supports many languages.

Install Mounts2SD - Manual method:
    - Install Mounts2SD app through the play store
    - Open Mounts2SD > Menu > Application Settings > Install Startup Script
    - Click the wrench icon in Mounts2SD. Under the Content header: enable Applications, Libraries and Dalvik Cache. It should look like this when you are done.
    *Dont be confused by that fact that they seem to already seem to be checked. They are not. You must click on them so that the checkmark become green*
    *Grey checkmark = disabled. Green checkmark = enabled*
    - Reboot (might take a while)

OR

Install Mounts2SD - Easy method:
    - Flash this zip
    - Reboot (might take a while)

Optimized Settings and Tips:
    Settings > Developer options > Enable Force GPU rendering
    Settings > Beanstalk options > Beanstalk Init.d scripts > Clear cache
    Settings > Beanstalk options > Beanstalk Init.d scripts > Enable speedy modified (This may cause graphical issues. If it is bothering you disable this option)
    Settings > Beanstalk options > Beanstalk Init.d scripts > Enable loopy smoothness
    Don't make app drawer background transparent (instead it should be opaque for best performance)/
    Use Greenify to hibernate memory hungry apps that constantly run in the background.
    Flash Fly-On Mod script (Dont flash on RC5 or higher)
    Flash optimized dalvik libraries. (Not compatible with RC3 or higher)

Thanks to:
    @scott.hart.bti - the founder and lead developer of the ROM
    @LaidbackNikez and Evervolv - makers of the awesome qsd8k kernel that powers this ROM, as well as htc vendor files and bravo device tree
    @spezi77 - modified the bravo device trees for CM compatibility which saved me a lot of time and helped me fix a few other things
    @parkedraccoon - helped me fix a build error that wouldn't allow me to compile this ROM
    @tommypacker - for testing and porting to the Nexus One (at the same time)

Sources:
    https://github.com/scotthartbti/
    https://github.com/ItsPriyesh
    https://github.com/evervolv
    https://github.com/KitKatPurity
    More Screenshots:

RDyNze9.png
    ba2mniS.png

PELp9Ok.png
    owgqHm5.png

ksbNMf4.png
    AygAhsS.png

Update: Release 4

New download links for RC4 have been added to the OP. This build contains the latest Purity bionic optimizations and newest features merged from beanstalk including battery bar, status bar colors and fonts, and keyboard animations. There are also a few fixes in there. I have also removed ART from the build since it was useless on the desire anyways and caused my builds to take longer and the rom to be slightly bigger. In addition that, the rom is now using Adreno libs from the mako which should help GPU performance. Also thanks to spezi77, the torch bugs are now fixed. It will remain on even while the screen is off, and high brightness works properly. Finally, again thanks to some tips from spezi77, I was able to slim the system size of the rom down a bit more by moving some stuff to data.

Now onto installation: This release can be dirty flashed over 3.5! However, if you decide to dirty flash make sure that you flash this zip right after you flash RC4. The zip will restore m2sd and your previous configuration. If you dont flash this, you will run into issues. So make sure you flash it. Obviously, you dont have to dirty flash. Feel free to do a clean install if you desire, but I personally find it much easier to dirty flash and not lose my apps and settings. Also I found that after the first boot the rom was a bit laggy, so if you encounter this, let the phone settle down for a few minutes then reboot again.

This release will probably be the last one for a while since I'm going back to school next week and work is going to start to pile up.
    Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this week of updates :) Follow me on twitter
    Hi chromium,

could you please make a definitive statement about usb-otg masstorage working in your rom?
    (see post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54079673&postcount=1459)

thanks,
    schufti

I cant say for sure as I dont have an OTG cable to test with, but I'm almost certain that it does not work. USB OTG relies on a kernel patch which I have not included. If someone really wants, they could find the patch here, and then apply the changes to the latest Evervolv qsd8k kernel that is used in this ROM. Even then though, I cant guarantee that it'd work.

And as promised, download links for RC6 and new 4.4.4 GApps have been added to the OP (for now only mediafire, but AndroidFileHost mirrors will come later). In this build I updated to the latest Beanstalk sources (Android version 4.4.4) which has added a lot of new features like Hover, Heads up, and many others. Also I used that hacky workaround that I mentioned a week ago to attempt to fix the android.media.core crashing, and it seems to have worked. WiFi looks like its improved too, as well as general speed, and bootup time. In addition you no longer have to reboot in between flashing the rom and gapps. I've been testing for a day and it feels smooth and stable so far.

As some of you may have realized, I've gotten the Nexus 5 (which is awesome by the way) and my Desire is starting to show its age. So I think this will mark the end of my Desire ROM development. I'll probably be focusing more of my time on actual app development. Its been a fun couple of years using this phone and being part of this great community. Starting off as a completely clueless n00b but eventually picking up on some android knowledge. It really is an awesome group of users...very grateful, and not many whinny n00bs like you see in a lot of other device forums :p Anyways, thanks everyone for the support and goodbye :)