[LINK TO FIX][UPD 29AUG]Touchscreen Not Responsive

I have a problem with touchscreen

• Total voters
Search This thread

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
It's something else we were talking about in another thread.
what exact problems are you speaking of? I'm on my 3rd (no returns or anything like that) sensation and loving it.
first one did have the unresponsive screen "issues" due to the type of usb cable i was using. once original htc cable was used, all the problems went away.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using XDA App

kumprise

Oct 12, 2010
Sochi
Well, if I may, call problems. Or problem, if it's one.
First stint, Gingerbread 2.3. Friend tells me he cannot hear me loud enough. New RADIO appears. Call sound is louder, but not all calls can be answered. Some of them are plain bzzz - happens if I run to answer, from locked screen, once in say 10 times, but bothers me nevertheless, I get a lot of calls, using my phone at work. Then, On GB and ICS - I say hallo, silence. Then, question: Where is your "hello"? I did say hello as soon as I heard him - but too early. Need to repeat. With death grip, and problem discussed on this thread, which are completely unrelated to what I just explained, it's a LOT of problems for one phone - at least, for me.
I've read whole of this thread last night, all 120+pages of it. You people have been to hell and back. I congratulate U all on persistence and, finally, on solving the issue - I'm betting the tin foil does the trick for most of this cases, though it's clear not for 100% of them. I'll repeat, I'm happy I did not met this bastard issue, tho I use standard Sensation charger most of the time (combined with USB, at work, often), and I do use cheap sillicone case. If I do, however, I'll know what to do. Thanks for your time.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Wow, you just made all the time spent on this thread even more worthwhile than it was. To read all these pages..... Wow. :)
Well, if I may, call problems. Or problem, if it's one.
First stint, Gingerbread 2.3. Friend tells me he cannot hear me loud enough. New RADIO appears. Call sound is louder, but not all calls can be answered. Some of them are plain bzzz - happens if I run to answer, from locked screen, once in say 10 times, but bothers me nevertheless, I get a lot of calls, using my phone at work. Then, On GB and ICS - I say hallo, silence. Then, question: Where is your "hello"? I did say hello as soon as I heard him - but too early. Need to repeat. With death grip, and problem discussed on this thread, which are completely unrelated to what I just explained, it's a LOT of problems for one phone - at least, for me.
I've read whole of this thread last night, all 120+pages of it. You people have been to hell and back. I congratulate U all on persistence and, finally, on solving the issue - I'm betting the tin foil does the trick for most of this cases, though it's clear not for 100% of them. I'll repeat, I'm happy I did not met this bastard issue, tho I use standard Sensation charger most of the time (combined with USB, at work, often), and I do use cheap sillicone case. If I do, however, I'll know what to do. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

kumprise

Oct 12, 2010
Sochi
Wow, you just made all the time spent on this thread even more worthwhile than it was. To read all these pages..... Wow. :)

It was like a good movie, with happy end. Excellent thread. I promised my wife I'll be back home by 10, but got there around midnight (lied bout some problem at work)... really good stuff. Got me thinking about htc. Large business like any other, they sell you crap, call it flag, and then ignore your problems (well, in some cases here). Yes I do understand it's great in design, but what about real deal?
And the guy (stuart? sorry I'm lousy with names) who got 6 (!!!) of them and they were ALL faulty - if this WAS a movie, no director would allow for such a scenario. 3, OK, 4, maybe max. 5 no. 6? get outta here...
We're miles off topic, already, rant over. Thanks again.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Nothing wrong with a bit of ot. Stuart is still around, I've seen him on some threads, poor guy.

BTW, if you want to look into similar situation, look up Asus Transformer Prime GPS problem.... Asus fix? Remove GPS from specs. But, and very big BUT, they acknowledged the problem, unlike HTC.
It was like a good movie, with happy end. Excellent thread. I promised my wife I'll be back home by 10, but got there around midnight (lied bout some problem at work)... really good stuff. Got me thinking about htc. Large business like any other, they sell you crap, call it flag, and then ignore your problems (well, in some cases here). Yes I do understand it's great in design, but what about real deal?
And the guy (stuart? sorry I'm lousy with names) who got 6 (!!!) of them and they were ALL faulty - if this WAS a movie, no director would allow for such a scenario. 3, OK, 4, maybe max. 5 no. 6? get outta here...

kumprise

Oct 12, 2010
Sochi
We live in wild years, using Android I mean. New hardware, strong competition, multitude of new, improved, even stronger, even thinner, ever more untested devices, every week. Add "small, but persistent group" (htc quotation, from their "all right we'll unlock your bootloaders, you brats" PSA) to equation - riots ensues.

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
has anyone ever had/heard of a 100% working device, especially nowadays? look into any forum, and you'll have people not happy with their device. If it's still under warranty, return it. Got it used? too bad. I do see what you're saying though. Hopefully an offical update will be able to help your particular situation.

zmfl

Jun 29, 2011
If only more people had your patience :D
As the grandfather said, you just made all this even more worth it :)

07xHSVxGTS

Jan 13, 2012
same problem and water looking marks

HT15JV - no touchscreen or lockscreen issues so far

Only real bug is that non HTC widgets sometimes get flickering rainbow coloured stripes but they are strictly attached to the widget and vanish once I replace the it. So this should not be a display problem especially as the HTC widgets are never afflicted.

I wasn't sure how it happened or how I was going to stop it but ill try what you said and reply hopefully it works coz I really don't want to replace it or anything also my screen has some sort of water marks on the bottom half but can't get rid of it and its on the outside I can wipe it of with a screen cleaner but it comes back exactly the same anyone have that happen to them yet and if you got rid of it can you tell me how. Thx if someone can help.

Riel

Mar 1, 2006
Born
www.zzapps.nl
Touch screen - software issue probably?

I have replaced my digitizer, and I get a strange issue.

When I use the Touch Test app, I can see where and when I press the screen.

This is helpful to see what the touchscreen is registering.

But, I can draw a line for about 2 seconds, then it looses input and starts drawing a new line for 2 seconds, it looses, new line etc etc.

When swiping inside these 2 seconds, you just click somewhere. You cannot hold the sscreen.

Known issue?

Using RCMix 7.0 3.5 gingerbread.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
I have replaced my digitizer, and I get a strange issue.

When I use the Touch Test app, I can see where and when I press the screen.

This is helpful to see what the touchscreen is registering.

But, I can draw a line for about 2 seconds, then it looses input and starts drawing a new line for 2 seconds, it looses, new line etc etc.

When swiping inside these 2 seconds, you just click somewhere. You cannot hold the sscreen.

Known issue?

Using RCMix 7.0 3.5 gingerbread.

it does sound like static issue. Try fixes for a while.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

fulgerul

Dec 11, 2007
Hi!

My Sensation is dealing with the same touchscreen problems (stopped working at all, cannot unlock the device).

So far, i've tried:

1. Pulling the clip out - no luck
2. Charging it overnight with genuine HTC TC-205 charger - no luck
3. Applying copper foil - no luck

It is true that at point 2 i forgot to discharge the battery, but are there any tricks left?

... or should I change the touchscreen on the device (no warranty, its a second hand unit)

Thanks in advance!

exb0

Oct 24, 2010
PNW
freshair.farm
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Hi!

My Sensation is dealing with the same touchscreen problems (stopped working at all, cannot unlock the device).

So far, i've tried:

1. Pulling the clip out - no luck
2. Charging it overnight with genuine HTC TC-205 charger - no luck
3. Applying copper foil - no luck

It is true that at point 2 i forgot to discharge the battery, but are there any tricks left?

... or should I change the touchscreen on the device (no warranty, its a second hand unit)

Thanks in advance!

try flashing a rom. It fixed my problems

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

AboulSAM

Jan 22, 2012
brand new

just bought the device and turned it on, i cant unlock my sim card with four zeros. The touch screen inst responding at all. Is their a solution, couldn't play with it at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Issues with touchscreen being unresponsive.

Important Isuue usually appears at least after a week of owning the device
    Quick test:
    Lock device. Unlock, launch camera app in the lockscreen, take picture, try pressing back button, see if it responds straight away or with a delay. Test it with all apps on lockscreen.
    Issue unlocking ? I.e dragging circle to the middle?
    Bottom of a screen not responsive sometimes.
    Back button slow to respond.
    Apps launching when you try to change screen, i.e. phone registers swipe as a press.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06/06/is-your-htc-sensation-having-touchscreen-problems/

CAUSE Grounding pin not touching back cover, which causes (by the looks of it) build up of static which messes up touch screen.
    FIX Best to use in conjunction with fixes below.

POSSIBLE FIXes if above doesn't work, which it should, but don't expect immidiate results.
    1.Shut down phone and pull battery out for at least an hour (i recommend overnight). Press power button as to turn phone on, which in theory should discharge all the left over current in the hardware.
    Give it a go and let me know if it works.
    2.Letting battery discharge till phone turns off,put on charge and don't touch it till it's full.

I want to thank abrown0809, eliteone, stuart0001(legendary patience :) ), zmfl, maschenazi, nugzo and all other people i forgot to mention for sticking with me while trying to work out FIX. Thanks to all the posters too.
    I take NO credit for the fix. :)

Poll is here to show how many people have this problem to HTC, not to work out what percentage of users have it, as it will definitely be incorrect.
    Vote yes if you EVER experienced touchscreen problems, even if its gone now.

PETITION for HTC to admit that there is touch screen problem.
    All info below:

Below is the worldwide support address. There are also country specific contact pages but I'd suggest we all contact the same place so they can't keep saying they're getting no reports.:

http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email-us/

Might be worth at least including the link below which demonstrates our issue perfectly
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06/06/is-your-htc-sensation-having-touchscreen-problems/

I've also started a pertition here:
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/htcsensationtouchscreenproblem/

Feel free to comment, sign & distribute as you wish :)
    Theory busted. A lot of us have problem without screen protector on.
    Hi guys,

It turned out that taking the screen protector out didn't solve the problem entirely. So I had two problems at the same time. First - the original HTC screen protector got stiff after sun exposure so it was completely unresponsive and second - my screen became to be unresponsive as well (most likely because of AC charger & car charger issue - see below). After I took the screen protector out it was better, but I still had several problems, but not that often as before:
    1) I could not drag the lock ring to the middle of the screen, it was not following my finger very often - very annoying
    2) Apps started from within the lock screen had some problems, for example back button was not always working, camera couldn't run recording (red spot was unresponsive etc.). Basically bottom of the screen was unresponsive. After ~10secs it started to work.

From unknown reason all problems disappeared after some time. I was then using USB charger only, because I read that original AC charger can be the source of the problem. Then on Friday I got to use my car charger and after 4 hours it all started again ! I tried several solutions mentioned in the first post, but it didn't help. Then while my daughter was playing in the playground I took out the back cover, held the phone with my palm (see picture below) and played with the touch screen for few seconds. Then all my problems disappeared ! Instantly ! It started to be responsive again ! Then I realized that I did it before and it presumably solved the problem before. So I did quick exercise to prove my assumptions - I used my regular HTC Sensation AC charger. After around 4 hours it started to be unresponsive again. I took out the back cover while the phone was running, put the phone in my palm and played with it for some time - all problems disappeared again ! So maybe it is finally some fix for this issue ? At least it works for me. So basically I can confirm that:
    1) something is ****ed up with original HTC AC charger & HTC car charger or more - the way phone is charged with them
    2) something is ****ed up with the back cover

Taking out the back cover (without turning the phone off), putting your phone into your palm and playing with the touchscreen for a while should solve the problem. You can put your back cover now again and it should still work. Let me know it if helps you or not.

Regards,

misiek_to_ja

20hrsde.jpg
    The metal contact might be it...

I noticed if you touch the silver metal contact with your finger as you have the back cover off, the performance of the touchscreen increases. This is what I am talking about.

IMG_0048.jpg

Here is what I believe to be the problem, correct me if I am wrong. That metal contact is meant to ground the phone and it is not working properly or maybe since most of us use rubber or plastic cases, we block that from happening. Since the static has no where to go it just builds up on the phone, and in turn messing up our touch commands. Capacitive touch screens work because our body is a conductor. The screen is coated with a transparent conductor, so it makes sense that static would mess things up. I forgot who but someone said earlier that they charged the phone on a metallic surface and the problem went away, charged it on wood and the problem came back. I study electrical engineering, but I am still a student and I could be wrong but its a start.....right :)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1206188

Worked for me....so far...the results were immediate

Good luck
    I have the device for 3 weeks now. Never had any issues. Tried all the tests stated in OP and everything works flawlessly. This have to be hardware related as not all the devices with the same software version have these issues. Do your self a favor and ask for a replacement. I know how frustrating these issues can be :)