[EC09][MODEM][ODIN] EC09 Radio/Modem for Odin

How is EC09 compared to ED04 (modem-wise)?

• EC09 is better!

Votes: 116 38.7%
  • They are about the same.

Votes: 28 9.3%
  • ED04 is better!

Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 137 45.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Headcase8911

Dec 2, 2010
Working just fine for me on Comm ROM 2.0. 3G data speeds are better and cell signal strength is better by anywhere from 5 to 10 dBm.

Hey shark or jp, sorry if it's been asked but will this remove my existing rom or can I push the radio with odin and go right back to normal w/o flashing a new rom.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Premium App

RogueGeek

Oct 26, 2010
Seeing a minor increase in speeds. Signal strength remained the same.
Tomorrow I will test how it does in my office (aka the biggest dead zone that isn't a Faraday cage)
Tests run with phone in the same place.

ED03
Signal Avg -72dBm

Speed Test 1
Ping 104ms
DL 1142 / UL 769

Speed Test 2
Ping 88ms
DL 928 / UL 855

------------------

EC09
Signal Avg -71dBm

Speed Test 1
Ping 110ms
DL 1507 / UL 909

Speed Test 2
Ping 81ms
DL 1449 / UL 890

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Hey shark or jp, sorry if it's been asked but will this remove my existing rom or can I push the radio with odin and go right back to normal w/o flashing a new rom.

You can always flash a new modem in ODIN without it changing your ROM. I simply flashed the modem in ODIN and continued on - business as usual.

prehistorical

Mar 11, 2011
Just installed on my phone to see if would help on the missed calls:(
Did the *228-1 and *228-2 let phone reboot and go to sleep. Called from
my from home phone and the fasc. just sat there until it went to voice mail.

The family is asking me why I keep calling myself :D Glad to hear I'm not the only one testing this way! I also call when the phone is busy with trying to establish a GPS/aGPS lock.

I found that for my phone, the EC09 modem performed better than any of the EDxx radios (ED04 being the worst). However, EA28 still had the least missed calls as far as I can tell (n=1). YMMV.

Link to jazzyjames discussion:
"Interesting GPS find"
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1106868

Link to Comradesven's thread:
"[MODEM][ODIN][CWM]DL09, EA28, ED01, ED03, ED04 modems without ridiculous 100MB OTAs"
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1097355

Link to JPTech7's thread:
"[EC09][MODEM][ODIN] EC09 Radio/Modem for Odin"
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1132236

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
PING is a measure of network latency. If ping times are high it's a verizon or some where else in the network route issue. Latency is highly variable but all are things outside our control unless somewhere in some config file we can change name servers.

So unless you send 100 ping tests from each radio at the same time you are going to have a tough time convincing me that the radio is shortening your ping times. Hell there is nothing to say that two pings sent at the same time to the same destination will take the same route or hit the same server
because of things like load balancing. If the radio helps/hurts it's in a time frame of single digit milliseconds or less.

jptech7

Basically... There are four independent yet interconnected parts to the phone: kernel, ROM, recovery, and modem. Technically, you can change any of them separately, but of course certain configurations of the four won't work, however, I haven't ever had a modem that didn't work on Froyo (don't know about DH, DI, or DJ though...).

playnwfire13

May 28, 2011
Does anyone know any reason why froyo based themes might note work with this radio? I was under the impression that rado operated independently from roms. I asked about compadability on the high voltage forum and they say that it's a gb based radio.
Is this true?
This radio isa working great but i'm dying to flash a new theme.

rand4ll

Jan 16, 2011
Does anyone know any reason why froyo based themes might note work with this radio? I was under the impression that rado operated independently from roms. I asked about compadability on the high voltage forum and they say that it's a gb based radio.
Is this true?
This radio isa working great but i'm dying to flash a new theme.

The theme won't interfere, you are safe to flash themes

justinjbaron

Oct 10, 2010
my experience with this modem is that battery life, 3g/1g cutover, and overall reception are worse than with ED04. not to say people shouldn't try by any means, but unfortunately it didn't turn out to be magical for me. im in southern nh and spend a good bit of time in areas that are at the edge of 3g service.

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
after a day...

well been using this modem for a day....signal and speed jumps wildly...I watch as it goes from full bars to 1...to 3 etc..data jumps from 60kBs to 200kBs..ping around 150ms...battery seems to being going faster as well..

Not sure what to say really..better at times, but unstable...EC01 and ED04 was at least consistent...in my bedroom, I was getting 1 to 2 bars consistently, with EC09, it jumps wildly between 4 bars and 1...either this modem is more sensitive in its reception to changing signal, or there is something screwy in how it reports it signal...anyone else experience similar to mine?

EDIT: Ok...so I just noticed had a friend call my home phone telling me my cell goes right to voicemail...so I called my cell, sure enough..right to voicemail...the phone was on and i can surf the web just fine, but couldn't make or receive calls or texts..I rebooted and everything is fine...the phone was only sitting for a few hours...thought I had gotten rid of that problem...anyone hammer out what causes this missed call/ phone not ringing problem?

Last edited:

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
Opinions are mixed about this radio. I personally think that if you aren't having an issue with ED04 then stick with that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-JP Tech

on ec09, the ec09 radio is fantastic, better signal, faster data speeds on 3g...on froyo it seems to be a tad better than ec01/ed04 for me in limited experience day, but id need more time with it to really see

Reactions: gepaut85

Headcase8911

Dec 2, 2010
Hey JP, how much trouble would it be to make similar odin files for ed01/ed04 radios? Switching to ec09 was nice and easy but if I wish to go back to ed04 it is a little more involved.............unless I'm missing something.

prehistorical

Mar 11, 2011
EDIT: Ok...so I just noticed had a friend call my home phone telling me my cell goes right to voicemail...so I called my cell, sure enough..right to voicemail...the phone was on and i can surf the web just fine, but couldn't make or receive calls or texts..I rebooted and everything is fine...the phone was only sitting for a few hours...thought I had gotten rid of that problem...anyone hammer out what causes this missed call/ phone not ringing problem?

There has been some discussion here and there about using Softlocker (same one recommended for CM7 and also for the NookColor) to prevent the phone from going into deep sleep, at the expense of battery drain.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15117452#post15117452

I didn't have too much luck with it even with other modems. VM notification seems to tbe the only way I know I missed calls, if a VM was left. takes about 10 secs to ding.

Open to other recommendations. I was hoping that GB would make things better, like it did for my NC.

jptech7

Hey JP, how much trouble would it be to make similar odin files for ed01/ed04 radios? Switching to ec09 was nice and easy but if I wish to go back to ed04 it is a little more involved.............unless I'm missing something.
Getting the ED04 modem is the $500 question (literally, there was a thread with a $500 reward). So... if I could do it, then I would have already made $500. Basically, I can't extract the ED04 modem because it isn't stored in bml12 like other SGS phones. I tried and failed via that method. The only way we can get modems is if they are leaks. OTAs like ED04 = no modem ODIN for us. Leaks like EB01 and EC09 are much easier to get the modem from as we have the entire system in a .tar file.

sfobrien

Apr 10, 2011
Indiana
Been using it for several days now and it does work better than others I've tried. At first I didn't see alot of difference than ED01 I was using but over last couple days it seems to have settled in (if thats possible) and I'm going to keep it until something better comes along.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

This is just the modem (radio) file for ODIN. This way you can download this modem separate from the all-in-one ODIN. At this time, I would recommend this modem, but I would NOT recommend the EC09 ROM as it is buggy.

To extract this file, you will need 7zip. It is one of the best zip/LZMA/tar programs for Windows. http://www.7-zip.org/

Instructions
    1. Download 7zip from the link: http://www.7-zip.org/
    2. Download ODIN if you haven't. http://adrynalyne.us/files/odin/Odin3v1.3.exe
    3. Download the package below, and extract it with 7zip.
    4. Open ODIN, and connect your device with the battery out while holding the volume down key.
    5. Click PDA, and select the .tar.md5 file you extracted.
    6. Click Start, and it should flash to your phone.
    7. Put battery back in, and {optional} via Clockwork Mod flash NAMELESS v4 or whatever custom TW Gingerbread ROM you wish! jt1134's CM7, andmer's MIUI, or your ROM of choice.

MD5
    ec09-modem.tar.md5.7z = 5ffd2b3ce243948493de400c61230435

Thanks to...
    P3Droid for the EC09 Gingerbread Leak
    vegittoss15 for pointing out that my checksum was screwed up

Thanks in general to...
    Adrynalyne
    nemesis2all
    jt1134
    imnuts
    TSM (sbrissen)
    navenedrob
    and the other devs & irc crew

UPDATE: I added a poll on what you think about EC09's modem.

UPDATE 2: It is recommended to use this modem when running jt1134's CM7 (and I assume andmer's MIUI). Certain things will either not work or not be stable if you use ED-series modems on CM7 mtd due to jt using parts of EC09.

Happy Flashing,
    JP Tech
    I switched to EC09 and I noticed a significant difference in signal as well as battery, both for the better! Still have the low in-call volume issue but I think it helped out a tad? Or perhaps placebo effect, I dunno?
    Anyway, I suppose I'll stick with it until something else is addressed through Glitch kernal!?!? Or unless anyone has any ideas?

The EC09 modem shouldn't be the cause of in-call volume change. That is due to our current version of AOSP. The modem does, however, make a difference in the signal department, and the majority of people that I've talked to like the EC09 modem better than ED-series modems. At the moment, I'm running MIUI with EC09 modem and Glitch (medium leakage) as the kernel with an overclock to 1.2Ghz & undervolt on all clocks. It works great for me, and it is super smooth.

Offtopic: This is my 100th post!
    I don't have an old phone. I called Verizon and told them to do an ESN swap and they gave me the -dog who had his food changed- look. Said it was impossible to swap an ESN because it was tied to the specific phone. Thanks for the input regardless.

You are changing the device registered to your account.. .not the actual ESN of the phone...swapping phones on your account changes the ESN registered to your account , re-activating it resets it in Verizon's database...

You have to talk to level 2 support(or whatever they call it)..but it all depends on who you get...most of the time they screw you over...tell them you have read on-line and have a legit/documented problem and insist they do an ESN swap(also called a DMU reset)...They DO have the capability of activating a dummy or test device to your account, then re-activating your phone..I know..because I had this done!!!...took about 6 different calls to tec support till I finally got someone to admit to it and to do it and guess what? It worked!...had no more problems..

If getting Verizon to help you won't work, then the only other options I see are:

Find an old Verizon phone for dirt cheap or ask a friend or something for one...

Complain to Verizon enough that the phone you have is defective and have it replaced...a replacement phone(even same model) will have a different ESN.

You can try to de-activate the phone you have..wait an hour or two...then re-activate it..that may work...

This story plays out many times in the threads I mentioned in previous post..

Hope things work out..

EDIT: Be ware!! As of July 7, Verizon has changed to tiered data plans...if call Verizon to do an ESN swap or DMU reset, you will lose your unlimited data plan, as this process removes the smartphone from the line. Also, if you activate a standard or feature phone temporarily, then re-activate your smartphone, you will also loose the unlimited data and be stuck paying $30 for 2gb. You have to use another smartphone ESN to do the swap...basically a smartphone always has to be on your line in order to keep your unlimited plan. Call Verizon if you have any question or concerns about how to keep your unlimited data.
    No problem, I'm just giving back to the community!
    Hi all,

Does anybody have a non-7z version of the EC09 radio? My computer is not letting me install 7z utility.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA

Here is a link for all the modems I have. They're zipped together, but it's regular zip format so you should be able to unzip it.

http://db.tt/p1KFrI1b

~~~~There is no spoon~~~~