[HowTo] Archos gen8 firmware 2.3.81-2.4.83+rw iptables and 1GB ext4 data

Search This thread

misters

Jun 30, 2007
No help from me, sorry. Just want to mention that poster #36 had the same problem and could only solve it by using Linux.

yes i am the guy from post 36 and i confirm i spent so much time to try under windows for nothing... the problem is the partitionning process under windows does NOT work. You can try to do it with the linux live cd GPARTED and do the rest under windows SHOULD work.

++

rocky58

Dec 13, 2009
Turin
Hi WhoDunnit,
I tried Chulri method to rooting my A101IT, all worked fine. Then I tried to create an ext4 partition to host /data as you explained in this forum. My Archos didn't boot, so I reinstalled original ARCHOS firmware v. 2.4.19 and now all is ok, but I can't root (using Chulri method!) my tablet anymore. I follow all steps and when I must reboot after flashing rooted kernel my A101IT remains in tha Archos animated logo screen.
Have you some trick that help me to solve my problem?

Thanks,
Rocco

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Did you install my kernel and initramfs, as posted in this thread? How did you make the ext4 partition (Windows, Linux)?

Have you tried reformatting and starting from scratch: Install SDE, firmware, etc.

Hi WhoDunnit,
I tried Chulri method to rooting my A101IT, all worked fine. Then I tried to create an ext4 partition to host /data as you explained in this forum. My Archos didn't boot, so I reinstalled original ARCHOS firmware v. 2.4.19 and now all is ok, but I can't root (using Chulri method!) my tablet anymore. I follow all steps and when I must reboot after flashing rooted kernel my A101IT remains in tha Archos animated logo screen.
Have you some trick that help me to solve my problem?

Thanks,
Rocco

rocky58

Dec 13, 2009
Turin
Did you install my kernel and initramfs as posted in this thread?
Yes, I did

How did you make the ext4 partition (Windows, Linux)?
I use only Linux

Have you tried reformatting and starting from scratch: Install SDE, firmware, etc.
Really not reinstalled SDE but I'm started from firmware reinstalling...
Do you think I must reinstall SDE also?

Thanks
Rocco

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Really not reinstalled SDE but I'm started from firmware reinstalling...
Do you think I must reinstall SDE also?

Thanks
Rocco

Should not be necessary, just trying to limit the options. First step is to get you a working rooted gen8. That's why I suggest to really totally start from scratch. You've got nothing to loose since it's not working now.

Reactions: rocky58

rocky58

Dec 13, 2009
Turin
ok WhoDunnit, I'll try.

UPDATE
Nothing to do....
I followed all steps and when I must reboot after flashing rooted kernel my A101IT remains in the Archos animated logo screen. It seems that boot well but after 1 sec it returns to the Archos animated logo screen.

I don't know....

UPDATE2
I discovered that I can't boot using SDE firmware...It seems that boot well but after 1 sec it returns to the Archos animated logo screen.
When I try to update 2.4.19 firmware I got this message: Update failed: (214).

Any idea???

Thanks
Rocco

Last edited:

jackson0829

Dec 7, 2010
Taipei
I am waiting your update of Archos gen8 firmware 2.4.65+rw iptables and 1GB ext4 data which just come out as beneath:

------------------------------------------------------

Version 2.4.65 - October 20th, 2011

Internationalization: add Korean translations support
Video: improve SMI subtitle support and provide better subtitle codepage/encoding detection
Applications: increase reactivity of applications constantly updating sound volume without any change in value (e.g. fruit ninja)
A101 accessory: add support for Archos 3G key
A101 accessory: add support for some USB Ethernet adapters (chipsets: RTL8150, ASIX AX88xxx, Davicom DM9601, SMSC LAN75xx, SMSC LAN95xx, NetChip 1080, MosChip MCS7830)
A70 hard drive based devices: fix unit loosing mass storage happening sometimes on recent models
Accelerometer: apply calibration right away without requiring a reboot to take effect
PTP: fix USB host camera support

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
That doesn't sound too promising. At this stage I can only advise you to do whatever you can to get the device booting in SDE again. So start from scratch: remove the extra ext3/4 partions made and format the discs using the recovery menu, remove SDE, and then install again using Chulri's method from the start. At the moment forget about ext4 until you get your system up-and-running. I can also advise to try UrukDroid to get your system running if the above mentioned method failed (just try it to get the system running, you don't have to stay with Uruk if you don't want to).

ok WhoDunnit, I'll try.

UPDATE2
I discovered that I can't boot using SDE firmware...It seems that boot well but after 1 sec it returns to the Archos animated logo screen.
When I try to update 2.4.19 firmware I got this message: Update failed: (214).

Any idea???

Thanks
Rocco

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Is it just me or is the UI messed up in 2.4.65? I lost my battery and wifi notification bar icons and the tabs in applications are all orange. Anyone else experienced this?

update: OK, my fault, I messed with the framework-res.apk. Removing it in union-fs solved it.

Last edited:

misters

Jun 30, 2007
I've requested for the updated kernel sources. As soon as I get them, the kernel will be updated.

hello,

do you have anu news about the kernel sources ?
Could you please update your work with the latest firmware 2.4.81 from 6 december (a newest update since 2.4.65 & 2.4.80)
because this one solve the battery use problem.

Best Regards

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Kernel sources for 2.4.80 were never update as far as I know, but here is your requested 2.4.81. Although I have to admit, I did not test it yet, so please report back.

Edit: ok tested and validated it myself now. This version seems more responsive than the previous firmware, so I definitely recommend this update.
hello,

do you have anu news about the kernel sources ?
Could you please update your work with the latest firmware 2.4.81 from 6 december (a newest update since 2.4.65 & 2.4.80)
because this one solve the battery use problem.

Best Regards

Last edited:

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Thanks for the heads up chulri! I had my stuff already compiled, but I was waiting for your new initramfs file. I just read your post on how to get it myself, so I cannot use that as an excuse for late compiles in the future! So sorry to hear you're quitting archos; but I fully understand.

chrulri

Dec 7, 2010
Well I found someone who does my work, initramfs already ready for being downloaded :) keep up the good work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just wanted my Archos Gen8 to have the latest stock firmware, root access, iptables support (for Droidwall) and a 1GB ext4 data partition. I will show you how to create this setup yourself. This howto describes all steps for a Linux PC with a working adb connection to the Archos Gen8. I am sure all steps can be done from a Windows PC too, but I cannot help you there: I only speak linux. [edit: Harfainx has written a thread on http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=54637 that explains how to do these steps on windows; if you to do this from windows and have iptables and ext4, use my attached kernel and ext4 modifications instead of Harfainx' suggested chulri kernel]

[Archos] = do on tablet
    [Linux] = do on PC
    [Shell] = do in a terminal on PC
    [ADB] = do in a adb shell from PC
    [GParted] = do in gparted in PC
    [Editor] = do in your favorite text editor on PC

All credits for this procedure go to other people (see end of this post); my only contribution is this write up, and the compilation of the new kernel.

1. Use chulri's root method to obtain root+rw with the latest Archos firmware on your Archos Gen8 (download the proper firmware version, and take care to rename the downloaded firmware file to firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos).

2. Install the matching version of my kernel + initramfs (see links below)
    • reboot Archos device and hold down "Vol-" button after screen went black
    • Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Developer Edition Menu"
    • choose "Flash Kernel and Initramfs"
    • connect your Archos device by USB to your computer
    • upload zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz to your device
    • safely disconnect the USB connection
    • press ok on Archos device
    • reboot

3. Repartition your internal SD card
    • reboot Archos device and hold down "Vol-" button after screen went black
    • Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Repair system” ->"Start USB MSC"
    • Connect tablet to your linux pc
    • Resize interal SD card and add an ext4 partition:
      • [Shell] sudo gparted
      • [GParted] find Archos device. For me it is found on /dev/sdc
      • [GParted] select the Archos partition and resize to have 1024MiB at the end left
      • [GParted] create a new primary partion using all the space you just created, filesystem ext4 and align to MiB
      • [GParted] apply all selected actions, let it finish and quit gparted.
    • unplug and reconnect your device so Linux finds it again.
    • Format the ext4 partition with some nice settings (if your device was on /dev/sdb replace /dev/sdc2 with /dev/sdb2 below):
      • [Shell] sudo mkfs.ext4 -b 4096 -E stride=64,stripe-width=64 -O extent,^huge_file -m 0 -L data /dev/sdc2
      • [Shell] sudo tune2fs -c -1 -i 0 -m 1 -O ^huge_file -o journal_data_writeback /dev/sdc2
      • [Shell] sudo e2fsck /dev/sdc2
    • press ok on Archos device
    • reboot

4. Make your new ext4 partition your /data partition
    • Boot up your Archos and proceed through the startup wizard; do not put too much effort in this because all information you enter now will be lost after this step.
    • Open options->applications and enable debugging support.
    • Connect the Archos to your linux PC
    • [Shell] adb shell
    • [ADB] su; stop; cp /init.rc /sdcard/
    • [Shell] adb pull /sdcard/init.rc
    • Modify init.rc:
      • [Editor] Open the just downloaded init.rc
      • [Editor] Replace the "mount ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /data noatime nosuid" with "mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /data rw noatime nosuid nodev barrier=0 data=writeback nobh"
      • [Editor] save file and close
    • [Shell] adb push init.rc /sdcard/
    • [ADB] cp /sdcard/init.rc /init.rc
    • [ADB] start
    • reboot

5. Now your device should start up and use your new ext4 partition as /data. In my case after reboot I had to force another reboot (hold on/off for 10sec) for the system to properly boot and come up with the Archos startup wizard again (the previous startup’s data is lost because we have a new /data partition).

6. Enjoy!

All credits for this procedure go to other people; my only contribution is this write up, and the compilation of the new kernel.

Rooting method: chulri
    1GB data partition: chulri and wdl1908
    Ext4 format flags: Sibere
    Proper compilation of iptables and ext4: $aur0n and woti23
    Howto compile the kernel yourself

Compiling this kernel yourself is not very hard.
    1. Set-up chulri's development enviroment
    2. Configure the new kernel
    • [Shell] cd $ARCHOS
    • [Shell] make kernel-config
    • [Config] In Networking support -> Networking options -> Network packet filtering framework (Netfilter)
      • Core Netfilter Configuration -> Netfilter Xtables support: y; Xtables -> "owner" match support: y
      • IP: Netfilter Configuration -> IP tables support: y; Packet filtering: y; REJECT target support: y; LOG target support: y
    • [Config] In Filesystems
      • The Extended 4 (ext4) filesystem: y
      • Ext4 extended attributes: y
    • [Config] save changes and exit
    • [Shell] make kernel-build

After compilation, locate your kernel zImage and flash it together with chulri's initramfs.cpio.gz (which is also provided in the zip in the first post).
    Recommendations to speed up your tablet

Now that you have your Archos Gen8 as you want it, I can recommend two additions to speed up your system.

1. You now have a fast, big ext4 data partition which you should use for all applications:
    • [Shell] adb shell pm setInstallLocation 1
    2. Replace the default Launcher *ANY* launcher but the Archos one. Personally I recommend the Zeam launcher, since it is really lightweight:
    • Get your copy of zeam, install it, press "home" button and make it default to zeam.
    • [ADB] su; cd /system/app; mv Launcher2.apk Launcher2.apknot
      The last step makes sure that the Archos launcher does not startup anymore, saving your memory. The last steps also removes the default Archos wallpapers, so make a copy of the one you want or get some nice new ones.

Since the device setup of this thread uses unionfs to make changes to the /system, you could also just remove /system/app/Launcher2.apk. To restore it you can remove /mnt/system/unionfs/system/app/.wh.Launcher2.apk. (Thanks to skeeterfood for pointing it out.)
    Kernel updated to firmware version 2.4.83. See first post.
    I've requested for the updated kernel sources. As soon as I get them, the kernel will be updated.

Hi WhoDunnit

Any chance of a firmware version for 2.4.80

Regards

Milton (aka Set_The_Tone)