New Firmware downloading now..

Search This thread

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
I am still stuck on 8.8.3.27 firmware. When I got to settings/about device/check updates it says there is no firmware available for this device. I know a few of you had this same question and it was never really answered. Is there a setting that is not allowing the firmware to be seeN? I haven't even been able to update to 8.8.3.29.

where are you located?

the 33 update might just be for US sku's...

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
So the moral of the story is not to do any updates unless you have a full battery?

ThrasherSC2K2

Sep 27, 2007
So the moral of the story is not to do any updates unless you have a full battery?

No, that's the thing. My Batterie was fully charged before I updated. I probably was one of the first to do so after I got up in the morning and unplugging it from the AC. (Freshly rebooted too)

It seems to be somewhat random to why this happens. I've noticed some that didn't brick applied the camera update first, but I can't imagine that made the difference.

I've also noticed that after the updated and by partially unbricking the TF2 I have noticed some of my apps behaving really strange, namely: PlaeyerPro (would force close) and google Maps.
So I wonder if it has something to do with the apps, you have installed and them possibly interfering with the update process.

I am rooted, but this affected enough non-rooted tabs to rule that one out too.

The morale is: I don't trust Asus to handle any of my updates (my Asus Laptop bricked after one of their official Bios updates as well.. :p)..

Ciddy

Nov 15, 2008
So far no update for DE (german) SKUs, they have 6 1/2 hrs left to go live on Jan. 3rd... They might be looking into the reliability issues of their OTA procedure.

It seems they ARE getting a lot of heat on GPS and the bootloader. Very curious how this turns out.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Translated by someone, not me:

ASUS Taiwan just released an official statement, which covers some aspects we would really love to know:
1) ICS will be pushed to devices around the world on Jan 12th (woot!)
2) GPS problem is mainly due to the aluminium backplate on the device. they won't be able to do much about it, that's why they removed the GPS from the specs on various sites to avoid causing any misunderstandings among users.
3) BOOTLOADER: they won't unlock the bootloader, and the purpose of locked bootloader is to support media renting service on the device and its stability. BUT, they are working on releasing a bootloader unlocking tool for those users who would like to unlock it. however, the use of this unlocker tool wil void the warranty immediately.

source: https://www.facebook.com/asusclub.tw

Worst thing is they keep the bootloader locked to maintain DRM - will they ever learn?

Last edited:

ngrover

Jan 3, 2012
Mine is BRICKED. Not sort-of / kind-of bricked. But bricked bricked. Like, no sign of life whatsoever. Like, you can't even tell that there is anything electronic about this lump of glass and metal. I was not rooted and didn't even "mess around" with anything before the "update". Asus gave me an RMA number and asked that I send it back.

To be clear... it's bricked (as it's original meaning implies).

integratyper

Jan 3, 2012
Mine is BRICKED. Not sort-of / kind-of bricked. But bricked bricked. Like, no sign of life whatsoever. Like, you can't even tell that there is anything electronic about this lump of glass and metal. I was not rooted and didn't even "mess around" with anything before the "update". Asus gave me an RMA number and asked that I send it back.

To be clear... it's bricked (as it's original meaning implies).

When did you update? I hear you have to let battery drain to fix brick.

ngrover

Jan 3, 2012
When did you update? I hear you have to let battery drain to fix brick.

I updated last night (January 2nd).

I can't let the battery drain... because it's bricked. There is no way to turn it on or consume battery power in any way. When I plug it into the charger... nada thing happens. No lights, no sign of life. There is only one way to deal with this which is to send it back. No tricks will work (not even reset or volume-down+power-button does anything, nor can it because.... like I said... it's bricked).

I'm completely dumbfounded as to how an update can nuke a piece of hardware but in my case it has. My only guess is that ASUS is messing around with voltages trying to boost the wifi and GPS signals. Perhaps my hardware was pushed over the limit and something is cooked. Anyway, did I mention that the update bricked my Transformer Prime ? :) ... ug

doeboy711

Dec 12, 2009
Owings, MD
I was on the .27 and mine wouldn't update to the .29. I gave it a couple of days to try, but it didn't. I had to manually update it. Now it still doesn't see an update. I am returning this one because I think. I received a dud. I have to wait for one to come in stock though which is the hard part.

integratyper

Jan 3, 2012
I was on the .27 and mine wouldn't update to the .29. I gave it a couple of days to try, but it didn't. I had to manually update it. Now it still doesn't see an update. I am returning this one because I think. I received a dud. I have to wait for one to come in stock though which is the hard part.

I hate to return this one because everything else is working besides ota updates. Has to be a logical reason. Itsjust not enough people have this problem to figure it out.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Can someone go to settings/about tablet/status and tel me if your serial number says unknown? Im trying to figure out why i and a few others were never able to update ota.

rjscott2005

Aug 16, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia
Mine shows a serial number. Just a question- do you have a serial number sticker next to the charging port?
I hate to return this one because everything else is working besides ota updates. Has to be a logical reason. Itsjust not enough people have this problem to figure it out.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Can someone go to settings/about tablet/status and tel me if your serial number says unknown? Im trying to figure out why i and a few others were never able to update ota.

doeboy711

Dec 12, 2009
Owings, MD
Mine doesn't show a serial number, just unknown and no I didn't do a product registration. Where do you do that at, and will it effect anything?

Guybor

May 3, 2011
Davenport

I'm having the same issue. Stuck on .27 and in info I have no serial number.

Mine was a Best Buy unit if that matters.

integratyper

Jan 3, 2012
Mine was a bb unit as well. Did anyone with a serial number shown as unknown in settings/about tablet/status able to get ota updates? I never registered it but I doubt it has something to do with it.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Mine doesn't show a serial number, just unknown and no I didn't do a product registration. Where do you do that at, and will it effect anything?

We're you able to update though?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From the ASUS-Germany Facebook Page:
    update.jpg
    right after installing the update, I did a GPS test and I'm able to get 8-10 satellites from my home office. I used to never get a signal here. I will test more and report back.
    WIFI is not required for GPS to function. But yes, even with Wifi turned on.

I am so not bothered by this gps nonsense i never turned off my wifi to check, when i go to weather, it knows where am i am, when i go to maps it locks on instantly, when i go to checkins, it knows where i am.

in my eyes GPS works. idc if i go outside with some sattelite app with wifi off if it connects to them. it works, thats all i care about.

if you are using a 10.1 tablet as a GPS in your car then i really don't know what to say.
    Google plus app keeps crashing after this update...

Same here. Got it to work by going into Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > Google+ > Clear Data , then Force stop. First time you load Google+ you will then need to select your account.
    For thoses who can't update, do you get a "The application CMClient (process com.asus.cm) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." everytime you boot up? I do lol, if you do I think I might have found an answer, but it's unconfirmed though. I can confirm it till I get home this evening. Here is a link to what I think is a solution.
    this method worked for me