New Cappy User

Search This thread

Wolgast1

Dec 12, 2013
Hello Guys!

My brother gave me his Captivate, its good as new. He didnt use it when he first got it, so he gave it to me just a week ago.

I'm really new to this stuff and I'm sorry to bother if I unintentionally dig in and reply to old posts.

I got really excited.

Its just that I want to learn more on my phone.

Thanks much!

Reactions: samersahtout

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
Very Durable

They are very durable phones. I just revived one that was soft-bricked and cast aside almost a year ago. I was able to do this w/o utilizing Windows or Odin. Linux and Heimdall worked perfectly.

I will probably use it offline as a media and navigation device. I use several open-source apps that use map files installed on the phone and therefore do not need a data connection, only a functioning GPS.

It could also serve as a back up phone if I have trouble with my SGS3, I'm still on AT&T. I could also use it or allow a family member to use it on the Straight Talk network.

Capz11

Dec 16, 2013
Kramatorsk
I use this phone more than 3 years. It is very reliable device, phone fell down to the floor many times but works perfectly;)
dawgdoc how you fixed GPS? It is weak point of Cappy

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
dawgdoc how you fixed GPS? It is weak point of Cappy

I use it while doing 50 to 70 mile rides on my bicycle. I'm not moving more than 20 mph / 32 kph so it does acceptably for my purposes.
There have been a few downhills where I exceed 50 mph, but they are rare.

Last edited:

ngntuonghuy

Jul 4, 2013
The design of this phone is perfect! I have been using it for more than a year. However, sometimes, the touch screen responsiveness is poor, and GPS catching is so slow that make me disappointed :(.

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
I haven't started using the Cappy while on my bike since reviving it, but that is one of my intended uses for it.

When I was on Eclair and Froyo the GPS was definitely bad. It was a bit better after the Gingerbread upgrade. After switching to CM9 and periodically updating A-GPS with GPS Status by MobiWIA from the Play Store there was some more improvement. I seem to recall also using another GPS adjuster, but I don't recall what it was. In short, it improved but was never great.

miscrap

Jan 17, 2011
I use my old Cappy for geocaching with an external Bluetooth GPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
I had good results with the GPS on my cappy today, but the way I used it may not suit your needs.

A few days ago I was setting at sitting at a plate glass window in a fast food place and detected a couple of satellites but never connected. It was a very rainy and overcast while I was trying to do this. This result was not greatly different than in the past. Back then I could sometimes get connected to a couple of satellites on a clear day when by a window. At the same time that I was messing with my Cappy, on my SGS3 I connected to 17 of 21 satellites in very little time. I had just updated a-GPS data on both phones, WiFi was turned off on both.

Today, I started the day with a fully charged battery on the cappy. As a matter of routine I turn off WiFi and data services unless I am using them, that held true for most of today. I was using the GPS as a bike computer, tracking time, distance, speed, and other variables while creating a track. I used the GPS for just over 3.5 hours. At the end of the day the battery was still at 56%, this is the original battery that was in the phone when I bought it in Nov 2010. Relative battery consumption for the day: Bike app - 42%, Display - 12%, Music player - 12%, phone idle - 10%, gpsd (GPS core) - 8%. Media server - 5%, and other lower consumption items.

The big caveat is that the display was off for almost all of the time the GPS was in use. I was tracking my bicycle ride, I was not using the device to navigate. The app I was using did have voice features active. It didn't take very long to connect this morning or this evening, but it was at least 30 seconds each time.

Part of the reason I resurrected this device was to use in tracking bicycle rides. I am very happy with the results of today's GPS use.

New Cappy User, I apologize if this is hi-jacking your thread.

softkans

May 20, 2013
Welcome

Hello Guys!

My brother gave me his Captivate, its good as new. He didnt use it when he first got it, so he gave it to me just a week ago.

I'm really new to this stuff and I'm sorry to bother if I unintentionally dig in and reply to old posts.

I got really excited.

Thanks much!

Hi, Welcome to Captivate.

I am using captivate for last 3 years, and i love this phone. There is one issue now, that loudspeaker is not working at some times. There are some solutions for that. But still it is a very good phone.

naveen11907

Mar 14, 2014
Hi, i just have a captivate phone from a friend and works perfectly, i would like to upgrade this from eclair to JB. does any knows a stable JB rom for our captivate?

Thanks!

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
Hi, i just have a captivate phone from a friend and works perfectly, i would like to upgrade this from eclair to JB. does any knows a stable JB rom for our captivate?

Thanks!

I just upgraded mine to JB 4.2.2 via CyanogenMod 10.1.3. I have only been on it for a few days. Also, I am only using this device as a music player and will be using it as a navigation tool. So far I am still familiarizing myself with it and have no complaints. I did see a post from one of the experienced users, dated February of this year, recommending this version of JB, either CM or one of the ROMs based on it.

Reactions: naveen11907

naveen11907

Mar 14, 2014
I just upgraded mine to JB 4.2.2 via CyanogenMod 10.1.3. I have only been on it for a few days. Also, I am only using this device as a music player and will be using it as a navigation tool. So far I am still familiarizing myself with it and have no complaints. I did see a post from one of the experienced users, dated February of this year, recommending this version of JB, either CM or one of the ROMs based on it.

Thanks for the suggestion! a big thanks for you.

I already upgraded my cappy from eclair to gingerbread and then vanilla last night.

here are the tutorials incase someone might needed it.

from stock eclair to gingerbread, the thread is http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1350266

and the supernexus ROM which is Android 4.4.2 KitKat (KOT49H - Android-4.4.2_r1) build 1.1.1.

Here is the link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2622834

So far so good.

Last edited:

Sippay

Aug 21, 2013
Hello Guys!

I got really excited.

Thanks much!

Samsung captivate is a very durable phone, I had mine since 2011. dropped it many times. still works 100% still using the same battery. and runs for the whole day.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Guys!

I got really excited.

Thanks much!

Thanks!