phone contacts mixed up with email contacts

Search This thread

mikesands

Mar 30, 2004
I can't find an easy way to display my list of people I phone (about 110) without it being mixed in with all my contacts that Outlook has gathered from email (1766). I can call them up via SIM manager but it takes about 30 seconds to build the list .... and I'm not sure whether people I add in here are reflected in my Contacts and vice versa. I'm sure there's a market for an app that manages email and phone numbers separately
Mike

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
why ?
i moved all my sim contacts to outlook as soon as i got the xda
havent had any reason what so ever to have any on the sim

mikesands

Mar 30, 2004
Two reasons really:
Searching through a huge list while driving is much more difficult than it used to be on my ordinary cellphone with just 100 plus entries, and secondly MS Voice Command (I think) has to build a database for all 1700 outlook contact entries - I think this might be why it's misbehaving.
...... but I don't see anyone else complaining about this, so maybe I'm just working in some weird way
Mike

Create a sub folder in outlook, and move all your email contacts to that folder, then of course you'll need to tell outlook, through the options, the location of the new folder to use for your email address book.

Then leave all your phone contacts in the default contact folder, and this is the one active sync uses when syncing.

This is all due to a limitation in Active Sync whereby you can't specify the folder to be used for syncing, even though, of all things, Nokia PC Suite will do this, whilst microsoft's own solution WON'T.

The other alternative some use, is to use CATEGORIES.

By tagging all your phone contacts with a category label, say for example phone, then you CAN set up activesync so that when it syncs, ONLY contacts of a certain Category are synced.

Hope this helps fit your problem.

mikesands

Mar 30, 2004
Hey .... both of those suggestions sound good. I will experiment. Am I right in thinking though, that I then won't have any email addresses at all in my XDA2. I guess I can live with this, as I'm generally only replying to emails with the XDA2
Mike

bobn

Feb 3, 2004
the way i do it is to have a category in outlook; i use the category of peronal which is out of the box outlook and then in active sync you have the option of synching only people in a categoy. i have outlook 2003

mikesands said:
Hey .... both of those suggestions sound good. I will experiment. Am I right in thinking though, that I then won't have any email addresses at all in my XDA2. I guess I can live with this, as I'm generally only replying to emails with the XDA2
Mike

Er that depends.

Now I'm not sure what your original question meant?

The follow up implies that you do want Email address contacts on the XDA2.

So in simple terms, either you do want them, or you dont.

If you want a more prescriptive choice, let me know a bit more detail of what you are hoping to acheive, and I will let you know if there is a way or a workaround for it....

If only SOME contact records containing an Email address are needed by you on the XDA2, then just also tick them as a "Phone Contact" in the Category field, and these will then sync accross if you use Categories as the method.

Let me know exactly waht you mean...

mikesands

Mar 30, 2004
actually your summary of what I want is pretty spot on. A few email addresses and ALL my phone contacts on the XDA. All my email addresses on the PC (I don't really care about the telephone numbers being on the PC). I followed your advice - but didn't think it through properly. I deleted all my contacts on the XDA, then set active sync on the PC to synchronise only the contacts I'd marked as phone contacts. Of course when it sync'd it decided to wipe out ALL the contacts on the PC. No matter - I have a backup - but incidentally I found that with just the 118 contacts from my SIM card loaded into the XDA, both Voice Command and Fonix were dramatically imroved.
Mike

hshortt

Jan 15, 2004
Ireland
www.howardshortt.com
If you open contacts, and then tap on the w, m, h, or e, you will see the available contact details for each person. Just set it to display what you want and it will be remembered between syncs.

IE. Joe Bloggs with a mobile (m), e-mail (e) or work phone (w), home phone (h). If you want the mobile phone number displayed, tap on the letter and choose M.

Cheerio
Howard