[Q] Recovery on Galaxy 10.1

Search This thread

engljeff

Aug 2, 2010
Anyone know of a way to get into recovery mode (botton combo, one-click, etc.) on the 10.1 tab without having android sdk and adb installed on my PC? I am not new at flashing files in recovery mode, but going through help files/instructions on adk is a bit overwhelming.

I have the root zip file on my tab, I just need to get into recovery mode to flash it.

Thanks in advance...

kentoe

Mar 17, 2010
It isn't possible without adb on a non-rooted device. You can attempt to boot into recovery mode by holding power and volume down on start up and selecting the android guy with "downloading" but it will say: "waiting for usb" and hang there. I was attempting to do this the other night.

Getting into recovery is dead simple though once you have adb going. Go to the android development section and go to rooting your tablet. Download the drivers > connect to the computer > run adb in command prompt once you have your sdk installed > then if you have your drivers fully installed and usb debugging mode is on just type in command prompt "adb reboot recovery" and it will send you directly to recovery mode to flash any zip file you please.

bakobitz

Feb 12, 2011
I've been trying to boot into recovery for a while now, but with no luck. I installed the full SDK platform, and the Manager app downloaded and installed all the available packages (took forever). The 'push' command seemed to work fine, and when I do "adb reboot recovery" the tablet reboots, but just goes into the battery charging screen. Any idea why this might be happening, and what I can do to get into recovery?

Itaintrite

Feb 10, 2008
New York.
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It isn't possible without adb on a non-rooted device. You can attempt to boot into recovery mode by holding power and volume down on start up and selecting the android guy with "downloading" but it will say: "waiting for usb" and hang there. I was attempting to do this the other night.

Getting into recovery is dead simple though once you have adb going. Go to the android development section and go to rooting your tablet. Download the drivers > connect to the computer > run adb in command prompt once you have your sdk installed > then if you have your drivers fully installed and usb debugging mode is on just type in command prompt "adb reboot recovery" and it will send you directly to recovery mode to flash any zip file you please.
The mode that says "downloading" is not recovery mode. Just select the one on the left and you will get into stock recovery mode (unless you already have Clockwork installed).

bakobitz

Feb 12, 2011
The mode that says "downloading" is not recovery mode. Just select the one on the left and you will get into stock recovery mode (unless you already have Clockwork installed).

I managed to do that, but it wouldn't show anything on my '/sdcard' directory, even when I renamed the root package to "update.zip"

In red, it says "E:unknown volume for path [/sdcard]" Not sure if I'm getting into real, stock recovery, or what - seems crazy that stock wouldn't be able to access its own sdcard directory.

Last edited:

Dregus311

Jul 4, 2011
Battery not recovery mode

I am in a similar situation, when I use adb to run recovery mode it sends me to teh battery charging screen. With the exception of that they only other things I can do are to hold power and vol to get option of using Fastboot or ODIN. I do not have any options ever to chose to go into recovery mode. Anyone know why this may be? I am running 3.1 IO version.

Thanks

mughalgxt

Sep 15, 2008
Ajman
You will need fastboot and recovery.img to boot into recovery in order to perform a factory reset.
Installing the sdk works best, as drivers needed are acquired from the process! ELse there are extracted contents available on net including just the drivers, adb (and fastboot!)

Check my thread #9
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1136958

Last edited:

Berner

Jun 6, 2010
Chicago
I managed to do that, but it wouldn't show anything on my '/sdcard' directory, even when I renamed the root package to "update.zip"

In red, it says "E:unknown volume for path [/sdcard]" Not sure if I'm getting into real, stock recovery, or what - seems crazy that stock wouldn't be able to access its own sdcard directory.

I don't think the stock retail recovery is capable of flashing off SD storage. That's why the current rooting methods have you first flash either I/O recovery or a custom recovery.

gunzo71

Aug 24, 2010
I don't think the stock retail recovery is capable of flashing off SD storage. That's why the current rooting methods have you first flash either I/O recovery or a custom recovery.

The manual says to press the power and UP VOL button to get into recovery mode for update flash or wipe data ..

Pressing power and DOWN VOL enters fastboot mode

Reactions: bobbytomorow

mughalgxt

Sep 15, 2008
Ajman
The manual says to press the power and UP VOL button to get into recovery mode for update flash or wipe data ..

Go ahead and let know if you are able to enter recovery with the keys combination and wipe or factory reset the device, according to manual. Did not work for me, am on 3.1 honeycomb i/o galaxy tab 10.1 and many others.

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
Anyone know of a way to get into recovery mode (botton combo, one-click, etc.) on the 10.1 tab without having android sdk and adb installed on my PC? I am not new at flashing files in recovery mode, but going through help files/instructions on adk is a bit overwhelming.

I have the root zip file on my tab, I just need to get into recovery mode to flash it.

Thanks in advance...

Use the quick boot app. Works well for me. Supports power off, recovery, and normal reboot for the free version. Oh yeah but that requires root.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

gunzo71

Aug 24, 2010
Go ahead and let know if you are able to enter recovery with the keys combination and wipe or factory reset the device, according to manual. Did not work for me, am on 3.1 honeycomb i/o galaxy tab 10.1 and many others.

yes it did.. thats why I said try that ..

On 3.1 IO too .. though I broke it within 3 weeks :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.