4G symbol

Search This thread

slojko

Oct 30, 2011
is there a 4G symbol next to the signal strength or does it say LTE? mine says 4G but they show LTE on the nokia website. i didnt upgrade my plan so i was wondering if i have LTE enabled or not.

SuperSport

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
When you upgraded, your provider should have offered the LTE Data Plan upgrade also.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm ALWAYS showing 4G now. I cannot wait to be able to look at the registry, so I can check it. I believe they set normal 3G to show 4G now. I've never gotten HSPA+ here in the house, and now it's ALWAYS on? hmmmm

Still love the phone, but that's a bit misleading...

slojko

Oct 30, 2011
just looked at my plan on the AT&t website and i have a unlimited LTE plan, but i still dont see the LTE symbol

Closest LTE tower is 40 miles away :(

Last edited:

chivamex10

Mar 6, 2012
Looks like Nokia's doing exactly what Apple did with the 4.1 update.

Even though you're most likely still using 3G speeds, the phone will display 4G.

Misleading. Anything under 6mbps is 3G.

The phone will only show LTE when you're in an LTE city. If you live in the bay area you're in luck. Anywhere else, not so much. (except if you live in the other major markets)

As far as the folks still grandfathered into the unlimited data plan, the good news is since your device is LTE your speeds will not be throttled until you hit 5GBs.

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
As soon as we have registry access, I'll be changing it to show 3G when it's actually 3G. I don't like being deceived, especially when I'm trying to download something...

mistergreen

Mar 30, 2009
I asked about this in the store and got flat out lied to by the representatives. Saying how we were in a 4G area now and my speeds will be improved. Did a bandwith test at home and still was only getting 3.5 down. Coverage map according to at&t is the same at my house and the corporate store 12 miles away.

Compupaq

Jun 11, 2010
Yeah, I'm kinda irritated about this too. Even my microcell is being labeled as "4G". When I was at work yesterday, I tried a speed test on 4G and got .8 Mb down. You don't want to know what my upload speed was.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
Yeah, I'm kinda irritated about this too. Even my microcell is being labeled as "4G". When I was at work yesterday, I tried a speed test on 4G and got .8 Mb down. You don't want to know what my upload speed was.

did your upload speed require a stamp? :-D

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

I asked about this in the store and got flat out lied to by the representatives. Saying how we were in a 4G area now and my speeds will be improved. Did a bandwith test at home and still was only getting 3.5 down. Coverage map according to at&t is the same at my house and the corporate store 12 miles away.

I feel your pain, but why would you ever believe a sales rep about anything other than the amount charged to your credit card? They are salesmen. Next week it might be dishwashers, after that an underground sprinkler system. Though I feel you, you had that coming. :eek:

Reactions: ctank22

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
Just as I suspected. They've changed the Registry to show 4G even when it's definately NOT 4G. I am only able to read the Registry, so am still stuck with it, but at least I can confirm they have tried to pull the wool over my eyes as I thought.

go0gle

Mar 15, 2010
Santa Cruz, CA
How are they getting away with that ? Is that legal ? It must be something to do with Windows Phone, both my symbian Nokias are showing 3.5G symbol for HSPA+, not 4G.

I just looked at this wiki page, I don't know how accurate it is, but it shows the following:

VS7nl.jpg

What is the difference between LTE and LTE Advanced ? According to this, even LTE is not 4G, its 3.9G.. and HSPA+ is 3.5G

Oh, here we go.. according to International Mobile Telecommunications this is what you need to market a device as a "4G" .. but I guess no one cares since most iPhones I see are showing 4G and they don't even have the radios for it. I guess this is the "loophole"

"On December 6, 2010, ITU-R recognized that these two technologies, as well as other beyond-3G technologies that do not fulfill the IMT-Advanced requirements, could nevertheless be considered "4G", provided they represent forerunners to IMT-Advanced compliant versions and "a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMT-Advanced#Requirements

Last edited:

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
Actually, I have no problem with them labeling HSPA+ as 4G. That's ok with me. But they've marked UMTS as 4G. Now that seems downright dishonest... It's my guess that was done by AT&T, not Nokia/Microsoft, since it directly benefits them...

emjlr3

Nov 29, 2011
yea this does blow

i look to be just on the outskirts of the Baltimore LTE signal for ATT, and would really like to know what sort of connection I actually have, not what they want to con me into thinking. thought I'd assume if I actually did have LTE, it would be saying so, at least hopefully.

it blows - there are three towers within 10 miles of my house, but none of them put off the LTE signal. they seem to have one every exit up and down I95 in the Baltimore/Metro area

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
yea this does blow

i look to be just on the outskirts of the Baltimore LTE signal for ATT, and would really like to know what sort of connection I actually have, not what they want to con me into thinking. thought I'd assume if I actually did have LTE, it would be saying so, at least hopefully.

it blows - there are three towers within 10 miles of my house, but none of them put off the LTE signal. they seem to have one every exit up and down I95 in the Baltimore/Metro area
Actually, the LTE symbol is set correctly. It will only show when you are actually connected to LTE. The only one I see set incorrectly is the UMTS. It's set to 4G instead of 3G. Unfortunately, UMTS is what I normally have at home. On rare occasion, I can get HSPA+. But it's just nice to know exactly what connection I have in case I'd like to download a larger file.

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
When you upgraded, your provider should have offered the LTE Data Plan upgrade also.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm ALWAYS showing 4G now. I cannot wait to be able to look at the registry, so I can check it. I believe they set normal 3G to show 4G now. I've never gotten HSPA+ here in the house, and now it's ALWAYS on? hmmmm

Still love the phone, but that's a bit misleading...

I spoke to At&t about this. They told me the towers software is upgraded before the hardware. When that happens it will show 4G when you are getting 3G speeds. I may be wrong, but as I understand it 3G and 4G HSPA+ the difference is Fiber between towers instead of cable. Maybe someone can clarify for us if that's true.

SuperSport

Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
I spoke to At&t about this. They told me the towers software is upgraded before the hardware. When that happens it will show 4G when you are getting 3G speeds. I may be wrong, but as I understand it 3G and 4G HSPA+ the difference is Fiber between towers instead of cable. Maybe someone can clarify for us if that's true.
That's very possible, but the issue I am having is that they simply changed in the Registry to show UMTS as 4G. That's just dishonest, unless they have some magical way of making UMTS 4G?

I'm sorry I keep going on about this. I'll stop... ;) You won't normally see me complaining about this type of thing on these forums, I'm just a bit frustrated that it's been so blatently thrown in our faces. I still love the phone, and I actually don't mind the AT&T service I recieve, but they should TRY to not be dishonest as much as possible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

did your upload speed require a stamp? :-D

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

I feel your pain, but why would you ever believe a sales rep about anything other than the amount charged to your credit card? They are salesmen. Next week it might be dishwashers, after that an underground sprinkler system. Though I feel you, you had that coming. :eek: