[ROM][0.0.7.3]ICS CM9 ThinkPad Tablet (Alpha)

Search This thread

jaba_cz

Jan 2, 2008
Prague
Well, I suggest you first start by reading the build instructions:
https://github.com/jbaiter/thinkpad_tablet_device_tree/blob/master/README.rst
Then, when you have a complete source tree and have built a working rom, tackle one of the bugs or features that you are missing.

I tried ... but no real success.
To explain. I have some decent programming skills, but only in windows world using .NET studio. Of course many years ago I used classical C.

So ....
I created Ubuntu virtual machine tried to follow instruction ... But the in instruction is written for older version of "everything", with Linux at start and libraries at the end. Despite of this, I have Eclipse ready and Android SDK ready. Device emulator can be started.
Now I need someone's help to pass through connection GIT and making testing build. The instruction is outdated.
Can anybody
a) refresh the instruction to use up-to-date libraries? (routines like git-core are not present and attempt to install them ends with message of retirement)
b) guide me step-by-step through IM, IRC or PM to kick it working

thanks

BTW: We have only 2 days left till officially announced May22 when ICS to TPT should be available from Lenovo :)

darkhandsome18

Nov 20, 2011
Just a quick suggestion

Hey, thanks for everyone's contribution to this device's development but it seems the development has come to a standstill thus a quick suggestion from me. We've had this rom since like 3-4 months now and there have been tons of changes in cm9 so maybe koshu could merge those changes? they could improve the ics on this device. You guys aren't really waiting for Lenovo ICS anytime before december, right? (sorry, couldn't resist :D).

And any progress on 3g?

Tchitcherine

Feb 17, 2011
Hey, thanks for everyone's contribution to this device's development but it seems the development has come to a standstill thus a quick suggestion from me. We've had this rom since like 3-4 months now and there have been tons of changes in cm9 so maybe koshu could merge those changes? they could improve the ics on this device. You guys aren't really waiting for Lenovo ICS anytime before december, right? (sorry, couldn't resist :D).

And any progress on 3g?

As I said, 3G works on my end, waiting for Koshu before I upload anything (it's basically his code, after all). I haven't heard back from him, though :-/ I'm currently trying to squash some rather annoying bugs (e.g. frequent lockups when entering airplane-mode, audio is stuttering). For Camera and Hardware acceleration I'm afraid we'll have to wait until Lenovo releases the official ICS, my skills aren't good enough to tackle that.
Also, don't worry, changes from CM9 development have been merged into my local repository, if you want I can push those changes to github and you can try to build it. If Koshu permits it, I could upload a recent build of mine. It's not completely bug-free (see above), camera and HW acceleration are not working, but I've been using it daily for the last few weeks and haven't encountered any game-stoppers. I also managed to find a hacked version of the market that finally got rid of all incompatibilities (at least as far as I could see....).

I created Ubuntu virtual machine tried to follow instruction ... But the in instruction is written for older version of "everything", with Linux at start and libraries at the end. Despite of this, I have Eclipse ready and Android SDK ready. Device emulator can be started.
Now I need someone's help to pass through connection GIT and making testing build. The instruction is outdated.
I don't know if those instructions are outdated, all those packages exist on my Debian system. You may want to have a look at your package repository and see if they're just named differently. I'm afraid if you can't even make it past that first step that you'll have trouble building the whole thing.... Not to discourage you, though.
As for git, you actually don't need to know a lot (or actually anything, if you don't plan to commit your own changes) about it, the "repo" tool will take care of that for you.

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010
After my last two finals (today and tomorrow) I plan on getting my build environment ready. I'm going to be using a dedicated machine and was wondering if you think I'd have any issues using LMDE? I prefer not to use Ubuntu as I've kinda grown away from it. I know LMDE is based on the Debian unstable branch so I don't think I'd have issues but just curious if you had any insight.

I'd rather just use good ol Debian before I'd fall back on Ubuntu again. I'd definitely be eager to have access to your github though.

0.0.7.3 has been fine for me for the last few months but I hate the non working audio jack (it doesn't mute the speaker). And for some reason flash is completely broken now even in non-HD.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Tchitcherine

Feb 17, 2011
I build my images on an up-to-date Debian sid/unstable amd64 system and haven't encountered any errors, so you should be good with LMDE. The ARM-binaries get built with android's own toolchain anyway, which is the same no matter what distribution.
As for the audio-jack, this is working fine on my build, haven't encountered any issues.

I just merged the latest changes from CM9's ICS-branch into my repository and pushed it to github, so everything is up-to-date :) Haven't built it yet, though, so I can't guarantee that it's working properly (it should, though!). You only need to adjust your local_manifest.xml (Step 4 of the README) so it uses my frameworks_base repo and not Koshu's.
To do that, just replace the line
Code:
<project path="frameworks/base" name="Koshu/android_frameworks_base" revision="ics" />
with this one:
Code:
<project path="frameworks/base" name="jbaiter/android_frameworks_base" revision="ics" />
and re-run repo sync :)

Last edited:
Reactions: obscure.detour

obscure.detour

Apr 20, 2010
Reflash or reboot =0?

plug in devices and simply reboot :) mouse and flash drive work for me. the Flash drive is mounted as /usbdrive within a file manager.

I build my images on an up-to-date Debian sid/unstable amd64 system and haven't encountered any errors, so you should be good with LMDE. The ARM-binaries get built with android's own toolchain anyway, which is the same no matter what distribution.
As for the audio-jack, this is working fine on my build, haven't encountered any issues.

I just merged the latest changes from CM9's ICS-branch into my repository and pushed it to github, so everything is up-to-date :) Haven't built it yet, though, so I can't guarantee that it's working properly (it should, though!). You only need to adjust your local_manifest.xml (Step 4 of the README) so it uses my frameworks_base repo and not Koshu's.
To do that, just replace the line
Code:
<project path="frameworks/base" name="Koshu/android_frameworks_base" revision="ics" />
with this one:
Code:
<project path="frameworks/base" name="jbaiter/android_frameworks_base" revision="ics" />
and re-run repo sync :)

This is awesome, thank you for this Tchitcherine. I'll be studying tonight and tomorrow, but should be able to get to building it Friday/Saturday.

Cheers.

yahoowizard

Aug 26, 2010
Well, in all honesty, my tablet is only rooted so that I can get ICS....which is coming out tomorrow for the US, so haha, probably going to switch over to that. Is it just a matter of backing up whatever I need to, and then restoring back to the original stock ROM so that it allows me to update?

jaba_cz

Jan 2, 2008
Prague
I move a bit.
Have SDK and Eclipse.
Can run emulated device.

Have repo sync.
When trying build I get after cca 10 minutes (machine 6-core 3.2G / 16G RAM) I'm getting
make: *** No rule to make target `device/lenovo/thinkpadtablet/proprietary/bin/hostapd', needed by `out/target/product/thinkpadtablet/system/bin/hostapd'. Stop.

Any hint to push me forward?

bigsnack

Feb 5, 2011
I noticed a few people are having Chrome force close/crash on them; but, is there a method to resolves this issue, or do we have to use something else for now? Additionally, Google maps does not show up in Play market, even after I cleared market and forced closed it. Any ideas? Thanks

I take will see some sort of newer version of this rom since ICS was released for the Thinkpad this week, or at the very least more apps in the market compatible with our devices?

Last edited:

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
Updated my tablet to official ICS to get the new drivers for ICS. Unfortunately something went wrong (it broke my CWM) so i ended up loosing root and CWM. Looks like there won't be much development from my side until i find a solution or someone else a new root exploit.

For everyone else here, who is trying to build CM9 based on this sources: Feel free to share your builds if you want to, i won't mind (isn't this what opensource is about, anyway? ;)

toenail_flicker

Dec 18, 2011
Sorry to hear! Thanks for all your hard work. Hopefully something will break loose and you can get root again.

Koshu

Jul 28, 2007
Which one are you talking about? I only could find mempodroid, which doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This a a CM9 Port for the Thinkpad Tablet made by Jon2555 and me. Its still under development, so you might run into bugs.

You are flashing this ROM on your own risk. It could eat your kittens, steal your breakfast or brick your device!
    431914all-small.jpeg

(Higher Resolution)

Requirements:
    - A US, UK or WE device (Might also work on others)
    - root (obviously)
    - CWM

Installation:
    - Download xxx.zip and put it on a sd-card
    - Boot into CWM (Reboot and press Vol+)
    - Make a nandroid backup in CWM!
    - Make sure the backup worked!
    - Full Wipe (May not be needed if you come from an earlier CM9 version)
    - Flash zip in CWM

Restore HC:
    - Boot into CWM (Reboot and press Vol+)
    - Restore old nandroid backup

Working:
    - Wifi
    - Touchscreen + Stylus
    - Bluetooth
    - HW Acceleration
    - Sound
    - External Mouse
    - Folio (mostly)
    - VPN
    - Hardware Button

Not Working
    - Camera
    - 3G
    - HW Video Decoding (i.e. for Youtube HQ)
    - No mount as USB/MTP

Known Bugs
    - Wifi doesn't always reconnect to networks
    - Trebuchet has wrong size and misses a few pixels
    - Sometimes apps on the market are incompatible (see Play Store/Market)
    - Sound doesn't mute when headphones are plugged in

Play Store/Market
    Sometimes the market marks apps as incompatible. This happens randomly. If it happens to you try one (or more) of the following:

Folio
    The Folio works but some of the special keys don't. One problem with the Folio is, that there are different Keylayouts (i.e. UK, US) but without a different device ID. In the standard setup this ROM uses the UK layout, if you want to use a US layout, you have to delete a file:

Code:
    su 
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    rm /system/usr/keychars/Vendor_1241_Product_0003_Version_0110.kcm

- The Cyanogenmod team
    - digetx for the Green Flash fix
    - Everyone releasing their source codes for other builds
    - Everyone trying to find and report bugs

If you like our work press the thank button or buy us some lego.

Download
    http://everyrandom.com/files/download.php?file=185alpha00731.zip

Sourcecodes
    https://github.com/Koshu

Changelog:
    Code:
    [B]Version 0.0.7.3.1[/B]
    - Fixed Pen driver to solve reboot problem

[B]Version 0.0.7.3[/B]
    - Added new experimental play store hack v2

[B]Version 0.0.7.2[/B]
    - Added new experimental play store hack

[B]Version 0.0.7.1[/B]
    - removed assert check again

[B]Version 0.0.7[/B]
    - fixed touchscreen scrolling issue 

[B]Version 0.0.6.3.1[/B]
    - added missing generic.kl again

[B]Version 0.0.6.3[/B]
    - Added xt_qtaguid to kernel to solve reboot bug
    - Changed some configs to fix minor bugs

[B]Version 0.0.6.1[/B]
    - Fixed wrong Generic.kl for folio

[B]Version 0.0.6[/B]
    - Fixed Hardware Button Rotate Key
    - Fixed Hardware Button Home Key
    - Added disable Touchscreen through pressing the Browser Button
    - Fixed VPN (Needs testing)
    - Fixed Folio (Expect some keys not available in normal CM9)

[B]Version 0.0.5[/B]
    - Changed to newest CM9 Sourcecode
    - Fixed naming in storage listing
    - Quill recognizes pen as pen
    - Gtalk works with new CM9 and new Gapps

[B]Version 0.0.4.2[/B]
    - Sound works (no Headphones, but maybe we will get there today) Update: Headphones work

[B]Version 0.0.4.1[/B]
    - Sound works in ALSA and partially in Android (Click sounds work, youtube and Music doesn't)

[B]Version 0.0.4[/B]
    - Fixed Green overlay issue (thanks digetx for the hint)
    - Fixed Problem with surface Buffer (No force close of GUI anymore)

[B]Version 0.0.3.2[/B]
    - Modified N-Trig drivers directly in Kernel (Touch Wrapper isn't needed anymore)
    - Still trying to figure out how to fix the green overlay issue

[B]Version 0.0.3.1[/B]
    - Fixed GPS (?)
    - Fixed internal media storage

[B]Version 0.0.3[/B]
    - Wrapper for new ICS-Touchscreen API -> Touchscreen works 

[B]Version 0.0.2[/B]
    - Wifi works (But not Signal Strengh in UI)
    - Reboot Problems hopefully fixed (needs further testing)

[B]Version 0.0.1 (First Try)[/B]
    Working:
    - successfully booted
    - stylus
    - bluetooth (loaded fine but not tested transfering)

Bugs/Not working:
    - Reboot Problems (like in CWM)
    - No touchscreen (only Stylus)
    - No wifi 
    - No camera
    - a bunch of other things
    That is totally understandable. I am extremely glad for the dev support we have received so far. Here's to hoping that once OEM ICS drops they can get it (hw video) working.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using xda premium

Should be possible or a least a lot easier.

I'm back from a vacation and will try to fix some of the audio/pen bugs the next days. 3G still makes problems, i'm thinking to release a wifi-only version until it is fixed (you know, removing the signal icons from the taskbar etc.)
    Updated my tablet to official ICS to get the new drivers for ICS. Unfortunately something went wrong (it broke my CWM) so i ended up loosing root and CWM. Looks like there won't be much development from my side until i find a solution or someone else a new root exploit.

For everyone else here, who is trying to build CM9 based on this sources: Feel free to share your builds if you want to, i won't mind (isn't this what opensource is about, anyway? ;)
    Put this on last night. Not having any market issues (any problem apps you want me to check?)

Only problem I have now is Chrome Beta still crashes after a few seconds use?

Thanks for all the hard work!
    I am sorry to hear that there is currently no more development on CM9 for the TPT.

Maybe we are paused for a while.
    But I still believe, we can have CM9 working.

Personally: I was some time abroad travelling, so no progress. Meanwhile ICS for ROW device was released. From now I'm back and i will try to push it