No more YouTube?

Search This thread

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
My wife's KFHDX 8.9 just updated in the past few days, and the new update seems to be blocking all Google Play software from running. For example, we have Youtube installed via 1mobile, but when you run it, you get a popup saying that it's "not supported" and then it closes out. WTF...

I don't need/want root... I just want to run normal apps. I'm ok with not being able to login to Google apps, too... but disabling Youtube like this? Really? What's the purpose, other than annoying customers?

We tried running Youtube via Firefox as well, and it does the same thing. Are we doing something wrong, or is this just what we're reduced to now? I HAVE to use Silk and nothing even remotely related to Google?

tl3

Feb 9, 2014
My wife's KFHDX 8.9 just updated in the past few days, and the new update seems to be blocking all Google Play software from running.

We tried running Youtube via Firefox as well, and it does the same thing. Are we doing something wrong, or is this just what we're reduced to now? I HAVE to use Silk and nothing even remotely related to Google?

FYI, I'm using the Dolphin browser (v10.3.0) along with Dolphin Jetpack (v6.1.0) and Adobe Flash player (v11.1.115.81) on a stock KFHDX7, running v13.3.2.2, and YouTube videos are working OK for me. You might try again as YouTube might have had problem with the video you were trying to access earlier? There would be quite an uproar and revolt if YouTube is blocked completely.

[Edit] Forgot I had Firefox (v28.0.1) installed too, just tried it, and YouTube videos work on that too. [/Edit]

Last edited:

Tomen8r

Jul 12, 2012
New England
My wife's KFHDX 8.9 just updated in the past few days, and the new update seems to be blocking all Google Play software from running. For example, we have Youtube installed via 1mobile, but when you run it, you get a popup saying that it's "not supported" and then it closes out. WTF...

I don't need/want root... I just want to run normal apps. I'm ok with not being able to login to Google apps, too... but disabling Youtube like this? Really? What's the purpose, other than annoying customers?

I was updated Wednesday and I just checked YouTube. Working as expected

tl3

Feb 9, 2014
Installed YouTube app (v5.3.32) from 1Mobile, and that works for me as well on my stock KFHDX (v13.3.2.2), FYI.

[Edit] Sideloaded YouTube app (v5.5.27) from PlayStore, and when opened, I got the following error pop-up:

7569Screenshot_2014-04-05-09-18-22.jpg

Installed TubeMate (v2.2.2.573) from the Amazon AppStore, and YouTube videos works with this app too. FYI. [/Edit]

Last edited:

ptrsnshane

Dec 13, 2013
Try version 4.1.23. It's an old version but runs and allows sign in.

Sent from my KFTHWI using xda app-developers app

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
Excellent - thanks for the answers. I'll give them a try.

tl3, that's the exact message I get... so hopefully the other versions will get us back on track. I'll try to detail what I did, and which versions I have, and report back...

Edit: Yup, that did it. I was running Youtube 5.5.27 and it was causing this problem on 14.3.2.2. Downgraded back to 5.3.32 and all is back to normal again. Still, this means at some point in the future, you'll have to use a new YT app, and it will be blocked by FireOS? Pathetic. If this wasn't my wife's tablet, I'd be returning it to Amazon while giving them a hell of a stink...

Thanks for your help, everyone... don't update those YT apps!

Last edited:

tl3

Feb 9, 2014
... at some point in the future, you'll have to use a new YT app, and it will be blocked by FireOS? Pathetic. If this wasn't my wife's tablet, I'd be returning it to Amazon while giving them a hell of a stink...

In this instance, Amazon cannot take the full blame here... it isn't just a matter of them blocking the YouTube app. Amazon has a role in this skirmish, but the main culprit here is Google this time. They've strategically redesigned their apps, including YouTube, to be integrated into their Google services framework rather than remaining as a standalone app--like it was with previous versions. This is Google's conscious business decision and effort to counter closed systems like Amazon's Fire OS--each just trying to defend and protect their own turf/ecosystem. Google could have updated the app such that it could be more universally usable and user-friendly--allowing users a choice to participate in their service framework or remain as a standalone app... Google provides, supports and maintains a YouTube app for the iOS that doesn't support the Google services framework--so why not the Fire OS too? These tit-for-tat maneuvers will only escalate and make each ecosystem even more proprietary and closed which is totally contrary to the openness of Android. Amazon started all this with their Fire OS...

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
Thanks for the detail, Tomen8r... as I mentioned above, I downgraded my YT app, and am back to functionality... I believe I'm running the same version you listed.

In this instance, Amazon cannot take the full blame here... it isn't just a matter of them blocking the YouTube app. Amazon has a role in this skirmish, but the main culprit here is Google this time. They've strategically redesigned their apps, including YouTube, to be integrated into their Google services framework rather than remaining as a standalone app--like it was with previous versions. This is Google's conscious business decision and effort to counter closed systems like Amazon's Fire OS--each just trying to defend and protect their own turf/ecosystem. Google could have updated the app such that it could be more universally usable and user-friendly--allowing users a choice to participate in their service framework or remain as a standalone app... Google provides, supports and maintains a YouTube app for the iOS that doesn't support the Google services framework--so why not the Fire OS too? These tit-for-tat maneuvers will only escalate and make each ecosystem even more proprietary and closed which is totally contrary to the openness of Android. Amazon started all this with their Fire OS...

tl3: I understand what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree. The issue is that Amazon is actively blocking GPS (Google Play Services)... they don't have to do that, but they choose to. Think of it this way, you can install Firefox or Chrome on Windows, and MS doesn't block it... they don't have to support it, but that's totally fine. In the same vein, Amazon could just "not support" these apps, but actively blocking them is just being an ass. That's what I take issue with here... and that's why I blame Amazon for this situation...

Again, thanks for the well-reasoned explanation. It does make sense, to a point... but hopefully you can see where I'm coming from better. I'm not asking for something crazy. I'm just asking for software that CAN run on the platform to be allowed to run.