Here's how to disable the start up and shut down sounds

Search This thread

jsmith8858

Nov 11, 2008
Boston
This may be common knowledge to all, but in case it is not:

1) To disable the start up sound, in the /etc directory, rename the file PowerOn.wav to PowerOn.wav.bak.

2) To disable the shutdown sound, in the /system/media/audio/ui directory, rename shutdown.ogg to shutdown.ogg.bak.

I did this using a rooted phone with ADB. I am sure there may be an easier way if someone would like to provide further instructions regarding this.

I hope this info helps someone, those sounds very super-loud and annoying! If this info is available elsewhere, let me know and I will remove this post.

shaneaus

Nov 27, 2007
Austin, Texas
Sounds great! Thanks for the tip.

Also, for those that do wish to have startup/shutdown sounds: Rename your favorite sound in the same format as the file you will be replacing and you should have new sounds.

Since we have a lot of Noobs here (no derogatory intent as I was once a noob as well) here is a little bit better explanation:

Startup sound: locate the sound file you want played, convert it to a .wav file format, rename the file to "PowerOn.wav" and remove the original/replace it with your new file.

Shutdown sound: The same above - but the sound file must be in the .ogg file format and needs to be renamed "shutdown.ogg"

The location of the two files can be found in the above post.

jsmith8858

Nov 11, 2008
Boston
Sounds great! Thanks for the tip.

Also, for those that do wish to have startup/shutdown sounds: Rename your favorite sound in the same format as the file you will be replacing and you should have new sounds.

Good point. In fact, just replacing these files with modified versions that are a much lower volume might be a good way to go, so you still get the sounds but without them being annoyingly loud.

clocke

Jul 21, 2010
College Station, TX
Or, if you go to settings>sound and display>system volume you can turn the volume all the way down, which effectively mutes the start up/shut down sounds. No need for root or anything like that.

Reactions: scandiun

haydonxda

Jul 20, 2010
Thank you!

I disabled the startup animation but was still left with the startup sound. Now things are complete. Did you find out where this PowerOn.wav is being referenced? And why didn't they put this in the media folder with the rest???

LGSilva

May 7, 2007
Thank you!

I disabled the startup animation but was still left with the startup sound. Now things are complete. Did you find out where this PowerOn.wav is being referenced? And why didn't they put this in the media folder with the rest???

How did you disabled the startup animation? Is possible to replace it?

jsmith8858

Nov 11, 2008
Boston
Or, if you go to settings>sound and display>system volume you can turn the volume all the way down, which effectively mutes the start up/shut down sounds. No need for root or anything like that.

Sure, that works if (a) you want to always keep your system sound muted or (b) you always remember to change this setting before rebooting. If you never want the start up or shutdown sounds to play at all, regardless of system volume, then you can rename those files and you never need to worry about it.

clocke

Jul 21, 2010
College Station, TX
All it muted was the startup/shutdown noises... My notifications, ringtones, etc still sound off. Sounds still work on my games. And even with a reboot my settings are still saved.

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Good point. In fact, just replacing these files with modified versions that are a much lower volume might be a good way to go, so you still get the sounds but without them being annoyingly loud.

The sound level of the startup and shutdown screens depends on whatever volume you had your phone at when you shut it down.

I disabled the startup animation but was still left with the startup sound.

yesss, i am also interested in finding out how to disable (at least the att) startup animation :p

Waiting on this too - if we disable the horrid AT&T bars logo animation, I can leave the startup sound and animation for the Galaxy S right where it is! that's the hope at least, disable individual animations instead of a setting like "disable all startup animations"

bhrobinson

Mar 19, 2009
Startup Video

The Bars video is located at /system/media/bootsamsung.qmg

Renaming this kills both the bars and the Samsung startup

Reactions: taadow1030

hollywould

Apr 18, 2007
Huntington Beach
Please forgive me, I'm a total noob when it comes to android. Can you give me exactly what app you guys use to get to these files and rename them? Thanks.

Install "busybox" from the Market, then install Droid Explorer to view root files

(don't worry, I'm a n00b too, just found those instructions and glad to pass it on!)

Unfortunately, like another user on the other thread, even with busybox installed, I cannot get certain folders to open AND cannot make my file renaming stick - I'll rename a file and click another folder, then go back and it hasn't been renamed! I'm certain this has something to do with busybox, but can't figure it out!

Droid Explorer Debug Console
[CommandRunner] adb.exe -s I897793353b8 shell busybox ls -lF --color=never "/data/"
[CommandRunner] ls: can't open '/data/': Permission denied

[CommandRunner] adb.exe -s I897793353b8 shell busybox ls -lF --color=never "/cache/"
[CommandRunner] ls: can't open '/cache/': Permission denied

[CommandRunner] adb.exe -s I897793353b8 shell busybox ls -lF --color=never "/config/"
[CommandRunner] ls: can't open '/config/': Permission denied

Last edited:

09CarreraS

Jul 17, 2010
Help please.
I renamed and deleted the files listed above and they seem to recreate themmselves after. Am I missing something?

Quarter-volume startup sound...

Taking jsmith's suggestion, I've edited the PowerOn.wav sound file down to 1/4 original volume for those like me that don't mind the sound itself, only the ridiculous volume of it.

I am, however, not so skilled at using adb to copy/replace the original in the /etc folder so, any help would be greatly appreciated. I just keep getting permissions errors. Anyway, if someone can offer up specific adb commands for us semi-noobs, it would be a plus. Thanks in advance.

H_Scrappy

-note: File is zipped; just unzip to get to the .wav file.

Attachments

• PowerOn.zip
    787.8 KB · Views: 204

JanSolo242

Jul 19, 2010
I also experienced issues with renaming files and having them return to their previous name. I resolved this by re-rooting the phone, used root file explorer and then moved/copied/renamed as I deemed fit.

Infos3c

Jul 16, 2010
You need to remount /system as read/write instead of read-only. This can be done with the mount command or with some file managers like root explorer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This may be common knowledge to all, but in case it is not:

1) To disable the start up sound, in the /etc directory, rename the file PowerOn.wav to PowerOn.wav.bak.

2) To disable the shutdown sound, in the /system/media/audio/ui directory, rename shutdown.ogg to shutdown.ogg.bak.

I did this using a rooted phone with ADB. I am sure there may be an easier way if someone would like to provide further instructions regarding this.

I hope this info helps someone, those sounds very super-loud and annoying! If this info is available elsewhere, let me know and I will remove this post.
    Startup Video

The Bars video is located at /system/media/bootsamsung.qmg

Renaming this kills both the bars and the Samsung startup
    I renamed the bootsamsung.qmg file and booted, but it doesn't seem to come up any faster.

I think you can change the shutdown video by adding custom PNG files in the /system/media/video/shutdown folder, but I haven't tested yet...i'm trying to figure out what I was going to do for the video (has to be 14 PNG files...or 14 of them all named the same thing).

I'll be testing soon and letting you know if this works.

EDIT: SUCCESS!!!

I was able to create 14 PNG images and copy them from my SDcard to the /system/media/video/shutdown folder and now I have a new shutdown video...anyone have a sight I could upload the new shutdown PNG files too? I have a couple different ones I created...really basic, but a little nicer than the T-mobile default one.

EDIT...AGAIN: And the new shutdown video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t83uQZqAPDw
    Worked well with me! Thanks!

Found this thread through Google, but I did it on my rooted S4 Lollipop, here's what I did:

1. Installed Root Browser
    2. Opened it > asked me to download utilities, I said 'No' (for now)
    3. Navigated to: system > media > audio > ui
    4. Long pressed PowerOn.ogg
    5. Rename > PowerOn.ogg.test
    6. Granted Root permision
    7. Restarted device to confirm