Search This thread

MustangFTW

May 14, 2011
so i had to make a split second decision this morning, the store i work at had the Polaroid android tab for 80$, they only had 20 of them with 300+ people waiting outside, so i hid one and bought it later. Now, is there a way to root it and flash a ROM? its pretty decent for 80$, runs on 2.3.1. doesnt come with market though lol. amazon appstore works on it though so no biggie.

jackylhome

Nov 26, 2011
I have tried 'em all, Z4, superone click, gingerbreak...no luck. I've rooted a xoom and droid x, so I'm not a stranger, but won't claim to be an expert either lol! specs are below.
I usually get "killing adb server" daemon started successfully then nothing. perhaps don't have the right adb drivers. this is a southern telecom tablet branded under polaroid (the menard's black friday deal) - thanks in advance for any help rooting this thing...

model PMID700
Android version 2.3.1
kernel version 2.6.32.27
build number 20110918.170336
Firmware version 2.2

dennyik74

Nov 12, 2011
kansas
Me to

If you get anywhere with this can you please pm me and let me know I got the same one and have been searching to do the same thank you

jackylhome

Nov 26, 2011
some progress...

I uninstalled the drivers from device manager and scanned for hardware changes, then used windows update for different drivers. I was then able to get a few of the root choices, superone click and gingerbreak to communicate with the device. now, i'm getting read only file system errors and "file exists" when it tries to install things like super user...below is an example. i'm not all that familiar with ADB and i'm sure there is some sort of command that would make this -rw...that person just doesn't happen to be sitting with me at the moment! lol...good luck and let me know if you have any success!

Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
This is all the further I have gotten so far also. Gonna keep trying things for a while longer, but hopefully we can get someone in here who actually knows what they are doing! lol

*UPDATE*
Have been trying everything I know to try and get into recovery or bootloader, no luck though, not even adb reboot commands work.

Last edited:

MustangFTW

May 14, 2011
yes, i bought it at Menards also. anyone get the market to install correctly? i downloaded the APK for it and am able to enter my email and everything but it crashes whenever i open it.... anyone else notice how unresponsive the screen is? i did the calibration nut still doesnt feel sensitive enough. i guess we get what we pay for :D

it would be cool to see some of the skilled devs tackle this one since im betting alot of people will be getting this for a gift/got it on black friday.

thanks for the replies! if we get enough attention with this thread maybe someone will make a breakthrough?

rozzops

Nov 2, 2011
Neenah, WI
Yah, I've noticed the screen isn't so great and calibration didn't help. If you use a stylus (or the back of a pen) it responds much better. It appears that I'm literally fat fingering it and the pressure point is bleeding over. AKA crappy screen.

I also have been working on this for a couple days. My original goal was to get the andriod market on the phone but since we cant move the googleframeworkservice.apk over to the system/app folder things don't quite right and crashing begins. Since the system drive is read only it makes things much more difficult.

I originally was posting on this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1364310

JustinSwigart

Nov 27, 2011
PMID700

I very much enjoy this tablet. Its my first, so I really don't have much to compare it too. Your right about the screen. At first, it was really disheartening, but the stylus definately makes it much much better. We just purchased a package of DS styli from walmart. I too would like to be able to root this tablet because the lack of google apps. I'm fairly new to all of this.

drob311

I'm not an expert but I have been working my butt off trying to root this. I'm pretty close. I can get super one click and gingerbreak.apk to run. Gingerbreak doesn't seem to do anything. Super one click when using the zerg exploit runs and roots but it won't reboot for me, constant bootloop. I have logcats and I'm gonna look them over. If anyone is interested in getting this s.o.b. rooted, contact me via pm and we can chat. I'm not a super dev or anything but I'm no noob to this either. Another thing I noticed is that adb worked for me without driver installation. But I also have an evo shift and htc sync was installed, and when I plugged in the tablet my htc sync notified me about an attached device... I have also been getting help from indirect (the guy who rooted the nook)... let's put our brains together and root this *****!

Reactions: Dmoneh

rozzops

Nov 2, 2011
Neenah, WI
drob311,
if you check out the other thread i posted on you will see that none of the one-click programs will work for us. Our file system is cramfs (compressed ROM file system) its compressed and read only which is what is stopping us. So far i have been able to dump the system img off the tablet but it seems to be encrypted and standard tools for reading images don't work. I'm still working on it but currently I'm stuck. If anyone can help that would be great.

What i've done so far:
You need to open the adb shell and do an rkdump on the images (ex. /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock5 /sdcard/update.img). From that image you need to unpack it with AFPTool.exe which will give you the system.img. I'm currently stuck trying to open this image and modifying it. Once I'm able to open it we should easily be able to add the root tools and the Andriod market and push it back to the tablet.

Reactions: drob311

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
When I try to get the rkdump from mtdblock5 it says "unknown image (00 00 00 00)". Kind of strange

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
I too was able to get the system.img from mtdblock4. I also got boot, recovery, and kernel, but I still can't get update.img

rozzops

Nov 2, 2011
Neenah, WI
This is what I did for the dumps:
Code:
C:\rooting\pmid700\adb>adb shell
# cat /proc/mtd
cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00400000 00004000 "misc"
mtd1: 00800000 00004000 "kernel"
mtd2: 00400000 00004000 "boot"
mtd3: 00800000 00004000 "recovery"
mtd4: 10000000 00004000 "system"
mtd5: 10400000 00004000 "backup"
mtd6: 07400000 00004000 "cache"
mtd7: 20000000 00004000 "userdata"
mtd8: 00400000 00004000 "kpanic"
mtd9: 2d800000 00004000 "user"
# chmod 755 /data/rkdump
chmod 755 /data/rkdump
# /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock1 /sdcard/kernel.img
/data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock1 /sdcard/kernel.img
kernel.img found (4869392 bytes)
dumping...
crc found (4 bytes, 0x56c2c7ce)
done
# /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock2 /sdcard/boot.img
/data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock2 /sdcard/boot.img
kernel.img found (340979 bytes)
dumping...
crc found (4 bytes, 0x1b3353f7)
done
# /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock3 /sdcard/recovery.img
/data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock3 /sdcard/recovery.img
kernel.img found (4372988 bytes)
dumping...
crc found (4 bytes, 0xd48da563)
done
# /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock4 /sdcard/system.img
/data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock4 /sdcard/system.img
cramfs found (94093312 bytes)
dumping...
done
# /data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock5 /sdcard/update.img
/data/rkdump /dev/block/mtdblock5 /sdcard/update.img
update.img found (103901184 bytes)
dumping...
crc found (4 bytes, 0x4207c1ec)
done

I was able to get all the images and was able to unpack the update.img as well.

Code:
C:\rooting\pmid700\sandbox>AFPTool.exe -unpack update.img Temp/
Check file... OK
------- UNPACK ------
package-file    0x00000800      0x00000227
RK29xxLoader(L)_DDR3_400Mhz_V1.64.bin   0x00001000      0x00027346
parameter       0x00028800      0x00000267
Image/misc.img  0x00029000      0x0000C000
Image/kernel.img        0x00035000      0x004A4D14
Image/boot.img  0x004DA000      0x000533F7
Image/recovery.img      0x0052D800      0x0042BA00
Image/system.img        0x00959800      0x059BC000
SELF    0x00000000      0x06316804
Skip SELF file.
update-script   0x06315800      0x000003A5
recover-script  0x06316000      0x0000010A
Unpack OK!

The problem i still have is getting the system.img from within the Image folder from the unpack command to open. I still plan to try to do the cramfsck from my linux box to see if it can work there. Also i sent the polaroid customer service an email asking for the current firmware (not holding my breath though).

I plan on working on this more tonight so i will update back with any of my findings. Also i have been keeping some instructions on the steps I've taken so far so if I do get this figured out I will share them.

Reactions: drob311

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
Nice work rozz, I have a question though. Has anyone figured out how to boot this thing into recovery or any other mode?

*off topic* just noticed all of us here are in Wisconsin! lol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rockchip Usb Drivers

I made a little tutorial that will be a little more useful once we can finally unpack this thing. It is instructions for installing the proper usb driver for the soc (RK2918) that powers this tablet. Also directions for flashing the partition of your choice. Also for you hardware enthusiasts here is a link to download the official data sheet for the soc. It has a ton of interesting info that anyone could enjoy. Shows you what this thing is really capable of if properly modified/unlocked.

Data Sheet

On with the tutorial!

You will need the following:

Drivers (windows only)

RK29 Update Tool

First things first MAKE SURE YOUR TABLET IS TURNED OFF and the USB is UNPLUGGED!!!!!!!!!
    It is also recommended that you have at least half of your battery life remaining on the device.
    And of course I am not responsible for any decisions you make whether they lead to bricking your device or pure profit!

DRIVER INSTALL

1) Unzip the archive with the drivers. Don't forget where you unzip to.

2) Press and hold down the "menu" button. While still holding menu, plug the usb cord from the computer into the tablet

3) Your pc will start looking for a driver automatically. It should fail to find any, if given the option, choose manual install.

4) If not given the option, you need to go to control panel > Device Manager

5) You should see an unknown devices in the list, right click on it

6) Choose "Update Driver Software..." and a new window will open.

7) Choose "Browse my computer for driver software" and another window will open

8) Browse to the folder you unzipped the drivers to. Select the appropriate folder for your operating system. EX. C:\PMID700\Drivers\64bit\win7

9) Make sure to check the box next to "Include subfolders"

10) Click the "Next" button and windows should successfully install your driver

RK29 Update Tool

1) Download the tool from link above and extract the .zip file and open it.

2) Double click the "RK29Update.exe". RKAndroidTool v1.29 will run

3) If you installed the driver correctly and still connected to the pc with device power off, the big bold message at the bottom should read "Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb." Success! Your device is attached and ready to be updated!

4) The Flash tab is where you want to be. From here you can choose exactly which Partition(s) you would like to update.

*CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION*

IF YOU CLICK THE "ERASEIDB" BUTTON YOU WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON INTERNAL MEMORY. If you do this make sure you have a backup or something to flash, as you will not even be able to turn on your device if you don't. I personally found this out the hard way, luckily I did an rkdump of all device partitions and was able to use the "RK29xxLoader(L).bin" and "parameter" files included in the "RK29_Update_Tool" folder, as I did not have the originals or update.img.

*CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION*

Have fun and be careful
    Flashing update

Here are the files for flashing rk29 Rockchip 2918 Polaroid PMID700. 7zip
    FYI, I will have a version 1.4 soon with ext4 support making it even a little faster :)

Bob
    New link will be up in minutes!

Stock 2.4 update
    http://db.tt/i83BNETN

Stock 2.4 images
    http://db.tt/MwNdgoNU

RK usb drivers
    http://db.tt/CAKnyPss

RK install tool
    http://db.tt/ESC6Lvaj

RK 2918 Data Sheet
    http://db.tt/aeWorbuv

Install CM7 instructions
    http://db.tt/WcjyT8Ek

Moded CM7
    http://db.tt/DJ0heMq3

Gapps Framework
    http://db.tt/DIufEiBq
    Somewhat working cm7 with google framework

This is how to get cm7 w/root and google framework installed.:D PLEASE READ EACH STEP BEFORE STARTING I believe it is very noob friendly. If not, pm me with any questions, try to keep the thread as clean as possible! lol. Right now wifi still does not work. To get this to work I am GUESSING we need to somehow unpack the original system.img from the manufacture and pull the proper files to push to the new system.img. I really want to check out the above post by duvvid (excellent first post by the way) to try this guess. Anyway, lets get on with it.

UPDATE 12/22

1) Make sure you have adb installed and working!!!!!!!!!

2) You need the rockusb drivers and RK29 Update Tool which can be found HERE along with a guide on getting them installed and working.

3) Download THIS zip and extract it somewhere you can remember

4) Open up the RK29 Update Tool

5) Erase IDB (warning: erases everything except the sd card, but it is important)

6) Check every box except "Backup" and fill each one with the files downloaded in step 3.

7) Click "Run". This will send everything and boot your tab into recovery to do the operations. This is *not* the last step.

8) Silver Android logo? Default AOSP boot screen! And there's CM7 boot!

9) First thing it asks you to choose an app. Choose "Setup Wizard"

10) Complete setup, skipping the sign in. We can easily do this when we get wifi working. Setup will probably start over when you finish but will FC after 2nd run, which is fine.

11) Open the "File Manager" app and navigate to /system/app and click to install the following apps. THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE any rebooting. Most will say not installed. That is fine, but for some reason if you don't do this you will have a bootloop. If any one is bored, I welcome you to try different combos to try and shorten this list:

CarHomeGoogle
    FOTAKill
    GenieWidget (news & weather widget)
    GoogleBackupTransport
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
    GoogleFeedback
    GooglePartnerSetup
    GoogleQuickSearchBox
    GoogleServicesFramework
    LatinImeTutorial
    MarketUpdater
    MediaUploader
    NetworkLocation
    OneTimeInitializer
    SetupWizard
    Talk
    Vending

12) Back out of the file manager and open the app drawer.

13) Open either "Market" or "Talk" or both (prefered) and back out (they may take a second to show up in launcher, but they will show)

14) Reboot and ENJOY!!!! Also if you had seen the lockscreen before the

reboot you would notice it is really screwed, well not any more.

ADDITIONAL INFO

I have most google apps from the market HERE. Just extract the zip, copy them to your sdcard, and install.

The tablet is already setup to appear as Nexus S in the market with Sprint as the carrier.

Link to folder with all files for tablet HERE

I have the 7200. I went through everything I did and my problem was I used a 2.08 loader that came with one of the flashing tools I used. It was for a later SDK then the one our tablet uses, with a EXT3 filesystem I believe.

So then, I guess we can flash different loaders ONLY IF they are v1.65. Any other loader WILL BRICK your device

More Info Soon.

Most of my info to do all this came from THIS thread. Check it out if you get a chance. I also got a lot of info from many, many sites. Google search rk29xx or cramfs and at least the top 10 results of each were used as a reference tool!