Root 2.20 ThinkTank [Absolutely NO off-topic discussion]

Search This thread

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
It's that time again kids.
I Ran the 2.220 RUU on my HOX today just to see if ANYTHING we used to be able to do would work.
/data/local is still write protected so the easy ways won't work.
I do have a question regarding write protection on partitions though. Do any of the low level tools we have contain the ability to push files to write protected partitions? Or change the condition of said partitions, even temporarily?
I'm sure this has been tried but I've never tried it so I'm asking.

Last edited by a moderator:

GuyIncognito721

Mar 1, 2011
Oswego
I'm no dev by any means, so I may sound stupid here.
But I was messing around with some stuff yesterday and noticed that, even though data/local is WP, you can still create a new directory within data/local, like data/local/temp, and then that new directory you can write to and copy files to (I had tried playing around with the debugfs root stuff)
Like I said, probably worthless, just an observation.

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
I'm no dev by any means, so I may sound stupid here.
But I was messing around with some stuff yesterday and noticed that, even though data/local is WP, you can still create a new directory within data/local, like data/local/temp, and then that new directory you can write to and copy files to (I had tried playing around with the debugfs root stuff)
Like I said, probably worthless, just an observation.
so if you changed the debugfs script to point to /data/local/temp did it get you temp root?

GuyIncognito721

Mar 1, 2011
Oswego
so if you changed the debugfs script to point to /data/local/temp did it get you temp root?

All the files were pushed successfully, but upon reboot (part of the script) I got an error with something along the lines of "failed to load filesystem".

After some reading in the GS3 forums, I think it might have something to do with /data and /system being on different partitions?

Reactions: wlmeng11

GuyIncognito721

Mar 1, 2011
Oswego
Let me go back on what I said.
You cannot create a new dir in data/local as you get permission denied. However, you can write/push to data/local/tmp, and those files persist after reboot.

Reactions: wlmeng11

GuyIncognito721

Mar 1, 2011
Oswego
Let me go back on what I said.
You cannot create a new dir in data/local as you get permission denied. However, you can write/push to data/local/tmp, and those files persist after reboot.

Anyways, this is what is output after editing the dirs to point to /data/local/tmp and rebooting:

Step 2 - Rooting...
For this step, ignore any error messages that say "File not found"
debugfs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p33: Permission denied while opening filesystem
debugfs: rm: Filesystem not open
debugfs: rm: Filesystem not open
debugfs: cd: Filesystem not open
debugfs: write: Filesystem not open
debugfs: set_inode_field: Filesystem not open
debugfs: rm failed for /data/local//tmp/tmp, No such file or directory
failed on '/data/local/tmp/tmp.bak' - No such file or directory

Rebooting...
Once your devices has finished restarting,
Press any key to continue . . .
Waiting for device to be detected...

Can someone running 1.85 firmware copy and paste your output when you run 'mount' via adb shell?

beaups

Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 28, 2007
Dublin, OH
OK I'll go ahead and chime in here since I've spent at least 40 hours trying to find root on 2.20....

1.) /data/local is not WP. We just aren't allowed to be there, just like 1.85
2.) /data/local/tmp is shell writeable just like 1.85
3.) The 1.85 exploit (WR directory in redbend) is patched and unuseful
4.) debugfs won't do anyone any good as the block device is not WR. That app is only useful if the OEM left the block device WR or you can trick the system into making the block device WR via a symbolic link attack or something similar.
5.) "mount" outpout isn't useful for debugfs as debugfs opens the actual block device. If you want to see those permissions, simply "ls -l /dev/block/mmcblk*".

Gunny - did you actually run the 2.20 RUU? You probably didn't want to do that.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root achieved

I have successfully rooted the HTC One X on AT&T running build 2.20. I will need another tester before I'm able to publish. If you are willing to be a tester, please post a reply saying you are volunteering to test, and I'll contact you via PM or email. Please do not email or message me.
    Ok, atm my new hoc is in pretty rough shape...ok, bad shape....still working but no need for any over excitement..... I've ruu 4 times now and still not fixing my issues. The ruu removed the tampered flag, so once I get my phone back in order I need to recreate the condition that set the flag, from there hopefully we can put it all together and make this happen:beer:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Can we stay on topic please?
    Thanks everyone for the more than generous ideas:) You guys are awesome.....I cant really accept any donations but again thank you for even thinking of such a thing :) I should be up n running in a few days of so and will continue working on it...... Also, beaups has spent more time than anyone by far on this and he is still currently spending lots of time on it. In the meantime I have the phone completely disassembled, plugged in and playing with hardware ideas until I get back on track, so im still going to be here working in the background and will let you guys know if anything neat is figured out. THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!!

20120925_105939.jpg

Im getting qshusb mode with it all the way disassembled and playiung with some points on the motherboard to see if I can find any reactions (good reactions:)