Anyone found a fix for chromecast

Search This thread

mantrajt

May 3, 2009
Yesterday I used my chromecast again. .... after using it when using notification shade a persistent error appears. ... only way to fix it is rebooting. Any ideas?

Enviado desde mi SM-P600 mediante Tapatalk

interpas

Dec 6, 2013
Can you elaborate some more? I'm not having any issues like yours so give some extra information please.

chgambini

Sep 12, 2008
Seattle
Yesterday I used my chromecast again. .... after using it when using notification shade a persistent error appears. ... only way to fix it is rebooting. Any ideas?

Seems a few of us are waiting for this to be fixed. Another forum member has sent their tablet back to samsung twice now hoping for a fix. This problem is apparent on my note pro as well, so I think we need sammy to push us a software fix

mantrajt

May 3, 2009
Seems a few of us are waiting for this to be fixed. Another forum member has sent their tablet back to samsung twice now hoping for a fix. This problem is apparent on my note pro as well, so I think we need sammy to push us a software fix

Hope this doesn't take them soooo looooong

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I think we need sammy to push us a software fix

Not to be the bearer of bad news but if it's an isolated problem affecting a small percentage of users the likelihood of Samsung issuing an update for just this specific issue is pretty slim. I don't use Chromecast myself but I was at a friends house last night and tried it from my N10.1-14 running 4.4. I didn't have any issues and the notification panel didn't bork while I played with it during Chromecast playback. Since those with the issue didn't have it on 4.3 it's obviously a s/w compatibility issue or conflict. I'd try to narrow down what's unique on the Pro's and Note's running 4.4 that are having problems to find the ROM version/region, installed s/w, combination of s/w, configuration, or settings that are causing it. You guys huddling together to figure it out will be faster than waiting for a fix that may never come.

chgambini

Sep 12, 2008
Seattle
Not to be the bearer of bad news but if it's an isolated problem affecting a small percentage of users the likelihood of Samsung issuing an update for just this specific issue is pretty slim. I don't use Chromecast myself but I was at a friends house last night and tried it from my N10.1-14 running 4.4. I didn't have any issues and the notification panel didn't bork while I played with it during Chromecast playback. Since those with the issue didn't have it on 4.3 it's obviously a s/w compatibility issue or conflict. I'd try to narrow down what's unique on the Pro's and Note's running 4.4 that are having problems to find the ROM version/region, installed s/w, combination of s/w, configuration, or settings that are causing it. You guys huddling together to figure it out will be faster than waiting for a fix that may never come.

I think the percentage is bigger than we think. I have tried all the floor models at my local best buy and they to mess up. I to doubt samsung will fix this. I am not sure how to isolate the problem. The note pro I have access to is completely stock, the stock wallpapers for lock and home screens have not even been changed. I have factory reset both devices and have not installed any app other than the pre-installed stuff. Calling samsung doesnt help, I have already read of other forum members sending their tablets in to just have them sent back without being "fixed". There are more than one thread about this throughout XDA and other sites.

I have owned my 2014 since nov 2013. I haven't changed anything on it other than the update to 4.4. Thats why I beleive it is the cause. The moment after the update was complete, the chromecast problem happened.

I will say again, chromecast works as always fof many, many apps. Listening to google play music and google play movies seems to be the biggest offenders. I have read that the Crackle app has problems too.

My 2014 and pro are bogh 32g US version purchased straight from samsung. Both have never been rooted.

Last edited:

chgambini

Sep 12, 2008
Seattle
Pretty much anything that works with Chromecast crashes it. Twit Cast for Chromecast, Google Play Music and Videos, Chrome Beta, YouTube etc.

I can watch youtube and hbogo with no problems. Do you have the video playback issues as well? If I try to watch a video from g+ or a preview of a movie on google play, I will either get a black screen with audio only, or massive stuttering and lines while watching on the tablet in full screen.

I have sent feed back to Google on the music and movies apps. Lets see what kind of reply we get from them

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I very much agree with this - I have tried Costco and BB models - 2014 and Tab Pro and Note Pro - all had the same issue. It's the lucky few that haven't had it.

What regions does it affect? Obviously you're in the U.S. My working device is from Latin America. Do Chromecast's themselves come with a single version of s/w that's deployed identically worldwide? Google updates Chromecast. Was the Chromecast's firmware the same before and after the N10.1-14 started crashing? You need to figure out what the devices that aren't working have in common and that includes Chromecast itself. Does screen mirroring work by means other than Chromecast? You'd think if something was majorly wrong with the N10.1-14's video, networking, or s/w drivers screen mirroring would be borked consistently. Just some things to think about.

I'll give you an example. Some folks with the OG N10.1 reported importing PDF's crashed S Note. A bunch of us weren't having any issues. We found out that even though the OG 10.1 was only six months old at the time there were eight different versions of S Note installed depending on region. Two of the eight had the PDF problem. Therefore I'd be careful about making assumptions about how wide spread the issue is. Chromecast's pretty popular and I think there would be more "WTF?" posts if it was as widespread as some think it is.

Reactions: chgambini

chgambini

Sep 12, 2008
Seattle
SamsE=BarryH_GEG;52798927]What regions does it affect? Obviously you're in the U.S. My working device is from Latin America. Do Chromecast's themselves come with a single version of s/w that's deployed identically worldwide? Google updates Chromecast. Was the Chromecast's firmware the same before and after the N10.1-14 started crashing? You need to figure out what the devices that aren't working have in common and that includes Chromecast itself. Does screen mirroring work by means other than Chromecast? You'd think if something was majorly wrong with the N10.1-14's video, networking, or s/w drivers screen mirroring would be borked consistently. Just some things to think about.

I'll give you an example. Some folks with the OG N10.1 reported importing PDF's crashed S Note. A bunch of us weren't having any issues. We found out that even though the OG 10.1 was only six months old at the time there were eight different versions of S Note installed depending on region. Two of the eight had the PDF problem. Therefore I'd be careful about making assumptions about how wide spread the issue is. Chromecast's pretty popular and I think there would be more "WTF?" posts if it was as widespread as some think it is.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 chromecast in my house. Yes the are updated OTA directly from google. The firmware was the same before and after the update. My note 3 on 4.4 works perfectly with chromecast with the same version of google play music/movies and the ssme apps overall installed. Samsungs allsharecast will work on my tablets. The only devices I have that exhibit this behavior are the note 2014 and note pro. Both stock us version, both crash on play music/movies, both have random issues with video play back. The 2014 was fine before 4.4, so this leads me to believe the update is causing it. I did not try the pro until I had issues with the 2014 to see if it was the same so I cant say it was good or bad out of the box. The pro did rec an update right before the 2014 rec 4.4.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I have 2 chromecast in my house. Yes the are updated OTA directly from google. The firmware was the same before and after the update. My note 3 on 4.4 works perfectly with chromecast with the same version of google play music/movies and the ssme apps overall installed. Samsungs allsharecast will work on my tablets. The only devices I have that exhibit this behavior are the note 2014 and note pro. Both stock us version, both crash on play music/movies, both have random issues with video play back. The 2014 was fine before 4.4, so this leads me to believe the update is causing it. I did not try the pro until I had issues with the 2014 to see if it was the same so I cant say it was good or bad out of the box. The pro did rec an update right before the 2014 rec 4.4.

Comparing to other devices isn't going to help you. Hell, my N10.1-14 works fine with Chromecast on 4.4 and others have said the same thing. So the issue isn't where it works, it's where it doesn't and why. Out of what you said this is what I took away...

• The problem was introduced with 4.4 because your N10.1-14 worked fine with the same Chromecast device on 4.3. Is it something Samsung did in 4.4 specific to the Pros/Notes? Just for U.S. versions? Is it an issue in 4.4 itself that the specific Samsung s/w on the Pro/Notes is aggravating? It's not universal to 4.4 or 4.4 on the Pro/Notes because the problem's not happening beyond a subset of devices.

• Your device is from the U.S. as is @blinkingled 's. Where are the other people reporting issues device's from?

• You said the problem was there after a complete reset. Does that include preventing Google and Samsung from applying apps and settings stored in your accounts when you first start setup? I'd hard reset again skipping both the Samsung and Google account sign-ins. Go to Accounts in settings and add Google but quickly uncheck all the syncs so they don't add anything to your device. Same thing if Play tries to restore or update your apps. In Play, install one of the apps that was causing crashes. If with nothing but the basics on your tablet Chromecast is still crashing it's something in Samsung's update causing the problem. At least for the U.S.
You mentioned the Pro receiving an update. Since this isn't a universal problem there's no assurance that Samsung's devs even know about it. If 100 people worldwide report a problem and it makes it in to Samsung's problem tracking system that's a blip compared to the millions of devices sold since the N10.1-14 became available in October. And since it's related to third party h/w it goes to the bottom of the line. In the scenario I described above with the OG Tab 10.1 PDF issue Samsung did nothing to specifically address the problem even though people from affected regions reported it. The next wave of planned updates fixed the problem because all regions received an S Note update. So if we can't figure out the issue it's highly unlikely Samsung will either. That means if an update corrects it it'll be coincidence not because Samsung's diligently working on a solution. In other words, people affected that live and die by Chromecast are potentially going to have to live with this for a while. :(

EDIT: Do you guys with issues have external SD cards? Try removing them and soft resetting the tablet (hold power for seven seconds) to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: chgambini

chgambini

Sep 12, 2008
Seattle
Comparing to other devices isn't going to help you. Hell, my N10.1-14 works fine with Chromecast on 4.4 and others have said the same thing. So the issue isn't where it works, it's where it doesn't and why. Out of what you said this is what I took away...

• The problem was introduced with 4.4 because your N10.1-14 worked fine with the same Chromecast device on 4.3. Is it something Samsung did in 4.4 specific to the Pros/Notes? Just for U.S. versions? Is it an issue in 4.4 itself that the specific Samsung s/w on the Pro/Notes is aggravating? It's not universal to 4.4 or 4.4 on the Pro/Notes because the problem's not happening beyond a subset of devices.

• Your device is from the U.S. as is @blinkingled 's. Where are the other people reporting issues device's from?

• You said the problem was there after a complete reset. Does that include preventing Google and Samsung from applying apps and settings stored in your accounts when you first start setup? I'd hard reset again skipping both the Samsung and Google account sign-ins. Go to Accounts in settings and add Google but quickly uncheck all the syncs so they don't add anything to your device. Same thing if Play tries to restore or update your apps. In Play, install one of the apps that was causing crashes. If with nothing but the basics on your tablet Chromecast is still crashing it's something in Samsung's update causing the problem. At least for the U.S.

You mentioned the Pro receiving an update. Since this isn't a universal problem there's no assurance that Samsung's devs even know about it. If 100 people worldwide report a problem and it makes it in to Samsung's problem tracking system that's a blip compared to the millions of devices sold since the N10.1-14 became available in October. And since it's related to third party h/w it goes to the bottom of the line. In the scenario I described above with the OG Tab 10.1 PDF issue Samsung did nothing to specifically address the problem even though people from affected regions reported it. The next wave of planned updates fixed the problem because all regions received an S Note update. So if we can't figure out the issue it's highly unlikely Samsung will either. That means if an update corrects it it'll be coincidence not because Samsung's diligently working on a solution. In other words, people affected that live and die by Chromecast are potentially going to have to live with this for a while. :(

EDIT: Do you guys with issues have external SD cards? Try removing them and soft resetting the tablet (hold power for seven seconds) to see if that makes a difference.

Yes I have done a hard reset on both devices, skiping past adding any accounts and unchecking the restore app data box.

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

No sdcard. I will try a hard reset again, unchecking all the google sync stuff. Got nothing to lose.......

chgambini

Sep 12, 2008
Seattle
Try downloading a free show or trailer in Samsung Hub Video. Does the issue occur with a Samsung app using Samsung-sourced content?

OK, hard reset, nothing installed, skipped past adding accounts. Went to settings, back up and reset unchecked restore apps data and added my Google account with all sync unchecked. Google music and movie still cause system.ui crash when touching the notification bar. Samsung hub plays fine. Samsung hub does use allsharecast to my Samsung TV and not the chromecast though

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
OK, hard reset, nothing installed, skipped past adding accounts. Went to settings, back up and reset unchecked restore apps data aND added my Google account with all sync unchecked. Google music and movie still cause system.ui crash when touching the notification bar. Samsung hub plays fine. Samsung hub does use all casts hare to my Samsung TV and not the chrome cast though

Try turning off Chrome in Application Manager.

blinkingled

Mar 7, 2011

That's an extensive and well thought out debugging list - thanks :good: (I had posted a message some time ago to gather info from people having and not having the issue - but I think we only got 2-3 uncertain data points.) But at this point I have tried everything in your post - reset, with and without SD, without restoring apps, with and without updates. It still crashes. And the ChromeCast firmware was last updated was in mid April when it didn't have an issue with 4.3 - so that doesn't seem to be a factor either.

About being in the US - I think OP's tablet is Latin American version if I am not mistaken. It's really a mystery at this point as to why some of them work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I very much agree with this - I have tried Costco and BB models - 2014 and Tab Pro and Note Pro - all had the same issue. It's the lucky few that haven't had it.

What regions does it affect? Obviously you're in the U.S. My working device is from Latin America. Do Chromecast's themselves come with a single version of s/w that's deployed identically worldwide? Google updates Chromecast. Was the Chromecast's firmware the same before and after the N10.1-14 started crashing? You need to figure out what the devices that aren't working have in common and that includes Chromecast itself. Does screen mirroring work by means other than Chromecast? You'd think if something was majorly wrong with the N10.1-14's video, networking, or s/w drivers screen mirroring would be borked consistently. Just some things to think about.

I'll give you an example. Some folks with the OG N10.1 reported importing PDF's crashed S Note. A bunch of us weren't having any issues. We found out that even though the OG 10.1 was only six months old at the time there were eight different versions of S Note installed depending on region. Two of the eight had the PDF problem. Therefore I'd be careful about making assumptions about how wide spread the issue is. Chromecast's pretty popular and I think there would be more "WTF?" posts if it was as widespread as some think it is.

I agree, I have tried everything I know how to do. I have sent feedback to google as well just so they are aware of the problem with their apps. Seems like the threads on the pro forum just died out with no resolution.

I found this community over at G+ - https://plus.google.com/communities...0/stream/51473e63-210a-4865-b794-2a27bc4b67ab - Look at this post where the guy with Note Pro 12.2 posts a stack trace. May be everyone having that issue should join the community and keep bugging the developers about it.
    That is merely at the network level - blocked packets etc. that type of stuff. Routers I doubt will cause SystemUI crash due to to Volume change notification. That seems to be specific to status bar implementation - they seem to be different across CND and COO firmwares for example - COO had a +1-4 button to set base brightness that CND lacked.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Oh ok. Can you post some details about your tablet? Where did you buy it, 16/32GB , White/Black/ Firmware Version (CND2/COO/ whatever) - we are trying to figure out why some people have the issue consistently and others don't.

I guess keep in mind so far it was just one test on Netflix.

Otherwise it's a US, 32GB Note 10.1 2014 Black P600 Refurb that I got from the woot deal. It has the CND2 firmware.
    There are people, most likely the majority, that aren't having the issue. I'm not and neither is @pitchdarkice. If it were the majority you'd think this would be a bigger thread and that there'd be a similar big thread in all the Note/Pro forums. The fact Samsung doesn't have the issue flagged in their problem tracking system means they haven't gotten a lot of calls and that takes in to account the universe of users not just the XDA subset.

There are people in the U.S. with and without the problem all running the same 4.4 s/w. @chgambini tested his N10.1-14 right after a reset with as little on it as possible and still had the problem which tells me it isn't s/w. So whatever it is it's a variable and I wouldn't be too quick to discount drivers and on-device networking s/w interacting with stuff off the device as a potential culprit. Why do you think some U.S. N10.1-14's are fine with Chromecast on 4.4 and others aren't when they are all running the same s/w? That's the question that needs to be answered and when it is the problem will be identified.

Can we really rule out software? My tablet was fine before the update, no issues with chromecast at all. Now after the update I have problems. The only change is the OS.There are people talking about this, just google "samsung systemui crash chromecast" you will find threads in the 12.2 and 8.4 pro forums here and on other sites. @blinkingled found a post on G+ chromecast developers talking about it. Also threads in google support forums. Google nor samsung reply to anything.

I read a lot of relpies here saying they have no problems, but they go on to say they cast netflix or youtube. The biggest offenders I can tell are google play movie and music apps. Seems like maybe there are not as many complaints because netflix user are greater than us play movie users.

As far as samsung denying they have no reports of this frustrates me because I myself have contacted them multiple times and @blinkingled has sent the tablet in twice. We need to get past customer service and make sure the logcats are getting to a programer that knows how to decrypt the report.