Android Screencast - Control your phone from your PC (My Mobiler for Android)

Search This thread

tvittito

Apr 2, 2007
This works on my CM5 rooted G1, but it is unusably slow. I am running 0.4 according to some website plus I tried the copy attached to the OP.
MyMobiler for WM6 was smooth and skin-able and worked great. I hope this app develops further.

My goal now is to get rid of my CarPC. It is running Windows 7 now. I was trying to get Android x86 on it, but I realized that as long as I have to connect my phone for internet, I might as well just connect audio to it too and do-away with the entire CarPC all together.

What I need is to be able to plug in my G1 to a PC (running Windows or preferably a tiny Linux bootloader) when I get in the car. Then my 7" touch screen should mimic my phones screen (fast, and preferably re-sampled so the image doesn't look all blocky). Ideally this app would also change the phone to landscape mode and keep the screen alive (or better yet operate the phone and mimic the screen while keeping the actual screen/touch turned-off).

This seems to me as a perfect solution for anyone with an Android phone and a touch-screen in their car. A phone mount is not the same as you need a big screen for safe driving. A CarPC is not the same as it does not have millions of touch-friendly internet enabled apps. Even a CarPC running Android is not the same because you can't configure it and add media to it by pulling it out of your pocket no matter where you are (and you probably couldn't dial phone numbers with it either).

Is there any chance this software will eventually be able to display an HQ YouTube video at full frame rate on the attached PC? If not, then I guess I need a phone with video-out and maybe a copy of this software that doesn't waste speed on video, it would just run full screen and send over the mouse/touch to the phone (Car LCD's will still send the touch-data to the PC, even when switched to a video-input rather than VGA). The current app is too laggy on transferring mouse clicks/drags to even work for that (not dissin' though, great work! Just needs to be faster).

Good gravy man. If you could bring a product to market to do that, I'd have no doubt that it would be quite successful. Heck you could do the same with the iphone. I would buy one for my car in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

tonyc0642

Aug 18, 2008
Keizer, Oregon
Great idea, and I hope it continues to be developed, but for now it's painfully laggy and pretty much unusable, at least for me. G1 CM5.0.7, Win7 x86.

ownin1

Mar 12, 2009
anyone having trouble downloading the attachment? its gettting me to download a html page

evulhotdog

Jul 17, 2010
I can also not get it to control it, I Just want an application where I can type on my phone in text messages while showing my screen, on my screen, is that too much to ask? I am able to view and record it. My phone is rooted, but nothing asks for su permissions or anything. How can I configure it so it is able to be controlled?

voodoo55

Jul 24, 2010
Rpmcormic: I was thinking the same thing. I have a 7in touchscreen in my dash connected to a neetbook in the glove box. This program doesn't quite seem to fit the bill. Doesn't seem to work with froyo either; does it? It shouldn't be too hard to do. Anyone find something similar?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

voodoo55

Jul 24, 2010
I found a program called Droid vnc. A vnc server for android. Unfortunately, lag is still a problem. And mouse clicks don't seem to work quite right. That may be a place to start though.

evulhotdog

Jul 17, 2010
I found a program called Droid vnc. A vnc server for android. Unfortunately, lag is still a problem. And mouse clicks don't seem to work quite right. That may be a place to start though.

I would use that over this app at this point because at least I can control it, but when you type it repeats letters as if you are holding down the buttons, due to lag. Its dumb, if that was fixed I would use droid vnc ALL THE TIME lol.

joshua2327

Jul 24, 2010
I can also not get it to control it, I Just want an application where I can type on my phone in text messages while showing my screen, on my screen, is that too much to ask? I am able to view and record it. My phone is rooted, but nothing asks for su permissions or anything. How can I configure it so it is able to be controlled?

Have u ever tried google voice? it's what i use from my pc at work to send texts

sirtom1

Oct 12, 2009
The viewing works great (although slow on refreshes) -

HOWEVER, I can only view on my PC. Keyboard and Mouse clicks on the computer are not registered onto the devices.

And if i click 'menu' , 'home' , or any of the other buttons, nothing happens.

Is this normal?

hamidtb

Aug 25, 2010
i placed android into C drive and also instaleed jdk-6u21-windows-i586

when I try to run androidscreencast.jnlp, i get this error

"unable to lunch the application"
what should i do?

discdoc

Aug 10, 2010
Do you have to make entries to the Command Prompt every time you run
Screencast? Is there a way of automating this so that you just run
the Screencast app and are ready to go? Thanks!

kordnas

Sep 11, 2010
Not running that smoothly

Hey guys,

Was happy to have found the app as well. On my mobile though, HTC Magic, it doesn't run that smoothly. Also no Umlaute are recognized, heck not even colons and semicolons etc. So some keyboard layout mapping is missing there as well

I attached a video to give an impression of what it looks like. The recording looks exactly like the live pic, which might just be so by how the program works. Keep up the good work!

Sandro

Attachments

• AndroidScreenCast.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 848

kordnas

Sep 11, 2010
USB Debugging

USB debugging actually was on when the video was made, so that doesn't seem to be it

Thx,
Sandro

DanCandy

Sep 21, 2010
Cherry Hill, NJ
The viewing works great (although slow on refreshes) -

HOWEVER, I can only view on my PC. Keyboard and Mouse clicks on the computer are not registered onto the devices.

And if i click 'menu' , 'home' , or any of the other buttons, nothing happens.

Is this normal?

Mine WAS fully functional but after wiping and messing with some ROMs I tried to implement it again and now I'm having the same issue.

timothydonohue

Oct 2, 2007
Portland, Maine
i just found this. i can see my device no problem, even with adb wireless (which is pretty pimp, to be honest). however, i'm also getting absolutely no control over the device. none. none at all. i can explore it, but that's it.

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
i just found this. i can see my device no problem, even with adb wireless (which is pretty pimp, to be honest). however, i'm also getting absolutely no control over the device. none. none at all. i can explore it, but that's it.

Ditto. I got my Evo rooted and installed Screencast, but I can only see the screen. The mouse doesn't do anything. Could someone that has this working, please give a step-by-step?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright guys, I finally found a Java App that will actually control your phone from your pc. This is not complicated. Thanks to acid256 for this open source project.

If your looking to do screenshots, use the java screenshot program in this thread

Features
    - Mouse and keyboard control FOR ROOTED DEVICES ONLY
    - Landscape mode (right click)
    - Video recording
    - Basic file browser

INSTRUCTIONS
    Download Android sdk. Place android-sdk-windows folder on root of your C:\
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Download(skip login) and install JRE(JDK) 6
    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp

Download the attached java file, unzip it, and just run it.
    Place it anywhere you want. It doesnt have to be in the sdk folder like the screenshot program.

Make sure your phone is plugged in for a minute or two.
    If you cant get it to control, run the automount app or dual mount sd widget.

If you can see but not use keyboard nor mouse, try this:

adb shell
    su
    chmod 777 /data/dalvik-cache
    cd /data/dalvik-cache
    chmod 777 ./*

Credits to the one who found it.

Working properly on Samsung Vibrant!!
    I've been using this for about 2 weeks now. The timeout issue is down to the service not starting to find the device.

Open a command prompt and navigate to the tools folder of your androidSDK download. type

Code:
    adb.exe devices

after this, do it again, it should now pickup your device. Run the app and it should work fine.

I've created a batch file to start all this up when I log into my Win7 machine and it works fine.
    For those having trouble, Edit: First batch didn't work as well as I had hoped
    Instead, go to a command line and run the following commands (from where ever you have adb saved):

adb shell <press enter>
    su <press enter> After this step, check your phone to see that it is asking for super user permissions, or that there is a message that says that SU permissions are granted

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system <press enter>
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/sh <press enter>
    exit <press enter>

I also have to run the command 'adb devices' ever time, so I created batch that does that every time, then starts the JNLP file (phone.7z)

you will have to extract both files, and if your SDK is on another drive/location, just edit the batch (they are simple)

Enjoy!!
    as far as the power off situation - with winmo you could change the display timeout to 'always on when plugged in', but with android all i can recommend is going to settings>display>screen timeout and set it for 30 mins which is the max.

Menu->Settings->Applications->Development->Stay Awake (Screen will never sleep while charging)