[MOD] BackLightNotification v1.6 (eclair) - led notifications by touchkey backlight

Search This thread

LevitateJay

Dec 18, 2009
I dont have a camera to take a photo or make a film.
If some one else could do that, i would appreciate that.

So let me try to explain what it does:
If you get, for example, a sms from your friend on your phone with an unmodified samsung-firmware, you will be noticed only by an icon in the notification bar.
This mod allows now every app to activate the backlights (the two led lights under menu and back button) for notifications.
If you now get a sms on your phone the backlights will be activated while the screen is powered off and this is the signal that you should have a look at your phone.

Oooh I see. That sounds sweet. Are you working on a fade/pulse feature for it?

xan

Retired Recognized Developer
May 21, 2006
Crack-ow
And is that important now? There is at least one more important thing about it now. Have you ever noticed pulsing/fading of buttons backlight on SGS? No? Then fading/pulsing is behavior never spotted on i9000, so chances are small. This would require serious changes in buttons controller firmware, as stated.

Last edited:

LevitateJay

Dec 18, 2009
And is that important now? There is at least one more important thing about it now. Have you ever noticed pulsing/fading of buttons backlight on SGS? No? Then fading/pulsing is behavior never spotted on i9000, so chances are small. This would require serious changes in buttons controller firmware, as stated.

Blinking would also be cool, just not look as flash as pulsing. It's just if the lights are staying on steady it seems more like a bug or something is wrong rather than a notification. Could also save battery life maybe?

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
is it also working with voodoolagfix ?

Voodoo is not released yet, but supercurio announced, that he will publish source code and documentation for his lagfix. So chance is good that i can integrate support for voodoo. But at the moment it is probably not compatible.

About fade/pulse feature:
Thats not possible, hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off.

About blinking light/flashing:
That is possible, but only by software. Using the cpu consumes energy (edit: not power... :rolleyes:), that would lead into even shorter battery life.
And saving battery is not easy while blinking. So chance is small that i will integrate that in future release, my focus is to extend battery life.

Last edited:

Falloutboy2000

Aug 24, 2010
Voodoo is not released yet, but supercurio announced, that he will publish source code and documentation for his lagfix. So chance is good that i can integrate support for voodoo. But at the moment it is probably not compatible.

thx dude, i can wait :)

About blinking:
That is possible, but only by software. Using the cpu consumes power, that would lead into even shorter battery life.
And saving battery is not easy while blinking. So chance is small that i will integrate that in future release, my focus is to extend battery life.

i think blinking would be cool, even if it drains battery.
cause it should just drain battery in the time you dont look for the missed call , or? in my case that would be an max timetable of maybe 2-3 hours.
maybe you can do this in a later release- certainly you have plenty of work to do, as an option like mentioned before.

thanx for your work

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
i think blinking would be cool, even if it drains battery.
cause it should just drain battery in the time you dont look for the missed call , or? in my case that would be an max timetable of maybe 2-3 hours.
maybe you can do this in a later release- certainly you have plenty of work to do, as an option like mentioned before.

thanx for your work

I think wht he means is the process to constantly turn the backlight on then off in order to create a blink effect will have a greater effect on the battery life then leaving it just on. I 2 would love a blinking effect but not at the cost of battery life ;)

Falloutboy2000

Aug 24, 2010
I think wht he means is the process to constantly turn the backlight on then off in order to create a blink effect will have a greater effect on the battery life then leaving it just on. I 2 would love a blinking effect but not at the cost of battery life ;)

of course i get it, but u see 2 ppl 2 needs/demands. thats the reason for an option.
if its technically not manageable or drains battery maybe 10 % in an hour,
then of course ist makes no sense.
anyway he will do it on his way :)

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Another update for the mod:

v0.9.5 (release candidate 1):
  • reduced size of initramfs
  • some lowmemorykiller tweaks
  • updated proprietary kernel modules
  • solution for calendar & call notification: "Missed Call for Android 2.x" app

I think that the issue about the shorter battery life with enabled backlights is minor issue. I will try to fix that in later release.

About the blinking light/flashing feature: not in the near future.
I tried to implement it on last weekend, but i introduced somehow a deadlock. So i dropped that...

But there are also good news:
The solution for the calendar + call notification is the app "Missed Call for Android 2.x" from market.
Configuring that app is pretty easy:
  1. install it from market
  2. hit menu button
  3. click add service
  4. add "call service" and "calendar service"
  5. finished
I'm not the author of "Missed Call for Android 2.x", dont ask me for support for this app.

QR-code for the app:

Last edited:

Joans

May 15, 2010
Just wanted to check before I flashed this. I've got the RZA lagfix installed on my phone, do I need to uninstall that before I flash this and then reapply it, or can I just flash this and it will still work ok?

Edit - Also, I'm running the 2.3 beta version of that lagfix, the link in the first post goes to the version 1 thread. Is the beta version supported as well?

Last edited:

Karupan

Jul 12, 2010
Singapore
Awesome! Been following your progress for sometime now. Its great that you have made a working solution for this. Now the only thing lacking is a flashing option which is crucial for me. Hope you can experiment with that when you have time!

Thanks for your hard work :)

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Just wanted to check before I flashed this. I've got the RZA lagfix installed on my phone, do I need to uninstall that before I flash this and then reapply it, or can I just flash this and it will still work ok?

Edit - Also, I'm running the 2.3 beta version of that lagfix, the link in the first post goes to the version 1 thread. Is the beta version supported as well?

You can just flash this.

Any lagfix that is based on a modified playlogos1 should work.
Lagfixes that depend on a modified initramfs (part of kernel image), like the A2SD lagfix, should be disabled/removed.

Last edited:

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
If you have v0.9.5 RC1 already installed, please comment on following questions:

Are you satisfied with the features included so far?
Is it stable?
Any issues that are not listed in post 1?

Do you miss some features?
(Except for features on todo-list for v2, see post 1)

Joans

May 15, 2010
I realise this isn't a particularly helpful post, but I can't get this working anymore.
I've managed to pretty much destroy my phone a few times over the last couple of days so I've been starting again from scratch quite a lot. At one point, I definitely had this working (and very good it was too), but now nothing happens when I get an sms or gmail.

Is any of the following likely to be the cause?
I've flashed firmware WJG5
Rooted
Modified Swype using a metamorph theme
Modified framework-res.apk and twframework-res.apk using metamorph
Installed RyanZA's lagfix (using the APK)
Flashed this modification.

I did flash before I installed the lagfix, but it didn't work so I tried reflashing, still nothing. Any ideas?

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
I realise this isn't a particularly helpful post, but I can't get this working anymore.
I've managed to pretty much destroy my phone a few times over the last couple of days so I've been starting again from scratch quite a lot. At one point, I definitely had this working (and very good it was too), but now nothing happens when I get an sms or gmail.

Is any of the following likely to be the cause?
I've flashed firmware WJG5
Rooted
Modified Swype using a metamorph theme
Modified framework-res.apk and twframework-res.apk using metamorph
Installed RyanZA's lagfix (using the APK)
Flashed this modification.

I did flash before I installed the lagfix, but it didn't work so I tried reflashing, still nothing. Any ideas?

To check if BacklightNotification is correctly installed you should check if the size of /system/lib/hw/lights.default.so is around 14kb and that it says "2.6.29 neldar@BLN_mod #98" in Settings -> About phone -> Kernel version.

If both of that is correct, could you please provide me links to the other modifications you did?

Last edited:

Joans

May 15, 2010
My Kernel is correct, but lights.default.so is only about 5kb.
I'll try manually installing that file from the zip.

Edit - yeah, that's fixed it. Thanks.

Last edited:

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Update:

v0.9.6 (release candidate 2):
  • improved battery life (only a little bit)
  • fixed: wakelock remains enabled after notification is disabled

Please report back if this is stable, this version could be the last rc before the release of v1.0.

Btw, you can follow me now to get updates for this mod: http://twitter.com/neldar_dev
Or just join to the twitter channel for this mod.

Last edited:

oswade

Jun 18, 2010
Hope you can fully fix the battery life issue :) ...

Is it the same issue I read in another thread that it currently isn't possible for SGS to go into full "Suspend" mode whilst backlights are enabled?

Great work! Much appreciated!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Questions & Answers:

How do i enable led notification for ...?
    • sms: notification by default
    • touchwiz email: notification by default
    • gmail: notification by default
    • Google talk: notification by default
    • calendar: download "Calendar notifier" app from market (alternative)
    • call: my BLN control - Pro from market
    • any other apps not shipped with stock-samsung firmware:
      ask the author of the app for notification led support

What lagfixes are supported?

How much does this modification affect battery life?
    With backlight notification permanently powered on, the battery lasts around 82 hours (around 3,5 days, 1,22% per hour). This means, that activated backlights will increase battery usage by about 0,18% per hour. If there is no backlight notification ongoing, battery life is normal (around 96 hours, 1,04% per hour). Tested with flight mode enabled.
    How do you test the battery consumption? This is a common and reliable method.

Can you get this mod working with Android 2.2 (froyo)?
    BacklightNotification for Froyo is now available.

Could you add a fade feature?
    That is not possible, hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off.

Could you add a flashing/blinking light/pulse feature/option?
    That is available in the froyo kernel combined with the bln control pro.

I got the message "Cannot open update.zip (bad)". What does this message mean?
    That means the file got corrupted, you should delete the update.zip in /sdcard/ and download the zip-file again, copy it again to /sdcard/ and rename it to "update.zip".

Source:
    kernel: linux-2.6.29 updated | license: GPLv2
    normal bln ramdisk | license: unknown (proprietary?) | author: samsung
    voodoo lagfix ramdisk | license: GPLv3 | author: supercurio (Francois SIMOND)
    BacklightNotification patches v1.6 for eclair | license: GPLv2 | author: neldar (Michael Richter) | comment: compatible to all Galaxy S phones, no porting needed (just enable KEYPAD_CYPRESS_TOUCH and disable KEYPAD_MELFAS_TOUCH in config)
    Liblights for BacklightNotification | license: Apache-2.0 | comment: have a look at the NOTICE file

Chancelog:

v1.6 (stable)
    • new sysfs interface (/sys/class/misc/backlightnotification/) - recommend update
    • updated kernel source

v1.1:
    • added: option to disable/enable bln (without uninstall)

v1.0 (stable, based on rc3)

v0.9.8 (release candidate 3):
    • removed: wakelock -> (hugely) improved battery life

v0.9.6 (release candidate 2):
    • improved battery life
    • fixed: wakelock remains enabled after notification is disabled

v0.9.5 (release candidate 1):
    • reduced size of initramfs
    • some lowmemorykiller tweaks
    • updated proprietary kernel modules
    • solution for calendar & call notification: "Missed Call for Android 2.x" app

v0.9.1 beta:
    • improved compatibility with lagfixes
      (see Q&A "What lagfixes are supported?")

v0.9 beta:
    • initial release (first public beta)
    This modification is ONLY for firmwares with Android 2.1 (eclair)!
    if you are searching for a froyo (android 2.2) version: BLN for froyo

What is BackLightNotification?
    The BackLightNotification mod converts the touchkey backlights into a notification led.

What is modified?
    The BackLightNotification mod replaces the kernel by a modified kernel and it also replaces the lights.default.so in /system/lib/hw/.
    In detail:
    This kernel includes my backlight notification patch and additionally ext4 and tun modules. (For lagfix and vpn support.) The lights.default.so in /system/lib/hw/ enables android led notification via backlights. This mod does not include any modified app. To enable led/backlight notification for an app/function see the Q&A "How do i enable notification for ...?"

What Galaxy S phones are supported?
    This kernel is only for i9000 and i9000m (Bell Vibrant).
    If you want BLN for any other Galaxy S phone, then please ask someone who creates custom-kernels for that phone, whether she/he would like to include BLN. The patches are compatible to all already released Galaxy S phones.

Does this mod drain the battery?
    No, that issue has been fixed in v1.0. Some blogs are still reporting that, but that is an old news that applies to an early beta version.
    Measurements showed, that an ongoing BLN increases battery consumption by 0,18% per hour. The average battery consumption without BLN is 1,04% per hour, so an ongoing BLN results in an overall battery consumption of 1,22% per hour. And by the way: ongoing NoLed results in an overall battery consumption of more than 9,5% per hour. Please see the Q&A "How much does this modification affect battery life?".

How reliable will I be notified with this mod?
    With this mod you will get 100% reliable notifications via touchkey backlights.

Why could you state, that this mod is 100% reliable?
    The BLN mod activates already available APIs in android. If an application initiates a led notification, it will call the notification manager and that will call liblights (lights.default.so), which enables/disables the backlights by calling the (modified) touchkey kernel driver.

For more questions and answers have a look at the Q&A in the second post.

If you have A2SD or mimocan lagfix installed, remove/disable it before installing BacklightNotification.

Instructions for installation/update:

New method: SGS kernel flasher app:
    If your phone is already rooted you can try the SGS kernel flasher app.
    Just download&install the app and select any .tar or update.zip that you want to flash from this thread.
    If your phone is not rooted and/or you dont want to root the phone, you can use the odin/heimdall method.

Update.zip-method:
    1. Download "i9000_BacklightNotification_v1.6.zip" (md5: 606aa95a2b43be900928cd7a32eb5a7e)
    2. copy the zip-file to /sdcard/
    3. rename the zip-file to "update.zip"
    4. power off the phone
    5. boot into recovery mode (by pressing "Vol Up" + "home key" + "power key" together,
      when bootlogo appears, release the keys)
    6. apply update.zip (Vol Up/Down to select and Home key to apply -
      you will see strange characters and a flickering screen, that is normal)
    7. wait for reboot
    8. install apps, if needed, see the Q&A "How do i enable backlight notification for ...?"
    If you want to have more control over BacklightNotification:
    BLN control app - blinking, call notification, scheduler and more to come

BackLightNotification with Voodoo lagfix(-only) beta4/v3.0:
    i9000_BacklightNotification_v1.6_with_voodoo_lagfix_beta4.zip (md5: dde016adb2c18182a1bff25bdc6a0048)
    Support for voodoo lagfix:
    Discuss about Project Voodoo / lagfix, color or http://project-voodoo.org/

Removal:
    Download "i9000_android_2.1_remove_backlight_notification.zip" (md5: 9a9baa80b18e24eac19c02e7cb3a153a)
    (if you have the voodoo package, use the package from project-voodoo)
    and continue with step 2. of the instructions above.

Todo for v2 (sorted by priority):
    1. app to enable/disable bln function (without uninstalling) done
    2. add an option to disable/enable bln (without uninstall) added with v1.1
    Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/neldar_dev

Credits:
    supercurio (for voodoo lagfix, his kernel-update.zip-template and the ct-ng config)
    No, you should wait for a release of voodoo project with bln integrated.

Should be compatible, but you should apply first the 3-button fix.
    Bln replaces only the kernel and one file in /system.
    I've already applied 3-button fix!
    I'm going to apply your patch! thanks!