[APP]Bluetooth Keyboard Easy Connect

Search This thread
Feb 15, 2011
my Ipega with function Keyboard not conect. It is a HID (Ipega) keyboard and in Android 2.3 its work. But in my Motorola Razr XT918 this not work !

Hi guys,
I was frustrated to find out that I was not able to connect my newly bought bluetooth keyboard. I could pair it within Bluetooth settings, but it always shows "Paired but not connected".
Even more frustrating is that the developers of apps which allow for a working connection to the keyboard are asking around 10 USD for the app.
I don't care about any features like shortcut keys and such. I just need a connected keyboard.:eek:
I decided to write an app which exactly does just this. For free, as it should be!

Description
-------------
A service which connects your bluetooth keyboard device.
Android 2.3 has support for HID devices but is not able to connect bluetooth keyboard devices correctly (yet).
This service automates the connection to your keyboard.
There are no extra features like key mappings a.s. (yet)

WARNING
---------------
This application needs superuser permissions!

You can find this app in Google Market. Search for "easyconnect"

BTW If anyone finds any bugs, or inability to connect a certain device, please let me know the details and I will work on a fix.

Thanx for sending logs, I fixed a number of issues:

- No longer scanning every 15 seconds. Instead it monitors connection state.
- Connection now is event driven. Device nearby will connect it.
- added notification of device connection
- Preventing Android from closing the service after a certain time.
Keep sending bug reports guys!

Compatible keyboard devices (from user comments):

- iGo Stowaway XTBT01
- CVDH-A66 Mini Bluetooth Keyboard for Smartphones, iPad, iPhone, PS3, More
- Apple Bluetooth keyboard
- Freedom i-Connex Mini
- Broadcom Keyboard Device (German keyboard with annoyingly positioned connect button which needs a toothpick to be pressed)

Latest update:
Finally got some time to work on stability.
Let me know if you have troubles getting it to work for you.
Working on keymaps ;) as well
Fixed a FC on startup after installation

Greetz,

Mike

HobsonA

Dec 26, 2011
Albany
Hey Mike thanks for all your work I just had a question

I have a logitech bluetooth keyboard which doesn't show it's pairing code to my Nook HD+ which is extremely frustrating and makes the keyboard get stuck at pairing since I can never enter a randomly generated 6-digit code which it won't show me.

If i were to root and use your app could your app get me around this issue and allow me to connect? If no do you have any suggestions to resolve this issue?

tjohnso1

Jan 13, 2005
Germany
Hello,
i'm trying to connect my Dell RK906 keyboard to my Samsung note 10.1. In native bluetooth mode i cannot connect, so i thought i'd try this app. But I also cannot conect with this app.
The keyboard has it's own usb dongle, but i'd like to connect directly via bluetooth. When i connect the dongle to the Samsung i can use the keyboard.
The Keyboard does not have any noticable "connect"button, only an on/off button. So I do not know how to put the keyboard into "connect"mode.
Anyone have any help they can offer me?
thanks.

Nov 1, 2007
Moscow
www.mybesttools.net
Mixing Problems

Hi all,

I've been noticing that people attempt to use this app to solve problems on higher Android versions.
The problem on those devices is not the missing HID support, but the completely changed bluetooth stack.
Google replaced the Bluetooth stack from BlueZ to a new stack built by Google and Broadcom.
This stack is more energy efficient to start with, but in some cases if the app you are using with your device does not take care of keeping certain services awake, connections break up.
This goes for HID devices as well as A2DP devices. The apps which are not using the new features of Android in relation to bluetooth services do not keep connection because of this.
In the mean time I did create a new App which does just that, keeping services available so your connection does not break down.
In this case the app is no longer free, as I do keep things up to date, and provide support to anyone needing it if troubles occur with the functionality provided.
Check it out on Google Apps

Samsung Note

Jan 10, 2015
Keyboard disconnects again

I tried both apps and I paid the new one, they don't work for me anymore (note 10.1 2014), my logitech k810 keyboard keeps disconnecting after a few seconds. The old app however worked fine, after it installed something the keyboard connection was stable. It worked even after the android 4.4 update, but stopped working after the app was updated. Can you please look into this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,
    I was frustrated to find out that I was not able to connect my newly bought bluetooth keyboard. I could pair it within Bluetooth settings, but it always shows "Paired but not connected".
    Even more frustrating is that the developers of apps which allow for a working connection to the keyboard are asking around 10 USD for the app.
    I don't care about any features like shortcut keys and such. I just need a connected keyboard.:eek:
    I decided to write an app which exactly does just this. For free, as it should be!

Description
    -------------
    A service which connects your bluetooth keyboard device.
    Android 2.3 has support for HID devices but is not able to connect bluetooth keyboard devices correctly (yet).
    This service automates the connection to your keyboard.
    There are no extra features like key mappings a.s. (yet)

WARNING
    ---------------
    This application needs superuser permissions!

You can find this app in Google Market. Search for "easyconnect"

BTW If anyone finds any bugs, or inability to connect a certain device, please let me know the details and I will work on a fix.

Thanx for sending logs, I fixed a number of issues:

- No longer scanning every 15 seconds. Instead it monitors connection state.
    - Connection now is event driven. Device nearby will connect it.
    - added notification of device connection
    - Preventing Android from closing the service after a certain time.
    Keep sending bug reports guys!

Compatible keyboard devices (from user comments):

- iGo Stowaway XTBT01
    - CVDH-A66 Mini Bluetooth Keyboard for Smartphones, iPad, iPhone, PS3, More
    - Apple Bluetooth keyboard
    - Freedom i-Connex Mini
    - Broadcom Keyboard Device (German keyboard with annoyingly positioned connect button which needs a toothpick to be pressed)

Latest update:
    Finally got some time to work on stability.
    Let me know if you have troubles getting it to work for you.
    Working on keymaps ;-) as well
    Fixed a FC on startup after installation

Greetz,

Mike
    Wow this is perfect! Thanks so much!
    Previously I had a shortcut to bluetooth settings on my home screen to try and connect as quick as possible, but this is 50 times better. I don't have to enter any stupid pins and make sure I press the pairing button at the right time.
    I did have one little hang and lag which finished with a force close. But all good nonetheless.

I'm using a mini bluetooth keyboard with a N1 running CM6.1.1 btw which I typed this message with.
    5 stars on the market ;)

Edit: Wait, so as long as you're using this app, you dont need a ROM that supports Bluetooth HID devices? As long as your phone is rooted, anyone can use this?
    If so, hats off to you.
    sorry, previous post was posted outdoor via the onscreen keyboard.. so let me explain now..:)

in /sdcard/btk You have to put your bluetooth mac address of the keybord..

for example

echo AA:22:BB:44:55:66 > /sdcard/btk

where AA:22:BB:44:55:66 has to be your keyboard bluetooth address

If you have installed the app (and downloaded bluez utils), then you can find hidd binary...

find /data/data -name hidd

(then you can copy it to whenever location you want)

Then the success way to connect is as:
    1. turn on the bluetooth (on the phone)
    2. turn on the keyboard
    3. make the keyboard discoverable (e.g. press the flat button right of leds). The blue led has to start blinking
    4. execute the command:
    hidd -t 15 --connect `cat /sdcard/btk`

Ok it is ugly method (working for me:), i have setup a script which do the job, and call it from the notification area via gscript lite).

The better method is this workaround* to be included in the app (may be the developer will be glad to do it for some beers:)

*workaround:

this bluetooth keyboards (e.g. yours and mines broadcoms ones) are not visible unless the blue led is blinking. so the hidd binary is not able to connect to them.
    That's why i have to "steal" the hidd binary and do the things so they work for my setup.
    IMHO if the app has the possibility to "search" just for one keyboard (instead of all paired, or all in range). And this search to be not exactly search, but just "blind" connect, it should work.
    Anyway the app is great (especially in terms of ease of use).

So hope it helps (btw, will be glad to try to make some patches if there are source of the app)
    I have an iGo Stowaway keyboard, but have no idea where the (paper) manual that came with it is (it's been years.

I couldn't even remember how to put the thing into discoverable mode, so I went searching, and found a couple of online manuals for the keyboard, but specific to not Android devices (given Android's non HID support, I guess that's a 'duh!')

So, assuming some other folks might be in my same position, I excerpted the relevant parts, made some edits, and the result is pasted below.
    Note that this will only get you as far as 'paired but not connected' state - but it's a start

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Relevant info excerpted from an online copy of a manual for an iGo keyboard for a different OS.

On the Android device, go to Settings / Wireless & Networks.
    Set Bluetooth to ON, if it isn't already.
    Tap 'Bluetooth Settings'.
    Tap 'Scan for devices'.

Put the keyboard into Discoverable mode: Press the <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn> keys together until the green LED (above the <T> key) flashes once per second.

The keyboard should appear as a 'Think Outside Keyboard'.

On the Android device, there should now be a block labeled 'Think Outside Keyboard / pair with this device'. Tap that block.

There will be a dialog box "Bluetooth Pairing Request".
    Enter a Passkey of your own choosing (of 1-9 digits), using the tablet on-screen keyboard.
    NOTE: The Passkey must contain only digits, for example 12345.

Next, type the same Passkey number on the Stowaway keyboard, using the <Left Fn> + <Number> keys.
    When finished, press the <Enter> key on your keyboard.

If the Passkey is entered successfully on both devices, the message "Think Outside Keyboard Paired" will appear on the Status tab. If the keyboard does not show up as paired:
    a. Press the <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn> keys together on the keyboard again.
    b. Or, power cycle the keyboard (close and reopen), then press <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn>.
    c. Or, check that the Red LED on the keyboard is not lit after a power cycle, indicating a dead battery condition.

If the passkey is not entered correctly, the pairing will fail. In this case you will need to re-start at 'pair with this device'
    NOTE: Enter the passkey on your Android device first, press OK and then follow with the passkey on the keyboard.
    When finished, press the <Enter> key on the keyboard.

Even when disconnected, the mobile device and the keyboard remain paired. The keyboard will only reconnect to the paired mobile device. To break pairing press <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn> for approximately 1 second or until the green LED flashes quickly. Normally, you'd only need to do this to use the keyboard with another device.
    If you break pairing by pressing <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn>, you will have to re-establish pairing.

Notes on the keyboard status light:

When the keyboard is open there is a light above the <T> key that indicates the status of the keyboard.

- When the keyboard status light flashes a fast green light (approx. once per second) it is in Discoverable mode. This is the state that allows it to be detected by the mobile device. To place the keyboard in Discoverable mode, use the <Ctrl> <Left Fn> <Right Fn> key combination.

- When keyboard status light flashes a slow green light (approx. once every four seconds) it is connected to the mobile device and is available for use.

- When the keyboard status light is solid red for 5 seconds after power on, the batteries must be replaced before the keyboard can resume normal operation.

- When the keyboard is not connected to the mobile device, the status light is dark. This happens when a connection or reconnection has not been established or the connection has been broken.
    Hey, Android2k -- It looks like you're having the same errors I was having with the same keyboard. (Yes, ol' XTBT01 is still the best out there. I even keep a couple of spares on hand just in case...) But the original version of Mike's app from January works fine for me. If this is kosher (is it?), I could send you that .apk for you to try.

--Alan