[Q] kindle 6.3.3 how to root?

Search This thread

AviatorDave

Sep 21, 2008
Use Kindle Fire Utility to root.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk

I've been trying last night and today, and it won't work. The version is 6.3.3. Drivers are fine, shows up as Android Composite ADB Interface in device manager on windows 7. I can access the Kindle as a drive on my PC. When I run Kindle Fire Utility 0.9.9, it reports

ADB Status: Online
Boot Status: Unknown.

If I try to either manually set fastboot with option 1 Bootmode Menu, or try to "Install Permanent Root with Superuser" option 2, it has

Installing Permanent Root
Activating Fastboot (4002)

5090 KB/s (510876 bytes in 0.09x) then this:
couldn't write bp1, panic!

finds twrp.img, and downloads fff.bin. Then the kindle reboots, KFU says "Installing FFF..." and <waiting for device>.

But then does nothing, even after I swipe the lock and go back into file transfer mode on the kindle.

Anything I try to do reports "couldn't write bp1, panic!" on KFU. I have another kindle that rooted fine, this one just refuses to.

Any ideas?

Jul 6, 2011
I've been trying last night and today, and it won't work. The version is 6.3.3. Drivers are fine, shows up as Android Composite ADB Interface in device manager on windows 7. I can access the Kindle as a drive on my PC. When I run Kindle Fire Utility 0.9.9, it reports

ADB Status: Online
Boot Status: Unknown.

If I try to either manually set fastboot with option 1 Bootmode Menu, or try to "Install Permanent Root with Superuser" option 2, it has

Installing Permanent Root
Activating Fastboot (4002)

5090 KB/s (510876 bytes in 0.09x) then this:
couldn't write bp1, panic!

finds twrp.img, and downloads fff.bin. Then the kindle reboots, KFU says "Installing FFF..." and <waiting for device>.

But then does nothing, even after I swipe the lock and go back into file transfer mode on the kindle.

Anything I try to do reports "couldn't write bp1, panic!" on KFU. I have another kindle that rooted fine, this one just refuses to.

Any ideas?

You have another kindle that has 6.3.3 that rooted with no issues? Just curious. Planning on rooting mine as well and looking for any insight as I don't want to brick my device since it updated to 6.3.3 on me.

AviatorDave

Sep 21, 2008
You have another kindle that has 6.3.3 that rooted with no issues? Just curious. Planning on rooting mine as well and looking for any insight as I don't want to brick my device since it updated to 6.3.3 on me.

Yes, I actually had 2 of them that rooted fine. They are all KF HD 7" First Generation. This one just won't. I'm now working with the KF First Aide tool kit, and I now get SU: ACCESS DENIED or something like that. Communication with ADB is fine, there's a permission issue somewhere I can't figure out.

Rob251

Jun 18, 2014
Rooting Kindle running 6.3.3

so you have successfully rooted a kindle fire hd running 6.3.3? I have spent all day trying to figure out how to root mine and install a version of jelly bean. Could you point me in the direction of what versions of jellybean/kindle fire utility to use? i have tried using kf utility 0.9.9 and i have the same issue as you where it says the device is online but the boot status is unknown. Thx for the help.

Last edited:

AviatorDave

Sep 21, 2008
so you have successfully rooted a kindle fire hd running 6.3.3? I have spent all day trying to figure out how to root mine and install a version of jelly bean. Could you point me in the direction of what versions of jellybean/kindle fire utility to use? i have tried using kf utility 0.9.9 and i have the same issue as you where it says the device is online but the boot status is unknown. Thx for the help.

Awww crapola. Nevermind. All I knew was that both of them were on 6.3.3, so I thought that was what they've always been on. Bzzzzt. The one that was working still has the adw launcher installed, but it doesn't have root any more. So THAT'S why KFU doesn't work on this new one.

They are my girlfriend's kids' kindles, and I told her not to ever update them, but I guess this one was pushed out.

So.... how long until theres a root kit for 6.3.3?

Rob251

Jun 18, 2014
Awww crapola. Nevermind. All I knew was that both of them were on 6.3.3, so I thought that was what they've always been on. Bzzzzt. The one that was working still has the adw launcher installed, but it doesn't have root any more. So THAT'S why KFU doesn't work on this new one.

They are my girlfriend's kids' kindles, and I told her not to ever update them, but I guess this one was pushed out.

So.... how long until theres a root kit for 6.3.3?

Hopefully soon, i heard towelroot this new program/website that roots a bunch of devices may work. have you heard anything about it? i dont want to brick my kindle.

AviatorDave

Sep 21, 2008
Hopefully soon, i heard towelroot this new program/website that roots a bunch of devices may work. have you heard anything about it? i dont want to brick my kindle.

Didn't brick it, but didn't work either. The apk installs just fine, but when I click the "make it rain" button that says the device will reboot, nothing happens. The device does not reboot, and is not rooted. I tried rebooting the kindle and trying again with the same result. I guess I now fit the definition of insanity.

AviatorDave

Sep 21, 2008
Didn't brick it, but didn't work either. The apk installs just fine, but when I click the "make it rain" button that says the device will reboot, nothing happens. The device does not reboot, and is not rooted. I tried rebooting the kindle and trying again with the same result. I guess I now fit the definition of insanity.

And... tried V2 of towelroot this morning. Still no worky-worky.

Somebody get a straitjacket.

Max-ML

Dec 2, 2011
Old rooting methods not working yah...

What I have done -
1. fastboot using factory cable
2. install TWRP+FFF with KFU
3.flash modified pre-rooted ROM

If Amazon continues updating 1st gen, not sure there are lots of enthusiasts, who would continue rooting it. :) Thus decided to switch to alternative ROM. Well, stock is better for battery etc... etc... but as I do also have HDX and most of time use it, having stock ROM on 1st gen is not as crucial for me.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Old rooting methods not working yah...

What I have done -
    1. fastboot using factory cable
    2. install TWRP+FFF with KFU
    3.flash modified pre-rooted ROM

If Amazon continues updating 1st gen, not sure there are lots of enthusiasts, who would continue rooting it. :) Thus decided to switch to alternative ROM. Well, stock is better for battery etc... etc... but as I do also have HDX and most of time use it, having stock ROM on 1st gen is not as crucial for me.
    Towelroot.com

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    To root new update 6.3.3, you need a fastboot/factory cable, adb/ fastboot.exe files, FFF bootloader.bin, twrp.img, and my prerooted 6.3.3 zip
    Kindle Fire Utility does not work with 6.3.3 update

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk