Voice calls on 3g Nexus 7

Search This thread

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Did you already decompiled Framework-Res.apk and change the bools.xml values to enable telephony and phone?

Regards

Yes, but it doesn't matter. While that hack gets the dialer to function, you still can't place calls. Someone pasted an error log from the radio which shows it not being supported. Whether or not a firmware fix can get around that, or if it's a HW limitation, that's for someone smarter than I to figure out.

smerrill

Oct 31, 2007
Quick question: has anyone who has made the Phone app work tried to set up a SIP account?

I know that's not the same thing as real GSM voice calls, but I'd be curious if getting the Phone app activated also means that SIP calling might work.

Reactions: TheIowaKid

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Quick question: has anyone who has made the Phone app work tried to set up a SIP account?

I know that's not the same thing as real GSM voice calls, but I'd be curious if getting the Phone app activated also means that SIP calling might work.

Not using the native SIP client (which sucks). I have however used the Bria SoftPhone app to place SIP calls successfully over wifi and 3G. I imagine this doesn't help answer your question, but figured I would at least provide what I do know.

TinTin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 12, 2003
Hamburg
mytd2.blogspot.com

You don't need the "phone app", I'm using Zoiper, the best SIP and also IAX client in my eyes with my own Asterisk (VoIP) server. Works great on the Nexus 7 3G. Zoiper is free of charge.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zoiper.android.app&hl=de

hth,
Tin

Last edited:

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Speaking of VoIP/SIP applications, has anyone gotten a bluetooth headset working? I can't. I was able to pair my Plantronics one with the tablet, but under "Profiles", it's blank. On my SGS3 phone, it shows that it supports voice calling. I can't even connect to the headset because there isn't anything to connect for. And even though I chose "Enable Bluetooth" in Bria, I can only use the speakerphone.

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
I'm not sure if I'm stating the obvious here, but I took a gander at the FCC filing. The N7 3g has the intel xmm 6260 chipset. The modem itself supports voice. Also, for those who are gunning for T-mobile's faster hspa+ network....the 6260 is limited to 21 Mbps. I won't cry over that fast of a speed if I ever got it...

Well!!! Someone who knows how to go after info!!!!! I like that.:fingers-crossed:
Thanks for going that extra bit:D

Synman

Recognized Developer
Speaking of VoIP/SIP applications, has anyone gotten a bluetooth headset working? I can't. I was able to pair my Plantronics one with the tablet, but under "Profiles", it's blank. On my SGS3 phone, it shows that it supports voice calling. I can't even connect to the headset because there isn't anything to connect for. And even though I chose "Enable Bluetooth" in Bria, I can only use the speakerphone.

I'm working on it now in sipdroid. The A2DP profile appears to exist as it shows my grom BT adapter for my car bound with both the phone and media audio profiles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

hasafly

Apr 11, 2010
I'm not sure if I'm stating the obvious here, but I took a gander at the FCC filing. The N7 3g has the intel xmm 6260 chipset. The modem itself supports voice. Also, for those who are gunning for T-mobile's faster hspa+ network....the 6260 is limited to 21 Mbps. I won't cry over that fast of a speed if I ever got it...

Yes....Good News!!!!!

Synman

Recognized Developer
Using included ATT 5GB plan and sim

Installed updated framework-res.apk
phone would dial but get a busy signal and a "denied" type image would show up in the contact area of the dialer.

Copied over gsm permissions xml
phone dials and immediately disconnects with "android" disconnect tone

Code:
11-20 03:38:08.262: D/InCallScreen(787): onNewIntent: intent = Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN flg=0x10c40000 cmp=com.android.phone/.InCallScreen }, phone state = OFFHOOK

11-20 03:38:08.272: D/PhoneNumberUtils(787): System property doesn't provide any emergency numbers. Use embedded logic for determining ones.
11-20 03:38:08.282: D/PhoneNumberUtils(787): System property doesn't provide any emergency numbers. Use embedded logic for determining ones.
11-20 03:38:08.382: D/PhoneNumberUtils(787): System property doesn't provide any emergency numbers. Use embedded logic for determining ones.

11-20 03:38:08.422: D/CallNotifier(787): onDisconnect: cause = ERROR_UNSPECIFIED, incoming = false, date = 1353400688153
11-20 03:38:08.432: D/CallNotifier(787): SignalInfoTonePlayer.run(toneId = 98)...
11-20 03:38:08.432: D/PhoneNumberUtils(787): System property doesn't provide any emergency numbers. Use embedded logic for determining ones.
11-20 03:38:08.432: D/CallNotifier(787): InCallTonePlayer.run(toneId = 4)...

hasafly

Apr 11, 2010
Using included ATT 5GB plan and sim

Installed updated framework-res.apk
phone would dial but get a busy signal and a "denied" type image would show up in the contact area of the dialer.

Copied over gsm permissions xml
phone dials and immediately disconnects with "android" disconnect tone

Code:
11-20 03:38:08.262: D/InCallScreen(787): onNewIntent: intent = Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN flg=0x10c40000 cmp=com.android.phone/.InCallScreen }, phone state = OFFHOOK

11-20 03:38:08.272: D/PhoneNumberUtils(787): System property doesn't provide any emergency numbers. Use embedded logic for determining ones.
11-20 03:38:08.282: D/PhoneNumberUtils(787): System property doesn't provide any emergency numbers. Use embedded logic for determining ones.
11-20 03:38:08.382: D/PhoneNumberUtils(787): System property doesn't provide any emergency numbers. Use embedded logic for determining ones.

11-20 03:38:08.422: D/CallNotifier(787): onDisconnect: cause = ERROR_UNSPECIFIED, incoming = false, date = 1353400688153
11-20 03:38:08.432: D/CallNotifier(787): SignalInfoTonePlayer.run(toneId = 98)...
11-20 03:38:08.432: D/PhoneNumberUtils(787): System property doesn't provide any emergency numbers. Use embedded logic for determining ones.
11-20 03:38:08.432: D/CallNotifier(787): InCallTonePlayer.run(toneId = 4)...

What did you change on "framework-res.apk"? Bools.xml values? Which ones?

Did you tried to make a voice call with stock Phone apk?

How did you decompile framework-res.apk?? I tried to do it, but allways get some java errors.....i did it with apktool.jar, but no success.

Can you put here a small "How To"??

Regards

Last edited:

Nic091

Nov 15, 2012
What did you change on "framework-res.apk"? Bools.xml values? Which ones?

Did you tried to make a voice call with stock Phone apk?

How did you decompile framework-res.apk?? I tried to do it, but allways get some java errors.....i did it with apktool.jar, but no success.

Can you put here a small "How To"??

Regards

A "how to" would be nice :)

For the decompiling error, i think it's because we are in 4.2, so you can't do it with the last released apktool. you 'll need to compile the working version of apktool or wait for a stable one : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1755243&page=92

Last edited:

kRt_uK

Apr 7, 2009
Guys, because you dont read the thread we are runing in circles.
This job was done, look page 12.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida

computerking

Jun 17, 2012
THis is a good amount of testing and work being done. Somehow it makes me want to sugest that you guys go ask to help out the Cyanogen Mod crew or AOKP to add the functionality to a ROM when you're done...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    People, you are getting out off the topic.

We are talking about Voice Calls on N7 3G. Not about shiping times and dates... Ok ?

Regards
    Im pretty sure you will need to change the framework-res.apk .. decompile it and find the bools.xml and change voice_enabled to true, I did that and was able to add a sip account and make calls over my bluetooth headset.. it isn't perfect but works 90% of the time. Might allow the 3g to work though.

I had a utility that would allow you to decompile the framework and then would recompile it and sign it. Then you would install the update.zip via CWM to update the changed framework-res.

Some one could try it .. once i set voice_enabled to true the native dialer popped up with no need to install any additional apk's
    I just recompiled the framework file from the previous page. What version was it taken from (I don't have the 3g n7 myself)?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

The Framework was from the latest update JOP40C

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

OK, I have installed the revised Framework,

ON THE PLUS SIDE

Now have a Phone App that can be accessed

ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE

Still Cannot Make or Take Calls ;-(

If you attempt an outbound call it single bleeps as soon as the number is dialled and the call does not go through

Trying to dial into the Nexus 7, the originating phone calls for 30 secs and then goes to Voicemail, whereas if the sim is not in the nexus it goes straight to voicemail, so the network knows the sim is active
    attached is the modded file. unzip the attached file. backup current file on the device and replace with this file. make sure you backup your current file first!!!

do NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.