[Q] Question about returning phone

Search This thread

snowcamo

Jun 12, 2007
Hey guys I need to return my phone to be fixed, but have a slight problem. The firmware is all stock except for when it boots up it says it is a GT-I9100. This is left from a previous flash that I did, but I went back to stock and never bothered to fix that, because it didn't really bug me. Now my phone won't recognize a charger or any usb plugs. My question is will Samsung/AT&T still accept my phone for replacement with this? If not is there anyway I can fix the boot screen without plugging my phone in? Thanks guys sorry for the noob question, but I am not really sure what to do and this is kind of a specific problem, so I couldn't find anything in the search. Once again really appreciate any help!

Reactions: J-Wall

crusecontrl

Oct 4, 2010
Seattle
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Play dumb and say it's always said that you didn't know the model number of your phone was a 727 lol

*** No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. ***

karate104

Nov 5, 2011
As long as you root it, you can use Mobile Odin. Not like it matters anyway, you just need to get rid of the GT-I9100 and then flash back to stock again, thus eliminating root.

Did Odin one-click back to stock not work for you? Because it sounds like you might have flashed I9100 bootloaders and flashing I777 bootloaders should fix it (which if I'm not mkstaken, the one click does include). Someone correct me on both points if I'm wrong , I'm simply conjecturing.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

snowcamo

Jun 12, 2007
It would be great if I could just flash the bootloaders, but I can't connect my phone to my computer :(

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Some folks have reported that they could get their phone to connect via usb after cleaning the usb port with alcohol. Have you tried that?

snowcamo

Jun 12, 2007
Some folks have reported that they could get their phone to connect via usb after cleaning the usb port with alcohol. Have you tried that?

Yea I tried this, didn't work. I could probably get it into download mode, if I borrowed someones battery, but I am not sure why that matters if the computer won't detect it.

snowcamo

Jun 12, 2007
I finally got my phone to connect after cleaning it for like an hour, I just have to hold it at a certain angle. Everytime I try and flash the bootloader I get a fail though, I am using odin 1.8.5 and the bootloader here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18859438&postcount=199. After it fails I have to reflash using the one click no bootloader here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18859438&postcount=199. Is there any one click with the stock bootloaders someone could please link me to? Thanks once again guys

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Both links appear to be the same.
Anyway, why would you flash the bootloader?

karate104

Nov 5, 2011

That was my suggestion, I thought it might be an I9100 bootloader that he flashed which causes the GT-I 9100 to show up on boot, and he wants it back at stock for returning. Again I could be wrong, and of course flashing bootloaders is very dangerous, especially with your faulty USB connection (I didn't know it was faulty when I posted before).

EDIT: Did you ever try rooting so you can go the Mobile Odin route (which would be much safer)?

Last edited:

snowcamo

Jun 12, 2007
That was my suggestion, I thought it might be an I9100 bootloader that he flashed which causes the GT-I 9100 to show up on boot, and he wants it back at stock for returning. Again I could be wrong, and of course flashing bootloaders is very dangerous, especially with your faulty USB connection (I didn't know it was faulty when I posted before).

EDIT: Did you ever try rooting so you can go the Mobile Odin route (which would be much safer)?

No I never tried that, would you recommend that? This is the screen I get when it boots http://img2.garfield.in/images/garfield/logoold_350x583.jpg, but my phone is a sgh-I777. That means it is the wrong bootloader right? Or am I misunderstanding something? Feel so useless haha, thanks guys.

Edit:
Meant to post this for bootloader link http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20229527&postcount=46, and I want to get it back to the stock loader so I can send it in for repair.

Last edited:

karate104

Nov 5, 2011
No I never tried that, would you recommend that? This is the screen I get when it boots http://img2.garfield.in/images/garfield/logoold_350x583.jpg, but my phone is a sgh-I777. That means it is the wrong bootloader right? Or am I misunderstanding something? Feel so useless haha, thanks guys.

I know that's the screen you're referring to, bootloader is just my random guess.

No, don't do that.

You can either use Mobile Odin to remove it, or do a complete Return to Stock using Odin.

Since your USB connection is buggy, and since flashing bootloaders is really dangerous anyway, I'd try this instead. If it doesn't help, let us know.

EDIT: what does your flash counter say when you boot in to download mode?

Last edited:

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
what does your flash counter say when you boot in to download mode?

This first, please. This will tell you which bootloader you currently have.

If the usb connection is lost while the bootloader is flashing, the phone will hard brik, and will require jtag repair to recover, which costs about $50 to $60. Therefore, it is necessary to know what the phone status really is before taking that risk.

If you determine that you really do have the I9100 secondary bootloader, then you put the I777 UCKH7 sbl.tar in the PDA slot of Odin3 v1.85. Or you could flash the I777UCKH7-CL503881 FULL Odin3 One-click Downloader which includes the param.lfs and the secondary bootloader.

Mobile Odin will not flash bootloaders or param.lfs

snowcamo

Jun 12, 2007
This first, please. This will tell you which bootloader you currently have.

If the usb connection is lost while the bootloader is flashing, the phone will hard brik, and will require jtag repair to recover, which costs about $50 to $60. Therefore, it is necessary to know what the phone status really is before taking that risk.

If you determine that you really do have the I9100 secondary bootloader, then you put the I777 UCKH7 sbl.tar in the PDA slot of Odin3 v1.85. Or you could flash the I777UCKH7-CL503881 FULL Odin3 One-click Downloader which includes the param.lfs and the secondary bootloader.

Mobile Odin will not flash bootloaders or param.lfs

Where can I get the full one click? On the download custom binary: no. Samsung official. Model: GT-I9100. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys I need to return my phone to be fixed, but have a slight problem. The firmware is all stock except for when it boots up it says it is a GT-I9100. This is left from a previous flash that I did, but I went back to stock and never bothered to fix that, because it didn't really bug me. Now my phone won't recognize a charger or any usb plugs. My question is will Samsung/AT&T still accept my phone for replacement with this? If not is there anyway I can fix the boot screen without plugging my phone in? Thanks guys sorry for the noob question, but I am not really sure what to do and this is kind of a specific problem, so I couldn't find anything in the search. Once again really appreciate any help!
    No, don't do that.

You can either use Mobile Odin to remove it, or do a complete Return to Stock using Odin.

Can I use Mobile Odin with a stock firmware? Seems like you shouldn't be able to flash your phone from your device.
    So my question is if this is safe to do and will it work?

I highly respect Adam Outler as a developer. He works at a very low level of the phone firmware and knows his stuff. Nevertheless, on our I777, I have seen quite a few people reflash the sbl.tar by itself, in the PDA slot, using Odin3 v1.85, and I have not heard any reports of this causing bricking. Was that quote from our forum, or some other phone?

If you havn't, I'd suggest you flash back to stock as well. UCKH7 will be fine to return the phone. See my guide if you need more info. In the Download Repository, there is a one-click downloader package of the full stock distribution including param.lfs, cache.img and sbl.bin. If you flash that, it would take care of all your issues in getting ready to return the phone.

With the usb port problem, just be aware that the flash can not be interrupted during the sbl or param portion of the flash. That is the main risk of flashing those files.

One final note. Several people have said they returned their phone with an incremented flash counter, and never had a problem.
    Yes, it was a quote from this site, I can't remember which thread, but it was one relating to reflashing the SBL. I just wanted to make sure the official AT&T update didn't include something that would interfere with the solutions I saw that were given for leaked/ICS releases. I know the likelihood of getting burned because of the binary counter is slim.... But I'm also a worrywart sometimes lol. I would just prefer to get it back to factory condition while the port is functional. Once it becomes an issue I'll take it in, get a new one, and then root the tar out if it!

Thanks for the quick reply! Many thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA