Case or Raw Dog?

Search This thread

UnexplainedBacon

Oct 12, 2012
Mount Vernon WA
Simple question. Do you rock a case on the Note 3, or are you running it raw dog style?

I've now tried two cases, the Spigen Neo Hybrid and the UAG. Didnt like the Spigen at all. Love the storm trooper look of the UAG but that thing is nearly impossible to remove and it doubles the thickness of the phone. Plus, as a huge fan of the appearance of the Note3, I'm not sure I'd really like any case at all.

Thinking of throwing a tempered glass protector on the screen and calling it good.

bigmiketn

Sep 19, 2010
Gallatin, TN
I love the look too, but not the feel. The leather appearance of the back looks great but gives very little grip. I have an otterbox defender and that same old patterned belt clip/holster that Verizon has been selling for years with their smartphones. I almost bought that spigen s-view case until I saw pictures of how it cracked one user's screen. I don't really like cases on my phone either but i'm not brave enough to go without a case. Samsung phones have been known to be kinda fragile.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

LeftyGR

Oct 18, 2011
Bloomington, IL
Case. Don't remember who makes it, but it's sturdy.

zyhygy5e.jpg

5emujezu.jpg

It slips over the top and bottom, rather than back/front. So it will not pop off when you drop it.
And it has a kickstand on the back!

<Note3>

VirusZer0

Mar 15, 2010
Pittsburgh

zyhygy5e.jpg

5emujezu.jpg

It slips over the top and bottom, rather than back/front. So it will not pop off when you drop it.

<Note3>

That's a Platinum brand case... sold at Best Buy. They are expensive... The markup is over 90%...employees pay sub $5

Reactions: LeftyGR

LeftyGR

Oct 18, 2011
Bloomington, IL
That's a Platinum brand case... sold at Best Buy. They are expensive... The markup is over 90%...employees pay sub $5

Yeah, I think I paid $30-ish for it. Had one for my last phone, an S3. Dropped it 3 stories off a balcony onto a sidewalk. There was a decent dash on the case, but no phone damage. Definitely worth it.

<Note3>

Reactions: VirusZer0
Aug 6, 2011
Queen City
I love running the Note 3 naked. The only issue is that the back gets slippery at times. I had my first drop today ?. I like my Spigen case, but it's difficult to plug headphones in sometimes.

siciliano777

Nov 5, 2013
I run it naked as well. I'm actually more worried about scratching the display since I haven't dropped a phone in many years (knock on wood!). I've been contemplating getting the S view cover since it doesn't add to the thickness at all, but I use the phone so much it would be such a hassle to keep having to open it (and hold it open while using it).

I'm insanely ocd about the display because it somehow got scratched on my last phone (gnex) like a month after I bought it, just by putting it display side down on a table. It bothered the hell out of me for the following 23 months straight. Scratch resistant my ass.

I've tried a few glass screen protectors but they eventually peel away at the edges and it looks horrible. Suffice to say I'll never put ANY phone display side down again, and I always have a death grip on it when I'm using it...so I'm good to go.

Reactions: bigmiketn

kschmidty17

Dec 17, 2010
Poetic Borderline bumper case because it's just enough protection without getting in the way. And it fits the slightly thicker Samsung wireless charging cover.

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
Spigen Glas-Tr slim to protect the screen and depending on my mood either a TPU or metal bumper. The back is like $10 to replace if it ever gets scratched up so I don't bother putting anything on the back except for a FlyGrip to help me one-hand the phone. I did order a white back so I go back and forth between them - the white back looks cool w a metal bumper.

bigmiketn

Sep 19, 2010
Gallatin, TN
I run it naked as well. I'm actually more worried about scratching the display since I haven't dropped a phone in many years (knock on wood!). I've been contemplating getting the S view cover since it doesn't add to the thickness at all, but I use the phone so much it would be such a hassle to keep having to open it (and hold it open while using it).

I'm insanely ocd about the display because it somehow got scratched on my last phone (gnex) like a month after I bought it, just by putting it display side down on a table. It bothered the hell out of me for the following 23 months straight. Scratch resistant my ass.

I've tried a few glass screen protectors but they eventually peel away at the edges and it looks horrible. Suffice to say I'll never put ANY phone display side down again, and I always have a death grip on it when I'm using it...so I'm good to go.

That phone is why I won't buy anything without gorilla glass again. It got scratched on something in my pocket. Except there wasn't anything in my pocket.

siciliano777

Nov 5, 2013
That phone is why I won't buy anything without gorilla glass again. It got scratched on something in my pocket. Except there wasn't anything in my pocket.

I always thought the gnex had gorilla glass...??? That's why I'm so paranoid about this phone. I know it's obviously a much newer technology as far as the glass, but I'm paranoid nonetheless.

I would love to see a legitimate scratch test done. I could only find one test done and it was with a knife, and wasn't really that clear. When the hell would I ever scratch the display with a knife?!?

They need to do some common sense, real world testing...i.e. putting the phone in and out of jean pockets with the metal rivets on them, and with keys and other objects in the pocket. Also placing it display side down on different surfaces and moving it around, etc.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

zyhygy5e.jpg

5emujezu.jpg

<Note3>

Yeah, I think I paid $30-ish for it. Had one for my last phone, an S3. Dropped it 3 stories off a balcony onto a sidewalk. There was a decent dash on the case, but no phone damage. Definitely worth it.

<Note3>