[Q] Moto X Flash Not Working?

Search This thread

pasta1234

Apr 12, 2011
Hello folks,

I just noticed that my camera app flash and flashlight app don't work. No matter what options are selected the LED wont come on :(

Is there anything should look into before I call them and assume its a hardware failure?

Thanks,
Pete

Jason.DROID

Jan 14, 2012
Hello folks,

I just noticed that my camera app flash and flashlight app don't work. No matter what options are selected the LED wont come on :(

Is there anything should look into before I call them and assume its a hardware failure?

Thanks,
Pete

If you have the tools and are comfortable with it, remove the back and see if the ribbon cable for the flash is correctly installed. Otherwise, you'll need to do a warranty claim through Motorola. Regular white and black Xs you can get from the carrier, but I'm not a fan of refurbs, so I use the manufacturer's warranty at all times when available.

Teksu

Jun 9, 2010
You could try a factory reset first just to be sure, but it sounds like its a hardware problem.

The flash seems like it is an easy thing to replace, some of the replacement backs available on ebay come with them too, so maybe get a wood or different color back for cheap at the same time if you are gonna do it yourself.

Good luck
-Another Pete

pasta1234

Apr 12, 2011
I appreciate all the advice guys...I went ahead and called Moto Support, all they could do was have it sent for evaluation and possible repair since its still under warranty. I tried to offer a credit card as collateral for a new device but they wouldn't go for it...

Not really interested in doing it myself since its only 3 months old, never dropped or anything, very frustrating.

Does anyone have experience with Moto's turn around time ? This is my primary phone not sure how i am going to do this :(

Pete

sosleadgtr

Aug 1, 2011
I appreciate all the advice guys...I went ahead and called Moto Support, all they could do was have it sent for evaluation and possible repair since its still under warranty. I tried to offer a credit card as collateral for a new device but they wouldn't go for it...

Not really interested in doing it myself since its only 3 months old, never dropped or anything, very frustrating.

Does anyone have experience with Moto's turn around time ? This is my primary phone not sure how i am going to do this :(

Pete

Weird, my Moto X led flash isn't working either. I've had it only a couple weeks, and it worked fine initially, but now it's not. I also haven't dropped it or anything. I wonder if it is a common issue.

pasta1234

Apr 12, 2011
Very Weird, maybe some update screwed something up ?

Does anyone know if there is a way of enabling the LED without the use of the typical apps to verify if its working ?

Pete

Weird, my Moto X led flash isn't working either. I've had it only a couple weeks, and it worked fine initially, but now it's not. I also haven't dropped it or anything. I wonder if it is a common issue.

pasta1234

Apr 12, 2011
Just as an update, I took my phone inside the dry sauna and the flash worked, perhaps the heat had something to do with it.. Definitely not a software issue now.

As soon as it cooled off the, the flash stopped working again.

I've filed a repair claim, let's see what happens now..

Pete

Sent from my XT1053 using xda app-developers app

bkoltai9

Nov 1, 2014
My Verizon DE XT1060 started having a flash issue about a month ago. First time it looked like it was barely flickering and giving off no real light with a flashlight app, and same for camera flash. It came back on after a few minutes. Second time a couple weeks ago it was off for a couple hours, and I started filling out a repair form online, but as I pressed on it a little bit, it came back on. I got on their customer support chat and told what was going on and the support person told me to factory reset if it happens again to see if its software or hardware. Last night it lost function again and was off all day today. I reset to stock recovery and unrooted and tried to relock (no success) but the LED flash remained useless. I got on tech support chat again and was told they'd replace it under warranty with a "like new" same device. I haven't completely set it up yet, but afterward I squeezed the light firmly with my hand and it came back on. Obviously a loose circuit or something. I don't know if i should get the replacement or keep it.

pasta1234

Apr 12, 2011
I eventually had mine taken care of by Motorola support and it took them several tries. My advice is to make it obvious that it is intermittent and to take pictures of its condition before shipping.

If it under warranty they should handle it but be prepared for the process....

pete

My Verizon DE XT1060 started having a flash issue about a month ago. First time it looked like it was barely flickering and giving off no real light with a flashlight app, and same for camera flash. It came back on after a few minutes. Second time a couple weeks ago it was off for a couple hours, and I started filling out a repair form online, but as I pressed on it a little bit, it came back on. I got on their customer support chat and told what was going on and the support person told me to factory reset if it happens again to see if its software or hardware. Last night it lost function again and was off all day today. I reset to stock recovery and unrooted and tried to relock (no success) but the LED flash remained useless. I got on tech support chat again and was told they'd replace it under warranty with a "like new" same device. I haven't completely set it up yet, but afterward I squeezed the light firmly with my hand and it came back on. Obviously a loose circuit or something. I don't know if i should get the replacement or keep it.