[APP] Ken - A Magazine for programmers

Search This thread

mlakkadshaw

Jul 23, 2013
App Updated

The latest update include:
1. New Black Theme / Night mode
2. Bug Fixes (Fixed bug pointed out by xda member blazingwolf)
3. Fixed the bug which was causing crashes on some articles
4. Performance improvements.

Google Play: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mohammedlakkadshaw.ken
APK: Check the attachment

------------
Hi Guys,
I have developed an app called as Ken, it is a magazine for programmers, you have to select your interest e.g (Node, Python, Javascript, Android etc.) and it will show you all the latest news, tutorial, articles etc. related to them.

Currently Topics:
  1. Android
  2. Javascript
  3. Python
  4. PHP
  5. Ruby
  6. Java
  7. UI/UX (Mobile and Web Design)

Features
  • Ability to Zoom-in and Zoom-out
  • Share Articles
  • View in browser

Tell me how did you like the app and how could I improve it, thanks!

Download Links

Attachments

• Ken.apk
    793.6 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

deathblade

Dec 19, 2011
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus One
Hi Guys,
I have developed an app called as Ken, it is a magazine for programmers, you have to select your interest e.g (Node, Python, Javascript, Android etc.) and it will show you all the latest news, tutorial, articles etc. related to them.

Currently Topics:
  1. Android
  2. Javascript
  3. Python
  4. PHP
  5. Ruby
  6. Java

Features
  • Share Articles
  • View in browser

Download Links

Nice very simple and bright ui following the Google card design very well organized love that the different "interests" are just a wipe away from each other rather than all jumbled up together very nice

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: mlakkadshaw

mlakkadshaw

Jul 23, 2013
Nice very simple and bright ui following the Google card design very well organized love that the different "interests" are just a wipe away from each other rather than all jumbled up together very nice

Thanks! Do you feel that the loading time is very slow? I am loading the title of all the topics at start, if you feel that it takes a lot of time to load then I will do a section wise loading, It will load only when the user moves to that e.g If the users is at javascript and moves to android then at that time it will load android.
Should I do it like that?

Thanks

deathblade

Dec 19, 2011
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus One
Runs great on at s3, though I would like to suggest having tabs for the different categories within each interest, if you like I can see about getting a pic of what I'm talking about together and upload it

mlakkadshaw

Jul 23, 2013
Runs great on at s3, though I would like to suggest having tabs for the different categories within each interest, if you like I can see about getting a pic of what I'm talking about together and upload it

Yea sure, I would love to see the pic, and what categories do you suggest should I put there?
Thanks

deathblade

Dec 19, 2011
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus One
They will be in the pic, I will follow the current theme for it too however I would like to also post a pic of a darker theme for it as well for your consideration of course it will be just a modified pic and I would not be doing any edits to the app it's self

deathblade

Dec 19, 2011
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus One
i was thinking something like this maybe, thought the catagories i have showing are just more or less place holders or if you perfer examples Screenshot_2013-07-23-22-12-09.jpg

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
Looks cool, will give it a try.

Actually, I could use a version for a Desktop. I use Pulse there more than on the phone.

mlakkadshaw

Jul 23, 2013
Thanks!
I am working on a webapp version, which will allow you view this on your desktop/laptop.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

dream707

Jan 10, 2012
Minsk
great app!

some issues:

1. there are some duplicates in all feeds.
2. need more hi-res icon. current looks blurry.
3. sometimes chashes => asks for my feeds again and again

herousr

Dec 13, 2010
nice

I like it. It's a nice app great UI love Holo design. I did notice you aren't decoding the characters in the titles when you display them. Apostrophe's and quotes come out as url encoded. Also if you have the time I'd like to see a dark theme. Personally I just like reading text on a black background better than white. Keep up the good work :]

also +1 for the hi-res icons and filtering duplicates. I hate seeing reposts from blog to blog and such.

blazingwolf

Nov 11, 2006
Trying out the app and I ran into an issue. I tried to open an article on my Verizon GS4 and Ken crashed. What I saw was a black screen for a little bit (about 5 seconds or so) and then Ken reloaded and showed the headers. I have attached the pertinent information for the logcat in the code box.

Code:
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): java.lang.RuntimeException: PARAGRAPH span must start at paragraph boundary
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.text.SpannableStringBuilder.setSpan(SpannableStringBuilder.java:600)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.text.SpannableStringBuilder.setSpan(SpannableStringBuilder.java:588)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.text.HtmlToSpannedConverter.convert(Html.java:461)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.text.Html.fromHtml(Html.java:138)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at com.mohammedlakkadshaw.ken.DetailActivity.renderArticle(DetailActivity.java:183)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at com.mohammedlakkadshaw.ken.DetailActivity$LoadArticle.onPostExecute(DetailActivity.java:326)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at com.mohammedlakkadshaw.ken.DetailActivity$LoadArticle.onPostExecute(DetailActivity.java:1)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.os.AsyncTask.finish(AsyncTask.java:631)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.os.AsyncTask.access$600(AsyncTask.java:177)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.os.AsyncTask$InternalHandler.handleMessage(AsyncTask.java:644)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5328)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1102)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:869)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

First time loading an article took quite some time and there was no way to tell if Ken was working or had crashed again. So I would suggest a loading symbol if it takes a bit to get the article.

Some articles are truncated. There might be nothing you can do about this but there is no link to the full article (I've noticed this in the Java category) so I can't read the rest of the article and have no idea where the article is coming from. On the articles that are truncated the full screen of the device is not used to show the article. So, if I zoom in on the text I can fill up about half of the screen and then the article gets cut off.

Please add a dark theme. I think that will look much nicer with your chosen color.

Thanks for making the app. Really good idea and something I will use quite often. :D

mlakkadshaw

Jul 23, 2013
Trying out the app and I ran into an issue. I tried to open an article on my Verizon GS4 and Ken crashed. What I saw was a black screen for a little bit (about 5 seconds or so) and then Ken reloaded and showed the headers. I have attached the pertinent information for the logcat in the code box.

Code:
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): java.lang.RuntimeException: PARAGRAPH span must start at paragraph boundary
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.text.SpannableStringBuilder.setSpan(SpannableStringBuilder.java:600)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.text.SpannableStringBuilder.setSpan(SpannableStringBuilder.java:588)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.text.HtmlToSpannedConverter.convert(Html.java:461)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at com.mohammedlakkadshaw.ken.DetailActivity.renderArticle(DetailActivity.java:183)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at com.mohammedlakkadshaw.ken.DetailActivity$LoadArticle.onPostExecute(DetailActivity.java:326)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at com.mohammedlakkadshaw.ken.DetailActivity$LoadArticle.onPostExecute(DetailActivity.java:1)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.os.AsyncTask.access$600(AsyncTask.java:177)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.os.AsyncTask$InternalHandler.handleMessage(AsyncTask.java:644)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5328)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1102)
E/AndroidRuntime(22461): 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:869)

First time loading an article took quite some time and there was no way to tell if Ken was working or had crashed again. So I would suggest a loading symbol if it takes a bit to get the article.

Some articles are truncated. There might be nothing you can do about this but there is no link to the full article (I've noticed this in the Java category) so I can't read the rest of the article and have no idea where the article is coming from. On the articles that are truncated the full screen of the device is not used to show the article. So, if I zoom in on the text I can fill up about half of the screen and then the article gets cut off.

Please add a dark theme. I think that will look much nicer with your chosen color.

Thanks for making the app. Really good idea and something I will use quite often. :D

Thanks for pointing out the errors, I will fix them asap. I found a way to prevent the truncation, but for that I'll have to switch to EC2, I will do it in a couple of days, and then you can see all the articles in full view.
You can try "view in browser" to view the truncated article for now.

Thanks again. :)

mlakkadshaw

Jul 23, 2013
I like it. It's a nice app great UI love Holo design. I did notice you aren't decoding the characters in the titles when you display them. Apostrophe's and quotes come out as url encoded. Also if you have the time I'd like to see a dark theme. Personally I just like reading text on a black background better than white. Keep up the good work :]

also +1 for the hi-res icons and filtering duplicates. I hate seeing reposts from blog to blog and such.

I will add the dark background in the next update, and I will look into the decoding errors. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    App Updated

The latest update include:
    1. New Black Theme / Night mode
    2. Bug Fixes (Fixed bug pointed out by xda member blazingwolf)
    3. Fixed the bug which was causing crashes on some articles
    4. Performance improvements.

------------
    Hi Guys,

Currently Topics:
    1. Android
    2. Javascript
    3. Python
    4. PHP
    5. Ruby
    6. Java

Features
    • Share Articles
    • View in browser

Download Links
    Hi Guys,

Currently Topics:
    1. Android
    2. Javascript
    3. Python
    4. PHP
    5. Ruby
    6. Java

Features
    • Share Articles
    • View in browser

Download Links

Nice app.. Complete topics.. Especially UI and UX..
    Thanks.. Looking forward on this..

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium
    nice

Code: