Question about Rooting FP5

Search This thread

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Ok, I am on FP5, I guess I lost CWM, can I just flash Imnuts CWM With odin?, and how can I root it?

Here you go:(taken from my thread)
5. How to root a pure stock FP1 and make CWM stick after reboot - Turn off your phone, use ODIN to flash CWM (0302 blue latest version - http://imnuts.net/zU2jkn) with "reboot" option unchecked,
After completed, disconnect the usb cable, pull the battery, reinstall battery, hold down volume up+home+power to boot into cwm,
(if you failed to boot into cwm and your phone boot up you have to redo the process). Now flash Super user package zip (Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip - and su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip (both can be download from here (look for Gingerbread) : http://androidsu.com/superuser/
Reboot phone. Use Root explore (or Root browser lite or ES file explorer) go to /system/ect/install-recovery.sh script, tab on mount R/W button (upper top). Long press on the script and in the popup menu, select permission, unchecked all permission then save the file.
Shutdown phone, re-Odin cwm again, once done reboot, now cwm should stick. Once phone came up, to verify root on your phone, you can download "root checker basic" from the Market. If you have issue, download "superuser update fixer" app from the market and run it.(no reboot required). That's it.

Reactions: jorge3687

jorge3687

Sep 14, 2010
www.jcstudio.us
Just to add to this very helpfull Post, this are the problems I run into and how I fixed them so that if anyone comes up with the same issues, you have the solution:

1. Flashing CWM with odin was failing, I changed usb port, I rebooted the computer, and the problem was that I was doing it without the battery, as soon as I put the battery in the phone and tried odin, it was succesfull, so, what I think is that there is not enough power to the phone just using the usb cable and that is why it was failing to flash.

2. after I flashed superuser and su-bin files, rebooted the phone, but as soon as my phone was on, and connected to the internet, for some reason, the phone automatically downloaded and updated this two files, so I could not change the recovery sh script, my solution, disabled data, reflash cwm, and the root files, then I was able to change the permissions of the file.

I AM NOW ROOTED!!!! thanks buhohitr

Reactions: yourbrokenoven

jorge3687

Sep 14, 2010
www.jcstudio.us
ok, now I lost root, for some reason, I installed titanium backup and the app told me the phone is not rooted, I used the superuser update fixer and it says that it cannot fix the root, that I need to download and uptaded update.zip, what can I do?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
ok, now I lost root, for some reason, I installed titanium backup and the app told me the phone is not rooted, I used the superuser update fixer and it says that it cannot fix the root, that I need to download and uptaded update.zip, what can I do?

Did you mount /system before you flash the superuser zip? if not boot into cwm, mount, then flash superuser zip file.
Edit: Also verify that you do have root by other methods, I heard the current of Titanium backup having issue.

Last edited:

jorge3687

Sep 14, 2010
www.jcstudio.us
Did you mount /system before you flash the superuser zip? if not boot into cwm, mount, then flash superuser zip file.
Edit: Also verify that you do have root by other methods, I heard the current of Titanium backup having issue.

There were some problems with the instructions: the steps you gave me were to install legacy super user files, which gave me temporary root only, and yes I mounted system in CWM, also the original thread has some confusing directions, such as downloading the whole package for ARM, and then stating to get the legacy 3.0.7-efghi signed, which is a contradiction, it is one or the other.

this is what I did and all works perfect:
1. download this two files and put them on your sd card http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip

3. MOUNT /SYSTEM in CWM and flash the two files

4. Reboot and verify root with root checker basic, this is all you have to do!!!

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
There were some problems with the instructions: the steps you gave me were to install legacy super user files, which gave me temporary root only, and yes I mounted system in CWM, also the original thread has some confusing directions, such as downloading the whole package for ARM, and then stating to get the legacy 3.0.7-efghi signed, which is a contradiction, it is one or the other.

this is what I did and all works perfect:
1. download this two files and put them on your sd card http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip

http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip

3. MOUNT /SYSTEM in CWM and flash the two files

4. Reboot and verify root with root checker basic, this is all you have to do!!!

Nice! glad you got it working.

yourbrokenoven

Nov 21, 2011
I have the same question. I don't really know how to root. I've always just flashed an already rooted rom via Odin. I don't truly know how to root on my own.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

I have the same question. I don't really know how to root. I've always just flashed an already rooted rom via Odin. I don't truly know how to root on my own.

I see all the replies with answers now. Don't know why they weren't there before.

jorge3687

Sep 14, 2010
www.jcstudio.us

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 AM ----------

I see all the replies with answers now. Don't know why they weren't there before.

well, since I could not get help from the experts, I just did it myself and wrote the process for other people to make it easier.

yourbrokenoven

Nov 21, 2011
Okay, this method only gives me root temporarily. Once I reboot again, I no longer have root. Going back into recovery... Clockwork mod is gone! Back to stock recovery!

Any ideas? Can't find anything helpful on the forums via search.

jorge3687

Sep 14, 2010
www.jcstudio.us
read back the first posts, there is the solution

[QUOTE=yourbrokenoven;31313626]Okay, this method only gives me root temporarily. Once I reboot again, I no longer have root. Going back into recovery... Clockwork mod is gone! Back to stock recovery!

Any ideas? Can't find anything helpful on the forums via search.[/QUOTE]

yourbrokenoven

Nov 21, 2011
read back the first posts, there is the solution

[QUOTE=yourbrokenoven;31313626]Okay, this method only gives me root temporarily. Once I reboot again, I no longer have root. Going back into recovery... Clockwork mod is gone! Back to stock recovery!

Any ideas? Can't find anything helpful on the forums via search.
[/QUOTE]

I had already tried the above without success. CWM was overwritten each time. There was another file to delete as well somewhere in system/ect which was also supposed to prevent recovery overwriting,mbut that solution proved just as fruitless.

I got itt working through trial and error, though. As it turns out, recovery actually UNmounts system after you flash a single file, so you must REmount after each if you are flashing multiple files. I do not see this "feature" explained anywhere. Maybe this is something fundamental about Linux which has escaped me over the years of android phone ownership.

Thank you for trying to help me even though.

shrike1978

Jun 28, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It unmounts for safety reasons, and it's done by the package itself, not the recovery by default. You don't want power to be pulled from a filesystem in unix when it's mounted. The real issue isn't the unmount, but the mount itself seems wonky on this phone, so depending on how the CWM package is written, there's a good chance it won't be successful when it tries to mount the filesystems. It's better to mount them yourself if you're working with a package that wasn't specifically written with this phone in mind, and you even need to mount on some that are.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It unmounts for safety reasons, and it's done by the package itself, not the recovery by default. You don't want power to be pulled from a filesystem in unix when it's mounted. The real issue isn't the unmount, but the mount itself seems wonky on this phone, so depending on how the CWM package is written, there's a good chance it won't be successful when it tries to mount the filesystems. It's better to mount them yourself if you're working with a package that wasn't specifically written with this phone in mind, and you even need to mount on some that are.
    Ok, I am on FP5, I guess I lost CWM, can I just flash Imnuts CWM With odin?, and how can I root it?

*sigh* look around...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

Here you go:(taken from my thread)
    5. How to root a pure stock FP1 and make CWM stick after reboot - Turn off your phone, use ODIN to flash CWM (0302 blue latest version - http://imnuts.net/zU2jkn) with "reboot" option unchecked,
    After completed, disconnect the usb cable, pull the battery, reinstall battery, hold down volume up+home+power to boot into cwm,
    (if you failed to boot into cwm and your phone boot up you have to redo the process). Now flash Super user package zip (Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip - and su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip (both can be download from here (look for Gingerbread) : http://androidsu.com/superuser/
    Reboot phone. Use Root explore (or Root browser lite or ES file explorer) go to /system/ect/install-recovery.sh script, tab on mount R/W button (upper top). Long press on the script and in the popup menu, select permission, unchecked all permission then save the file.
    Shutdown phone, re-Odin cwm again, once done reboot, now cwm should stick. Once phone came up, to verify root on your phone, you can download "root checker basic" from the Market. If you have issue, download "superuser update fixer" app from the market and run it.(no reboot required). That's it.
    Wow great help with links and everything thanks a lot

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium
    Just to add to this very helpfull Post, this are the problems I run into and how I fixed them so that if anyone comes up with the same issues, you have the solution:

1. Flashing CWM with odin was failing, I changed usb port, I rebooted the computer, and the problem was that I was doing it without the battery, as soon as I put the battery in the phone and tried odin, it was succesfull, so, what I think is that there is not enough power to the phone just using the usb cable and that is why it was failing to flash.

2. after I flashed superuser and su-bin files, rebooted the phone, but as soon as my phone was on, and connected to the internet, for some reason, the phone automatically downloaded and updated this two files, so I could not change the recovery sh script, my solution, disabled data, reflash cwm, and the root files, then I was able to change the permissions of the file.

I AM NOW ROOTED!!!! thanks buhohitr