[ROM][AOSP] [Nightly/Release] CarbonRom JB [xt897/xt897c]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

palmwangja

Feb 20, 2008
[Q] is Carbon okay with pulling out a phone number ?

CM has been always problematic in retrieving my own phone number from the SIM and show it in the settings - about phone, and this causes some program not to launch unfortunately.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=886878

I just found out that CM10 on photon Q was not that different, and this is somehow a deal breaker for me.

I don't know why this is happening, and want to know if Carbon is good at this. :highfive:

Last edited:

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
CM has been always problematic in retrieving my own phone number from the SIM and show it in the settings - about phone, and this causes some program not to launch unfortunately.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=886878

I just found out that CM10 on photon Q was not that different, and this is somehow a deal breaker for me.

I don't know why this is happening, and want to know if Carbon is good at this. :highfive:

As you know, I have no way of testing this... I don't have a SIM lol. Why don't you test it and tell us?

How much is the device repository different between Carbon / CM10.1? Just carbon.mk? Also, arrrghhh, can you check the razrqcom xt897c repo and tell me what needs exactly updating: https://github.com/razrqcom-dev-team/android_device_motorola_xt897c ?

Yea, there's not a whole lot of difference between the CM10.1 and Carbon device tree's.

I also had to apply those frameworks/base hacks which you applied to CM, in order to get keyboard light etc working.

galacticservant

Mar 2, 2013
San Diego
Okay, so I did a clean install of Carbon and noticed a few issues. I don't know if it's isolated to my device or not, but before I could even use the ROM the first screen asked me for the PUK. Okay, so I had to go back to install recovery of JB and retrieve it. Reflashed Carbon and system was up and running fine. However, I went to make a phone call it dropped after 2 seconds. Then the 4G indicator came up (no 4G in this area) and it was greyed out. No calls, no texts. Huh...went to call settings and chose CDMA only, same problem. Any ideas?
Currently back to stock JB and all is fine.
Sent from my XT897 using xda premium

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Okay, so I did a clean install of Carbon and noticed a few issues. I don't know if it's isolated to my device or not, but before I could even use the ROM the first screen asked me for the PUK. Okay, so I had to go back to install recovery of JB and retrieve it. Reflashed Carbon and system was up and running fine. However, I went to make a phone call it dropped after 2 seconds. Then the 4G indicator came up (no 4G in this area) and it was greyed out. No calls, no texts. Huh...went to call settings and chose CDMA only, same problem. Any ideas?
Currently back to stock JB and all is fine.

I have booted this ROM fresh several times... I can't say I have ever had the issues you describe.

I don't even know what a PUK is... you should not need to make any changes - I flash Carbon and literally everything works out of the box. Wifi, data, cell service...

You said you installed clean, so I assume that means you did a factory wipe? If not, make sure you wipe data/cache/dalvik-cache.

Otherwise, I am not sure what the issue could be. Please provide some logs.

galacticservant

Mar 2, 2013
San Diego
I have booted this ROM fresh several times... I can't say I have ever had the issues you describe.

I don't even know what a PUK is... you should not need to make any changes - I flash Carbon and literally everything works out of the box. Wifi, data, cell service...

You said you installed clean, so I assume that means you did a factory wipe? If not, make sure you wipe data/cache/dalvik-cache.

Otherwise, I am not sure what the issue could be. Please provide some logs.

Since I have reflashed back to JB for now, where would I find any relevant logs? If needed I'll flash back to Carbon to get them...also, the PUK, or PUC, is a PIN unlocked key. It's a code set by the carrier so if I ever lost my pin code for screen unlock I can default to the PUK. Funny though, I had never set my screen lock, oh well. But my main issue remains for the call and text functions, which were not working, and the 4G symbol that appeared greyed out with the signal strength bars down to zero.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

And yes, I not only did a factory wipe, but even wiped dalvik and cache 3x after for good measure. I just flashed it again, and reproduced the same exact problem described above. So where can I retrieve a log?

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Interesting though that I am still able to download via mobile data connection even though calls and texts do not work. I'll download aLogcat and get a log, is that the type you need!?
/dev/main/log?

Last edited:

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Since I have reflashed back to JB for now, where would I find any relevant logs? If needed I'll flash back to Carbon to get them...also, the PUK, or PUC, is a PIN unlocked key. It's a code set by the carrier so if I ever lost my pin code for screen unlock I can default to the PUK. Funny though, I had never set my screen lock, oh well. But my main issue remains for the call and text functions, which were not working, and the 4G symbol that appeared greyed out with the signal strength bars down to zero.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

And yes, I not only did a factory wipe, but even wiped dalvik and cache 3x after for good measure. I just flashed it again, and reproduced the same exact problem described above. So where can I retrieve a log?

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Interesting though that I am still able to download via mobile data connection even though calls and texts do not work. I'll download aLogcat and get a log, is that the type you need!?
/dev/main/log?

Wait, you can download via mobile data?

What you describe makes no sense whatsoever... with your penchant for hacking things, did you make any changes whatsoever?

If you can download via mobile data, your cell radio is definitely working. I re-read through this thread, and I could not find one instance of anyone having these issues.

I would be curious what #*#*INFO*#*# says.

I'm not sure why you would wipe 3x. This is my process for flashing, so far it has not failed me:
1. Download ROM & Gapps
2. Reboot to recovery
3. Sideload ROM, sideload Gapps
4. Factory reset/wipe. Basically wipes /data without wiping /data/media. This also wipes cache and dalvik-cache for obvious reasons.

People have flashed from all sorts of different states - so I don't see how that would matter, but maybe try starting from square one and flash the FXZ. I do not understand how anything you changed would be leftover, but you are experiencing issues unique to your device.

As for logs - logcat is always necessary. In this case I would like to see a radio logcat. Dmesg never hurts, but probably will not be useful in this case.

galacticservant

Mar 2, 2013
San Diego
Okay, some weird stuff happening...I flashed normally this time. When Carbon first loaded the 3G symbol came up blue, and all seemed good. As soon as I utilized the data connection in any way, it turned grey and the connection failed. This means browser, Play, Email setup, whatever. But, the radio worked for calls and text. I rebooted the device and when the OS came back on the same, blue at first, then grey and no connection. So needless to say I couldn't download aLogcat. Back to JB. I tried to upload some screenshots, but for some reason upload fails every time to XDA, has for days now. I'll flash the Stock JB update and try this from a fresh start, see what happens. Crap.

Skrilax_CZ

Dec 20, 2009
@arrrghhh: It would be good to update your repost (scratch the current xt897c and for msm8960-common, xt897 and xt897c from CM10.1 and apply Carbon changes). That way you can just keep merging them as things get fixed.

UnicronAlpha99

Sep 24, 2010
Loving this rom so far man, thank you for porting it and keeping it up to date!

Sent from my Motorola Photon Q LTE using xda app-developers app

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Has anyone tried NFC? I can't seem to enable it or download any NFC apps.

Appears I did not enable it.. hah! There are separate device trees right now for CDMA & GSM, and I missed NFC it seems, thanks!

@arrrghhh: It would be good to update your repost (scratch the current xt897c and for msm8960-common, xt897 and xt897c from CM10.1 and apply Carbon changes). That way you can just keep merging them as things get fixed.

Yea, I need to chat with you about this mate :)

Loving this rom so far man, thank you for porting it and keeping it up to date!

Sent from my Motorola Photon Q LTE using xda app-developers app

Glad you enjoy it!

Edit - I am now rebuilding Carbon with NFC and a keyboard backlight enhancement from CM10.1.

Last edited:
Reactions: noXcape

turbo180

Feb 4, 2008

In a GSM network the PUK really is a PIN unlock key, but it has nothing to do with the screenlock, it is SIM related as the PIN is, if you enter 3 times wrong PIN, the SIM card is locked and you need a PUK to unlock it. It is purely SIM related (not phone related) so you need to ask the operator which issued your SIM card for the PUK.

However, I have no idea how it is in LTE or CDMA networks, where you don't even have a SIM card or the one is integrated only for the roaming purpose as I understand it is in the stock Photon Q in Sprint or that another one US operator.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
In a GSM network the PUK really is a PIN unlock key, but it has nothing to do with the screenlock, it is SIM related as the PIN is, if you enter 3 times wrong PIN, the SIM card is locked and you need a PUK to unlock it. It is purely SIM related (not phone related) so you need to ask the operator which issued your SIM card for the PUK.

However, I have no idea how it is in LTE or CDMA networks, where you don't even have a SIM card or the one is integrated only for the roaming purpose as I understand it is in the stock Photon Q in Sprint or that another one US operator.

Agreed, I didn't think Sprint/CDMA carriers even used a PUK.

At any rate, I rebuilt and I now have NFC in the Settings menu! I also added a commit which seemed to break keyboard backlight... yay. So I am not going to release it yet, I need to do a bit more work!

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Alright folks, new build is uploading!

Keyboard backlight issue seems resolved (I pulled in some new patches here), and NFC is now enabled!

Enjoy.

Reactions: alexwoellhaf

patrickm823

Dec 7, 2011
Georgia
bawk bawk.

My Carbon seems to be falling apart, flashed the 20130507-213725-xt897c build clean and everything was great, gps locked perfect, data worked, mms and keyboard lights(no 4g bars of course) and now I can't connect to wifi anywhere, it just attempts once or twice then says avoided poor connection. Data also is spotty as fuh now. I'm probably about to flash the newer build, just wanted to throw some data(possibly inconsequential) your way.

Edit - Flashed 10 days ago, the last 3 have been wifi-less

Last edited:

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Any way we can get the cm rename app feature.

Not sure what feature this is, but I'm surprised Carbon does not have it... I'll look into it

My Carbon seems to be falling apart, flashed the 20130507-213725-xt897c build clean and everything was great, gps locked perfect, data worked, mms and keyboard lights(no 4g bars of course) and now I can't connect to wifi anywhere, it just attempts once or twice then says avoided poor connection. Data also is spotty as fuh now. I'm probably about to flash the newer build, just wanted to throw some data(possibly inconsequential) your way.

Edit - Flashed 10 days ago, the last 3 have been wifi-less

No clue, wifi works great here. I think there's an option to disable the avoiding of poor connections.

I saw someone else post a similar issue, not sure if they solved it or not. They were on the CM10.1 ROM.

alexwoellhaf

Not sure what feature this is, but I'm surprised Carbon does not have it... I'll look into it

No clue, wifi works great here. I think there's an option to disable the avoiding of poor connections.

I saw someone else post a similar issue, not sure if they solved it or not. They were on the CM10.1 ROM.

While on the home screen in cm, hold an app...... you can drag to remove or rename

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About Carbon

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Screenshots

screen1s.jpg
    screen2s.jpg
    screen3s.jpg

screen4s.jpg
    screen5s.jpg
    screen6s.jpg

screen7s.jpg
    screen8s.jpg
    screen9s.jpg

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

Download Carbon

All Carbon downloads and further information such as features, changelog, and FAQ can be found on our goo.im page.

http://goo.im/devs/carbon

Changelog

For a detailed changelog, check out the changes made each night here:

Change Log

Support

We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.

2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our goo.im page linked above. It's new, but expanding fast. Just like us!

3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.

4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Who is Team Carbon?

Andros11

BigShotRob

Bionic Beast

dg4prez

Kejar31

mattmanwrx

morfic

nocoast

pixeldotz

slick_rick

winner00

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

BUGS

• Some (not all) seem to experience issues with GPS. If you have issues with GPS, please RSD the JB image and then flash Carbon. GPS should work now. (I've also heard you can just restore a stock backup, get a lock, then flash Carbon again...)
    • Haptic feedback on soft keyboard is not provided when enabled (which it is by default)
    • While capturing a picture to send via MMS, ensure HDR is deselected - Gallery will cause a force close if HDR is enabled!! (Note - HDR works for normal still photos, just not MMS.)
    • Update Google Search (manual update), or else any voice searches will fail with FC. Update the app, and it is resolved.
    • Caps lock LED doesn't seem to work properly...
    • Camera button doesn't work? Cam/camcorder works fine, but the physical camera button does not seem to function (in Carbon).
    I meant the battery boot animation... I wished "no more powah" worked for xt897c

Charge only mode display should be fixed again now:
    https://github.com/razrqcom-dev-tea...mmit/12492f937653f2b6e7955b1a2dbd23c5b0c76e50
    (Just a reminder: it's better to report such issues directly in the CM10.1 thread, not in the threads of derivative ROMs, as it may easily pass unnoticed.)
    Has anybody been checking out the newer nightlies? In-call volume is great, which is a first that I've noticed in any 4.3 ROMs, just wanted to give everyone a head's up!

FYI: The 4.3 in-call volume fix has been achieved on 1st September and pushed to CM repo just two days later ;) .
    Great news!! Been waiting for this. :victory:
    Have you tried storage swapping? If it works just like on TI OMAP devices,it will be a big plus. 5GB won't be enough to store huge game data. :(

Camcorder doesn't quite work on PQ yet, but kabaldan said if you swap some proprietary files around it fixes it.

Should be committed soon, if not I'll try it out myself.

As for the storage swapping, as was previously stated the TI OMAP devices are not /data/media devices... this is the crux of the issue as I understand it.

There's ways to hack it to work, but they're not pretty and I think you already know all of 'em.