[DEV][2012/08/29] Multiboot v0.8

Search This thread

duo64

Nov 27, 2007
Hi

Is it possible to resize img files?
I have only 50M free of 292M, and cannot install apps.
Using multiboot on green lensed defy.
Thanks!

m11kkaa

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2011
I don't know something about a problem with AROMA-installer.
If you guys don't create tickets at github the possibillity, that I read about these issues is not as high like when you create a ticket, because I don't read every post here.

If you don't know how to use github or you don't want todo that,
maybe someone can make a thread with a central bug-list in OP.

Ptikjp

Feb 11, 2012
Hi,

Just wondering if you are planning to implement the time out or a default boot option for automatic startup?

Thanks in advance.

:)

miziel

Jan 31, 2009
Gliwice - Poland
Any idea why am I unable to get multiboot working?
I'm on CM7.2 Defy+ nightly using this kernel: http://m.cfa.aero/misc/CM9_Kernel-signed.zip
I installed multiboot 0.5.5 via recovery, added new VFS in MultiBoot manager then I went to the recovery, chose VFS and then errors were prompted like this:
E: can't mount cache/recovery/command and recovery/log
But I installed latest CM9 GB build anyway, it even booted but it said something about errors and that data is damaged and it rebooted and data was wiped.
Almost same here. Ive got CM9 as stock by Quarx for Defy + and i cant mount cashe for multiboot (exactly cashe/recovery) any ideas?

vuhothang

Jan 25, 2006
HCMC
A Originally Posted by MarcinRN View Post

Any idea why am I unable to get multiboot working?
I'm on CM7.2 Defy+ nightly using this kernel: http://m.cfa.aero/misc/CM9_Kernel-signed.zip
I installed multiboot 0.5.5 via recovery, added new VFS in MultiBoot manager then I went to the recovery, chose VFS and then errors were prompted like this:
E: can't mount cache/recovery/command and recovery/log
But I installed latest CM9 GB build anyway, it even booted but it said something about errors and that data is damaged and it rebooted and data was wiped.

Almost same here. Ive got CM9 as stock by Quarx for Defy + and i cant mount cashe for multiboot (exactly cashe/recovery) any ideas?

Same to me. i flash Epsylon CM9 120514. any solution to test WIUI 2.5.11 in virtual OS

DRu!D

Apr 29, 2012
Noob q'n lvl 1000

Is it necessary to wipe data/factory reset, during flashing a new rom as ur 2nd-system.. since as far as what i have read, the rom affects the img files that we make & store in sd card..

So logically thinking, the normal stable rom data should be left untouched even if i try a multiboot CMW flashing.. ??

Does anyone knows why i'm having problems with the phone calls in CM9, CM7 when i boot from SDCARD?
I receive 1 or 2 calls and after that my phone is not ringing sounds like is closed but the phone is on
if i try to call same problem
I have: - stock rom on NAND
- CM9 - Quarx as multiboot on sdcard
My phone is Defy+

I have flashed the latest build for defy+ by Epsylon3 and is working.

Sent from my MB526 using XDA

coolgame

Jan 27, 2012
Mumbai
The only problem I am facing is that the multiboot roms return to stock after every reboot .is anyone else facing this problem?

Sent from my MB526 using xda premium

joydeep1985

Jun 19, 2011
Bangalore
m11kkaa can you confirm wheter is multiboot compatible with GB kernels or not?

yes GB is compatiable with Multiboot provided you have both GB kernel in Nand + sdcard (virtual rom )

The only problem I am facing is that the multiboot roms return to stock after every reboot .is anyone else facing this problem?

Set 2nd-system as default boot . It should take you to the multiboot list menu

Reactions: MarcinRN

MarcinRN

Mar 3, 2012
yes GB is compatiable with Multiboot provided you have both GB kernel in Nand + sdcard (virtual rom )

Can you tell me then why am I unable to get it working? I'm on Quarx's latest Defy+ CM7.2 nigtly, installed multiboot 0.5.5 via stable recovery, created VFS with Multiboot Manager and when I boot to recovery (CM9 VFS) I get errors:
E:Can't mount /cache/ Can't open /cache etc.
Tried with both CM9 and DHT-22 kernel - same errors. Few other members reported the same issue. Can someone look into it? :)

joydeep1985

Jun 19, 2011
Bangalore
I have set 2nd system as default only. Yet every time I boot I cm 7 or Ms2ginger it takes me to the welcome screen. I am using multiboot manager app

I think you are missing something . Please go through the tutorial in my signature and post if such problems occur again . find the attachments as well .

Can you tell me then why am I unable to get it working? I'm on Quarx's latest Defy+ CM7.2 nigtly, installed multiboot 0.5.5 via stable recovery, created VFS with Multiboot Manager and when I boot to recovery (CM9 VFS) I get errors:
E:Can't mount /cache/ Can't open /cache etc.
Tried with both CM9 and DHT-22 kernel - same errors. Few other members reported the same issue. Can someone look into it? :)

I guess your VFS is corrupted . Please use the fsimages Dont create VFS via multiboot manager and check it again if its causing you the trouble .And also the kernel in VFS should be a GB kernel rom ( since you are using Defy+ build) you should use the kernel-gb-234-451-134-signed.zip , Its GB kernel for CM9 . So you should flash that kernel into virtual rom before you start using CM9 from VFS. If there still are any problem .Follow the tutorial in my link . I think that should clear any problem for you .

Reactions: MarcinRN

MarcinRN

Mar 3, 2012
I guess your VFS is corrupted . Please use the fsimages Dont create VFS via multiboot manager and check it again if its causing you the trouble .And also the kernel in VFS should be a GB kernel rom ( since you are using Defy+ build) you should use the kernel-gb-234-451-134-signed.zip , Its GB kernel for CM9 . So you should flash that kernel into virtual rom before you start using CM9 from VFS. If there still are any problem .Follow the tutorial in my link . I think that should clear any problem for you .

No matter which fsimages I use the same error is printed. About this kernel, my phone is Defy with Bayer module and I'm on Defy+ CM7.2 nightly by Quarx (+DHT-22 kernel) are you sure I need to use kernel you mentioned?

joydeep1985

Jun 19, 2011
Bangalore
No matter which fsimages I use the same error is printed. About this kernel, my phone is Defy with Bayer module and I'm on Defy+ CM7.2 nightly by Quarx (+DHT-22 kernel) are you sure I need to use kernel you mentioned?

well I mentioned that kernel should be for CM9 . albeit not CM7 defy+ :) ... I m still not sure abt ur setup .. if you are having a problem pm me stating you setup for Nand and virtual system . and how did you proceed . :)

DRu!D

Apr 29, 2012
I think you are missing something . Please go through the tutorial in my signature and post if such problems occur again . find the attachments as well .

I am experiencing the same error..
"E:Can't mount /cache/ Can't open /cache etc."

I'm on Green lens froyo.. CM9 (CM7 kernel)

So should i flash the froyo 222 kernel frm http://defy.wdscript.fr/kernel/ ?? N try again??

Hope it doesnt mess the stable CM9..

Reactions: coas

MarcinRN

Mar 3, 2012
I am experiencing the same error..
"E:Can't mount /cache/ Can't open /cache etc."

I'm on Green lens froyo.. CM9 (CM7 kernel)

So should i flash the froyo 222 kernel frm http://defy.wdscript.fr/kernel/ ?? N try again??

Hope it doesnt mess the stable CM9..

Don't flash this kernel since you are on Froyo build. Flash this instead:
bm_cwm_mb_v0.8-signed.zip
It contains updated Bootmenu, TWRP recovery and multiboot, flashing this will fix these errors and make multiboot work again!
Follow this guide as well: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24237176&postcount=524
Thanks and regards to Joydeep1985 :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I created a new thread for this so I can edit the first post for release-info.
    This is the old thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1133866

Please note that the multiboot-feature will be removed if you update your real system.
    The virtual systems will stay on the sdcard so just reinstall the mod and you can boot your virtual systems again :)

Changelog:
    Code:
    [B]v0.8:[/B]
    - addon.d (Multiboot will be kept on ROM-Update)
    - working reboot recovery inside multiboot-rom(will boot directly into the recovery for that rom)
    - working reboot into bootmenu inside multiboot-rom
    - security-fixes
    - TLS-support
    - fixed sdcard-problems for NAND-system

[B]v0.7:[/B]
    - added integration in touchbootmenu. This is no compatibility-patch - since now multiboot can only be used in combination with touchbootmenu

[B]v0.6.1:[/B]
    - fixed some memory-leaks in kernel-module
    - fixed stupid bug which prevented creating backups on first start

[B]v0.6:[/B]
    - new hook-method with kernel-side code which should be the solution to most rom-problems 
    - fixed a bug which prevented mounting cache-partition inside recovery
    - fixed installer-bug when TouchBootmenu is used on NAND
    - reboot to recovery/bootmenu does not work for now. will be fixed in future

[B]v0.5.5:[/B]
    - support for Stock-roms with Greenbreadmod
    - added version-file(for updater which comes soon)

[B]v0.5.4:[/B]
    - fixed problem with install-script

[B]v0.5.3:[/B]
    - support for TWRP recovery
    - fixed problem with virtual systems with names longer than 9 chars
    - don't change 2ndBoot-script for bootmenus with 2ndSystem-support
    - show graphical error-message when error was detected and copy log to "/cache/multiboot/error.log"
    - experimental support for booting stock-roms

[B]v0.5.2:[/B]
    - more configurable(via config-file)
    - fixed error-detection. On early errors you will get back to bootmenu
    - fix boot-problems for some roms

[B]v0.5.1:[/B]
    - fixed crash of GUI when choosing recovery
    - fixed bug which prevented creating important images on first boot
    - virtual systems now are using nand-backups with real data so you could install backups of virtual systems on NAND
    - installer sets default bootmode to 2nd-boot
    - added recovery-option for NAND
    - patch background-image of virtual recovery so you see if you are flashing real or virtual system
    - reboot system if you click "Go Back" in virtual recovery(until I found a solution for going back to multiboot-GUI)

[B]v0.5:[/B]
    - better protection against unwanted changes on real partitions(thanks wizwin)
    - fix Phone for for GB-kernel(thanks quarx)
    - set props so apps can detect if phone started with multiboot or not(for future versions of multiboot-manager)
    - reboot into bootmenu/recovery now works
    ATTENTION: reboot into recovery will open recovery for REAL system!!!
    - added GUI for choosing which (virtual) system you want to boot

[B]v0.4:[/B]
    - replacing all references to real system with stub-image(will be automatically created at /sdcard/fsimage/stub.img). 
      Now the recovery for the virtual system should be completely abstracted and it shouldn't make any changes to the real system
    - a PDS-backup will be created and injected because it's needed by android-system and above change removes the reference

[B]v0.3/v0.3.1:[/B]
    - moving original system-partition to another location instead of lazy unmount so she will be accessible in 2ndBoot-system and will not be busy
    - fixed recovery to improve installer-zip compatibility. MIUI works now
    - internal script-changes

[B]v0.2:[/B]
    - "Install zip from SDcard" works now
    - changed hook-method so it works with more ROM's(including ICS)

[B]v0.1:[/B]
    First release

Source:
    https://github.com/M1cha/DefyMultiboot

Download:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1289953&d=1346244428

Installation:
    1. Download zip-file and copy to sdcard
    2. create 3 filesystem-images in ext3-format and copy them to /sdcard/multiboot/NAME with the names system.img, data.img and cache.img.
    Please replace NAME with the folder-name of your virtual system(you have to create this)
    You can download ready-to-use images from here:
    http://www.multiupload.com/VY3U4IXRO1
    2. install zip-file in CWM

Some info:
    - The menu-entry "Lastest Recovery" is no longer supported and will affect your real system!
    - boot the System-Chooser with the 2ndBoot-option in bootmenu

Bugs:
    - Data-Wipe deletes android_secure

Donate:
    Developing Multiboot makes much fun and I really like the results but takes much time, so feel free to donate a beer.
    Tutorial For Multiboot

Well its said you cant learn anything well if you haven't learn it in hard way ( applies true for me . ). For people who are facing problem with 0.5.1-v0.5.4 i would post a short steps for them how to proceed . Assume i am starting from zero

1. Open Stable recovery flash CM7/CM9 (preferably froyo kernel).
    2. Now boot into CM7/CM9 verify your primary system is running fine .
    3. Find the fsimages attached in first post . Extract it under
    /sdcard/multiboot/<your virtual system name> (eg. /sdcard/multiboot/CM7.2)
    4. Boot into recovery again (Either of Latest / Stable).
    5. Flash bootmenu v0.5.1 and reboot
    6. When blue LED flashes press down volume rocker .
    7. In boot menu select 2nd boot .
    8. When you select 2nd boot , your menu should appear something like this

CM7.2
    MIUI
    Codename

Boot from Nand (Real system)
    Recovery (CWM)
    Reboot

9. Now select CWM .It would now show all virtual images But not the Recovery (CWM) string anymore. Smething like this

CM7.2
    MIUI
    Codename

But now you wont see any nand boot (Real system) or reboot string anymore.

10.Select anyone of those. But before that be sure you have copied all of the fsimages under /sdcard/multiboot/<your virtual system> ( as mentioned in step 3).You would get a long pause . As if phone has stopped responding . But actually your phone is jus fine .Its just creating the file system images. Dont PANIC!!

11. Now after long pause when the image files have been created . you would see your lovely recovery . Now this is the recovery you have been love in with .

12. Flash your virtual system zip selecting zip from sdcard (MIUI , Codename , CM7 whatever).

13.After flashing has been completed reboot and go to bootmenu .
    14. Go to 2nd boot You would see now CM7.2 in menu.Select it and you would be inside CM7.2 !!!!!!!!

Note : Before trying all this make sure you have put the default boot as 2nd-System ( If you are using Multiboot version greater than 0.5.2 alongwith bootmenu 1.1.8) . If not then default boot should be 2nd-Boot.

Update : There has been quite a few updates on Notes section : We can use GB roms as well as confirmed by nogoodusername .

The setup has to be :
    Primary : GB Rom
    Sdcard : (System 1: GB Rom , System 2 : GB Rom )

Attachment : Lite version of File system fsimages ( credits pabloltg).

You cant use combination of both GB and Froyo Roms at the same time in Sdcard + Primary . Stick to Either Primary + Sdcard = Full GB Or else Primary + Sdcard = Full Froyo .

Updates : 23 April 2012

1. There is small utility IC4Mv2.zip for creating images of any size . You can also find the attachment in this post as well . Instructions are given in the link .Credits dlhxr.

Updates : 12 April 2012

1.The zip bm_cwm_mb_v0.5-signed.zip ( Credits Nepotu ) is script containing the latest bootmenu (1.1.8), stable recovery = TWRP, custom recovery = classic recovery, multiboot v0.5.3/4 and Defy overclock modules. Default boot mode is set to 2nd-init Not 2nd system.

Some Notes :

1. Codename 1.6 : Use Royalee's MBM to create VFS (fsimages) of size mentioned . System : 300 MB , data : 250 MB , Cache : 150 MB . Or else It wont boot in Virtual system.

2. If you are using GB setup . Use walter's DHT kernel (Credits to walter) for an outstanding battery life . Works both on CM7 Defy+ as well as CM9 Defy+ builds(Red Lens Defy only).

3. If you are directly under bootmenu . Either of custom/stable recovery would affect your real system(Nand system). If you really need the recovery for the virtual system , Please read Steps 8,9 again.

Report Issues : https://github.com/M1cha/DefyMultiboot/issues

Enjoy !! i hope i have covered every detail of the multiboot and confusion . IF i have missed out any point . Please pm me and notify :D :D :D

Thanks a lot to leodfs , M1kkaa, Royalee, nogoodusername , pabloltg , nepotu ,Epsylon For all the support and hardwork behind this multiboot to be success :)
    Bootmenu 1.1.6 will have a new boot option dedicated to the multiboot...

I need to know what files are required to keep the multiboot system upon rom nightly upgrade... (automatic backup like overclock config and baseband)

This third kind of boot is named 2nd-system and will not be included in CM roms to keep data upon upgrades...

so the principe is :
    backup the script /system/bootmenu/script/2nd-system.sh
    backup the folder /system/bootmenu/2nd-system (or whatever is required)

bootmenu will allow the use of 2nd-system.sh as a default choice too, if script is present...
    I managed to make a successful build of CM7 and now I can start developement of a new bootmenu with multiboot-features :)
    Ok now I can boot roms with the new kernel-hooking-method and it's working just fine. I didn't try stock-roms yet. I'll release the new version soon.