Extreme NFC usage? Possible?

Search This thread

buntobo

Jul 17, 2012
My battery has been draining at an abnormal rate, extremely fast for me.
The NFC service or whatnot is the main culprit.
Read what I mean below and I have the screenshots to show what I mean too.

***Full disclosure, I do not game at all, I do not watch any videos, I do not listen to music when I was doing these tests nso as not to skew the results.

As said above, my battery has been on this downward spiral out of nowhere.
It started a few weeks ago with the foxhound ROM v 0.5. I turned on my phone one day and my battery just went to hell over night.

I was on a full charge expecting like always that I would at least get a good 5-6 days out of 100% charge, but overnight, the battery went from 100% to 10%. I know everyone's battery is different but I mean really from 100 to 10% in just under 7 hours? Damn.
So I thought it was the ROM's problem. Naturally, I Nandroid' the whole foxhound v0.5 ROM and flashed another ROM.
The next ROM I flashed was the SOKP ROM to make sure it was just the ROM's problem. I updated my baseband to NB4 at the same time from the MLK baseband. I let it sit for a couple of days and use it a I normally would, just using FB and going online, no games, no music, and no videos watched.
The battery life was fine for a coupla days and then all of a sudden it happened again. It went from a 100% full charge to 5% overnight.
So then I checked and nothing was wrong, thinking it was the ROM again, so I flashed another ROM, Hyperdrive ROM, and the same thing happens again. It's driving me nuts.

The NFC usage taken from screenshots from the different ROM's are just insane and they show what I mean. Nothing was being used as can be seen. No games or anything like that.
I was wondering if anyone is able to help me out with this singular problem?
Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? I know each battery for each S 4 is different but damn 100 to 10% overnight, I mean...

Is there any way that I could throw up a log for you guys or something to see whats draining or using the NFC so much?
I've attached screenshots that were taken showing what I meant above. These screenshots are taken from when the phone is performing during its better days where I could get up to 1 whole day of usage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-20-21-23-56.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-21-23-56.png
    225 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2014-05-04-01-52-20.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-04-01-52-20.png
    208.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_2014-06-08-02-05-27.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-08-02-05-27.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_2014-05-07-19-37-47.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-07-19-37-47.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2014-05-04-20-52-09.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-04-20-52-09.png
    223.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_2014-06-20-17-16-37.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-20-17-16-37.png
    224.3 KB · Views: 32

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My battery has been draining at an abnormal rate, extremely fast for me.
The NFC service or whatnot is the main culprit.
Read what I mean below and I have the screenshots to show what I mean too.

***Full disclosure, I do not game at all, I do not watch any videos, I do not listen to music when I was doing these tests nso as not to skew the results.

As said above, my battery has been on this downward spiral out of nowhere.
It started a few weeks ago with the foxhound ROM v 0.5. I turned on my phone one day and my battery just went to hell over night.

I was on a full charge expecting like always that I would at least get a good 5-6 days out of 100% charge, but overnight, the battery went from 100% to 10%. I know everyone's battery is different but I mean really from 100 to 10% in just under 7 hours? Damn.
So I thought it was the ROM's problem. Naturally, I Nandroid' the whole foxhound v0.5 ROM and flashed another ROM.
The next ROM I flashed was the SOKP ROM to make sure it was just the ROM's problem. I updated my baseband to NB4 at the same time from the MLK baseband. I let it sit for a couple of days and use it a I normally would, just using FB and going online, no games, no music, and no videos watched.
The battery life was fine for a coupla days and then all of a sudden it happened again. It went from a 100% full charge to 5% overnight.
So then I checked and nothing was wrong, thinking it was the ROM again, so I flashed another ROM, Hyperdrive ROM, and the same thing happens again. It's driving me nuts.

The NFC usage taken from screenshots from the different ROM's are just insane and they show what I mean. Nothing was being used as can be seen. No games or anything like that.
I was wondering if anyone is able to help me out with this singular problem?
Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? I know each battery for each S 4 is different but damn 100 to 10% overnight, I mean...

Is there any way that I could throw up a log for you guys or something to see whats draining or using the NFC so much?
I've attached screenshots that were taken showing what I meant above. These screenshots are taken from when the phone is performing during its better days where I could get up to 1 whole day of usage.

Do you use NFC at all? If not, just go into your settings and turn it off. If you do use it, you could just turn it off when you don't expect to use it, and switch it back on before you need it.

buntobo

Jul 17, 2012
Do you use NFC at all? If not, just go into your settings and turn it off. If you do use it, you could just turn it off when you don't expect to use it, and switch it back on before you need it.

I don't use NFC and I have to manually force close it every time because it just turns on of its own accord. Every time I turn it off,
it just turns on again without my doing anything. And even with NFC off, it still appears on the BBS's app and Battery's under Setting's saying that is running still.

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I don't use NFC and I have to manually force close it every time because it just turns on of its own accord. Every time I turn it off,
it just turns on again without my doing anything. And even with NFC off, it still appears on the BBS's app and Battery's under Setting's saying that is running still.

I never have a problem with that personally, but I would say use Titanium Backup and freeze everything that has NFC in the name.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
I would try flashing stock firmware with Odin, NFC should not be draining like that and you shouldn't have to freeze everything

buntobo

Jul 17, 2012
I would try flashing stock firmware with Odin, NFC should not be draining like that and you shouldn't have to freeze everything

Any way how? I'm thinking about flashing 4.2.2 again with Odin. I'm still on 4.2.2 on the FW side, I haven't upgraded to 4.4.2 or higher. I just flashed the most recent version of ROM's that has 4.4.2
Do I have to root again after flashing stock FW? I don't want to go to android 4.4.4 what with all the Knox and stuff that its being hit with.
Also, is there any link to past android FW versions? I can't seem to find any.

Last edited:

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Any way how? I'm thinking about flashing 4.2.2 again with Odin. I'm still on 4.2.2 on the FW side, I haven't upgraded to 4.4.2 or higher. I just flashed the most recent version of ROM's that has 4.4.2
Do I have to root again after flashing stock FW? I don't want to go to android 4.4.4 what with all the Knox and stuff that its being hit with.
Also, is there any link to past android FW versions? I can't seem to find any.
Yeah since you never updated past 4.2.2 you can still flash the 4.2.2 firmware, get it at sammobile.com

buntobo

Jul 17, 2012
Yeah since you never updated past 4.2.2 you can still flash the 4.2.2 firmware, get it at sammobile.com

I tried to find it there but all I come up with is the 4.4.4 version?
Nothing older than 4.4.4

Edit: found it, will Odin it and see what happens.
Do I have to do a full wipe of everything? on the internal and external SD card?

Last edited:

buntobo

Jul 17, 2012
Gotcha
Was wondering will I need to re-root the phone again after going back to stock?
Confused by a reply earlier.

buntobo

Jul 17, 2012
will keep updated after a few more days of usage to see if any changes occur.
thanks for you guys' help so far!

Reactions: serio22

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    will keep updated after a few more days of usage to see if any changes occur.
    thanks for you guys' help so far!