[DEV] Voodoo Sound for Transformer v1 for 3.0.1, 3.1. Feature requests and discussion

Search This thread

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Too high? That's a new one on me. The mic levels (built-in mic, I don't use external mics with the TF101 and don't even know if that's possible) are far, FAR too low. As in, talking in a normal voice you have to have your face within two feet of the tablet, and pointed almost directly at the side of the tablet to get the mic to pick up anything even close to usable. I've seen plenty of people complaining of the same, and never seen anybody say the opposite, but I could've missed them I guess.

Well either way, there should still be room to increase the ADC gain for those that feel it's too low then :)
I think it's mostly in one of the new JB rom that I've seen someone complain about the high level of the mic that was saturating,
but can't find the post at the moment.. it's somewhere in one of the threads ;)

Hmmm, I don't have a recording application to test for the moment, so take what I say with a grain of salt,
but the settings you're after to increase the mic volume should be the input PGA Switch / volume I think.
Looking at their current default value (5) it seems to be definitely quite low, as the value range are 0=>31

There's also the Digital Capture volume which is at 96 and can go up to 120
Try to play with these and see if it helps for the MIC levels.

Looking further into the WM8903, there's another setting that would be nice to play with, which is the ADC HPF filter
what it that does is that it'll allow to cancel noise by filtering the low frequencies, it has different available settings to filter more or less.
Default is hifi mode which filters almost nothing, but there are 3 other settings that allow to cancel more or less frequencies.

That could definitely come in handy to activate it if you are doing voice chats in a noisy location, or if there is wind or such when you record :)

Could be nice to have that kind of switches into the voodoo app too :)

Reactions: tpr0 and klau7

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
I know what you're saying timduru, and thank you for encouraging people to support my work in your previous message.

What I'm saying is not about the GPL, but about respect for the research and development effort for an original creation from a developer.
If you decide to clone Voodoo Sound feature, which I would deeply regret you won't be allowed to use the Voodoo Sound name in any way.

Anyway like I say I'm working on the update, and it will make all this debate pointless.

This thread has become a little heated.
Timduru, you certainly appear to be quite knowledgeable in this area, and I personally look forward to seeing releases of your own audio enhancement apps. Choice is good, and whilst I've been a loyal voodoo sound fan since it's first releases (always buying the paid version as it made the sound of my Samsung Vibrant so amazing through my etymotics that it has allowed me to ditch all other mp3 players.
I have been sorely disappointed with the sound of the TF101 and have been patiently awaiting the same amazing results on ICS kernels so it's good to hear from supercurio that he is actually still planning on releasing a fully functional version. However more than 6 months since the very stripped down beta release has made me wonder if we would ever see full voodoo sound on this device.
I eagerly await its release, and am interested in what Timduru may be creating as competition drives innovation.

Thanks for all you do to support a device that Asus seems to have forgotten about.

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
This thread has become eerily quiet?
I get that folks are trying out JB/CM10, but both share their own issues and I am hoping to see a final release of voodoo sound for ICS on the TF101?

Is it still being worked on as previously indicated?
Thanks.

Hammerfest

Apr 3, 2008
San Antonio, TX
This thread has become eerily quiet?
I get that folks are trying out JB/CM10, but both share their own issues and I am hoping to see a final release of voodoo sound for ICS on the TF101?

Is it still being worked on as previously indicated?
Thanks.

Im pretty sure it is, hes only one person among many :D

I paid for the app, and unlike some of the ungrateful people on the GMarket reviews (down right ignorant), ill get by how I can until he gets it right!

ICS/JB hoorah!

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
Im pretty sure it is, hes only one person among many :D

I paid for the app, and unlike some of the ungrateful people on the GMarket reviews (down right ignorant), ill get by how I can until he gets it right!

ICS/JB hoorah!

As did I the first time I heard the sound difference on my galaxy S. Made me retire my mp3 players and use my phone as my dedicated music player.... It's that good!
I truly hope that we see this sometime soon..... It's the missing cherry from my ice cream sandwich!

Any update supercurio? (with sugar on top)

Sebz4n

Apr 22, 2011
Frederiksberg C
I am running ARHD ROM; and I Bought the plus app, but I was not able to do anything because the kernal was not compatible or something (running stock kernal of the rom). How come?

I don't wanna buy the app again, because I can't have it refunded anymore if it doesn't work

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
I am running ARHD ROM; and I Bought the plus app, but I was not able to do anything because the kernal was not compatible or something (running stock kernal of the rom). How come?

I don't wanna buy the app again, because I can't have it refunded anymore if it doesn't work

Only way to get voodoo sound is to run a custom kernel (since you are on arhd try the harmony-asus-ICS one as it's rock solid), then you need to install the beta voodoo sound app from the main thread (its about 6 days months old but does the basics). Just make sure that you disable any automatic updates from the market for the voodoosound app (the paid voodoo plus is fine to update) as it will try to install the latest released version that so far still isn't compatible with ICS.
We are all waiting patiently for supercurio to finish the ICS official release.......

Reactions: Sebz4n

Sebz4n

Apr 22, 2011
Frederiksberg C
Only way to get voodoo sound is to run a custom kernel (since you are on arhd try the harmony-asus-ICS one as it's rock solid), then you need to install the beta voodoo sound app from the main thread (its about 6 days months old but does the basics). Just make sure that you disable any automatic updates from the market for the voodoosound app (the paid voodoo plus is fine to update) as it will try to install the latest released version that so far still isn't compatible with ICS.
We are all waiting patiently for supercurio to finish the ICS official release.......

Which one do I download? Asus one?

surfmly

Jul 13, 2011
San Diego

Where is this download? I checked the first page of this thread but don't see mention of a beta ICS app. Assume you mean a different thread, but can't seem to find it. Any chance you have the URL handy to paste in reply?

Senorclean

Jul 18, 2010

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
Does anyone know if applying timadu's volume enhancement zip will cause problems when (if) a final completed voodoo sound app is released?
I for one am getting cold feet that we will see anything forthcoming, especially as folks are moving on to JB and supercurio is busy developing his app for new devices that run JB. Hate to sound pessimistic, but it's been a long time waiting.....

surfmly

Jul 13, 2011
San Diego
It is in this thread - but I could forgive you for not being able to find it! -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24650801#post24650801

Thanks Senorclean! Of course it was right in the middle of the thread... :)

On a side note I did end up using a kataudio fix with the alsamixer app and have seen better volume. Have yet to fully test with good headphones though and may go back to voodoo if needed.

Anyone know if there will be conflicts between kataudio fix and voodoo plus with voodoo ics beta?

Senorclean

Jul 18, 2010

On a side note I did end up using a kataudio fix with the alsamixer app and have seen better volume. Have yet to fully test with good headphones though and may go back to voodoo if needed.

Anyone know if there will be conflicts between kataudio fix and voodoo plus with voodoo ics beta?

Even if it does have issues, It would be fairly straightforward to just reflash your ROM...

ryocoon

Jun 10, 2008
San Jose

Reading through the thread, it appears that Voodoo would overwrite some kernel driver setting strings that KatAudio fix was using to bump things up and fix stuff. So.... yeah, it will conflict. However, if it works for you, that is fine.

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
Is voodoo sound for ICS on this device dead?

It's been a long time since supercurio posted anything on here, and whilst I'd like to see a final version, I think I can speak for most of us and assume that further development is dead.
Supercurio, we know that you are busy and working with newer android releases, but it would be nice to have an update or this thread closed.

MrNago

Apr 4, 2011
Madrid
Guys, just try KAT Android Toolbox. Check out the thread here on xda, for compatibility info.
I will try to post a link later, but a quickly search should be enough.

Sent from my Transformer Pad using Tapatalk 2

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
For those that have tried Kat kernel as I have we hope that a final version or atleast a non beta version of voodoo comes for the tf101

Kat kernel is ok but last time i tried it it sounded distorted

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
For those that have tried Kat kernel as I have we hope that a final version or atleast a non beta version of voodoo comes for the tf101

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

+1
However, I think its obvious the ship has sailed....no word from supercurio in over 6 months.

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
Guys, just try KAT Android Toolbox. Check out the thread here on xda, for compatibility info.
I will try to post a link later, but a quickly search should be enough.

As pointed out, what you need for Better sound control and quality, "Voodoo sound like" things & more is the K.A.T Android Toolbox (Android app)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1841851
KatKernel is a different thing, and sound is not more or less distorted than the regular kernel.
The wm8903 driver is the same.

The "distorted sound" that can happen sometime is just a generic JB rom issue.
For that you might want to try installing the HDMI & audio fix from the K.A.T app install menu.
That should help the issue.

If you still experience audio loss / degrading, you can hit the reinit FM34 DSP button directly from the K.A.T app too,
that should bring it back. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone!

Asus EeePad Transformer hosts a very nice audio codec by Wolfson that powers both the headphone and speaker output.
    Its the ultra low power WM8903, implementing a midrange DAC (Wolfson-scale) that outputs a clean and musical signal, and my favorite Class W headphone amp, that gives a clean controlled and accurate output, and is able to drive full-size 300 Ohms headphones without distortion.

The transformer audio power stage is not as powerful as other device I tune so at maximum volume but I'm sure you'll be surprised by the capability of this amp if you compare it to any other mobile non-Voodoo device.
    I might limit the maximum gain to +3dB to avoid saturation.

Voodoo sound is:

A control Android application

- Free version (semi broken on Honeycomb ATM, will fix soon): https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlapp
    - Plus/Donate version: https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlappdonate

Plus version gives the ability to get full Voodoo sound implementation without depending on a custom kernel. Root is required to load the additional driver.
    Free version requires a kernel implementing Voodoo sound GPL patches as you'll find plenty on XDA.

Features of the v1 :

I'll be very accurate and describe the exact change so far.
    As usual, you get what you see.
    What Voodoo sound driver v1 does on transformer is mapping volume to the headphone amplifier hardware control.

In the standard configuration, here is how it works: Most time only half or less of the Dynamic Range of the DAC is used (depending on the current output volume) by trimming the signal amplitude in a digital way.

What brings the driver v1 is a maximization of the digital volume, so the system works really on 16bit instead of 12 or even less at low volumes. And instead of that you control directly the analog gain of the Class W headphone amplifier built in the codec.
    It allows to get more powerful sound, like to drive full-size high-impedance headphones at desired volumes, but for most people using sensitive headphones (same for in-ear) the sound is improved because there's far less hiss by reducing the analog gain.
    When you reduce the noise level, the sound is more clear and defined.

I have some more leads in development for this codec, like:
    - better oversampling quality (128x oversampling, require also clock reconfiguration on the SoC)
    - alternative digital filter to reduce the very high frequency intensity ( > 20kHz) in order to reduce the listening fatigue.

WM8903 doesn't support digital effects like parametric EQ or 3D effect so I won't be able to activate that, but there's still some headroom to improve the quality and neutrality of the response, audiophile-style

Here are measurements I made without any modification, on 3.1:
    http://supercurio.project-voodoo.org/audio/eeepadtransformer/Asus EeePad Transformer Android 3_1.htm

Planned features

- Better SRS presets for the speakers
    - Maybe some volume boost for speakers if possible with reasonable quality.
    - If usable and providing sufficient quality: customizable EQ & 3D effect using SRS software engine for the Headphone out.
    Voodoo Sound 4.0-pre1

Hey hey hey !

It took time to ... well rewrite the whole Voodoo Sound app, libs and driver from scratch really but here is finally a first pre-version you can try for EeePad Transformer ICS.

voodoo-sound-4.0-pre1-transformer.png

As you will see, its very much unfinished but the base is already usable so there was no reason to keep you waiting any longer.
    So, don't be disapointed if something is not yet available or broken. I know.
    Only Plus users are able to use this pre-version.

Root is required as usual. Only official kernel has been tested. It will probably crash or not work on other configurations.

There's new features for Transformer Wolfson WM8903 codec: DAC 128x high performance oversampling and the Sloping Stopband setting, which is a better quality oversampling high frequency filter (stronger high frequency filter)

You're welcome to run measurements & analysis on the output. I plan to add measurement & graphs to each setting accessible from the app in order to show you the effect.

Download Voodoo Sound app 4.0-pre1 for EeePad Transformer ICS.
    Other than that, I make constant progress with the new driver writing.

And I hope so because I work something like 14-15h a day to shorten the delay until release ^^
    Any news about the progress of developement?
    Not requesting any eta or putting pressure!

Just curiosity!

Yes I'm writing a new UI ATM, better for tablets.
    First beta will have Headphone Amp control and DAC oversampling switch too.
    Ah, finally source code!
    Just downloaded it.

I'll switch back to the ICS port tomorrow. (11PM here)