Some ROMS fail to flash on some devices..

Search This thread

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
So anyone figure out why some ROMs fail to flash on to some devices?

I have a theory, I think it has something to do with "fastboot flash partition gpt_main0.bin" failing to flash on certain devices depending on which rom it's sourced from, also depending on which the device currently has already flashed successfully..

Although this is beyond my comprehension, I don't know the reasoning and or the correct wording. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could shed some insight..

I.E. I can successfully "fastboot flash partition gpt_main0.bin" on my device using MX retail, Bell and AT&T versions/copies will fail to flash on my device and I think it is because the last complete successful flash I was able to do with RSDlite was MX retail.

Anyone got any ideas?

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
Hey @clockcycle does the flashing of gpt_main0.bin actually "fail" or does it freeze up? I know that you cannot flash an earlier version of "gpt_main0.bin" over a newer one. I had the same issue as you've described while manually flashing and RSD doesn't work for me anymore. It took me a month of trying different approaches to get back to stock just so I could make a nandroid because my original backup corrupted. Anyway, Myth Tools would get the furthest while flashing stock, but would freeze up. I'm assuming you've tried Myth Tools and failed. However, I discovered something (in frustration and desperation) that totally worked for me. Soft bricks don't scare me anymore so I tried the method I describe in this post
[TheJeremyWhite;49794944]Disclaimer: Even though this worked for me I am not responsible if you brick your phone, I am simply sharing my experience
Okay, this is not for the faint of heart and is going to sound a little backward but it just worked for me 5mins ago. I am running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, so there shouldn't be a problem with your setup. I was having the same problem until I just double clicked on flashing.bat or main.bat instead of running as admin. After all I AM the admin of my PC. Then, it worked perfect...until flashing the tz.mbn file and froze up while writing the file. I thought mmm...it shouldn't take that long to write such a small file, and writing happens on the phone side (I believe) so I hit the phone's power button while leaving the Myth Tools window open, which disconnected the phone obviously. I booted back into fastboot and it continued from where it left off. (Note: I did this a few weeks ago when I lost my radios and manually flashed the modem file, which froze, but I followed the same procedure and it successfully flashed it) Then when it got to the last system.img chunk (it writes it in small chunks of 30mb and the last one is smaller, that's how I knew it was the last one) it froze again. I let it sit for about 5mins just to make sure it was written to the phone the repeated the sequence to reboot manually into fastboot and bang, once again it continued right where it left off. one or two more freezes and voila...it rebooted right back to stock.
But honestly, I have no clue why some ROM's fail, but I now know how to flash any one of them without any issues.

Fails to downgrade.