[HOW-TO] Get 4G Speeds on AT&T

Search This thread

smalovic

Nov 21, 2012
So it seems like a lot of people are having trouble getting 4G speeds with AT&T. After a couple days of back and forth with sales reps and tech support, I think I have it figured out. I'll try to make this an easy to follow guide.

Getting the Right Data Plan

First thing's first, you need to have a 4G data plan. To check which data plan you currently have, you can log into your account on http://www.att.com. After logging in, mouse-over the "Wireless" tab at the top and click "Add or Change Services." From here, you can scroll down and view the "Web, Text & More" section. This is what mine looks like.

Your data plan has to be a 4G Smartphone plan. If you are coming from a previous 4G phone, and you just popped in your old sim card WITHOUT calling AT&T, you should be all set and you can skip to the next section. However, if you DID call AT&T to give them your Nexus 4's IMEI, your data plan will default to "3G for Blackberry" or something similar. This is because the Nexus 4's IMEI isn't appropriated as a 4G smartphone in AT&T's system.

You have a couple options at this point. You can try to contact AT&T, explain it to them, and hope they give you a correctly provisioned data plan. This can be a quick and simple fix, and has worked for some people. However, it didn't work for me. After speaking with customer service over live chat, tech support over the phone, and going into both an authorized retailer and a corporate store, I was told that they can only provide 4G plans to AT&T branded 4G phones.

The solution to this is to give AT&T the IMEI number from one of their 4G phones. (NOTE: The only thing the IMEI does is tell them what type of phone it is, and what plans can be assigned to it. IT IS NOT LIKE A SERIAL NUMBER, AND AT&T WILL NOT CHECK TO MAKE SURE IT IS UNIQUE.) Find a friend with an AT&T 4G phone and note the IMEI number. You can quickly pull it up by typing *#06#. Then you can call AT&T customer service, tell them you have a new smartphone that you would like to get the correct data plan for, and give them the IMEI number you just copied down. (I told them I have an LG Optimus G, which isn't too far off I suppose ;))

Now you should have a 4G data plan.

Setting the APN

After you confirm that you have a 4G data plan, you have to set the correct APN. To get into the APN settings, go into your android settings, under "Wireless & Networks" go into More>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names. You can either select the menu button and create a New APN, or you can select the one already there and edit it to match the one below.

Code:
APN Settings:

Name: AT&T HSPA+
APN: pta [COLOR="Red"](NOTE: IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN LTE PLAN, CHANGE THIS TO "PHONE")[/COLOR]
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80 [COLOR="Red"](NOTE: IF MMS ISN'T WORKING, CHANGE THIS TO "8080")[/COLOR]
MCC: 310
MNC 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6
Bearer: Unspecified

Be sure to hit the menu button and save the APN, then select it in APN settings. If at this point you fail to get a connection, you most likely don't have a 4G data plan and should go through the steps in the first section.

Enabling LTE

This part is optional, but I see no harm in doing it. Type *#*#4636#*#* into your phone. This should open up a "Testing" settings screen. Go into Phone Information, scroll down to "Set preferred network type:" and select "LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)" from the drop-down menu. If you happen to be in an area with AT&T band 4 LTE, you will be able to connect to it. According to this thread, AT&T has band 4 LTE in the Oklahoma City area. If anyone else can confirm any other areas, maybe we can get an idea of how widespread it is.

Hopefully this has helped some people. :D Let me know if there are any inaccuracies or changes that should be made.

Last edited by a moderator:

yahoowizard

Aug 26, 2010
Does it have to be 4G LTE? Mine just says the same thing, but 4G. They set it up in the store, as well, but they set it up as my old SGS2, which has 4G, but not LTE.

Reactions: RacerXO

smalovic

Nov 21, 2012
Does it have to be 4G LTE? Mine just says the same thing, but 4G. They set it up in the store, as well, but they set it up as my old SGS2, which has 4G, but not LTE.

No, it doesn't have to be LTE. You should still be able to connect to the HSPA+ network. You only need the LTE plan if you want to try to connect to the band 4 LTE network in the few areas AT&T has it.

yahoowizard

Aug 26, 2010
I do want the LTE network, so I guess I should call and get that changed. However, nothing works at all, no data, no HSPA, nothing. I guess 4G plan isn't valid.

Last edited:

smalovic

Nov 21, 2012
I have galaxy s3 with LTE data plan so so when I get my nexus , I just need to set up apn . Thats it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Right, all you would have to do is put the sim card from your GS3 into your Nexus 4. It should set the APN automatically since it's already a 4G plan, but you can always double check.

So what are the speeds with this?

This would depend a lot on your area. I seem to be getting 8-10 Mbps in a HSPA+15 coverage area.

Last edited:

VanVlack

Oct 18, 2009
grandfathered

Dose anyone know if this will negatively affect a data plan that is grandfathered unlimited. I don't want them to mess that up.

smalovic

Nov 21, 2012
I do want the LTE network, so I guess I should call and get that changed. However, nothing works at all, no data, no HSPA, nothing. I guess 4G plan isn't valid.

Try changing the APN setting from "pta" to "phone". I believe pta is the setting for the LTE plan, and phone is the setting for the regular 4G.

Dose anyone know if this will negatively affect a data plan that is grandfathered unlimited. I don't want them to mess that up.

I think you only stay grandfathered unlimited if you don't change your plan at all. I have the 2GB plan that is no longer available, and on the "Add or Change Services" page it tells me that if I make any changes I won't be able to revert to my current 2GB plan. I would assume it's the same for all discontinued plans.

Last edited:
Reactions: smacsteve

ppeklak

Apr 10, 2012
i have grandfathered unlimited data from an old iphone 3gs plan...here is what it says on att's website:

Data Unlimited SmartPhone Personal
Data Plan for SmartPhones. Unlimited domestic data usage. Only available for upgrades. Requires customers to be on a "Gold List" Data Unlimited SmartPhone Plan prior to upgrade to 4G device.

so is this considered "4G"? i live outside of philly and the fastest i've ever gotten on speedtest was around 6 mbits/sec...99.9% of the time it's between 1 and 3 (this is on my galaxy s 2).

smalovic

Nov 21, 2012
i have grandfathered unlimited data from an old iphone 3gs plan...here is what it says on att's website:

Data Unlimited SmartPhone Personal
Data Plan for SmartPhones. Unlimited domestic data usage. Only available for upgrades. Requires customers to be on a "Gold List" Data Unlimited SmartPhone Plan prior to upgrade to 4G device.

so is this considered "4G"? i live outside of philly and the fastest i've ever gotten on speedtest was around 6 mbits/sec...99.9% of the time it's between 1 and 3 (this is on my galaxy s 2).

As far as I know, they label all the 4G plans as such. What are your APN settings? If it's wap.cingular, I'm pretty sure that's 3G.

krhainos

Jul 28, 2007
Akron, OH
krhainos.tk
As far as I know, they label all the 4G plans as such. What are your APN settings? If it's wap.cingular, I'm pretty sure that's 3G.

Mostly correct -- I was under the belief the wap.cingular isn't able to achieve HSPA+ speeds (I was only able to get 1mbit up and down). Someone else in a different thread told me that they were connecting at HSPA+ speeds on wap.cingular. So it turns out APN's alone aren't directly indicative of what plan you have. However, being able to connect on either "phone" or "pta" APNs is pretty much a guarantee your plan is provisioned correctly as those are the APN's used for HSPA+ as well as LTE.

Here's my exact post from the other thread : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34778373&postcount=19

Also an in-depth APN rundown here : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34824948&postcount=116

Last edited:
Reactions: jtc276

Nicthalon

Jun 15, 2011
So it seems like a lot of people are having trouble getting 4G speeds with AT&T. After a couple days of back and forth with sales reps and tech support, I think I have it figured out. I'll try to make this an easy to follow guide.

So far only updated the APN, and I was on the wap.cingular, with a grandfathered data plan. My Speedtest results after the APN change is now DOUBLE my wifi connection speed via DSL. I'm outside city limits South of Holland, MI, and getting 7-9Mbps now. I can't wait to go up to Grand Rapids where I know ATT has a very robust 4G network and see what I get there.

4ktvs

Sep 3, 2011
So would LTE on AT&T work with the non-smartphone unlimited data plan?

Does AT&T even pick up the nexus 4 as a "smartphone"?

Thanks

krhainos

Jul 28, 2007
Akron, OH
krhainos.tk
So would LTE on AT&T work with the non-smartphone unlimited data plan?

Does AT&T even pick up the nexus 4 as a "smartphone"?

Thanks

It appears some people who are in AT&T LTE coverage where AT&T does not have 700MHz licenses are getting LTE over the AWS frequencies (the same ones used in Canada). The Nexus 4 only appears to have LTE operable on AWS. There's more about it in this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2021173

It's unlikely LTE would work with the non-smartphone data plan as those require the "pta" APN, which is only accessible on LTE plans.

blaine.hale

Sep 15, 2010
Atlanta here.
I double checked to make sure I had my settings right, according to the OP.
I'm not getting the LTE symbol in the status bar (only H) and getting 8-10 MBPS down according to the speed test.
I assume that's still HSPA+ for the Atlanta downtown area. (By GA tech)

mgalbraith

Nov 30, 2012
AT&T iPhone 4S SD Chip to N4 - 4G Compatible?

I am switching over from an iPhone 4S to the N4 and cannot get 4G data speeds (actually the best I can get is sub 2mb/sec). My old APN was wap.cingular and I beleive I was only getting 3G data with the iPhone; however, at some point AT&T started calling my service 4G and that is what would show up on the phone. Can anyone confirm that the iPhone 4S to N4 switch will require me to take the IMEI route to get the AT&T 4G speeds. Thanks for the help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Getting the Right Data Plan

First thing's first, you need to have a 4G data plan. To check which data plan you currently have, you can log into your account on http://www.att.com. After logging in, mouse-over the "Wireless" tab at the top and click "Add or Change Services." From here, you can scroll down and view the "Web, Text & More" section. This is what mine looks like.

Your data plan has to be a 4G Smartphone plan. If you are coming from a previous 4G phone, and you just popped in your old sim card WITHOUT calling AT&T, you should be all set and you can skip to the next section. However, if you DID call AT&T to give them your Nexus 4's IMEI, your data plan will default to "3G for Blackberry" or something similar. This is because the Nexus 4's IMEI isn't appropriated as a 4G smartphone in AT&T's system.

You have a couple options at this point. You can try to contact AT&T, explain it to them, and hope they give you a correctly provisioned data plan. This can be a quick and simple fix, and has worked for some people. However, it didn't work for me. After speaking with customer service over live chat, tech support over the phone, and going into both an authorized retailer and a corporate store, I was told that they can only provide 4G plans to AT&T branded 4G phones.

The solution to this is to give AT&T the IMEI number from one of their 4G phones. (NOTE: The only thing the IMEI does is tell them what type of phone it is, and what plans can be assigned to it. IT IS NOT LIKE A SERIAL NUMBER, AND AT&T WILL NOT CHECK TO MAKE SURE IT IS UNIQUE.) Find a friend with an AT&T 4G phone and note the IMEI number. You can quickly pull it up by typing *#06#. Then you can call AT&T customer service, tell them you have a new smartphone that you would like to get the correct data plan for, and give them the IMEI number you just copied down. (I told them I have an LG Optimus G, which isn't too far off I suppose ;))

Now you should have a 4G data plan.

Setting the APN

After you confirm that you have a 4G data plan, you have to set the correct APN. To get into the APN settings, go into your android settings, under "Wireless & Networks" go into More>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names. You can either select the menu button and create a New APN, or you can select the one already there and edit it to match the one below.

Code:
    APN Settings:

Name: AT&T HSPA+
    APN: pta [COLOR="Red"](NOTE: IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN LTE PLAN, CHANGE THIS TO "PHONE")[/COLOR]
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80 [COLOR="Red"](NOTE: IF MMS ISN'T WORKING, CHANGE THIS TO "8080")[/COLOR]
    MCC: 310
    MNC 410
    Authentication type: Not set
    APN type: default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri
    APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    Bearer: Unspecified

Be sure to hit the menu button and save the APN, then select it in APN settings. If at this point you fail to get a connection, you most likely don't have a 4G data plan and should go through the steps in the first section.

Enabling LTE

This part is optional, but I see no harm in doing it. Type *#*#4636#*#* into your phone. This should open up a "Testing" settings screen. Go into Phone Information, scroll down to "Set preferred network type:" and select "LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)" from the drop-down menu. If you happen to be in an area with AT&T band 4 LTE, you will be able to connect to it. According to this thread, AT&T has band 4 LTE in the Oklahoma City area. If anyone else can confirm any other areas, maybe we can get an idea of how widespread it is.

Hopefully this has helped some people. :D Let me know if there are any inaccuracies or changes that should be made.
    NO LTE in St. Louis
    I have galaxy s3 with LTE data plan so so when I get my nexus , I just need to set up apn . Thats it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Try changing the APN setting from "pta" to "phone". I believe pta is the setting for the LTE plan, and phone is the setting for the regular 4G.

I think you only stay grandfathered unlimited if you don't change your plan at all. I have the 2GB plan that is no longer available, and on the "Add or Change Services" page it tells me that if I make any changes I won't be able to revert to my current 2GB plan. I would assume it's the same for all discontinued plans.