Android 4.2.2 OTA Update

Search This thread

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
This is why root keepers, toolkits and point and click miracle solutions for Nexus devices are absolutely awful. I don't blame people for using them as they're shiny attractive quick solutions but when they eventually end up causing your device to break (and they always do) the user has no clue how to get themselves out of a hole. I wish they weren't even allowed on XDA..

Your both going to have backup your loot and learn your devices the right way and I'd suggest jut flashing the factory 4.2.2 images and starting completely fresh at this point. I'd start with installing the Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Install it, and set a system wide path to the /tools and /platform-tools folder of it from wherever you installed it.

How to set a system wide path: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

When you can run fastboot and adb from a command prompt from any location post back.

Last edited:

lKBZl

Mar 23, 2012
Barcelona
Guys, pls help.! My Nexus10's bootloader was locked and i used Superboot to root. It worked like charm untill i got the OTA 4.2.2. I downloaded Rootkeeper and installed the new update.
But, I got error and the device wasn't booting up. Getting the error "No command". After some time it booted up automatically. Now it's on 4.2.1 and no OTA. It says system is up to date.
Any help?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Delete data from google framework services ( first force close and then delete data). Then go to settings - info about tablet and check for updates. Repeat this untill ota shows up (you might have to repeat this 5 times).

Reactions: akhil7j

joe2262

Jan 30, 2011
Apparently some N10's had dodgy version of 4.2 installed that would allow the 4.2.1 upgrade
but gags on 4.2.2??

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
Apparently some N10's had dodgy version of 4.2 installed that would allow the 4.2.1 upgrade but but gags on 4.2.2??

Can you be more specific?

The issues I've seen people describe, so far, with the 4.2.2 update are generally caused by something they installed or modded that changed enough of the system files so that the asserts in the update scripts fail when the script attempts to patch the OS.

joe2262

Jan 30, 2011
Not really, just something I came across. It may very well be BS???

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
Not really, just something I came across. It may very well be BS???
This is true. Google had a 4.2 factory image that was "broken" in some way, but I think this only affected updates to 4.2.1 (both official OTA and sideload would fail in recovery). Google released an updated 4.2 factory image that fixed this. But if you had a backed-up 4.2 factory image, it was worth redownloading it in-case you had the broken image.

Not entirely sure if the same factory image affected upgrades to 4.2.2 or not, but I imagine it would.

Reactions: jonstrong and lKBZl

jimh425

Dec 18, 2012
Fwiw, my update was super easy. I rooted with wugfresh Nexus Root Toolkit and used it to push the update from my laptop.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

akhil7j

Nov 11, 2010
New Delhi
Delete data from google framework services ( first force close and then delete data). Then go to settings - info about tablet and check for updates. Repeat this untill ota shows up (you might have to repeat this 5 times).

Thanks! I tried it but got stuck in the same situation. The update was downloaded but not installed properly.

This is why root keepers, toolkits and point and click miracle solutions for Nexus devices are absolutely awful. I don't blame people for using them as they're shiny attractive quick solutions but when they eventually end up causing your device to break (and they always do) the user has no clue how to get themselves out of a hole. I wish they weren't even allowed on XDA..

Your both going to have backup your loot and learn your devices the right way and I'd suggest jut flashing the factory 4.2.2 images and starting completely fresh at this point. I'd start with installing the Android SDK: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Install it, and set a system wide path to the /tools and /platform-tools folder of it from wherever you installed it.

How to set a system wide path: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

When you can run fastboot and adb from a command prompt from any location post back.

Thanks for helping. I'm all done with the setting up the variables. Whats next now?

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks! I tried it but got stuck in the same situation. The update was downloaded but not installed properly.

Thanks for helping. I'm all done with the setting up the variables. Whats next now?

Awesome... Assuming you backed up your loot. The following will wipe your tablet clean and install a fresh stock unrooted, Jellybean 4.2.2

Download the 4.2.2 factory image: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-jdq39-factory-d79f489e.tgz

Unzip that.. Inside that is a tar file you need to unzip which contains a folder named "mantaray-jdq39". For tutorial purposes I'm going to assume we unzipped it into the root of C:\

Unzip the image-mantaray-jdq39.zip that is sitting in that directory (mantaray-jdq39). It will contain 5 img files.. They should all be sitting in the same directory

Power down the device and boot into the bootloader of your device.. Unplug the usb from PC and hold BOTH Vol Up-Down and the power button until you get into the bootloader. You'll know it's the right one if you can use the volume keys to switch between start, recovery etc... Plug your Nexus into your PC now..

Open a command prompt and change directories to where you unzipped the tar and zip file earlier.. ie: C:\manataray-jdp39

(if your bootloader is still locked you need to type "fastboot oem unlock" and then follow the instructions on your screen first)

Now type flash-all

Wait it out until your device reboots on its own..

You're done..

If you want to root after this ask here.. Me, or someone else will tell you how to do using the programs provided in the SDK you installed.. This way you will know the exact processes taking place as you yourself will be running each command to install recovery etc.. Then in the event something goes wrong in the future you will most likely be able to fix it yourself.. Also, you'll be more prepared to help others out in similar situations.

* - I'm assuming you already had the USB drivers installed and thus skipped all that jazz.

Last edited:

akhil7j

Nov 11, 2010
New Delhi
Thanks.! I'm downloading the factory image of device. Yes, everything is backed up and stored in a safe location and yes, downloaded the Google USB Driver through SDK itself.

Thanks again for the help and sharing knowledge. :)

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks.! I'm downloading the factory image of device. Yes, everything is backed up and stored in a safe location and yes, downloaded the Google USB Driver through SDK itself.

Thanks again for the help and sharing knowledge. :)

I forgot you used that super root method which roots without unlocking the bootloader

You're going to have to unlock your bootloader

Before typing "flash-all"

type this

"fastboot oem unlock" and follow the instructions on your screen to unlock the bootloader. Then proceed with flash-all.. I updated my previous post to you including this.

akhil7j

Nov 11, 2010
New Delhi
Oh alright.! But unlocking bootloader will affect OTA updates by any chance? Once the device is rooted, do we have to lock the bootloader again? Is it risky to leave the bootloader unlocked? Sorry if i am asking too many questions.

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Oh alright.! But unlocking bootloader will affect OTA updates by any chance? Once the device is rooted, do we have to lock the bootloader again? Is it risky to leave the bootloader unlocked? Sorry if i am asking too many questions.

Nexus devices with unlocked bootloaders can receive OTA updates just fine (I've done it on the N10 already, and have done it on the Nexus 7 and Nexus S) so as long as absolutely nothing that was stock was modified at all. Now.. You can always re-lock it yourself by typing "fastboot oem lock"... Just remember unlocking will always wipe your user data though.. This is a security measure in case someone is trying to gain access to and copy your user information off the phone by unlocking it.. Most leave it unlocked.. I can't tell you the last time I purposely locked a bootloader on any 3 of the the Nexus devices I've ever owned.. Soon as I buy one it's literally the first thing I do. The concern with leaving it unlocked is warranties.. This is a grey area that no one can give you a factual answer on.. They can give you experiences with warranties though.. My two cents on the warranty matter.. Most places will honor it just dandy if it's a hardware related defect and don't care too much if it was unlocked or not. Though, it's best to lock it again if possible before trying to get a warranty replacment. Again though, especially with tablets, most places don't even question it. This is the sole reason why a lot of people always buy Nexus devices.. These phones and tablets are made around the purpose of development of the Android Operating System and the tools to unlock and work with the device are provided straight from Google. Just use your Warranty for the purpose it was defined for "Manufacture defects and failures".. NOT "End user screw ups and stupidity".. :)

And don't be sorry for asking questions.. It's the right thing to do actually.. This isn't the Linux crowd of 10 years ago where we just give smug answers to new people and arrogantly point them to some obscure manual written in nerdbonics by an author that assumes the person reading it has a year of knowledge already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lipp24 and akhil7j

akhil7j

Nov 11, 2010
New Delhi
Nexus devices with unlocked bootloaders can receive OTA updates just fine (I've done it on the N10 already, and have done it on the Nexus 7 and Nexus S) so as long as absolutely nothing that was stock was modified at all. Now.. You can always re-lock it yourself by typing "fastboot oem lock"... Just remember unlocking will always wipe your user data though.. This is a security measure in case someone is trying to gain access to and copy your user information off the phone by unlocking it.. Most leave it unlocked.. I can't tell you the last time I purposely locked a bootloader on any 3 of the the Nexus devices I've ever owned.. Soon as I buy one it's literally the first thing I do. The concern with leaving it unlocked is warranties.. This is a grey area that no one can give you a factual answer on.. They can give you experiences with warranties though.. My two cents on the warranty matter.. Most places will honor it just dandy if it's a hardware related defect and don't care too much if it was unlocked or not. Though, it's best to lock it again if possible before trying to get a warranty replacment. Again though, especially with tablets, most places don't even question it. This is the sole reason why a lot of people always buy Nexus devices.. These phones and tablets are made around the purpose of development of the Android Operating System and the tools to unlock and work with the device are provided straight from Google. Just use your Warranty for the purpose it was defined for "Manufacture defects and failures".. NOT "End user screw ups and stupidity".. :)

And don't be sorry for asking questions.. It's the right thing to do actually.. This isn't the Linux crowd of 10 years ago where we just give smug answers to new people and arrogantly point them to some obscure manual written in nerdbonics by an author that assumes the person reading it has a year of knowledge already.

Thanks a lot really.! But there is an issue. The 4.2.2 factory image (.tar) i downloaded has only only 1 file in it with the same name but no extension. What to do now?

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks a lot really.! But there is an issue. The 4.2.2 factory image (.tar) i downloaded has only only 1 file in it with the same name but no extension. What to do now?

That file is in tar format and needs to be unzipped.. What are you using to unzip with? Use 7zip.. It's what most people use now a days.. Winrar and Winzip are things of the past..

http://www.7-zip.org/

After unzipping the tar you should have a directory with a file listing like so

MANWHiP.jpg

Then, once you unzip "image-mantaray-jdq39.zip" in that the folder should then look like this

NvBQoMe.jpg

P.S. To all other Nexus 10 owners comfortable with and use fastboot, adb, and the sdk on a regular basis.. We need to band together to get a definitive tutorial together explaining in simple terms fastboot, adb, etc etc.. The N10 community is severely out numbered by new people Vs long time Nexus users who are comfortable around the command line. And they are all using these god forsaken toolkits. Where as in the other Nexus forums if someone asks a question there is usually 3-4 people jumping in to help someone out.. Here it is just a flood of people needing help and maybe a single person at the moment has time to single out someone and get them through a rough spot and a lot just go without getting an answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: akhil7j

akhil7j

Nov 11, 2010
New Delhi
I tried WinRAR and now 7-Zip too but its the same thing. Just getting the one single file with no extension.

ejnt_aa6_u4ms2.png

Checked the MD5 and its correct too. So the file I downloaded is not corrupted.

nn5_a41_u4ms2.png

i3l1_405_u4ms2.png

Another question, what if I factory format reset the tab and then try to upgrade? Will that help? I read your previous post that if anything in the system is changed then the upgrade doesn't work. So I'm just trying to know whether factory format reset will restore the changes that toolkit did to the system.

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
I tried WinRAR and now 7-Zip too but its the same thing. Just getting the one single file with no extension.

ejnt_aa6_u4ms2.png

Checked the MD5 and its correct too. So the file I downloaded is not corrupted.

nn5_a41_u4ms2.png

i3l1_405_u4ms2.png

Another question, what if I factory format reset the tab and then try to upgrade? Will that help? I read your previous post that if anything in the system is changed then the upgrade doesn't work. So I'm just trying to know whether factory format reset will restore the changes that toolkit did to the system.

File Association isn't set in 7-Zip.. ie: See the winrar icon still showing up..

7-Zip menu bar.

Tools / Options

System / Select all / Apply.

Try again. You can try factory reset too.. May work but I figured we'd go this route as it'll get your hands dirty a bit. :)

akhil7j

Nov 11, 2010
New Delhi
File Association isn't set in 7-Zip.. ie: See the winrar icon still showing up..

7-Zip menu bar.

Tools / Options

System / Select all / Apply.

Try again. You can try factory reset too.. May work but I figured we'd go this route as it'll get your hands dirty a bit. :)

That I snipped just to show you but I actually extracted it with 7-zip and still just one file came.

:D Yeah getting hands dirty is a good idea.!

Last edited:

styckx

Sep 15, 2010
That I snipped just to show you but I actually extracted it with 7-zip and still just one file came.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

So did you get your device to 4.2.2 now?

pfmiller

May 24, 2010

I would guess that the factory image contains a disk image instead of individual files. That is a much faster way to do an install if you are not concerned with preserving any of the data on the devices disk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 10 4.2.2 OTA URL

Hi all,

You can download 4.2.2 OTA from below link. Have a fun!! :fingers-crossed:
    MD5:ed637878ccba20ba9d44e62685ac67e9

http://android.clients.google.com/p...igned-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443.zip

Awesome... Assuming you backed up your loot. The following will wipe your tablet clean and install a fresh stock unrooted, Jellybean 4.2.2

Download the 4.2.2 factory image: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-jdq39-factory-d79f489e.tgz

Unzip that.. Inside that is a tar file you need to unzip which contains a folder named "mantaray-jdq39". For tutorial purposes I'm going to assume we unzipped it into the root of C:\

Unzip the image-mantaray-jdq39.zip that is sitting in that directory (mantaray-jdq39). It will contain 5 img files.. They should all be sitting in the same directory

Power down the device and boot into the bootloader of your device.. Unplug the usb from PC and hold BOTH Vol Up-Down and the power button until you get into the bootloader. You'll know it's the right one if you can use the volume keys to switch between start, recovery etc... Plug your Nexus into your PC now..

Open a command prompt and change directories to where you unzipped the tar and zip file earlier.. ie: C:\manataray-jdp39

(if your bootloader is still locked you need to type "fastboot oem unlock" and then follow the instructions on your screen first)

Now type flash-all

Wait it out until your device reboots on its own..

You're done..

If you want to root after this ask here.. Me, or someone else will tell you how to do using the programs provided in the SDK you installed.. This way you will know the exact processes taking place as you yourself will be running each command to install recovery etc.. Then in the event something goes wrong in the future you will most likely be able to fix it yourself.. Also, you'll be more prepared to help others out in similar situations.

* - I'm assuming you already had the USB drivers installed and thus skipped all that jazz.
    I don't care about the data. I have backed up everything. Just wanted to make sure it will work with just one file with flash-all command.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Nailed it.! The problem was Internet Download Manager. What I downloaded was .tgz file and IDM (i don't know why) converted it to .tar and that was the reason of not showing the contents properly.

---------- Post added 18th February 2013 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 17th February 2013 at 11:40 PM ----------

Yes, finally I am on 4.2.2 :D Thanks a lot for everything. Really you have helped a lot. Now the final part, Rooting. The way you described, I would like to do the same way.

Congrats!

This is easy also..

First we need to download the Flashable SuperSU.
    Go to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
    In the first post download the flashable zip by clicking the link following the text "CWM / TWRP / MobileODIN installable ZIP: "

Place it in a spot on your device.. Doesn't matter where.. Just as long as you know where it is at.

Download TWRP (what will be your new recovery): http://teamw.in/project/twrp2

Type in "Nexus 10" click link for it that appears, then click "Download the newest .img file from here" (you want openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img whatever is the newest at the time of reading this)" on the next page.

Reboot to bootloader - Hold both Vol Up/Down + Power

Connect your device to the PC

Now we are going to instruct fastboot to flash openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img to the recovery partition of your device

Open a command prompt where you have the TWRP openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img file you downloaded

Type: fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.4.x.0-manta.img

Once you get the a-ok.. You can now use the volume key to choose "recovery" then the power button to boot into recovery.

TWRP should load.. Now you want to touch "install".. Browse to where you placed the SuperSU zip, choose it, swipe to flash and you should be done at that point and can reboot.
    Good call on the platform tools being outdated. I had downloaded it all today, but I just ran SDK Manager and it said there was an update available. After installing that, everything seems to work OK. It was definitely using an old fastboot as there are more options for it now. Not sure why.

Anyway, everything works perfect now! Thanks so much. I really owe you one.

Woohoo! So awesome.. Look at it this way.. You just got a lot of trouble shooting experience in and have a much better understanding how these things work.. The toolkits just can't replace hands on experience. :) Glad you're updated.. Now go install some games and relax. :good:
    If anyone is not rooted and has upgraded to 4.2.2 here for rooting and installing CWM! :cowboy:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2144831