SD card, moving apps and writing

Search This thread

Felborn

Jul 19, 2013
So I just installed a brand new SanDisk 64Gb SD card to my Z2, but seems KitKat changed alot on how work with external card. From what I have found true Google, third party like ES file Explorer can no longer write files to my SD card, so I'm forced to stick with the stock file browser? Seems very odd to me I got to admit, even tho I read a long story of why this was a good thing as fare as security goes. No way around it?

Secondly, I only have the 16GB version, and that's a fairely low storage capasity in 2014. I see I can move music, pictures and movies to my SD card, but can I move whole applications, or am I stuck with around 12GB application capasity for the next years? Seems to me that's a limit I will reach pretty soon. Is it possible to move application, or are media files all I can store on my SD card?

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
Unlock and root, then you can fix the problem and access the Sd card normally from all apps.
(For instance, with "SD Fix" in the playstore).

Reactions: Felborn

Felborn

Jul 19, 2013
Unlock and root, then you can fix the problem and access the Sd card normally from all apps.

Do I need to unlock to root my device? Atleast on my old Asus TF700 unlocking spoiled any and all warranty, and I rather not go down that route with a 1 month old tablet if it could be avoided. That said, living with this huge clamp around my tablet's foot does not sound very tempting. Thougth this was the kind if crap I got away from when I gave my kid the Ipad and bought Android instead...

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
Do I need to unlock to root my device? Atleast on my old Asus TF700 unlocking spoiled any and all warranty, and I rather not go down that route with a 1 month old tablet if it could be avoided. That said, living with this huge clamp around my tablet's foot does not sound very tempting. Thougth this was the kind if crap I got away from when I gave my kid the Ipad and bought Android instead...

An unrooted Android device is not the way to go, anyway.

When unrooted, you have to live with all this bloatware and unwanted background processes and ads and and and...

For me applies: Either I really like the device and I want to keep it, then it will be rooted, period. Or I don't, then I return it.

namitneil

Mar 17, 2012
Delhi
So I just installed a brand new SanDisk 64Gb SD card to my Z2, but seems KitKat changed alot on how work with external card. From what I have found true Google, third party like ES file Explorer can no longer write files to my SD card, so I'm forced to stick with the stock file browser? Seems very odd to me I got to admit, even tho I read a long story of why this was a good thing as fare as security goes. No way around it?

Secondly, I only have the 16GB version, and that's a fairely low storage capasity in 2014. I see I can move music, pictures and movies to my SD card, but can I move whole applications, or am I stuck with around 12GB application capasity for the next years? Seems to me that's a limit I will reach pretty soon. Is it possible to move application, or are media files all I can store on my SD card?

Download this from the amazing Jrummy Team.. From the creaters of rom toolbox..

Sent from my GT-N7100

Attachments

• 1399046887021.jpg
    1399046887021.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 3,634

Felborn

Jul 19, 2013
When unrooted, you have to live with all this bloatware and unwanted background processes and ads and and and...
For me applies: Either I really like the device and I want to keep it, then it will be rooted, period. Or I don't, then I return it.

I agree with that, but in this case it seems rooting means unlocking bootloader and this again cancels my 5 years warranty as messes with the DRM keys... If there was some easy way of rooting without unlocking, I would do it, but at this point I'm not willing to unlock a 32 days old device. Shame I missed this until today, as the 30 days return policy just closed, if not it would most likely be going out the doors...

Looks good, but sadly also requires root :/

Reactions: namitneil

namitneil

Mar 17, 2012
Delhi
What i think is that if you have paid a heavy amount on warranty then one should not root.. while rooting can be a Liability as well as an Asset.. for a device of low range specifications rooting and increasing the performance of the device is an Asset.. while if you will root devices like Note 3, Galaxy S5, Xperia Z2.. It will be a Liability.. Because these devices already on peak of their performance cant be changed much even after rooting.. while greed has no end.. still people sacrifice their warranty of costly flasgship smartphones and root them..

Sent from my GT-N7100

DrearierJester1

Oct 18, 2011
Melbourne
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I just got my Z2, went home updated to .402 firmware and rooted it using EasyRootToo and installed SD Card Kitkat Fix but unfortunately I still couldn't see the Move to SD Card option from the App Info, is there something that I missed? :confused::confused:

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
"Move to SD card" is not a standard Android option, it's only implemented by certain manufacturers, especially Samsung.

Hhunted

Dec 27, 2011
Cape Town
Hi guys,

Dont want to create a new topic and since this fits my issue so I'll ask in here.

I have a LTE 16GB version SGP521 with KK 4.4.2. I also have the latest firmware 402 installed.

I have bought a 64GB Class 10 ; 90MB/s read and 45MB/s write SD Card.

I was dreading that the 16GB internal is not enough and it is becoming a problem. I have been searching online for options to swop Internal and external sd cards.

I found this program https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.codlab.int2ext&hl=en , Root External 2 Internal SD, which apparently will trick android to think the external SD card is your internal and vice versa.

Question:

1. Did anyone try this one their Z2 Tablet?
2. Does it work with KK?
3. What settings other than "The original internal mounting point" and "The original external mounting point" must one change under the app setting to get this to work?

Like mentioned I found a few threads about this, but since it appears to different for devices I would like to first check with someone who already did this.

Any help?

Cheers

ghostshel

Feb 9, 2014
Barricaded in my dark basement..
What i think is that if you have paid a heavy amount on warranty then one should not root.. while rooting can be a Liability as well as an Asset.. for a device of low range specifications rooting and increasing the performance of the device is an Asset.. while if you will root devices like Note 3, Galaxy S5, Xperia Z2.. It will be a Liability.. Because these devices already on peak of their performance cant be changed much even after rooting.. while greed has no end.. still people sacrifice their warranty of costly flasgship smartphones and root them..

Sent from my GT-N7100

I understand there are some that shouldn't root their new s5 or g3, but seriously this response is a bit asinine since you are posting it on XDA. You know, a site for developers, themers etc. There are a TON of reasons why we root our phones, and none of which has to do with greed. Is it greedy to want some admin rights to a device that we not only own, but one of which we are more than likely going to be developing on or themeing on... Its like the whole reason most of us despise apple and are here with our droids!
:p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my GT-N7100

I understand there are some that shouldn't root their new s5 or g3, but seriously this response is a bit asinine since you are posting it on XDA. You know, a site for developers, themers etc. There are a TON of reasons why we root our phones, and none of which has to do with greed. Is it greedy to want some admin rights to a device that we not only own, but one of which we are more than likely going to be developing on or themeing on... Its like the whole reason most of us despise apple and are here with our droids!
    :p

Sent from my GT-N7100

I agree with that, but in this case it seems rooting means unlocking bootloader and this again cancels my 5 years warranty as messes with the DRM keys... If there was some easy way of rooting without unlocking, I would do it, but at this point I'm not willing to unlock a 32 days old device. Shame I missed this until today, as the 30 days return policy just closed, if not it would most likely be going out the doors...

Looks good, but sadly also requires root :/