Me venting about CM on the moto G

Search This thread

moto_g_n00b

Jul 20, 2014
Wow. Just wow. I mean, this phone has got to be at least nine months old by now. And guess what - I haven't seen a stable build of CM11 yet. In fact, I haven't seen a build where audio even works as it should, and in the latest nightly, the audio derped out completely, even in calls. GPS doesn't work. WiFi drops every 5 minutes or so. Mobile data doesn't activate for about half an hour, even then it drops out every 5 minutes, just like the WiFi.
Cyanogenmod is beyond a joke. The Moto G runs stock android out of the box, so there is literally nothing for the CM team to modify to get CM to work on it. They should at least get audio and GPS working - in contrast there is an unstable, unofficial build for the Samsung Galaxy Ace "s5830" of CM11 that has more things working than the current "official", "stable" build on the Moto G.
I thought CM was meant to be about bringing Stock android to all devices, on Google's schedule, long after OEMs and carriers have dropped support for these devices. What's crazy here is that the Moto G's "stock" software has had a version of 4.4.4 available for months; Motorola have finished it, and carriers have got round to rolling it out - and it's been on my phone for several weeks now.
My point is, Motorola (who are very lazy when it comes to updates) have finished 4.4.4, given the update to carriers, who then procrastinated about rolling it out for weeks before finally rolling it out, and still, despite all this, Cyanogenmod haven't even got a stable build of kitkat at all, let alone 4.4.4, to offer. They are literally worse than OEMs and carriers at updating their phones on time.
If you have a Moto G, please do not ruin it by installing cyanogenmod on it. It is useless beyond belief, and you will cry for days about having turned your phone into an expensive paperweight. On the bright side, if that corner of your piece of paper just won't stick down, go ahead and install CM.

vhngu930

Mar 25, 2013
Is this is a complain or something like that lol? BTW I don't have any issues with CM or CM based ROMs.

Senexis

Mar 19, 2013
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
OnePlus 8T
Here we go. At this point, I am also waiting for a more stable version of CM 11 for Falcon. Yes, there are issues with it. Some are pretty notable, others are barely (or not at all) notable.

The thing here is that you are using open sourced software. There are some really, really experienced developers working on CM 11 to make it better for us, the end users. However, and I have seen this happen before, some lesser-experienced developers might forget about something every once in a while causing issues on the devices. This can happen. It happens to everyone, Motorola developers included (just look at the reports of battery drain issues across the Android versions).

CyanogenMod is a great team and are introducing features that improve Android in small, yet very useful ways. These features, in themselves, are working brilliantly. The only quirk with this is that CyanogenMod is trying to get each and every different phone to run Android in combination with those features. I might be wrong here, but that seems like that's causing a lot of trouble over some different devices, including the Moto G. If CyanogenMod adds a new feature to (for recent issues' sake) audio for devices CyanogenMod support (an update library for example), there's always a chance that gets pushed to the Moto G, and there's something with the Moto G that makes it not function properly. This is really notable in the Nightly releases. The most recent Nightly releases, 07-24 and 07-25 contain an issue that makes it so that audio isn't functioning properly. This is always a possibility. It's a Nightly, unstable, release. You cannot complain that it's not working on a version that's not intended to be stable.

This brings me to another point, the "Stable" release category. Moto G's most recent "Stable" release, M6, is really pretty stable. On everyday use, I could not see any one issue with it. The reason for there not being a M7 or M8 "Stable" release, is that there's issues with them, so CyanogenMod decided that it shouldn't be classed "Stable" for our device and therefor did not release them. I'm sure that, when there's a new safe-to-be-called-Stable release, CyanogenMod will push that to our device as well.

CyanogenMod is open source. There are bugs in it. You sign up for that in exchange for some new features and continued support from the developers. For the most part, the core software is stable. It's the "drivers" for the phone that are causing issues. Also, the new features have to be tested and the bugs that are in them should get reported to CyanogenMod so that the team can fix them. If you don't report the bugs, how would they get squashed? I have reported the audio issue on the most recent Nightly releases to CyanogenMod, which brings it to their attention and, while it is being fixed, the Nightly releases are temporarily postponed until the issue is fixed to prevent any further harm that this issue might cause. That is what CyanogenMod is about. They release something, obtain feedback, fix it, release that fix, obtain feedback, fix it and release that fix. That cycle keeps continuing. If they don't obtain feedback, they will just keep doing what they are doing -- add new features, which might cause the bugs you found to keep being there forever and ever.

And you may say that trying to report stuff in Nightly releases isn't 'allowed' on their feedback site, you're looking in the wrong place. You should look in the Nightly Regressions section of the CyanogenMod JIRA -- not the regular Issues section.

If you have any comment on what I just stated, please do reply to me. If there's anything that's wrong with what I just stated, please do correct me. If you dislike anything about what I just stated, please do not just post a hate comment on it -- actually explain what you don't like and why so I can, in turn, respond to that as well.

Thanks for reading.

moto_g_n00b

Jul 20, 2014
Whoooa... sorry guys didn't mean to offend anyone just wanted to vent.

My point is if some 12 year old can get audio working on some ****ty outdated low end samsung device with no sources (eg the s5830i), whoever is in charge of the Moto G (a modern, officially supported device btw) should be able to AT LEAST MAKE THE DAMN AUDIO FECKING WORK.

IMHO custom ROMs are dead and xposed is the future.

moto_g_n00b

Jul 20, 2014
I've just heard they've stopped development for the Moto G entirely. Motorola and the various carriers their phones are on have got their act together and released 4.4.4, CM haven't finished... ...anything.

Senexis

Mar 19, 2013
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
OnePlus 8T
Whoooa... sorry guys didn't mean to offend anyone just wanted to vent.

My point is if some 12 year old can get audio working on some ****ty outdated low end samsung device with no sources (eg the s5830i), whoever is in charge of the Moto G (a modern, officially supported device btw) should be able to AT LEAST MAKE THE DAMN AUDIO FECKING WORK.

IMHO custom ROMs are dead and xposed is the future.

Whoa… No need to swear. I'm not flaming on you. I even partially agree with you. I just provided you with what I think about the matter, and nothing negative about any of what you commented. There's absolutely no need to go crazy about what a few members comment on your post.

Have a great day, sir, and lighten up a bit. :)